User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why people don't talk about blade steel, which is the most important factor of a knife, not brand or price.
if two knives using the same steel, how can they justify huge price difference, just due to the brand?
View Quote

The Steel goes without saying.   Except on models that are made with multiple types.  Then you have to specify.

I like the high end, US made Kershaws, but you have to be careful, because they also market cheaper Chinese versions.

Benchmade has a big fan base, and they are a lot like Glock aficionados.   The Brand is what matters.  Nothing else will do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because the blade steel is significantly less important than fit an finish, with tempering of said steel being a huge part of that quality factor.  You can quote me how much better M390 and Elmax are than 154CM any day of the week, and i'd agree, if all things are equal, but if the heat treat on that Elmax or M390 is shit, then the knife is going to be shit too, no matter how much you want throw around how great your 3rd gen powder steel knife is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why people don't talk about blade steel, which is the most important factor of a knife, not brand or price.
if two knives using the same steel, how can they justify huge price difference, just due to the brand?

Because the blade steel is significantly less important than fit an finish, with tempering of said steel being a huge part of that quality factor.  You can quote me how much better M390 and Elmax are than 154CM any day of the week, and i'd agree, if all things are equal, but if the heat treat on that Elmax or M390 is shit, then the knife is going to be shit too, no matter how much you want throw around how great your 3rd gen powder steel knife is.

I'm actually growing tired of powdered steels. In my experiences, they're harder to sharpen and seem a bit more chippy under hard use for a very slight increase in edge retention. Not to mention pretty much all high production companies have ongoing issues burning the edge during sharpening of powdered steels.

I think 154CM is superior to S30V and CPM154 in a hard use blade. Hell, I'll take 440C or AUS8 for a beater knife over most powdered steels even. Not to say tye testing was realistic, but everyone freaked out all these expensive knives were breaking in Noss' knife tests. Realistically it wasn't because of the brand being a rip off like some took it as, it was all of the fancy "modern" powdered steel blades breaking long before the traditional steel blades.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top