User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Folding stock only.

Edit: All your page 3 are bel0ng to me!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I expect I'll get on the list for the SWAT model.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a real AR....why would I want a clone?
for over $1k?

No thanks.
But I'll keep my change until a 550/1/2 ever come available
until then it will be me a my lil' Plum rifle w/ Piston

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They added much too much TAPCO-ish bling to it.  Might as well just add a piston upper for my AR..

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Nada.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where's my sig 550?

+1
Looks like Tapco, not SIG
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pic?

ONE  Of the three configs that will be offered.  Don't have pics of the other 2. Nor have I seen pics of the other 2.  This is a 20" barrel.

sigforum.com/movedimages/para/556/556a.jpg

Not buying that configuration, but might wait and see on future configs..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you install a SIG folding stock on that?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
BUY BUY BUY, I cant believe im actually going to be allower to purchase a 55X.  One of the nicest rifles I have ever shot was a 552.  It might even replace my AR as a bedside gun :).

THANK YOU SIG!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
need to see what the other  configs are.

I dont like the stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Why should I buy. Parts will be non existant for a while then high priced. I can replace anything on an AR for cheap and can get it much easier. Can't see what it offers over the AR anyways.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm seriously wanting one depending on what they are like when they materialize.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How long did you bitch for one, now you got it and no one wants it?

Easy killer.....

Firstly, the 556 is NOT the 550 or 551 or 552.  Not really even close.

Second, some of these concerns are fairly important to what "sells" rifles.

You're telling me that a different handguard and stock, 2 parts which can be easily removed by anyone willing to do so, negate completely its position in the 55x line?    What do you mean not even close?  Its the same rifle with a different guard, stock and magwell.  The parts that reall matter (operation, bolt, trigger group) are all the same.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow you people are picky.  Who cares what the stock is?  The internals matter.  I'm certain someone aftermarket will make a kit, possibly from imported sig parts, that will give it the folding stock.  

How long did you bitch for one, now you got it and no one wants it?  Maybe there was some sort of issue with the stocks not being able to be built in the states so instead of delaying the whole thing sig adapted it to get it in the hands of the people who demanded it?  They might make a conversion for it themselves, later.  

We wanted a Sig550/1/2, you know like the type imported prior to 89'.  Was that too much to ask?

Well until a law changes we're stuck with what they manufacture here.  I'm glad they came to market with something as opposed to delaying it even further.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow you people are picky.  Who cares what the stock is?  The internals matter.  I'm certain someone aftermarket will make a kit, possibly from imported sig parts, that will give it the folding stock.  

How long did you bitch for one, now you got it and no one wants it?  Maybe there was some sort of issue with the stocks not being able to be built in the states so instead of delaying the whole thing sig adapted it to get it in the hands of the people who demanded it?  They might make a conversion for it themselves, later.  

We bitched for a 550, 551, and a 552s.  Not some bastardized M4 hybrid.  Most of us have M4s and AKs already and do fine with them.

OMG YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE THE WAY IT LOOKS BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS WELDED IN PLACE.   Did you know that you can scare off 68% more badguys by racking the slide on black tactical shotgun than you can with a blued gun?

Plus sig is doing everyone a favor by utilizing an existing huge mag base instead of dumping a gun on the market that will take rare, overpriced mags.  How many people are converting thier FNs to AR mags?

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's more than just the stock, though the 55x stock was an amazingly solid stock. Where is my 55x battle sight? Why a welded-on rail? Why the bizarre handguards? Why the First Samco-looking pistol grip?

I am an unapologetic Sig fanboy, but I'll be the first to admit that Sig can make mistakes. Just look at the problems the GSR has had. And frankly, the 556 is not what most of us were envisioning when we think 'Sig 55x'.

So put a sig stock on it later.  Someone will make it, no doubt.  The battle sight might be a rail mountable option.    

I have a feeling that if Sig released this as the Sig 553 then 6 months later started selling them in the american market half the naysayers here would be all over it.  Who cares what it looks like?  Does it perform is the question.  

Quoted:
Skipping it.  Where's the huge improvement over my current AR?

Have you not seen the sig internals?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on buying the SWAT version.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No.  It's not what I wanted, so I won't buy it.

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
No buy
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#17]
A big thanks to Sig for releasing the rifles... I wish them well with sales.

But without a classic 55X, bring on the XCR.  (A boy can dream, no?)

- BG
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven't made up my mind yet, I would like to see the other two, but even if I do buy one It won't be first on my list.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A big thanks to Sig for releasing the rifles... I wish them well with sales.

+1

They MUST correct that AR stock mistake and relace it with the original folding stock in order for me to be a buyer.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I will decide after I get a chance to handle one.

ARH

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The stock mount better accept a side folder and that high raise better not be tack welded to the receiver. About as best a photochop I can do. This assumes that SIG will import 550 furniture sets, the high rise is not welded in place but rather scewed into the receiver, and receiver is drilled and tapped to accept picatanny base and rear sight. The stock is Magpul's UBR, hider is a phantom.

That should cost an extra 600 or so dollars in parts and labor to place on top of the MSRP to undo the changes.

The thing still doesn't look quite right, IMO. If I want a muscle car, I want the whole shebang as it was intended, not a corvette engine in a riced out honda civic.

EDIT: Added extra configurations.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#22]
No. I'd rather have an FN F2000.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Blah, blah, blah  

Why should we have to fix all their stupid mistakes?
If someone offers you a M-4 when you want an A-2 do you say, "Great, I can just change the sights, stock, barrel, etc. and have just what I want"?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I wanted a true 55x not some sig ar15, I would of paid $2k for the real deal maybe even more if I sold off a couple of my current AR's. Not interested anymore maybe down the road if they release something truer to the 55x series I will more then likely buy. But the 556? No, I will wait for the FN SCAR now, maybe pick up a piston AR upper.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Its scary how many people call this a AR based Sig.

I would have thought on AR15.com of all places people might know SOMETHING about an AR15 besides thefact it takes a 5.56 round.

I see I was mistaken.

I know plenty about BOTH systems, this rifle is NOT what many of us have been asking for over the past 10-12 years.  Therefore, I will not purchase one until I have $1K+ not earmarked for something I actually WANT.  And I would call it a SIG based AR, Sig receiver, and a bunch of AR-style parts.   So no, you weren't mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy killer.....

You're telling me that a different handguard and stock, 2 parts which can be easily removed by anyone willing to do so, negate completely its position in the 55x line?    What do you mean not even close?  Its the same rifle with a different guard, stock and magwell.  The parts that reall matter (operation, bolt, trigger group) are all the same.  

Oh, you've handled one?  Armorer's course already?  Really?

If so, please let us know how hard it is to swap out the AR15 stock with a true 55x folder.

Would you also mind telling us if the top cover is swappable with a part that doesn't have tha optic rail bump up?

Where are the HK-style rear sights?  Can you even use them with that horrible bumped up rail?  

How about if I can use the true 55x grip?

Will it accept the 55x short barrels, you know the 9" ones that came on the 55x's?

Maybe those things aren't important to YOU, they were to me.

I'm glad they fucked it up, it saves me $1700.

Cheers.  

BTW, Lighten Up, Francis....you act like this rifle is your pet fucking project.......geez.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have a feeling that if Sig released this as the Sig 553 then 6 months later started selling them in the american market half the naysayers here would be all over it.  Who cares what it looks like?  Does it perform is the question.  

How dare us mere consumers have our own opinions and tastes!! We should just like and accept anything and everything that comes off the factory line no matter what it looks like. How dare we expect a rifle to be asthetically pleasing.

Hell, we dont even know if it IS possible to fit surplus 55x furniture sets to this thing, let alone aquire and fit an original FH to the bbl.

I have no need for that rail, I would want a rifle with standard Swiss mil iron sights, but I would have to go through all the trouble to remove the rail and find and mount the original sights.

Would it have been that hard to just make a direct semi-auto copy of the 55x? The needed parts are already in production and most of the R&D would have already been done. They only needed to make an NFA compliant receiver and the 922r compliant parts here in the USA while bring in the rest as new production or NOS(hell, even surplus .mil parts would be fine by me) from Switzerland.

They could still offer one covered in rails so the gear queers could bolt every accessory on Earth onto them, while us KISS adherents like the nice clean lines of the basic model.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easy killer.....

Oh, you've handled one?  Armorer's course already?  Really?

If so, please let us know how hard it is to swap out the AR15 stock with a true 55x folder.

Would you also mind telling us if the top cover is swappable with a part that doesn't have tha optic rail bump up?

Where are the HK-style rear sights?  Can you even use them with that horrible bumped up rail?  

How about if I can use the true 55x grip?

Will it accept the 55x short barrels, you know the 9" ones that came on the 55x's?

Maybe those things aren't important to YOU, they were to me.

I'm glad they fucked it up, it saves me $1700.

Cheers.  

I share all of your grievances but there is a bit of hope left; the SIG 556 SWAT variant will have a standard flat top upper and a quad-rail forearm.  It should be released later this year.

But I do agree, SIG low balled this one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll reserve my decision for when I see the real deal, not the show pony.  This is like a prototype at the auto show - It will probably only have a vague resemblance to the final product (if we are lucky).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Its scary how many people call this a AR based Sig.

I would have thought on AR15.com of all places people might know SOMETHING about an AR15 besides thefact it takes a 5.56 round.

I see I was mistaken.

It has a piston-driven operation instead of directly venting gasses back into the receiver. Besides that, I see some TAPCO accessories slapped on and left with an AR-15 derivative.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How dare us mere consumers have our own opinions and tastes!! We should just like and accept anything and everything that comes off the factory line no matter what it looks like. How dare we expect a rifle to be asthetically pleasing.

Hell, we dont even know if it IS possible to fit surplus 55x furniture sets to this thing, let alone aquire and fit an original FH to the bbl.

I have no need for that rail, I would want a rifle with standard Swiss mil iron sights, but I would have to go through all the trouble to remove the rail and find and mount the original sights.

Would it have been that hard to just make a direct semi-auto copy of the 55x? The needed parts are already in production and most of the R&D would have already been done. They only needed to make an NFA compliant receiver and the 922r compliant parts here in the USA while bring in the rest as new production or NOS(hell, even surplus .mil parts would be fine by me) from Switzerland.

They could still offer one covered in rails so the gear queers could bolt every accessory on Earth onto them, while us KISS adherents like the nice clean lines of the basic model.

Agreed on all counts. Over-design seems to have ruined a civilian 55x, unless they wise up and KISS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#32]
No Buy here.  The SWAT model sounds promising though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I said no-buy but I may change my mind.  I love Sig but I HATE the AR-15 collapsible stock.  I think if I can put a real Sig stock on it that I can use the elevated sight platform, but I would have to handle the weapon first.  I would rather have a fixed stock (preferably NOT an A2) than the collapsible.

Who knows, I will play with it when it is actually on the market.  If it fits me, I will add it to the safe.

shooter
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No Buy here.  The SWAT model sounds promising though.

The original concept of a civilian 55x rifle sounded promising too, and look what we ended up with...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Here's a post from someone who is apparently at SHOT from Sigforum

Posted Feb 8, 7:47 PM  
Sig has about a dozen of these rifles in their Shot Show booth. Including the SWAT model without an elevated rail and with an aluminum forearm rail. They have several different flash hiders on them, and will have a silencer on display. So the good news is they are showing lots of stuff and seeing what people respond to. That is great.

and

Posted Feb 8, 8:03 PM  
You guys have to read the press release. THE RAISED RAIL IS OPTIONAL. The gun is available with a low rail.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We bitched for a 550, 551, and a 552s.  Not some bastardized M4 hybrid.  Most of us have M4s and AKs already and do fine with them.

You have a piston driven M4 eh? You know, you could have bought a Sig for much less.

For your information I have a piston driven AR.  Its called a DAEWOO.  It is probably a better AK system then some of the more expensive AR piston stuff out there.  Its not fair to call the SIG an AR thats piston driven. Its closer to an AK in architecture and build.  So obviously you need to sharpen your knowledge of guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You guys have to read the press release. THE RAISED RAIL IS OPTIONAL. The gun is available with a low rail.

Oh no......

I feel my wallet creeping.....

If one of these multiple models look like the REAL 55x's.....and I can get a factory SBR I might be in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#38]
heres another photoshoped representation from sigforum

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no......

I feel my wallet creeping.....

If one of these multiple models look like the REAL 55x's.....and I can get a factory SBR I might be in trouble.

Well, it's one thorn in a lot of peoples side that can most likely be dispelled.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#40]
You know what would be great........the origional folding stock.  If they allowed the M4 stock to fold, then I'd be all over it like a game warden on an illegal snomobiler.  I like that it's in 5.56, mostly because it's cheaper to shoot.  I'll wait and see one in person.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I will buy one IF AND ONLY IF

- they get rid of the raised rail and replace it with the receiver height 552 rail OR diopter sights

- they offer it with a real 550 series lower, that uses the 550 stock and 550 mags

- either standard 551 handguards, or the B&T rail system fits on it

So, it's a definite NO for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I'd hit it, we bitched and we didn't get exactly what we wanted.

Don't expect to see HK giving the commercial rifle market a new product, or Colt for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#45]
No....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#46]

I think it's wonderful that SIG is releasing a new tactical semi-auto for public consumption.

However, at this point, I'm not moved enough personally to spend the money.

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/neykir.jpg

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

i1.tinypic.com/neykir.jpg

getting better
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Put on a Flat rail and its good to go.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#50]
It's no wonder why the shooting public sees so few new semi-auto rifles being developed for the civilian market.  Looking at the results, I too would be hesitant to set up domestic manufacture for a new rifle for civilian consumption.

AR15.com, the unofficial home of EBRs, shows less than a majority of folks who would purchase one.  The target market for that firearm has turned its collective nose to Sig for getting licensing permissions and domestically producing a rifle many of us have wanted for some time.

Gun owers are a fickle bunch. We are our worst enemy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top