Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
WTF!  

this
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]

(Police tape)

Gabe Watson: Just turned and kicked and shoot straight back ... right up to the top.

Gabe's problem was that the story he told of his dive with Tina, didn't match the dive recorded on his computer.

Gabe
aborted his first dive that morning with Tina. When he got under, he
said, his dive computer started "beep beeping" a malfunction. The two
had to surface.

Brad Flynn:
This is where red flags start popping up. His statement was that when
he got back to the boat, he realized that the batteries were in
backwards.

(Police tape)

Gabe Watson: I pulled the battery out, swapped it around, hooked it back up…

Brad Flynn: I've never seen any electrical device that operates whatsoever if the batteries are in backwards.

The
Australian police tested that common-sense theory and, sure enough,
with the batteries put in backwards in Gabe’s dive computer, the thing
didn't work at all. There would have been no underwater "beeps" and
that aborted dive wouldn't have been recorded at all.

But it had recorded the first dive. It showed Gabe going down a few feet, then coming back up.

Brad Flynn: It registered. It was downloaded. The information from that dive was downloaded by the Queensland police.

Dennis Murphy: So if this dive computer is working, but he tells Tina, "We've got to go back up.” Why would he do that?

Brad Flynn:
That's the million-dollar question. Gabe and Tina were the only two
people there. And we're having to backtrack to fill in the pieces here.

So
now the cops were comparing the statements made by Gabe in his video
with the statement made by the dive computer, and they weren't matching
up.

This is how Gabe described his desperate attempt to reach Tina as she fell to the bottom.

(Police tape)

Gabe
Watson: I went down. Started kicking down and I was kicking down but as
fast as I was kicking down to go get her, she was ... she was going
down just as fast.

But the dive computer said that never happened. It showed no attempt to sharply descend after Tina.

And it also contradicted his account of bursting to the surface after he'd made the decision to go for help ASAP.

(Police tape)

Gabe
Watson: So from that point, I just ... I pretty much just turned and
pretty much just rocketed to the top and, you know, I'm amazed that I
didn't end up with the bends or something.

But the dive computer recorded a downright leisurely ascent:

Brad Flynn: It took him over two minutes to cover that distance.

Dennis Murphy: To go 40 feet?

Brad Flynn: Forty feet.

Seasoned divers say that's a snail's pace. A safe ascent from that depth could be made in 45 seconds to a little over a minute.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

(Police tape)

Gabe Watson: Just turned and kicked and shoot straight back ... right up to the top.

Gabe's problem was that the story he told of his dive with Tina, didn't match the dive recorded on his computer.

Gabeaborted his first dive that morning with Tina. When he got under, hesaid, his dive computer started "beep beeping" a malfunction. The twohad to surface.

Brad Flynn:This is where red flags start popping up. His statement was that whenhe got back to the boat, he realized that the batteries were inbackwards.

(Police tape)

Gabe Watson: I pulled the battery out, swapped it around, hooked it back up…

Brad Flynn: I've never seen any electrical device that operates whatsoever if the batteries are in backwards.

TheAustralian police tested that common-sense theory and, sure enough,with the batteries put in backwards in Gabe’s dive computer, the thingdidn't work at all. There would have been no underwater "beeps" andthat aborted dive wouldn't have been recorded at all.

But it had recorded the first dive. It showed Gabe going down a few feet, then coming back up.

Brad Flynn: It registered. It was downloaded. The information from that dive was downloaded by the Queensland police.

Dennis Murphy: So if this dive computer is working, but he tells Tina, "We've got to go back up.” Why would he do that?

Brad Flynn:That's the million-dollar question. Gabe and Tina were the only twopeople there. And we're having to backtrack to fill in the pieces here.

Sonow the cops were comparing the statements made by Gabe in his videowith the statement made by the dive computer, and they weren't matchingup.

This is how Gabe described his desperate attempt to reach Tina as she fell to the bottom.

(Police tape)

GabeWatson: I went down. Started kicking down and I was kicking down but asfast as I was kicking down to go get her, she was ... she was goingdown just as fast.

But the dive computer said that never happened. It showed no attempt to sharply descend after Tina.

And it also contradicted his account of bursting to the surface after he'd made the decision to go for help ASAP.

(Police tape)

GabeWatson: So from that point, I just ... I pretty much just turned andpretty much just rocketed to the top and, you know, I'm amazed that Ididn't end up with the bends or something.

But the dive computer recorded a downright leisurely ascent:

Brad Flynn: It took him over two minutes to cover that distance.

Dennis Murphy: To go 40 feet?

Brad Flynn: Forty feet.

Seasoned divers say that's a snail's pace. A safe ascent from that depth could be made in 45 seconds to a little over a minute.

Fucking cockfag
I hope he fries! I wish him a painful, slow death.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, one year.  The legal system is just as broken here . . .

He was tried in Australia.

Ex Girlfriends father was just convicted in the 1976 bbeating / strangulation murder of his wife (ex's mother) and concealing the corpse for three decades. Hr got three years. Wisconsin court.

W T F????????????

Yup, it was truly fucked up.

http://www.wisn.com/news/15339966/detail.html

He got 5 years, and if they wouldn't have entered that plea deal he would still be a free man.

They couldn't find a body, which makes it damn near impossible to prove homicide.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Give this asshole a 15 minute waterboard  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Simply no proof this guy did it.  I'm not saying he didn't.  Just saying no jury would ever be able to convict him.

"Ladies and gentleman of the jury, in addition to the circumstancial evidence we have, let me tell you about the defendant's guilty plea in an Australian court."
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C-4, if I may, this is for all of the slow pokes....

What he is saying is that apparently the Australian legal system is just as fucked up as the American system.

"The legal system (in Australia) is just as broken here (here being America)...."

It doesn't take a mental giant, people.
I was about to post the same thing.  I didn't see anything confusing at all about C-4's comment.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He probably would have gotten more than one year for manslaughter here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait I'm confused. Did he "kill" her by pressuring her into diving and then she had an accident or by drowning her purposefully? This article is full of irrelevant information and just poorly writen

IIRC, he turned off her air from behind, and held her down.

Yep. Pretty much impossible to turn off your own air from behind by accident.

Very easily of you're held in a bear hug by a guy twice your size.

Turning off your own air is easy to do, not that anyone would do that on purpose without breathing from another regulator first.

Yes but he said "by accident."
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AL is going after him when he is released since he planned the murder here.

I hope they've got some evidence and that the statute hasn't run.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wheres the backstory where it says he planned it for months?

He made her get a life-insurance policy naming him beneficiary BEFORE they were even married. Her family wisely talked her out of it (though fatass didn't know that when he killed her).

According to her dive instructor - she did NOT want to learn diving, and was deathly afraid of diving - but was pressured by her fat soon-to-be-killer.

Unpossible.  Have you ever tried getting a fearful woman to do something that they've already decided in their mind that they didn't want to do?  If my girlfriend made her mind up that she didn't want to go diving, she's not going diving.  This is the big hole in this story in my mind.  

The guy seems like a clown though.  I've been diving a plenty and there is no way I'd leave my diving buddy especially at the novice level.  If I surface, he/she is coming with me.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]
The guy is scum...he changed his story 16 different times....his dive computer proves he never "rocketed to the surface to get help" it took him 2 minutes to ascend 45 feet....the guy that did grab the wife from the bottom made the ascent of 100 feet in 90 seconds carrying her!

His other stories were such crap...at 5 foot tall and 100 pounds she was "too heavy" for him to lift?

If you read all the different accounts he made it is obvious he killed her.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glasgow said it was likely Watsonkilled his wife by holding her underwater and turning off her airsupply. The coroner said a possible motive was her modest lifeinsurance policy.

Unfortunately while that may be true, unless someone actually saw THAT happen, or the guy confessed, how are they going to prove it. I had the same reaction when I first saw this story, but what proof is there that the guy killed her other than that he should have been able to rescue her?

No shit...Unless there is a confession or a Blue Ray disk with him doing it...I say the fucker walks..Life insurance check and all..

I have not looked into this specifics of this story...but damn.. there doesn't need to be a preponderance of evidence these days
to put a mofo on death row..

He will do a year because of motive?....I have motive to do a lot of shit...but does that,in and of it's self, make me guilty?

Eta..ok..I read into it a little ....He was up to something...Who knows..Money makes people do strange things..

My father was murdered for his life insurance by my step mother and my entire family could not get a thing done..

It happens every day...I guess it matters if you are considered a "high profile" type or in his case..where it happened..

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He created the means (pressuring her to scuba dive)

He created the motive (made her get a life-insurance policy)

He created the opportunity (lied about why they were separated from the rest of the dive group)

And there was a witness.  

Thanks for the summary.  If this is all true, seems like a strong case.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No shit...Unless there is a confession or a Blue Ray disk with him doing it...I say the fucker walks..Life insurance check and all..

I have not looked into this specifics of this story...but damn.. there doesn't need to be a preponderance of evidence these days
to put a mofo on death row..

From the article:
An American man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday for the manslaughter of his wife,

I'd say "I'm guilty" is a preponderance of evidence.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Turning off your own air is easy to do, .....

Only if the tank was mounted low enough on the BC for the diver to reach the valve over their shoulder, and they don't know enough to push the tank up with the left hand while reaching over to the valve with the right.

A common mistake of many new divers is to mount it too low (which makes it a PITA to swim with) or too high (in which case you're banging your head against the first stage the whole time, especially on entry).
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know 2 divers who risked their own life by trying to catch up to their dive buddy who was ascending like an arrow to the surface to try and slow em down

A classmate of mine and I who were both divemasters managed to grab one guy who flipped out at around 90 feet. He was a student and we were nearby, so there was no risk of life from our end, but when you see those eyes bugging outside the mask, YOU MOVE.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
His other stories were such crap...at 5 foot tall and 100 pounds she was "too heavy" for him to lift?

Drop the weight belt and hit the CO2 cartridge (assuming they still have those) and HOLD ON! Elevator going ALL the way up!

Bullshit excuse. If she was that small, she probably didn't need that much weight on her weight belt to begin with, and after about 15 feet, the use for the weights begins to drop off as the wetsuit compresses.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top