User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
OP fails.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Funny, didn't realize my Grandfather was an internet hipster. I'm still using his '57 Gillette and spend $.07 a blade.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Didn't we just do this last month?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a cheapie disposal twin razor that lasts just about forever.  As for the shaving cream I use a badger brush and shaving soap.  I spend about $10 to $15 per year on shaving stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, it's because Gilette figured out that if you're forced to buy their cartridges that are complete shit and wear out, but what else are you gonna shave with, they can charge tons of money for them. The DE safety razor is what the rest of the world shaves with, even though gilette is trying to change that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a reason they aren't used anymore. They suck compared to todays razors.

No, it's because Gilette figured out that if you're forced to buy their cartridges that are complete shit and wear out, but what else are you gonna shave with, they can charge tons of money for them. The DE safety razor is what the rest of the world shaves with, even though gilette is trying to change that.

No it's because a modern razor like a 5 bladed Gillette or shick is 10 times better than some old shitty safty razor. I've used both. Safty razors suck dick.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No it's because a modern razor like a 5 bladed Gillette or shick is 10 times better than some old shitty safty razor. I've used both. Safty razors suck dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been using a DE for a couple years now and I disagree.  Prior to the swithch I tried every blade/shave gel/method imaginable.  I had razor burn every freaking day for well over a decade and couldn't find a cartridge that I could get more than three shaves out of. Since going to DE I've nearly eliminated razor burn and I can get over a weeks use out of a single $0.10 blade.  I will never switch back

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I am retired and I only shave about once a week. A safety razor does a darn nice job, and it is kind of fun to use it. Never in a rush. It is an art to use one. It really shaves closer. It is just like using a saw...go slow, let the blade cut the  wood. Do not force the blade through the wood. Let the razor cut the hair. Do not press the razor into your skin...just let the blade cut your beard.

Some kids never take the training wheels off their bikes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it's kind of a cool skill to have.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#9]
the only reson I changed from the safety razor in the first place was the blades I could buy localy were shit and that plays very well into the idea that they do not want you to buy them anymore.

They want you to buy that 5 blade mo fo.

I want to go back but my wife deamed that MY razors were taking up to much space in the drawer and she cant find them now.

Upon looking at the merkers or what ever they are on the inter web I found out that one my dad gave me was a high dollar razor and I would love to find it.

I think that with the fether blades I could go back to a real shave.  because no matter what you think when that single blade works right it is better than that 5 blade mofo and cost a lot less.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just use disposable Bics.  They work fine.
View Quote

Flame shave?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:13:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Last razor I bought was over 10 years ago... I just trim my neck with no guard on a beard trimmer, and only then when it gets long enough to get annoying.  Last time I didn't have a full beard was over 6 years ago.  I will likely never shave again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]
People can turn any old nonsense into a hobby.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:52:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Amen

Shaving is a tedious chore that I have to perform every morning. I don't understand why some go out of their way too find ways of making it more time consuming. I had a straight razor shave from a barber once. Didn't feel any better than the job my Mach 5 does. Took three times as long though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I travel a lot.  The worst part of it is that I have to shave with a 'modern' razor since I can't bring my real one.  Every single time I get razor burn and usually a nick, including yesterday morning.  I went to bed last night and my face still felt like someone took a grinding wheel to it.  This morning, thank God I could shave using my normal stuff - Art of Shaving cream and a Merkur long handle with feather blades.  

I shave in the shower, it takes about a half minute longer than using a can and a GillSchicketteMachVIXXQuadTurbo.  For that extra half minute or so, I NEVER get razor burn or cut.  Never.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With a double edge safety razor I spend about $40 a year now on shaving.

I used to spend that every two months on cartrateges.

View Quote

I just buy a big pack of disposables at Costco and make sure they are dry after using.  That 1 pack lasts at least a year.  I do have a baby face though and it would take me at least a month to grow anything resembling a beard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:57:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I shave the night before so I guess I have the time

I also shave my head in the shower
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rest of the world also showers half as often as us. Many of them even have to be reminded by missionaries not to shit in the drinking water. Using the rest of the world as a yard stick for what should be done in the US is not always the best idea.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I just use disposable Bics.  They work fine.
View Quote

I use Gillette, but the throwaways are great.  I get about a month out of each before they start to drag.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#20]
When my grandfather passed away my brother and I were tasked with cleaning out his house.

The price tag was on a box of safety razor blades and I mentally compared it to the highway robbery price I had recently paid for a pack of cartridge razor blades.

I started with a safety razor years ago and now that I am back to it I am not giving it up.  I get as good or better of a shave and save a lot of $$ as well.  What is the problem with that?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't like the 5 blade ones either. Seems like the extra blades are purely for marketing. A Bic does the job fine.
View Quote

Depends on the texture and thickness of your growth. When I was a teen and had softer, thinner facial hair the cheap Bics worked fine. At 33 you can strike a match on my cheek by noon and those single blade razors don't do shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can shave off a five day beard with a safety razor.
Try that with your bic, or five bladed whateverthefuck.
View Quote

Electric clippers first, Mach to finish up. Still twice as fast and just as good.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can shave off a five day beard with a safety razor.
Try that with your bic, or five bladed whateverthefuck.
View Quote

I shaved off 5 days of growth Monday am with a shick 5 blade.  I used $1 a can shave cream too thanks for playin
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I got my first DE 6 years ago, and from the first shave I was hooked.  Now I have a beard so I don't shave my whole face everyday. In fact yesterday I bought a replacement puck of Tabac.  Last time I bought Dec/2011.   So that's $14 almost every 2 years and Tabac is much better than any cream or gel.    Bought a 10 pack of feathers at the same time and probably won't have to buy razors for another year.  
So for value and shave DEs can't be beat
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:14:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My wife bought me a merker razor, badger hair brush and all that other shit as a present, even though I have a beard. She gets in to these internet fads a few months after they get popular on reddit or wherever and migrate over to the soccer moms on facebook.

Bless her heart I will humor her and try using it for a while. I watched the youtube vids and read the forum threads. I shaved my beard off for a week with this thing and it fucking sucks. It takes at least twice as long as when I use my trusted little Gillette Sensor I normally use to shave my neck beard with. Then I am supposed to do 3 passes?? Who has time for this shit every morning except for pretentious unemployed retro-wannabe hipsters, and super old retired dudes? It's way less maneuverable than the Sensor. It does not shave any closer. What's the point?

I'll stick with this:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGKver2zzKjRbgFvoHZOX0fa3nVeDy5iOFMsTj5fJC7x_0IdlVzg
View Quote

You are doing it wrong, and you bought shitty stuff.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Awesome, I've always wanted to be an idiot hipster!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The rest of the world also showers half as often as us. Many of them even have to be reminded by missionaries not to shit in the drinking water. Using the rest of the world as a yard stick for what should be done in the US is not always the best idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must've missed the thread where most of ARFCOM only showered once a day...maybe and some don't shower for a few days.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Funny, didn't realize my Grandfather was an internet hipster. I'm still using his '57 Gillette and spend $.07 a blade.
View Quote
Pretty much this... I've had my fathers Merkur since I started shaving.  I like the shave you get, and blades cost almost nothing.  I don't subscribe to the whole stupid brush thing though, I just buy Noxema shaving cream in the green can.  

So in other words, OP, go punch yourself in the nuts.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#29]
My safety razor is cheaper and gives me a better shave than any modern razor.

It's all about finding the right setup. Some blades suck on my face and some work wonders.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:27:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey, cartridge razors are great - you get a quick, close shave.  Leaves me with terrible razor burn though.  DE leaves my face smoother and actually shaves closer if I take the time.  Not for everyday, but makes what is otherwise a chore into one of life's little luxuries.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It takes a whole 5 minutes to shave 3 passes, I can even shave the night before and still have a baby butt smooth shave in the morning oooooo the horrors.

ETA: What razor blades did you use?  Merkur razor blades suck I like feathers and astras.
View Quote

Same boat here.  To the t.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#33]
They have a name for people without BEARDS, they call them WOMEN.

And that's what you all sound like, bitching about your bathroom routines.

Grow a fucking beard.  Man up.

Beards save lives.

I don't understand this 'shaving' fetish.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope some day to finally hit puberty so i can grow a beard sufficient enough that i can bitch about it on ARFcom
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My translation of the OP:

"WHAAAA!!   STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE!!!!"

I get where he's coming from though.

I tried one for a while. I echo the OP for the most part. The only thing I did like was the total cost, and maybe the nostalgia/olden-times feel of it all.

Finally, I just decided, "forget this mess" and just grew a beard for the first time ever. Extra time in the mornings NOT shaving, I look like Rutherford Hayes, the wife likes it. I still have to shave my neck, but use a 3 blade sunuvagun because I never could get the neck done well w/ a DE.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Let it grow boys, let it grow!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Give the items back to your wife as a gift.

My fiancee is the first woman I've ever met who uses an old-school straight razor, shaving mug, soap, and brush to make...uh, let's just say, every single delicate contour of her body absolutely smooth as glass. I've been with girls who shaved (modern razors) and waxed, but NOTHING beats the feel of what that old-school steel razor can do. And she never has any irritation or scrapes.

Spoken, of course, by he who is a fan of giving oral as much as receiving it
View Quote

That's just bragging, man, just plain old bragging...  not nice at all
<-- jealous

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Try lathering up with a good bar soap (Coast) before you shave. The oils in the soap give a much smoother shave than any creme and the oil lubricates the blades and your razors last 3 or 4 times longer. Asshole shaving creme/razor manufactures put corrosive shit in the creme that eats up the blades so you have to replace them more often.$$$$

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#39]
I agree to a point.  I have a really coarse beard, and shaving my chin with the safety razor is an exercise in frustration.  

That being said, it works fairly well on other areas, so I use it and then clean up with a Mach 3.  It extends the life of the blades a lot, and saves money.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#40]
There is something annoying about the guys who really get into the whole old school shaving thing and then talk about it constantly  trying to convince everyone they know that its just totally awesome.

If you want to waste a few minutes every day conducting an elaborate ritual to celebrate the finer things in life that we miss out on in the fast paced modern world, why do it when you are half-asleep and late for work? Your grandpa probably hated shaving and would have killed for a disposable mach 8 whatever razor.

Go to a barber and let him give you a shave while you relax. Or listen to some music and enjoy a nice single malt scotch.

I read a funny thread on one of those sites about one of those guys on a family vacation taking all of his gear and conducting his shaving ritual in a campground or rest stop and then wondering why all the sketchy public bathroom denizens were giving him weird looks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#41]
The only benefit is the blades are made of better steel and they last alot longer and are cheaper than the standard dispoable blades.  I rather spend $15 on a box of Mach3 blades that will last me 3 months, and not have to deal with the saftey razor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I normally don't shave to a clean shave, but when I do I use me safety razor.  Most of the time I just use an electric and shave it down to stubble because with a normal razor I would get terrible razor burn and rash on my neck.  Fucking sensitive bitch skin I guess...  When I do shave with the safety razor I get almost zero razor burn.  Worth it to me, but again I don't shave everyday.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How many shaves do you guys get out of a DE blade?
View Quote

I get 5 good shaves, 2-3 good shaves and then it's time to replace. Note, this is with Yellow label Fethers. The OP should know it takes a good week to get used to the technique and your skin to adapt. Getting a good lather is key here but if he thinks this is trendy, hipster BS he should go back in time and tell his great grandfather to stop wearing his skinny jeans.

Seriously OP, if you don't want to save money AND get a better shave just stick with the market hype.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#45]
If you have ever had a real shave by a good barber with a straight razor, and done the right way with all the prep and after shave care, you would understand the safety razor shave. Is about as close as one can get to the closeness and feel of a real shave. Your face feels absolutely great after one.

Also, I have a fusion razor and it can shave and shave pretty easily, but the cost of those blades is highway robbery. And yes, I have bought in bulk and as cheap as you can get off of Amazon and eBay, but damn they are still expensive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:41:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I shave multi day beards with a Shick Hydro 5 all the time. Some of you have too much time on your hands.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#47]
1)  cheaper

2) better shave.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do y'all even know what a "safety razor" is?

Judging from some of the responses many don't.

There's no "cartridge". No sharpening of blades.

One blade, sharp on two sides. Lasts about 2-3 shaves per side. 1930's tech, basically a piece of shit. There's nothing magic about them or even nostalgic other than they look kinda cool.

They're what I learned to shave with and anyone who uses one nowadays is an idiot. Or a Hipster. Idiot hipster, there ya go.

Fusion for TMFW.
View Quote

Fusion for the win.... fo sho!
Safety razors are for pussies who can't handle straight razors.... all you safey razor idiots can choke on that.

-ZA
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

There's a reason they aren't used anymore. They suck compared to today's razors.
View Quote
Yep. I don't ride a fucking buggy, either.

They are large, blocky, inefficient, and just generally shitty.

I can shave quicker, closer, and safer with a Gillette Mach 3 than anyone can with queen Victoria's leg scraper.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Its all about classic ironing

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top