Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My eyes well up when I watch Black Hawk Down... mostly during Shughart and Gordons heroic last stand [:(]

Is that movie on the "guys can cry" list or am I a pussy? [;)]
View Quote

I like Ridley Scott's work...

I always cry at the end of Gladiator. Truly touching... I would like to carry that hero to his grave also... then I realize it's a movie. Damn!!!

Doggonit
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of the best war movies I can cry to:

We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
Gladiator (This counts!?!?)

Sorry, can't cry to SPR (haven't seen it yet)!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awww.... let's have a group hug.

View Quote

What's YOUR fucking problem?
View Quote

Wow, what a reaction.  Did I catch you crying?
View Quote

No.
But now I know what your fucking problem is.
View Quote

Good for you.  Stop by and pick up a cookie, hotrod.

Stories of grown men crying over television shows and movies isn't very appetizing.

I do, however appreciate the related accounts of real-world heroism by our brave men in the armed services.

Crying during a movie?  C'mon...
View Quote

Cookie?  Hotrod?  Appetizing?  

Now we ALL know.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awww.... let's have a group hug.

View Quote

What's YOUR fucking problem?
View Quote

Wow, what a reaction.  Did I catch you crying?
View Quote

No.
But now I know what your fucking problem is.
View Quote

I generally liek people. I usually don't critize anyoena dn tyr to get along with most people. But waht I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hate is someone who asks what MY or anyone else's problem is. He doesn't have a problem you are just OVERREACTING!!! Take a few breaths, calm down....

SIG out,

Doggonit (The scared)
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
In my best R. Lee Ermy voice:

[b]Listen up you pussies, we ain't got time to cry.    Walking Tall?!?!?!?....ColtShorty what is you major malfunction.[/b]

I read an interview with Tom Hanks and he said Spielberg took the opening scene from an incident Spielberg witnessed in France during the late 70's.

Hanks also said that the guy running the boot camp (Dale Dye) asked them how they think a guy feels when he sees his buddy die.  Most of the guys said things like, anger of fear or horror.  Dye told them none of them was right.  The first thing you feel is joy because it was not you.  Then next thing you feel is guilt because you felt that way.  He then told them you live with it the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My father in law was in the 119th infantry regiment 30th division in WW2.
He served in the Bulge, Roer, Rhine and Elbe Campaigns. He crossed the Elbe in April of 45'and was captured in that operation.
View Quote

My hats off to your father. He and those who fought beside him have earned my eternal debt and gratitude..[USA]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
 I watch movies like Saving Private, and We were Soldiers because it reminds me of the SACRIFICE the men and women gave,and what WE OWE THEM!
 A nice weekend of American History via "the Movies" might include:

The Patriot
Gettysburg
Patton
Midway
Tora,Tora,Tora
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
We were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down

My ex-father-in-law was a Marine veteran of Iwo Jima. I didn't find out what hell he had gone through until his daughter and I divorced. He always considered me family until the day he passed away( 27 Dec 96).
We did not always agree,but I always had the utmost respect for him. While the VULTURES (family) came to the roost to divide the spoils,I did manage to obtain a Marine Honor Guard/Burial Detail for him.Thats how I choose to remember.RIP Mr.Roy

What d'ya think about the movies? And YES,its OK TO CRY!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Although I must have seen it 50 times, I still cry everytime I watch that damn movie.

My eyes well up when I watch Black Hawk Down... mostly during Shughart and Gordons heroic last stand

Is that movie on the "guys can cry" list or am I a pussy?  

Bull! Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller.

You guys gotta watch "We Were Soldiers". I watched it last night and it's gotta go on the "guys can cry" list. Man, it's powerful. Made me feel even worse and angrier than I was when I started thinking about that coward in MD running around with a rifle.

It's tuff to watch by it's self but try it with your Grandad who was there.

Funny thing, he did not cry but we found him the next morning on the sofa in his old uniform and a book of photos in his hand.

For all of the reasons above, Saving Private Ryan will always be one of my favorite movies. I have always said that the first 30 minutes of that movie was the scariest thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine the terror and fear those boys felt landing on the beaches.

It solidified my solemn respect for the men who fought, and died, in the struggle against facism. Who fought and died for their country and sacrificed so much on the altar of freedom. It reminds me of the men who fought and died before them, to secure our freedom, and create this great nation.

Saving Private Ryan is one of the best productions ever. Band Of Brothers, IMHO, is it's equal. It shows much more of the varied aspects of war that our soldiers faced in the final parts of the war.

May God bless our veterans, and those that died to protect our freedoms.

(I get teary eyed thinking about it, but it's a proud sorrow. I am a man, and I am not afraid to shed a tear in respect for those men portrayed in these films)

I watch movies like Saving Private, and We were Soldiers because it reminds me of the SACRIFICE the men and women gave,and what WE OWE THEM!

The Patriot
Gettysburg
Patton
Midway
Tora,Tora,Tora
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
We were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down

My ex-father-in-law was a Marine veteran of Iwo Jima. I didn't find out what hell he had gone through until his daughter and I divorced. He always considered me family until the day he passed away( 27 Dec 96).
We did not always agree,but I always had the utmost respect for him. While the VULTURES (family) came to the roost to divide the spoils,I did manage to obtain a Marine Honor Guard/Burial Detail for him.Thats how I choose to remember.RIP Mr.Roy

All a nice list of tear jerkers. I'm guilty, alongside two leatherneck accomplises, of laughing at the boat sinking scene in Titanic. Pearl harbor wasn't as amusing for me though.

I may have also found some amusment at the Skinny that runs at the D-boy after he crawled out from the crashed Blackhawk in BHD. And the Somali's that got distracted and strangled towards the end.

Is the Siege of Fire Base Gloria and Platoon worthy of mentioning?
I didn't count on being the only one who hates that MD Sniper. Murderer is one thing...to be so cowardly about it is even more of a pisser offer

I Saw SPR in the theatres, plenty of elderly men & women were in the theatre to see it the same time I was. I think I was the youngest person there.

My Grandfather, God rest his Soul, served in WW2. United States Army.

My older Brother is an Ex-Marine that served in Somalia. It's off subject, but worth mentioning talking to me & my mom on speakerphone, and telling us that nothing all that bad is happening, just that they shoot mortars at the bases all the time. And he "goes outside, swears at them and flips them off". He said that just to see if she'd believe him.

Also, it's of subject, so I'll save it. But I got a kick out of his "50 Dollars if you can trash a Humvee" story.

And finally, I certainly do like my freedom, am grateful for all those who fought for it. And hell yes, would do the same for other people if need be.

I can't say I ever cried during any of the movies. Damn good ones, but weren't tearjerkers. Dunno wether it's because I've never actually fought in a war, or if I'm just cynical beyond redemption.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#13]
SPR is the only film I can recall that made me cry...at the very end, back in present-day Normandy.

I have a newspaper clipping picture of my maternal grandfather running off a Higgins boat with an M1...unfortunately, he died before I was even born, but I think about that everytime I see SPR. My other grandfather was a B-24 pilot in the Pacific, and a good family friend was an RAF pilot who was shot down several times and survived. It's very sad, because they are going to be gone soon and they never want to talk about it. I guess I don't blame them.

I've seen all the films mentioned in this thread, but there is something about SPR that's different.

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I apologize. I thought we were talking about movies, not what actors do, or don't do when ther're not acting. Hopefully you don't condone the antics of the KKK.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I cry when the Beast is dying and Belle says she loves...er...

Yeah, I cry during Saving Private Ryan too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ah! sh*t Toaster...why did you have to say that...pass the damn tissues...
View Quote

***Passes a few tissues***

The line that totally tore me up was near the end of the movie.

"Tell me I've been a good man"...   That sequence just kills me...

-T.
View Quote

Haven't seen the movie for a while... just reading along, everything fine and dandy... Then I read this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#17]
82ndAbn...you're such a bada$$, can I be as tough as you?

I knew I should have enlisted in the Army instead of the Marine Corps...than maybe I'd have some guts and no feelings...
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
What about the original guy ok-to-cry movie, and the single best TV movie ever made?

Brian's Song.

Although I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen."
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks.
They got me charged up and wishing like hell I was there next to them, fighting.
View Quote

I have to agree here, while my experiences may mirror your in some respects; I have this almost uncontrollable urge be in the screen with those and fight next to them.

I have only cried after the movie is over; when the memories come back...
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
82ndAbn...you're such a bada$$, can I be as tough as you?

I knew I should have enlisted in the Army instead of the Marine Corps...than maybe I'd have some guts and no feelings...
View Quote

At least you'd save money on Kleenex.

View Quote

Don't be a putz!  It takes a real man to say he was emotional about a recreation of a very stressful situation...  You say you have been in combat, and yet you also say that you have no emotional attachment to it.  Are you trolling or just stupid?  It does not take much of a man to take up such a chest thumping, ultra-man posturing on the internet, however I have more respect for the men that have the ability to say that there are times when it IS ok to show emotions...  In the end, don't be a dick!

BlackDog
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]
For all you guys 40+, we all forgot, Love Story!!!!!With that song they kept playing..."Love means never having to say you're,(Fill in the blank), this may be good!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Iv'e seen combat!
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So before you start throwing accusations around (damn, everybody crying is ready to fight), why don't you find out the entire story.
View Quote

I wasn't throwing any accusations, other than that it seems that you think lesser of some because they dont have the same level of emotional acceptance...  By you basicly attacking others because of YOU think that it is not "manly" or whatever, you might be stepping on the emotions of others who might be much greater men than yourself.  Just a thought.

Oh yeah, BTW, I did read the entire story.  What I saw was a group of men getting a chuckle out of themselves, until you decided to throw some jabs at them...  Whats the matter, did daddy not hug you enough?  [;)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And WTF is up with accusing me of a personal attack and then say something about hugging your dad?
View Quote

And for that I do appologize...  I did forget the icon that was supposed to show I was joking about that.  That was corrected.

As for the rest, I do appologize for being a little "proactive" in my posts.  It does irritate me to think that someone thinks less man because he shows emotions.  Please accept my handshake for the misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll second Brian's Song and throw in another that always gets me teary eyed - Forest Gump.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Patriot
Gettysburg
Patton
Midway
Tora,Tora,Tora
The Longest Day
Saving Private Ryan
We were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

I see Ka_Bar_Fan has hijacked my post! The least you could do is credit me for it! If you read "yours" in its entirety, it looks like mine was part of yours all along.

This was a post in answer to movies that happen to mean ALOT to MANY,MANY people,and effects them in different ways!

It was also a bit of remembrance of my father-in-law,ex or not. HE did indeed talk the talk, AND WALK the WALK. He lost many a friend on the volcanic ash that passed for sand. This was one of several battles he was in.Occasionally,he would get emotional about it and cry. I NEVER felt like he was any less of a man because of it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have watched SPR several times. It is one of my favorite movies. It pisses me off to this day that it got beat out by "Shakespeare in Love" at the Oscars. It is a visceral movie, and any one with more than half an ounce of patriotic blood flowing through their veins will shed tears at some point while watching this movie. Most people don't understand that WWII was not just any war, it was THE war. It is no exaggeration to say that our fathers and grandfathers literally saved the world (can you imagine Hitler with nuclear weapons?!) and gave us the gift of freedom that we all take for granted today. They were heroes because they had to be, not because they wanted to be. Hell yes I cried!
Panzer out
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Slaite'.

Sorry about that. I tired typing in
to get the quote effect after I cut and pasted every post up till my reply from the thread on the left, to a reply on the right. Lots of things I wanted to comment on. And I added the movies Siege of Fire Base Gloria & Platoon to your list, both good flick IMHO.

I mentioned my Grandfather, who served in the Europe Theare of WW2, and my brother who was an ex-marine that served in the first half of Operation Restore Hope. Maybe some other good parts I don't remember right now. But the Hijacking was a failed attempt to quote everybody, again I apologise for it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Slaite'.

Sorry about that. I tired typing in
to get the quote effect after I cut and pasted every post up till my reply from the thread on the left, to a reply on the right. Lots of things I wanted to comment on. And I added the movies Siege of Fire Base Gloria & Platoon to your list, both good flick IMHO.

I mentioned my Grandfather, who served in the Europe Theare of WW2, and my brother who was an ex-marine that served in the first half of Operation Restore Hope. Maybe some other good parts I don't remember right now. But the Hijacking was a failed attempt to quote everybody, again I apologise for it.
View Quote

Ka_Bar_Fan,

APOLOGY ACCEPTED. BTW,AFAIK, unless your brother got a dishonorable,Once A MARINE,ALWAYS A MARINE! PS.Not a flame. This is my understanding.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey, at least Oliver was a hockey player! Even if he did play for that liberal school Harvard. Oh yeah, he also drove a neat car. A MG TC, or TD??? If he was really cool, he would have had a Jag XKE.......
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top