BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't we sell them to friendly nations? Has that not been allowed since the Falklands?
View Quote

Falklands has nothing to do with it.  What friendly nation could afford to refurb, man and operate one of these?

Nobody wants the old steam turbine ships for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is almost everything on them is obsolete.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My Constellation story. Was on deployment to Misawa with VP-40 in '79. We'd been to the PI to do a load and were headed back to Misawa. We lost our IFF about an hour out of Cubi and overflew the Connie on the way home. Since they couldn't identify us they launched their ready one on us. So here we are droning along at 25,000 feet when two F-14s go ripping by. One parks off the port wing with the wingman off our tail. The Tomcat comes up on guard and we both switch over to a UHF freq and then the fun began.

Our plane commander and the lead Tomcat pilot where class mates in pilot training so a bunch of natural verbal abuse starts up. After a couple of verbal exchanges which include the Tomcat along side doing a slow roll 360. We all hear, "Let's see you do something with that bus." My PPC says, "Watch this." We all grab on to something thinking he's going to do something stupid with our P-3. Instead he comes walking to the back of the bus, goes in the head, comes out, gets in the reefer and gets a sandwich out of his lunch and a cup of coffee. I followed him back up to the flight station and he says to the Tomcat driver, "How'd you like that."

Now mind you, they can see each other clearly since its midday with no clouds. The Tomcat driver says, "You don't do anything."

My PPC says, "Oh yeah, I got up and went to the head, got a sandwich (as he holds up his sandwich to the side window) and a cup of coffee (again holding up his cup of coffee). Let's see you do that." There was no more comm from the F-14s. They both wen about 200 yards out in front of us, went to full burner and climbed out of sight. Which was quite impressive to say the least. They pretty much disappear out of sight at which point my PPC says, "He always was an asshole."

i still wonder what that guy was thinking as he sat there in that cramped cockpit with a piddle bag on his leg as my pilot got up walked around and grabbed some chow and coffee. Not to mention we probably got as much flight time on that one flight as they did in a whole month.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I served on USS CONSTELLATION (CV by god 64) from OCT 91 to NOV 94, Engineering and Strike Operations. Earned my Officer of the Deck and Surface Warfare Officer Qualifications on her; Captain could sleep at night when I had the deck. That tour served as the foundation of my naval career and no other ship could compare, you cannot imagine the complexity of it. There is nothing like fixed wing flight operations at sea, must be seen to be believed.
View Quote

bluuurrpp, anybody can be an OOD on a bird farm, everybody else is trying to stay the hell out of your way, especially when you start turning and then remember to let everybody else know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone needs to buy her and make her into a museum as CA has two carriers and a battleship.

Los Angeles has the battleship USS Iowa, San Diego has the carrier USS Midway, wooden bark Star of India, ferryboat Berkely, yacht America, frigate HMS Surprise, the soviet foxtrot submarine B-39, and the submarine USS Dolphin and San Francisco owns the carrier USS Hornet, schooner Alma, steam tug Hercules, square rig sailing ship Balclutha, paddle wheel Eppleton Hall, steam ferry () Eureka, and the wooden schooner C.A. Thayer ... looks like we don't have room for a 1000 foot long carrier!

Maybe get rid of the Queen Mary from San Pedro and put the Connie' there!
View Quote

So Master Chief who gets to be First LT and herd the non-rates in needling, scraping, priming and painting?  (I did that once and have no desire to ever do it again)

The Iowa isn't owned by a gov't organization.  They learned fron the Queen Mary that taking care of a big ship is a horrendous money pit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In the black and white pic going under the Brooklyn Bridge, what are the objects mounted under the forward corners of the flight deck and angled deck?

Are they glide path signals from back when carriers were required to be able to recover aircraft while steaming astern?  

View Quote

This, Also used to trap Sea Bats, and stationing the mail buoy watch when conducting flight ops.  The sea bat trap was a happy coincidence discovered on the first West Pac.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Those would  make awesome prison ships.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My memory could be a bit biased.  

In my defense it was a 2 week det that I really didnt want to be on...

Im sure shes a fine ship.  
View Quote

To be honest her material condition towards the end was sub par. It was her crew that made her special. For some reason, that ship had "IT".

I'm comparing her to the NIMITZ and VINSON as my other two carriers. I was on the BOXER too but I won't compare apples and pears.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was a VAST tech on the Indy.  That's not a VAST station.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did the '99 deployment. Twas a good ship.

Is that a VAST station?

I was a VAST tech on the Indy.  That's not a VAST station.

I wasn't sure, just knew that was fuckin' old. My knowledge of VAST stopped at "don't go near VAST".

/RADCOM puke
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's the second Constellation that's in Baltimore's harbor, though they tried to lie about that for a while. The original was scrapped in the 1850's.

This is the third or 4th one, depending on if you count a never-completed Battlecruiser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I misread the title and though you were talking about the USS Constitution

The original Constellation was decommissioned and is in Baltimore's harbor. There will never be an new USS Constitution, because the original is still a fully commissioned warship. Unlike the Victory that is only thirty years her senior, she could sail across the Atlantic if they wanted her to.

I like that.

That's the second Constellation that's in Baltimore's harbor, though they tried to lie about that for a while. The original was scrapped in the 1850's.

This is the third or 4th one, depending on if you count a never-completed Battlecruiser.

I dont think they lied, they just wernt sure. The Navy didnt seem to keep good notes back then. What they do think however is that the Connie in Balt was built with some of the lumber from the original Connie.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
They had a good fire on the Constellation back in 1960, in the Brooklyn Navy yard. From what I read about it as kid, it was a tough job.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I spent 29 days going back and forth between the Connie and the K Hawk when I was doing research for a Novel that was approved by NAVINFOWEST in Hollywood.  Admiral Bradshaw made me spend a day with each division on the ship.  I will never forget my day with the Snipes and standing over the turning shaft.  Oh, I got three landings Two COD and one F/A 18B driven by 'Jeep' Stivers who has remained a friend.  I have a wall full of photo's of me on the Connie and cherish this experience.  Oh, 9/11 changed the perimeters for the novel and I will be working on the update with CDR Gary S who was the Hollywood person for the Navy for quite a while.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those would  make awesome prison ships.
View Quote

Sell them to the Indians.  They'd have a functional floating computer call center running out of any of them within two months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I dont think they lied, they just wernt sure. The Navy didnt seem to keep good notes back then. What they do think however is that the Connie in Balt was built with some of the lumber from the original Connie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I misread the title and though you were talking about the USS Constitution

The original Constellation was decommissioned and is in Baltimore's harbor. There will never be an new USS Constitution, because the original is still a fully commissioned warship. Unlike the Victory that is only thirty years her senior, she could sail across the Atlantic if they wanted her to.

I like that.

Not keeping good notes was a good way to get money out of Congress back in the 1800's. Especially after the drive to save the Constitution.

The Baltimore folks spent years denying that there was any chance of this not being the original Frigate, despite it being different in nearly all dimensions.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
they should let retired naval personnel that served on it continue to run it as a naval reserve force.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
they should let retired naval personnel that served on it continue to run it as a naval reserve force.

View Quote

This, and there would be many volunteers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't understand why they get rid of these carriers. Other than because of money, you'd think we'd want to keep adding to the power of our Navy.
View Quote

They only have a 30 year design life.  If you do a Service Life Extension Program on one, you can get another 25 - 30 15 - 20 years out of it - at the cost of 40% of a new carrier.

It really doesn't make sense to try to get more out the old oil-burners.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not keeping good notes was a good way to get money out of Congress back in the 1800's. Especially after the drive to save the Constitution.

The Baltimore folks spent years denying that there was any chance of this not being the original Frigate, despite it being different in nearly all dimensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well she was a money maker and still is. The last time I was in the Inner Harbor I was expecting some technicals to show up and start disgorging Taliban fighters and Somalians. The original Connie was a Frigate, the one in Balt is a Sloop of War.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My Constellation story. Was on deployment to Misawa with VP-40 in '79. We'd been to the PI to do a load and were headed back to Misawa. We lost our IFF about an hour out of Cubi and overflew the Connie on the way home. Since they couldn't identify us they launched their ready one on us. So here we are droning along at 25,000 feet when two F-14s go ripping by. One parks off the port wing with the wingman off our tail. The Tomcat comes up on guard and we both switch over to a UHF freq and then the fun began.

Our plane commander and the lead Tomcat pilot where class mates in pilot training so a bunch of natural verbal abuse starts up. After a couple of verbal exchanges which include the Tomcat along side doing a slow roll 360. We all hear, "Let's see you do something with that bus." My PPC says, "Watch this." We all grab on to something thinking he's going to do something stupid with our P-3. Instead he comes walking to the back of the bus, goes in the head, comes out, gets in the reefer and gets a sandwich out of his lunch and a cup of coffee. I followed him back up to the flight station and he says to the Tomcat driver, "How'd you like that."

Now mind you, they can see each other clearly since its midday with no clouds. The Tomcat driver says, "You don't do anything."

My PPC says, "Oh yeah, I got up and went to the head, got a sandwich (as he holds up his sandwich to the side window) and a cup of coffee (again holding up his cup of coffee). Let's see you do that." There was no more comm from the F-14s. They both wen about 200 yards out in front of us, went to full burner and climbed out of sight. Which was quite impressive to say the least. They pretty much disappear out of sight at which point my PPC says, "He always was an asshole."

i still wonder what that guy was thinking as he sat there in that cramped cockpit with a piddle bag on his leg as my pilot got up walked around and grabbed some chow and coffee. Not to mention we probably got as much flight time on that one flight as they did in a whole month.

View Quote

This story has been around a long time:  Link

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Someone needs to buy her and make her into a museum as CA has two carriers and a battleship.

Los Angeles has the battleship USS Iowa, San Diego has the carrier USS Midway, wooden bark Star of India, ferryboat Berkely, yacht America, frigate HMS Surprise, the soviet foxtrot submarine B-39, and the submarine USS Dolphin and San Francisco owns the carrier USS Hornet, schooner Alma, steam tug Hercules, square rig sailing ship Balclutha, paddle wheel Eppleton Hall, steam ferry () Eureka, and the wooden schooner C.A. Thayer ... looks like we don't have room for a 1000 foot long carrier!

Maybe get rid of the Queen Mary from San Pedro and put the Connie' there!
View Quote

I like your thinking but don't know if it is possible
I have visited the battleship Massachuttes in Fall River Ma . Those good folks work their ass off but I just don't see how they are doing more than painting over the rust and trying to keep the pumps going . They are a year round museum but except for a few idiots like me hardly anyone in their right mind can stand the cold from Oct to March . Yeah they have heat and air conditioning but it makes it only barely tolerable if it is truly hot or cold . They do lots of their work with volunteers , get berthing for free or with sweetheart rates but it still has to cost a staggering amount to keep the lights on and trying to keep up with the rust .
Fall River also has a WWII sub , a destroyer , some kind of commie missile frigate and a wonderful section with several PT boats .

How many of these outfits have the financial ability to do bottom work by putting one of these monsters in dry dock ? I suspect very few . In many cases these museum ships are in a port location that doesn't have a dry dock facility anywhere close .

The bigger the ship the bigger the problems trying to keep it floating and with bigger cost . I expect we will see some of these museum groups go under and the ships they own will become huge liabilities . Good luck to them
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't understand why they get rid of these carriers. Other than because of money, you'd think we'd want to keep adding to the power of our Navy.
View Quote

lol...not even the USA in all our proper economic glory (which are loooong past) can afford to have that many carrier groups running around.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#21]
My dad built her and survived the fire.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Dec/06/constellation-memories-sailors/

The end is near. She’s heading for the scrap heap. It’s time to say goodbye to “Connie,” one of the most beloved naval ships in the history of San Diego.

The Navy said it will soon turn over the Constellation to a company that will dismantle the aircraft carrier, which was in service for almost 42 years. For virtually all of that time, she was home-ported in San Diego. The ship's island tower was often part of the city's skyline.

Connie — as the ship is widely known — was decommissioned in 2003, shortly after she participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom. Since then, the hulking carrier has been resting at anchor at the inactive-ship maintenance facility in Bremerton, Wash.

http://photos.uss-ranger.org/albums/userpics/10001/FourRetiredCarriers.jpg
Left to right -
CV62 - USS Independence (Forrestal class Supercarrier)
CV63 - USS Kitty Hawk (Kitty Hawk class Supercarrier)
CV64 - USS Constellation (Kitty Hawk class Supercarrier)
CV61 - USS Ranger (Forrestal class Supercarrier)
View Quote

The USS Independence was my first ship.  I served on her during her first Med cruise around 1960 and Connie was my Last ship that I retired from in 1980.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  I first heard it about an air force fighter pilot / Bomber pilot back in the 1950s.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup.  I first heard it about an air force fighter pilot / Bomber pilot back in the 1950s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard Naval War story since the advent of jet propulsion.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top