Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some of you clowns know as much about cars INSERT GD TOPIC as you do about relationships INSERT GD TOPIC

FIFY

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]

cant get traction..
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Camaros are easy to beat. Just drive past the trailer park where they are all up on cinder blocks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing like a turbo kicking in.

Have been in the drivers seat of a few high horse V-8`s..they just didn`t pull hard like a smaller motor with a turbo.

Have a friend who was running around 20 PSI of turbo power in a 911 Porsche. At 90 MPH, back tires were still trying to spin loose. The pull & G-forces were unbelievable.

Look I admit I am getting old but I was the proud owner of a 1970 LS6 454 Chevelle. Rectangular ports,high rise manifold,850cfm Holly double pumper. Admittedly old school. With a 336 rear it would melt the tires at highway speeds when I dumped the throttle. At a traffic light,my heavy ass full size car would have trouble hooking up at first butt once those tires stuck it would pull your colon right out of your ass and smoke most everything on the road.
Now I have 350 c class Benz and have a whole new appreciation of small cc screamers. 120mph and diamond cutting smoothness is nice. I do want an AMG C63. Old school muscle car horsepower and Euro sophistication in a luxury format =

those big block muscle cars usually ran 1/4 mile times somewhere in the 13's, which is plenty fast.

you'd expect a little more from a 500+ hp car but those shitty bias ply tires they had back then just didn't provide enough traction

and the cars were heavy

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw a family car get froggy with a SS Camaro at the light

Some lady driving with a lead foot....appeared to have her husband in the passenger seat and a child seat in the rear.

Took off from the light nicely in her 550 BMW but then I heard the turbo spool up in the SS and it was over...

The F body had a turbo 6.0  

a 550i gets to 60mph in 4.8 seconds –– with an automatic transmission.  by the time you "heard the turbo spool up" the race was over –– in fact any street guy will tell you that the finish line is the other side of the intersection.  

anyway, it's a bit of a stretch to compare a car that can actually corner and has leather-chair-in-the-living-room comfort to a camaro.  

ar-jedi

the only really useful number is the 1/4 mile time

there are plenty of small cars that will jump right up to 60

that used to be a selling point for the sporty 4 bangers when they first started selling them:  "beats a porsche to 60!!"

then the POS turns in a 17 second quarter
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

anyway, it's a bit of a stretch to compare a car that can actually corner and has leather-chair-in-the-living-room comfort to a camaro.  

+1 And won't rattle apart in a year.

hardee har har

first of all, that camaro would easily whip the ass of the BMW for both cornering and accelleration.  

second, BMWs are built like shit, they're right up there with volkswagen

I used to be friends with a guy who worked at the biggest BMW dealership in florida

the salesmen would stand behind the customers and pretend to shear their hair - "shearing the sheep"

he told me that they had a huge repo rate on the cars, all the phony wannabees getting in over their head

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hardee har har

first of all, that camaro would easily whip the ass of the BMW for both cornering and accelleration.  

I used to be friends with a guy who worked at the biggest BMW dealership in florida

the salesmen would stand behind the customers and pretend to shear their hair - "shearing the sheep"

he told me that they had a huge repo rate on the cars, all the phony wannabees getting in over their head

UAW?

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

As a person that's been around the muscle car stuff for years I'm going to call bullshit on this. I love me some v8 power but I'm smart enough to know that some grocery getters aren't made to fuck around with. Camaros are pathetic in the corners.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

As a person that's been around the muscle car stuff for years I'm going to call bullshit on this. I love me some v8 power but I'm smart enough to know that some grocery getters aren't made to fuck around with. Camaros are pathetic in the corners.

Stock?  Maybe.  Other than stock?  I have to disagree.  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
550's are quick. SS is lucky it wasn't an M5.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some lady driving with a lead foot....appeared to have her husband in the passenger seat and a child seat in the rear.

Took off from the light nicely in her 550 BMW but then I heard the turbo spool up in the SS and it was over...

a 550i gets to 60mph in 4.8 seconds –– with an automatic transmission.  by the time you "heard the turbo spool up" the race was over –– in fact any street guy will tell you that the finish line is the other side of the intersection.  

ar-jedi

I'm not sure if you're saying the BMW had already won the race by the time the turbo had spooked up? Please clarify a little better please.

No kidding BS story is BS....
Those camaros and new challengers are both over hyped all to hell and back. Hell I have an 06 350z with a little v6 in it that will and has out preformed both many times in red light challenges and long stretches.

Ok so you're one of the car ignorants here. Obviously it's not a new camaro. It had a 6.0 badge. The new camaros come factory with a 6.2. The 6.0 swap is basically a bolt in on a 4th gen. I would bet monies the car in question is a 4th gen with an iron 6.0 and a truck manifold home built turbo kit. Probably a tc76 turbo. A STOCK 4th gen f body will outrun a 550i. And then add a 6.0 with supporting mods and a damn turbo? You're looking at a 600cc sport bike killer on moderate boost. And a liter bike contender on high boost and built motor. Yes the new camaros ARE heavy turds. Slower than stock 4th gens.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#13]
[span stease.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
How many mullets were sported in the Camero SS?

If I remember clearly..... it was a mullet, mirror sunglasses and a goatee mustache

could you hear the Bon Jovi CD clearly? What song was playing?

- Clint

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

the "family car" in question is a $70,000 400 hp V8 that runs low 13s.  That's a "grocery getter" now?  Yup, just like mom's old station wagon with the primered fender and slant six.

the camaro in question is a car that runs low 13s in stock form and can be made to run in the 12s easy with the turbo shit on it.

BMWs are the most overrated car out there.

How about this idea:  get the top of the line factory camaro, which I think runs around $55K and put it up against a $55K BMW and see who wins
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I remember clearly..... it was a mullet, mirror sunglasses and a goatee mustache

http://youtu.be/2ZjviMmXIY8

- Clint

I was actually mad at the kids for not recognizing the baddassery before their very eyes. Fuckin' kids.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/imag0366sw.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8688/imag0366sw.jpg</a>

how much horsepower does that body kit add
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/imag0366sw.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img163/8688/imag0366sw.jpg</a>

how much horsepower does that body kit add

You mean the factory RS kit?  

Just about 400 more than stock.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/2ZjviMmXIY8

- Clint

I was actually mad at the kids for not recognizing the baddassery before their very eyes. Fuckin' kids.  

No shit!   When the hell did they change the rules?    I very clearly remember when a '70s TA and Billy Squier's "The Stroke" were the coolest things in the known universe!

....... fuckin' kids!

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
stease.

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

no replacement for displacement,

True power comes from boost  

Cubic dollars will beat cubic inches every day.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
2 cars in a totally different class and price point. now take a CTSV which is comparable in price and luxury to the BMW and lets see.... oh wait isnt the caddy the worlds fastest sedan and also wagonor the 55grand zl1 camaro that is over 20 grand less and will still out accellerate and corner the bmw. if you go to any drag race track and look around, most of the fast truely driveable street cars there are LSx powered cars. and also you dont see ford dodge or anything else swapped into a chevy car but you see the others with lSx and other GM power plants. lsx motors are the best for building power and fuel economy. and have the biggest aftermarket parts supply. i have a 2004 zo6 vette with heads and cam that i can still get almost 30mpg out of it and has well over 500hp. (not dynoed or tuned yet). or just take a 120grand zr1 vette and beable to beat 99% of all street cars ever made weather its in the 1/4 or a road track. it comes down to money and how driveable you want it but any car brand and make can be made to go fast.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

I'm not sure if you're saying the BMW had already won the race by the time the turbo had spooked up? Please clarify a little better please.

here, let me help:

OP's story, clarified:
"i saw a guy in a GM sportscar sprint race against a lady driving a 4 door luxury touring sedan, and only 'after the turbo spooled up' did the GM sportscar narrowly prevail."

n.b.
IMHO there are other factors to consider in a search for automotive bliss, besides a race to the other side of the intersection.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#25]
video??
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
2 cars in a totally different class and price point. now take a CTSV which is comparable in price and luxury to the BMW and lets see.... oh wait isnt the caddy the worlds fastest sedan and also wagonor the 55grand zl1 camaro that is over 20 grand less and will still out accellerate and corner the bmw. if you go to any drag race track and look around, most of the fast truely driveable street cars there are LSx powered cars. and also you dont see ford dodge or anything else swapped into a chevy car but you see the others with lSx and other GM power plants. lsx motors are the best for building power and fuel economy. and have the biggest aftermarket parts supply. i have a 2004 zo6 vette with heads and cam that i can still get almost 30mpg out of it and has well over 500hp. (not dynoed or tuned yet). or just take a 120grand zr1 vette and beable to beat 99% of all street cars ever made weather its in the 1/4 or a road track. it comes down to money and how driveable you want it but any car brand and make can be made to go fast.

holy shit, that was hard to read
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

here, let me help:

OP's story, clarified:
"i saw a guy in a GM sportscar sprint race against a lady driving a 4 door luxury touring sedan, and only 'after the turbo spooled up' did the GM sportscar narrowly prevail."

n.b.
IMHO there are other factors to consider in a search for automotive bliss, besides a race to the other side of the intersection.

ar-jedi

Lmao. K
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How about this idea:  get the top of the line factory camaro, which I think runs around $55K and put it up against a $55K BMW and see who wins

the M3 wins.

1) it's not made by GM.
2) see #1.  
3) women.  classy women, not trailer trash.  

q.e.d.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the M3 wins.

1) it's not made by GM.
2) see #1.  

q.e.d.

ar-jedi

So my girlfriend is trailer trash?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the M3 wins.

1) it's not made by GM.
2) see #1.  

q.e.d.

ar-jedi

cool arguement bros
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
holy crap this thread got retarded

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine a person of equal mental capacity to ar15newcomer was able to read it without difficulty. Who's the tard now?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
holy crap this thread got retarded  

Its GD,would you expect any less?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

the "family car" in question is a $70,000 400 hp V8 that runs low 13s.  That's a "grocery getter" now?  Yup, just like mom's old station wagon with the primered fender and slant six.

the camaro in question is a car that runs low 13s in stock form and can be made to run in the 12s easy with the turbo shit on it.

BMWs are the most overrated car out there.

In what category?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is there an English translation of this?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i summarized earlier in the thread: (link)

OP's story, clarified:

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i summarized earlier in the thread: (link)

OP's story, clarified:

ar-jedi

Thanks, I read that a few minutes after I posted it.   Not used to efficiency here at GD.

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 3:40:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On a much more interesting note, I smoked a guy in a WRX through some twisties the other day in my Mini.  With snow tires on.  While smoking a cigarette.  And using my right hand to shift and keep a wine bottle from sliding off the front seat.  

-csb

Funny

It's fun to surprise folks with a sleeper. I had a little miata that looked completely stock (well it had a rollbar) but it had a high end suspension and put out ~370hp at the back wheels.

Let's just say there were a lot of unhappy mustang and camero drivers in Birmingham for a few years.

Holey schmokes!

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the M3 wins.

1) it's not made by GM.
2) see #1.  

q.e.d.

ar-jedi

I drive a 12 year old 150hp Japanese car that looks like a yellow toad.My GF is a tall,skinny hottie. If anyone relies on a car for their manliness...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

So your z28 is able to corner better than a BMW?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine a person of equal mental capacity to ar15newcomer was able to read it without difficulty. Who's the tard now?

lolwut

this isnt the youtube comment section?

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What ahead and cam package are you running in your Z? Because "we'll over 500hp" UNTUNED is pretty hard to believe with just a head and cam setup.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

That's not what you said.  You said "Camaros are pathetic in the corners".  

With 315s in the back, 275s in the front, not a single stock suspension part on the the car and 470hp on motor, it gets around corners just fine.    I don't know if it corners better than a BMW.  I don't care.  However, I would imagine it'll hold it's own.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hardee har har

That's not what you said.  You said "Camaros are pathetic in the corners".  

With 315s in the back, 275s in the front, not a single stock suspension part on the the car and 470hp on motor, it gets around corners just fine.    I don't know if it corners better than a BMW.  I don't care.  However, I would imagine it'll hold it's own.

The idea being presented here is that dumb old american iron was smoked by a woman driving a "grocery getter".

This isn't a discussion of facts as a "fun idea" that's being kicked around by a bunch of yahoos who don't know anything about cars.

The fact that a $70K BMW has the same 1/4 mile times as the base model mustang or camaro is not of interest.

The fact that a $50K mustang will do 11.6 second 1/4 mile time is not of interest.  By the way, that is an amazing number.

The fact that a $50K mustang or camaro will pull 1.0 g of lateral accelleration in corners is not of interest.

It's just a gun shop bubba thread.  

Like the american cars will rattle apart in a year and the BMW has awesome build quality.  Righty-oh
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What ahead and cam package are you running in your Z? Because "we'll over 500hp" UNTUNED is pretty hard to believe with just a head and cam setup.

Probably has one of those 300HP racing stripe kits installed

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must have swapped engines if they really had a 6 liter.

He haz a swapped badge, and it doesn't take much to beat a 550.

I turbo 6.0 ls based motor would have totally fucked shit up. You ran into a poser op.

You would think if someone was going to swap in an LS2, they'd have an LS2 badge instead.

That's because it's probably not an LS2, but a 6.0L out of a truck.  Pretty common swap for forced induction actually.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top