BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone looks so happy, just look at all their bright faces.

Different culture.  Have you ever been to Quebec or France?  They don't smile much in public either.

They are plenty happy.

Aunts and cousins.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0166.jpg

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0170.jpg

Nice looking family.

Besides, I don't know anyone that particularly enjoys going to Wal-Mart.

Thanks.  They are really great people.  Me and my BIL both married into the family within months of each other.  And we are the first non Moroccans in the family.  I'm American and he is American but of Indian (dot not feather) decent.  

They literately treated us like family from the very start.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question. Was there any pork products in the meat section?

No.  I looked at just about every single item too.  But it really didn't surprise me.  Muslims and Jews make up over 99% of the population.  There just isn't enough pork eaters to support a market.  I suppose you could find some in Casablanca but not the smaller cities.

I do know my wife's Dad used to hunt hog and bring it back and they would eat it.

www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/porc%2Bcharcuterie/video/x4nr8m_le-marocroyaume-du-cochon_fun

For whose unlucky enough to not fully understand our wonderful language, The first producer is arab and the 2nd one is jewish. They are saying that they are not able to produce enough pork because of the high number of tourist (nearly 10 millions/year).

Their motto: S'il y'a du tourisme, faut bien qu'il y'ai du cochon

I'm sure it is around, especially in touristy areas.  But Tanger is just a transit point.  I looked and didn't find any.  Casa, Fez, Agadir and Marrekesh has some for sure.

Et oui, ta langue est trés belle.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different culture.  Have you ever been to Quebec or France?  They don't smile much in public either.

They are plenty happy.

Aunts and cousins.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0166.jpg

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0170.jpg

Is the chick on the far left stuck? My mother always warned me not to make faces  See that's what happens!?  I tease you though, you have a very happy looking family - which is awesome.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about the ammo counter?

Shotguns only and require a special permit.  I never saw a gunstore.  I did see the shotgun club driving by.

The club drove by, or you drove by the club?

First time I read it, I thought there was a pickup driving around with a dozen
gun toting club members.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool pics!

That store reminds me of the one I would frequent in Doha, Qatar.

If you were due small change back, instead they would just give you a roll of mints or the like because they didn't do the coinage thing much over there (most are wealthy there).

Have you picked up much Moroccan Arabic, Sherrick?

For those interested in the funny name of the place in the pics, Aswak is the plural for souk, which just means market or bazar.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks pretty damn squalid 3rd-worldish, but it also looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.  That's a good comment on their society.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#7]

It looks pretty damn squalid 3rd-worldish, but it also looks like they make an effort to keep it clean. That's a good comment on their society.

Maghrebi Arabs are truly distinct in many ways.

Most Maghrebis are fluent in two or three languages.  They take a great deal of pride in their relative cosmopolitan societies compared to the Gulf Arabs, who they view as the Beverly Hillbillies.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
What the fuck?

No jeeps in the parking lot
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It looks pretty damn squalid 3rd-worldish, but it also looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.  That's a good comment on their society.
I've been to Haiti, and those pics don't look 3rd-worldish to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Great pics

Caught an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern in Morroco.
He was at an outdoor market. Showed some kind of putrid meat with eggs. One of the few things I've seen him struggle to get down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool pics Sherrick, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  Port au Prince....3rd world
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Great post. Thanks for the map and grid coordinates to the house. Now we can shop in town and stop over for a meal

Nice pictures!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Do they have a deoderant aisle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I see the bottled water there, did you stay away from the piped water? did they have running water?

Do they have porcilan like here or slits in the floor like in Korea?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about the ammo counter?

Shotguns only and require a special permit.  I never saw a gunstore.  I did see the shotgun club driving by.

The club drove by, or you drove by the club?

First time I read it, I thought there was a pickup driving around with a dozen
gun toting club members.

I drove by it.  I would have liked to stop but I was with uncles and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Cool pics!

That store reminds me of the one I would frequent in Doha, Qatar.

If you were due small change back, instead they would just give you a roll of mints or the like because they didn't do the coinage thing much over there (most are wealthy there).

Have you picked up much Moroccan Arabic, Sherrick?

For those interested in the funny name of the place in the pics, Aswak is the plural for souk, which just means market or bazar.

I only know about 20 words or so.  I do pretty do with French though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Great pics !

The meat looks good, what is it ?  Is the camel head a clue ? I'm not trying to be disrespectful or funny, I just never knew they ate camel in the ME. I always thought it was like the USA and horsemeat.

Your pics make me want to visit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing!

-James
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It looks pretty damn squalid 3rd-worldish, but it also looks like they make an effort to keep it clean. That's a good comment on their society.

Maghrebi Arabs are truly distinct in many ways.

Most Maghrebis are fluent in two or three languages.  They take a great deal of pride in their relative cosmopolitan societies compared to the Gulf Arabs, who they view as the Beverly Hillbillies.

There is still quite a bit of 3rd world, especially in the countryside, but the cities are progressing quite nicely.  And even more impressive is how much their society itself has progressed.  My wife is amazed how far they have come just in the last five years.  It is driven a lot by their current King.  He really wants them to be part of the normal world.

All the cities were very clean with the exception of Casa.  It is still dirty.

In Tanger I saw these guys everywhere.

And you are correct in that Northern Africans like to think of themselves as semi European.  They have a ways to go, but they are making progress.

Just as an aside, I did not hide the fact I was American and most everyone I met wanted to tell me about how much they know about America using the five or six words of English they knew.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Fascinating pix - Thanks for posting!

I guess I could understand consumer demand for many different kinds of olives in that part of the world...but 25 different kinds of flour?

Going in to ethnic groceries, that's always what gets me - the huge variety of grain products.  Makes a huge difference too, I've started to cook with the rice I buy from an Indian Grocery, it's 100 times better than that Minute Rice crap from the Krogers.

Cool pictures.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Great pics

He was at an outdoor market. Showed some kind of putrid meat with eggs. One of the few things I've seen him struggle to get down.

That was a good show.  The egg thing is Berber country stuff.  Not normal Moroccan fare.  There is really nothing that most people here wouldn't eat with the exception of beef tongue.

They have really good food, but they use the same spices over and over and it gets a little monotonous after a while.  That is when you go get a pizza.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Do they have a deoderant aisle?

Yes, and they even have toilet paper.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They have really good food, but they use the same spices over and over and it gets a little monotonous after a while.  That is when you go get a pizza.

Corriander, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I see the bottled water there, did you stay away from the piped water? did they have running water?

Water was no problem.  I drank from the tap every day.  Bottled water over there, like here, is a status symbol.

They had both, good and bad pottys.

Good potty in pizza place

Bad potty in roadside gas station

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Great pics !

The meat looks good, what is it ?  Is the camel head a clue ? I'm not trying to be disrespectful or funny, I just never knew they ate camel in the ME. I always thought it was like the USA and horsemeat.

Your pics make me want to visit.

The camel is unusual, that was the only place I saw it.  We didn't buy it and my wife has never eaten it.  My BIL tried some at a restaurant, he said it was ok.

They eat beef, chicken, lamb, and fish in pretty much equal amounts.  It just depends on family preference.  Goat every once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corriander, isn't it?

Saffron, cumin, cinnamon, cilantro and lemon mainly.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been to very rural parts of Mexico, and those pics don't look third world to me either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water was no problem.  I drank from the tap every day.  Bottled water over there, like here, is a status symbol.

They had both, good and bad pottys.

Good potty in pizza place

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0206.jpg

Bad potty in roadside gas station

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/IMG_0433-1.jpg

Ugh.  A squat toilet.

Apparently they are actually much better for you than a sit down unit, but I can't imagine it being comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fascinating pix - Thanks for posting!

I guess I could understand consumer demand for many different kinds of olives in that part of the world...but 25 different kinds of flour?

Going in to ethnic groceries, that's always what gets me - the huge variety of grain products.  Makes a huge difference too, I've started to cook with the rice I buy from an Indian Grocery, it's 100 times better than that Minute Rice crap from the Krogers.

Cool pictures.

Must be using good old Basmati.  Iranians turned me on to Basmati rice (being the rice snobs that they are), and now I find myself looking at other types of rice as crude filler
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The chic in the first pic bending over has a nice pooper.

Do they always stick their butts in the air for the camera?
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]
sherrick13
When you got married you didnt just get a wife you got an adventure .

Cool pics
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yeah, cause everyone is all smiles all the time at a fucking wal*mart.

wtf
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How many kinds of hashish?

25, but I didn't try any.  I did drive through the area where it is prevalent.  The Rif mountains. I didn't see any.

Did you get to meet Mulay Ahmed Muhammed el Raisuli the Magnificent, Lord of the Rif, Shereef to the Riffian Berbers, and True Defender of the Faithful?

How about the Shereef of Wazan?  

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for posting those pics.

When are you going back?

From the pics you posted, I'd say Morocco is at least 50-75 years more advanced than Senegal.

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks like a very interesting place to visit... but I'm glad I live in America.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

25, but I didn't try any.  I did drive through the area where it is prevalent.  The Rif mountains. I didn't see any.

Did you get to meet Mulay Ahmed Muhammed el Raisuli the Magnificent, Lord of the Rif, Shereef to the Riffian Berbers, and True Defender of the Faithful?

No. Never heard of him.  And it is Moulay.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Looks like a very interesting place to visit... but I'm glad I live in America.

It is interesting.  But I'm glad I live here also.  I could have a vacation home there but I wouldn't want to live there full time, even if the gun laws were the same.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great pics

That was a good show.  The egg thing is Berber country stuff.  Not normal Moroccan fare.  There is really nothing that most people here wouldn't eat with the exception of beef tongue.

Man, you don't know what you're missing!

Mmm. Lengua tacos.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]
damn, looks nicer than a lot of walmarts i've seen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting those pics.

When are you going back?

From the pics you posted, I'd say Morocco is at least 50-75 years more advanced than Senegal.

Maybe this summer, depends on a wedding.  Next summer probably France so maybe 2010.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the cutie with the pink capries and sexy legs taken?
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Siham.  She is probably getting married this summer.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, oh well its good to know they build them with pride in Morocco. How is her name pronounced? I'm thinking SHEE-HAAM.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, oh well its good to know they build them with pride in Morocco. How is her name pronounced? I'm thinking SHEE-HAAM.

No shhh.  Just Seeham.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks, as hard as I try not to I am still forced to learn something every day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Does the number 25 hold some special significance?

2+5 = 7
5-2 = 3

Numbers of perfection/completeness.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct...I misspelled Raisuli's first name.

I was pulling your leg and wanted to see how many folks would recognize an old Berber brigand...a brother to the Basha and uncle to the Sultan of Morocco in 1905.  He was already a notorious brigand known for his hatred of Europeans whom he often kidnapped for ransom, when he happened to do a habeous grabbus on an American...one Mr. Pedicaris.  This act of brigandage incensed our tough president who promptly sent warships to Tangier harbor along with a dire threat in a telegram to the Sultan which simply said:  "Pedecaris alive...or Raisuli dead".  Teddy Roosevelt really did believe in the old African adage to speak softly and carry a big stick!

Hollywood made a movie of this incident entitled, "The Wind and The Lion".
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Very cool

Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct...I misspelled Raisuli's first name.

I was pulling your leg and wanted to see how many folks would recognize an old Berber brigand...a brother to the Basha and uncle to the Sultan of Morocco in 1905.  He was already a notorious brigand known for his hatred of Europeans whom he often kidnapped for ransom, when he happened to do a habeous grabbus on an American...one Mr. Pedicaris.  This act of brigandage incensed our tough president who promptly sent warships to Tangier harbor along with a dire threat in a telegram to the Sultan which simply said:  "Pedecaris alive...or Raisuli dead".  Teddy Roosevelt really did believe in the old African adage to speak softly and carry a big stick!

Hollywood made a movie of this incident entitled, "The Wind and The Lion".

I know who you are talking about now.  No I didn't see him, not even a statue.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top