Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I love it here in Michigan as well.

I do as well. +10

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why does your flag say if you seek a peninsula, you had better be circumcised?

You sir are A dork.....it says "if you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you)

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mountains...not Rockies but

http://porcupineup.com/fall/

Positives...

Plenty of wilderness and places to shoot and offroad.

no permit open carry, yes

Shall issue CCW, yes

Full Auto, yes

suppressors, yes

AWB, NO

no permit rifle purchase

good fishing, yes

good hunting, yes

NO feecking vehicle emissions check

70mph speed limits

Lots of lakes (clear lakes...not muddy reservoirs)

Seasons...unless you hate snow, but keeps the bugs small

Negatives,

need a permit or CCW for handgun purchase

No SBR/SBS

Detroit and Flint

$4.00 gas

+10

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I love Michigan, with the exception of Detroit and the southern industrial corridor.

I'd live in the UP gladly. Good folks in the rural parts, too.

This. I'd love to live in the UP.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Love it here during spring, summer & fall. Winter not so much.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate to say it as someone who spent most of my life in Mi, but after spending the last couple years in Wi, Wi is what Mi would like to be
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Eh... you Canadians crack me up.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I was raised in northern lower MI, worked in the UP two summers, and moved to Texas 30 years ago.  MI has the cleanest water, best hunting, is super in the spring and fall.  You freeze your *ss off in the winter, and the sheeple there give up their freedom too easily, but it is a great place to visit.  

Cons-  bottle deposit, permits required to do anything to your own house/land, high taxes, low speed limits (parts of Texas are 80 & 85), environmental wackos (the DNR as one example).

I lived near Traverse City-they agonized for decades over whether to build a bridge over a river you could throw a rock across-last I knew they still hadn't because they could not be sure there would not be an "environmental impact".

Overall, I had a good upbringing, but my children were raised and will remain in Texas.  I have cemetary plots here and will be buried here.

ETA-  and Detroit is an open-air cesspool!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If there was a single job to be had in the UP, I'd live there.

Why would you want a job?     get on welfare like everyone else.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
michigan the state is great grew up there my whole life until 4 years ago moving to CO, now i don't know which state i like better, mountains or lakes..

although detroit should be burned and bulldozed in that order

That job is about half done.!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
michigan the state is great grew up there my whole life until 4 years ago moving to CO, now i don't know which state i like better, mountains or lakes..

That job is about half done.!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Never been.  

Glad you like it though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I spent 6 months in Novi this past year.

Good food and good people, just way more traffic and people than I am used to.

I already miss eating at Bagger Dave's and Lellies on the Green.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes it is better than New Jersey.

Northern Michigan is great, keep away from all those bigger cities in the South and I could live there. But Detroit may jsut drag down the rest of the state, watch out for what they do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Grew up in Michigan.  A little shit hole called Ypsilanti.  The best parts of Michigan are middle and upper.  Tawas and Au GRES are beautiful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Lake Superior side is best.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I learned everything I care to know about Michigan from the show American "jury" and loan on TruTV.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to admit you do live in a beautiful state.  I live in TX but my wife is from Michigan.
We go up there every fall to see her relatives.  Your economy sucks but the state is a sportsmans
paradise.  Giant trees, big deer & rivers that actually have water in them.  I would like to summer there
and winter in TX.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I go up to Alpena every 3 or 4 years. Very nice in the summer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm gonna move to Detroit, i hear tell you can buy houses, factories and skyscrapers for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From my point of view, Northern Michigan has much to offer with State Parks, State Forests and Great Lakes all around.

that.  good place to visit.  

btw, wth is a pastie?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Michigan has lots of good hunting and fishing.

What it lacks are hurricanes, sinkholes, sharks, fire ants, massive tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, and huge wildfires.

We have good race tracks (MIS, Milan, U.S. 131).

Our runty little deer are still bigger than Texas whitetail.

Swim in our Great Lakes and nothing will try to eat or sting you.

Yeah... We have it pretty rough here... You follks just better keep yourseves at home.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Michigan, the North's version of Mississippi  

With snowmobiles!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went to Michigan in January to meet my GF's family. Nice folks inna midwest, even do dey tawk funny. Enjoyed my NV CCW recognition, saw Lansing, Bath and then spent a couple days in a cabin drinking and playing card games. Will go back to see the UP in favorable weather.

Bathtucky?

A friend owns the gun shop there. He's mostly a gunsmith. He sells guns, but they're all consignment guns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Born and raised in MIchigan, it really is a beautiful state other than the October-April rainy cloudy shit season. I miss the northwoods the most.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Of course, I'm biased from living on Michigan's Lake Michigan side and being born in the North.

..which entirely explains your positive attitude. Had you been raised near me, SE-MI, Wayne Co..... lot harder to state the message of your thread title. I live in the Downriver area, south of Detoilet. Commute through Detroit daily, work in Automotive. Good wages but hassle and stress due to never ending road construction, crime, saturation of Democrats. Have never had a Republican representative, ever.

I have property up in Wexford that is the most beautiful thing in the world to me.

If you could carve the cancer cities/people out of Michigan I would instantly agree with you.

sitting at work right now, mandatory OT. Leaving soon to commute through Detroit. Hey, the tigers won.

I do not love Michigan. I love specific parts of it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I grew up in the UP, the Keweenaw Peninsula and Houghton County specifically.

While not as mountainous or scenic as some places in the country, it truly has a place in the group of places described as God's Country.

The winters are long, but you can't let that keep you from doing things.  There a ton of things to do in the cold, snowy 6 months up there.

Now I'm stuck in the armpit, no............more like the taint of Michigan, Monroe County.  Unfortunately it was the only place in the state willing to accept my specific skill set, nuclear power, when I got out of the Navy.  Now, I'm far to vested into this company to just up and leave.  I've got about 10-13 years left and then I'm moving back up there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mountains...not Rockies but

http://porcupineup.com/fall/

Positives...

Plenty of wilderness and places to shoot and offroad.

no permit open carry, yes

Shall issue CCW, yes

Full Auto, yes

suppressors, yes

AWB, NO

no permit rifle purchase

good fishing, yes

good hunting, yes

NO feecking vehicle emissions check

70mph speed limits

Lots of lakes (clear lakes...not muddy reservoirs)

Seasons...unless you hate snow, but keeps the bugs small

Negatives,

need a permit or CCW for handgun purchase

No SBR/SBS

Detroit and Flint

$4.00 gas

Infested with ROPers. It's the home base for ROPers in our country.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I hate to say it as someone who spent most of my life in Mi, but after spending the last couple years in Wi, Wi is what Mi would like to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_SxDnD2W4

j/k Folks.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I grew up just outside Detroit, left in "72"  Visited a few times.

Michigan is a Great place to be From.

Roy
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

MDOC isn't hiring?  

You can get by sharpening chainsaws and doing small engine repair.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No gators, no swamp, no crawfish.  

Truth, lie, lie
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Michigan and NY have a ton in common.

The further you head north the better it gets.

Beautiful land, both of them.

Yup.

I have very often compared "upstaters" with Michiganders.

Finger Lakes people will appreciate Michigan.

If blindfolded and dropped in Michigan an upstater may not realize he's left home.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been to Michigan. Met a lot of good people.  I'd love to visit again to fish and I would love to deer hunt in the UP.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Plenty of jobs, just most are low wage. Don't come to the UP without some type of college degree in something worth a shit. (Not an Art major) Cost of living is cheap, and a good job wil have you living pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#37]
If we could just get rid of that Mackinac Bridge it would keep those pesky trolls out of the UP. God’s country!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MDOC isn't hiring?  

You can get by sharpening chainsaws and doing small engine repair.

I'd bet you're right.  Additionally, if I put the time and effort to get my Bridgeport and lathe up there, I could make a few odd dollars making things.

BTW, I don't want to work in a prison, unless it was a maintenance type of job.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never been.  Is there mountains there?

Nothing like you have there, but I can walk a couple hundred yards and see this....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3423/3866534494_82ec9699ef_b.jpg

DSC_0387 by Jennifer Kleinheksel, on Flickr

You see clouds?  I can see clouds too....oh wait I think you are talking about those 100 foot high hills......my bad, I thought you were going to say you have mountains...

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never been.  Is there mountains there?

Nothing like you have there, but I can walk a couple hundred yards and see this....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3423/3866534494_82ec9699ef_b.jpg
DSC_0387 by Jennifer Kleinheksel, on Flickr

You see clouds?  I can see clouds too....oh wait I think you are talking about those 100 foot high hills......my bad, I thought you were going to say you have mountains...  

Yeah... That was a dune, not a mountain. To see real rocks you'll need to go to the northern U.P. . Glaciers smoothed things out around 12,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Wish all the Detroit/liberal transplants living here would move back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You poor bastard.  

Poor thing he just dont know no better.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I love Michigan, with the exception of Detroit and the southern industrial corridor.

I'd live in the UP gladly. Good folks in the rural parts, too.

This. I'd love to live in the UP.  

If I could find a way to make a steady living up there, I would move without hesitation.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been to Michigan. Met a lot of good people.  I'd love to visit again to fish and I would love to deer hunt in the UP.  

if you want to deer hunt michigan and have a chance at a decent deer, come to the southern third.

J-
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_SxDnD2W4

j/k Folks.

That is funny. Actually the drinking part is entirely true..Went out to breakfast this last Saturday morning and honest to god there were four ladies at the table next to us having bloody marys with beer chasers. Saw an article in the newspaper a few months back about a local problem..college kids were getting too drunk and wandering into the river and drowning. Also they make cheese sticks with cheddar cheese..kinda gross.

And driving..I have never lived anywhere where people are so eager to drive under the speed limit, or slam on their brakes to let someone walking (still a half block away) cross the street. Still I have been pleasantly surprised living here!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#46]
50 facts about Michigan, stolen shamelessly from IMAO
http://www.imao.us/

* Michigan became the 26th state on January 26th, 1837, and was originally a penal colony for disloyal Canadians who refused to say “eh?” at the end of every sentence.

* If someone from Michigan flips you off, don’t be offended. He’s probably just trying to tell you to take I-75 to Mackinaw City.

* Famous singer Madonna was born in Detriot, Michigan, which may explain why her bras looked like the hubcaps from a ’57 Chevy.

* Michingan’s nickname is the “Wolverine State”, even though there are no longer any wolverines in the state. The last Michigan wolverine died in 1872 when it was eaten by a badger while attempting to sneak across the border into Wisconsin.

* Rogers City, Michigan boasts the world’s largest limestone quarry, which is where Fred Flintstone used to work before he made it big in Hollywood.

* Yes, I know Fred Flintstone lived in Bedrock, but he commuted.

* Being surrounded by four of the five Great Lakes, Michigan has more bridges than any other state, most of which Ted Kennedy has driven off of at one time or another.

* The Detroit Zoo does not keep its animals in cages, because they all know better than to wander the streets of Detroit after dark.

* Industrialist Henry Ford was born in Dearborn, Michigan, and invented the assembly line to streamline the process of killing union agitators.

* The world’s largest crucifix is located in Indian River, Michigan. Requests from the National Endowment for the Arts to dip it in the world’s largest jar of urine have so far been ignored.

* The Ambassador Bridge connecting Michigan to Canada was built in 1953 and has since been heavily mined to prevent more talentless, hack actors like William Shatner from sneaking into our country.

* No matter where you stand in Michigan, you’re less than 100 miles from one of the Great Lakes. If you’re in Detroit, you’re also less than 100 feet from the scene of a violent crime.

* Politician Thomas Dewey was born in Owosso, Michigan, and mentored Al Gore in how to lose a close election.

* Most snowblowers sold in Michigan are manufactured in Detroit and come with 10-year/100,000 mile warranties.

* They usually expire due to mileage.

* The name Michigan comes from the Chippewa Indian word “Mishigawa”, meaning “half my pocket change is Canadian, eh?”

* Rock & Roll legend Ted Nugent was born in Detroit, Michigan, but left the state in 1982 after he ran out of animals to kill there.

* Although the Western shore of Michigan has many large sand dunes, it has no camels as they were hunted to extinction by Ted Nugent in 1981.

* James Vernor invented Ginger Ale in his Detroit pharmacy. It’s one of the most popular drinks in the nation, except in Kansas, where it’s regularly outsold by Mary Ann Ale.

* Michigan is the only place in the world with a floating post office, which is frequently attacked by disgruntled former employees “going pirate”.

* Aviator Charles Lindbergh was born in Detroit, Michigan. His solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927 was the first recorded instance of an American being glad to arrive in France.

* Michigan has more than 11,000 lakes, all of which have – at one time or another – hidden Jimmy Hoffa.

* In the 1950′s & 60′s, the prevalence of Detroit black singing groups created the style of music known as “Motown”. Since the advent of rap, it’s been called “Mofotown”.

* In 1929, The Michigan State Police established the world’s first police radio system after inventing the chocolate glazed radio receiver.

* The state reptile of Michigan is the Painted Turtle, or – as the natives refer to it – the Crunchy Speed Bump.

That wraps up the Michigan edition of Fun Facts About the 50 States. Next week we’ll STILL be frighteningly vulnerable to Canadian moose attacks as we explore Minnesota.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go jam out to some funky Mofotown grooves.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, the burned part is about completed, now for the dozer work.

D9s work for you?

and I really do like the state, we are improving rapidly now that the wart is history.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course, I'm biased from living on Michigan's Lake Michigan side and being born in the North.

..which entirely explains your positive attitude. Had you been raised near me, SE-MI, Wayne Co..... lot harder to state the message of your thread title. I live in the Downriver area, south of Detoilet. Commute through Detroit daily, work in Automotive. Good wages but hassle and stress due to never ending road construction, crime, saturation of Democrats. Have never had a Republican representative, ever.

I have property up in Wexford that is the most beautiful thing in the world to me.

If you could carve the cancer cities/people out of Michigan I would instantly agree with you.

sitting at work right now, mandatory OT. Leaving soon to commute through Detroit. Hey, the tigers won.

I do not love Michigan. I love specific parts of it.

Hoxeyville.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Ya, I just loved the highways that jar you fillings out!  Hell, even the Detroit airport Taxiways are rough!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Our new slogan:

Michigan- it's a place to live!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top