Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have mixed feelings about this... it's nice to stick it to anti-gun Libs by making a profit on their schemes, but it just hurts to see perfectly good guns getting destroyed like that.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately [in some regards], we don't have these "gun buyback" programs in Texas.

I'd be all over that shit for pure RoI.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I bought a .32-20 Spanish revolver for $15 about 10 years ago waiting for one of those buy back programs.

I also have a MAS 36/51 I bought for $50 last year.

Around here all they give out are gift cards to grocery stores and athletic shoe stores.

That's racist.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
Around here all they give out are gift cards to grocery stores and athletic shoe stores. As a poor college kid I wouldn't mind a $100 gift card to a grocery store. Could also use a new pair of shoes too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

They're taxing all Californians to pay for this.

Anyone interested in renting a truck, filling it with trash guns, and driving it down to the PRC for some easy cash?

California might be buying them no questions asked, but that doesn't exempt you from the Fed law you'd break by doing that.

Which one, again?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought a .32-20 Spanish revolver for $15 about 10 years ago waiting for one of those buy back programs.

Around here all they give out are gift cards to grocery stores and athletic shoe stores.

LOCAL MAN TURNS IN ARSENAL!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOCAL MAN TURNS IN ARSENAL!

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Used Highpoint = $80
Gift Card = $200

Buying a better pistol and a new NRA membership at the expense of a liberal = priceless!

Validating the communist gun-grabbers view of the world and doing their advertising for them = FAIL
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Anyone interested in renting a truck, filling it with trash guns, and driving it down to the PRC for some easy cash?

California might be buying them no questions asked, but that doesn't exempt you from the Fed law you'd break by doing that.

Which one, again?

I'm pretty sure the ATF would consider you to be "dealing" in firearms if you sold a truckload of em at one time.  So unless you have an FFL, I wouldn't try it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Seeing the Mosin and Ak going to something like that makes my heart drop.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What a fat, worthless, cocksucker on the left in that last pic.

San Fran's finest.

Be nice to the girl!

I'm sure she has a lovely personality.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Which one, again?

I'm pretty sure the ATF would consider you to be "dealing" in firearms if you sold a truckload of em at one time.

What about the folks who turn in 10 or 20 guns, "legitimately"?

I thought the local/county/state agencies that had buy-backs did it under some kind of exemption?

I could have sworn I read that in a story about a gun-buyback in Ohio or somewhere in the Midwest.

So unless you have an FFL, I wouldn't try it.

I doubt they're generating the kind of paperwork that happens in a regular transfer, but -- again -- I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Once a family friend called me and said she had an old Luger she was going to turn in at one of these things for a hundred bucks, unless I wanted it.

I hauled ass over to her house, she brings out a paper bag. "Careful! It's jammed, I don't want it to go off." I'm sure the look on my face was priceless as I grabbed the bag and excitedly reached in and pulled out..... a POS no name .25 pocket pistol. I was like...."This isn't a Luger." She replied, "Oh well I think its a gun used by an undercover cop, it was made in the thirties." I googled it to satisfy everyone there and proved it was a POS gun made in Hialeah FL that sold my 50$ or so new in 1986. It didn't have a magazine and wasn't jammed. She said I could have it, I told her to turn it in, she was getting a steal.

Perhaps the most disappointed I've ever been.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Someone bought a Mosin for $50 at Big-5 and made a nice profit.  

www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02128pc.jpg

Why do I have the feeling that one won't make it to the shredder?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Like he said.  At liberals' expense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Its a big state. OC s likely more conservative then all of OK.

Might even have a higher population.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Unfortunately [in some regards], we don't have these "gun buyback" programs in Texas.

I'd be all over that shit for pure RoI.

I think they might have had 1 in Tulsa a long time ago.  But this will never happen in the OKC area.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Its a big state. OC s likely more conservative then all of OK.

Might even have a higher population.

You are probably right.

But I just couldn't let that nice slow softball pass right over the plate totally untouched.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

But I just couldn't let that nice slow softball pass right over the plate totally untouched.

You hit it out of the park.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I got a handful of guns, including a hokey .22LR rifle that looks like an AR from the outside (less bolt and magazine) that would be fun to take to something like this.  I got a big box of guns for $50 (total, not each) a while back and I'd be happy to part with all of the unusable leftovers for $100-200 each.  I'd still keep the serviceable weapons from that batch and only turn in junk.  For some reason, I never hear of these things being done in my state.  It would be fun to open carry while collecting money for junk guns.  To maintain karmic balance in the universe, all proceeds from something like this should be used directly or indirectly to rescue other firearms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shameful to see those perfectly good guns being sent to a gruesome death.

No kidding huh...they will probably wind up in some cops gun collection.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have mixed feelings about this... it's nice to stick it to anti-gun Libs by making a profit on their schemes, but it just hurts to see perfectly good guns getting destroyed like that.

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#23]
         I had an old 22 semi auto (erma ppk look alike) That wasn't in great shape and then broke a couple of minor parts but the $30-40 it would take to fix it just wasn't worth it.
         Sat in the back of the safe for years because I couldn't take a hacksaw/sledge to it.
        Back 10 years or so back I took a $75 supermarket card from a local buyback program. Wish I had never done it.To this day it feels dirty. I am sorry I ever supported the stupid program.
I do not like giving bad guys a way to get rid of a gun "no questions asked"
I do not like melting down perfectly good guns
I do not like giving stupid politicians ammo for their stupid position

I did however very much like the guys who supported their youth shooting group
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Take some copper tubing and attach it to a piece of 2X4.

Call it a zipgun and collect some cash.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What a fat, worthless, cocksucker on the left in that last pic.

San Fran's finest.

Be nice to the girl!

www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02110pc.jpg

I'm sure she has a lovely personality.
I dont think that is a chick. But in San Fransico anything is possible. HIVTOWN USA.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Nobody should be turning in functional firearms.

If you've got an old revolver you found in a ditch, with the ammo corroded into the cylinder, and the cylinder itself rusted shut, turn that bad boy in... likewise all the Raven/Jennings/Davis/Lorcin/Bryco crap you can lay your hands on.

Turning in a functional, classic firearms (even if cheap) just isn't right.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:21:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Back 10 years or so back I took a $75 supermarket card from a local buyback program. Wish I had never done it.To this day it feels dirty. I am sorry I ever supported the stupid program.
I do not like giving bad guys a way to get rid of a gun "no questions asked"
I do not like melting down perfectly good guns
I do not like giving stupid politicians ammo for their stupid position

Hey, what was the opportunity cost of them giving you the card?

I'm sure the supermarket gave them a finite number of cards.

Chin up.  "If it saved at least one gun," right?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Take some copper tubing and attach it to a piece of 2X4.

Call it a zipgun and collect some cash.

theindependentamerican.freeyellow.com/zipgun.BMP

That's a great idea.  I'd go buy all of the car antennas from all of the junkyards around town.

If any of my neighbors had older cars, they might mysteriously be missing theirs, as well.  Sorry guys..... "it's for the children." [TM]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

But the person that gave up that AK clone is a fool.

Why?  He didn't have to worry about fencing his stolen property.  The cops did it for him!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, taxpayers money buying stolen property from criminals...  Another great idea.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Did anyone else notice the handcuffs on the table right in front of the officer in the middle?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the person that gave up that AK clone is a fool.

Why?  He didn't have to worry about fencing his stolen property.  The cops did it for him!

Its either that or some idiot turning in a friend or relatives rifle w/o their consent (or inherited by an idiot).  That is a $900 56S Norinco.  It could also be a prop brought there by the outfit rather than actually turned in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yeah, taxpayers money buying stolen property from criminals...  Another great idea.

If the War on Drugs is bigger than the War on Guns......

Why don't they have drug buy-back programs?

(or hell, if it's just about the crime, why not stolen car buy-back programs?)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I should do my own gun buy back....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's good to see that deadly Mosin Nagant with its evil bayonet of the streets.  

Made by commies and going to meet its end by a different sort of commies.

No, they are the same kind of commie, they just speak English instead of Russian now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
At "Liberals'" expense?

Which one, again?

I'm pretty sure the ATF would consider you to be "dealing" in firearms if you sold a truckload of em at one time.

What about the folks who turn in 10 or 20 guns, "legitimately"?

I thought the local/county/state agencies that had buy-backs did it under some kind of exemption?

I could have sworn I read that in a story about a gun-buyback in Ohio or somewhere in the Midwest.

So unless you have an FFL, I wouldn't try it.

I doubt they're generating the kind of paperwork that happens in a regular transfer, but -- again -- I could be wrong.

The State of California cannot exempt you from Federal law.  If you're some ghetto thug turning in yo posse's gats, though, I doubt they'll rat you out to the Feds.

You don't generate any paperwork in a FTF transfer in any of the free States, either.  But I bet you could still theoretically get into trouble for selling a great deal of guns at one time.  

Plus, isn't there the issue of selling a gun to someone out of State?  I'm pretty sure you can't sell a gun FTF to someone w/o an FFL if they happen to be in your State, but does it work vice versa?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hmmm, finally a use for airsoft...

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#39]

I'm no fashion plate or Abercrombie and Fitch Male Model to be sure.

But at a high visibility event, I don't know if I'd send Officer Sugarcookie, LTSGT Thaddeus Harris, and Crushed-Ballcap-Child-Molester-Mustache-Guy
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I think they're trying to figure out where the barrel shroud is. You know, that shoulder thingy that goes up, like Carolyn McCarthy's dumb ass knew sooooo much about.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm all for gun buy-back programs. I went to one back in the late 1980's, sponsored by the Williamson county Tennessee Sheriff's Dept. I got a real nice Ruger single-6 and a nice S&W Model 10
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If I ever find out that there's going to be a gun buy-back around here, I'm going to show up & depending on gun, condition, etc, I'll give the regular owners $40 more than what the police are offering in cash.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes, the mag is inserted that way

www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02080pc.jpg] http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02080pc.jpg]www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/12/02/ba_sfguns02080pc.jpg

Wonder if the schmoe that turned that in knows he could have gotten 3-4 times what they gave him for it.

Perhaps, but this method leaves no paper trail to connect him to that particular weapon, which was used in a bunch of crimes.  

Gun buy back programs are the government's answer to the question, how do I dispose of a murder weapon?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#45]
i wonder if they will take the flats i bent last year?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#46]
That's interesting.  If a receiver is the gun, and a bent flat is a receiver, then that makes a bent flat the assault-rifle jackpot exchange?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I ever find out that there's going to be a gun buy-back around here, I'm going to show up & depending on gun, condition, etc, I'll give the regular owners $40 more than what the police are offering in cash.

I have thought of the same thing. I saw last year someone traded in a perfectly good 1897 Winchester pump I wish it could of been saved. They have these things every once in a blue moon her in Jacksonville and my dad made some money getting rid of junk guns. He said he need some  more 45 acp or something. Even the local paper made fun of the gun buy back. They had a carton of a man trading in a blackpowder rifle to pay for a new ak
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

The State of California cannot exempt you from Federal law.  If you're some ghetto thug turning in yo posse's gats, though, I doubt they'll rat you out to the Feds.

You don't generate any paperwork in a FTF transfer in any of the free States, either.  But I bet you could still theoretically get into trouble for selling a great deal of guns at one time.

I wonder if this is the "gun buyback loophole"?

They're not actually "selling" them, are they?  It's a "donation" and you're just receiving a little "token" in return (e.g. the gift cards may not be considered legal tender).

In much the same way I didn't have to pay taxes on the ice cream the blood drive folks gave me for selling them blood donating blood to them .

Dunno, just thinking out of my ass here.  I would laugh and cry at the same time if there was really a "gun buyback loophole."

Plus, isn't there the issue of selling a gun to someone out of State?  I'm pretty sure you can't sell a gun FTF to someone w/o an FFL if they happen to be in your State, but does it work vice versa?

Ditto, maybe?  Again, there is also the perfectly-reasonable (and likely) chance that I'm wrong on this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Do they atleast recycle that good steel?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#50]
To the people whining about breaking Federal law to screw over a Gun Buy-Back...

The local/state government is breaking Federal law and violating the US Constitution on a daily basis but is given a green light.  

Follow their example and never look back.  They drew first blood.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top