Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They needed DARPA to help build this thing?! With some decent tools I could build something similar in my garage. Maybe not to the same quality, but it would work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They needed DARPA to help build this thing?! With some decent tools I could build something similar in my garage. Maybe not to the same quality, but it would work.

Do it. That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I once made something similar to an XM25 in my garage.

Sure it was made out of PVC and it shot potatoes, but it worked.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Best round for a sand flee?
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/6b4ZZQkcNEo

Sand Flea is an 11-lb robot with one trick up its sleeve:  Normally it drives like an RC car, but when it needs to it can jump 30 feet into the air.  An onboard stabilization system keeps it oriented during flight to improve the view from the video uplink and to control landings.  Current development of Sand Flea is funded by the The US Army's Rapid Equipping Force.  For more information visit www.BostonDynamics.com.

Hat tip to Neal Stephenson's facebook.

Yup. see user name<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Best round for a sand flee?

Nets, But what kind???
Magnets

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sand Flea is an 11-lb robot with one trick up its sleeve:  Normally it drives like an RC car, but when it needs to it can jump 30 feet into the air.

What's the jump mechanism? Giant self-rewinding spring?  CO2 cartridge?  Solenoid?  I don't hear any "bang!" noise, so I assume it doesn't use some sort of explosive mechanism.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The sand flea is cool, but the other, flippy footed bastard is creepy, like a devil robot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
just imagine all the cool shit we will never get to see
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
potential for use as a "bouncing betty" with wheels  

Throw in some Heinlein and put loud-speakers on it for the full effect.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top