Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Nope, I'm not catching on to anything. You've just presented me with a situation that has no possible satisfactory conclusion, so I must make do with the scenario as you have laid it out.
View Quote

Real world terrorist situations usually have only Shitty Option A. or Shitty Option B.

Quoted:
In such a situation you must do the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Period.
View Quote

COMMUNIST! Seriously, I generally agree but certain people have higher priorities. Would you save your wife first if it meant 3 additional people would die? Honestly I would. It may not be right, but it is the truth.

I will look out for people in priority of MY family first, then myself, then others. Doesn't mean I won't risk my ass to bail your ass out of a jam. Ans I would fully understand ANY PERSON saving their child before mine. I won't like it, but I will understand.

Quoted:
But let's get back to our original situation where you said you would take the shot 'cause you want to go home at the end of your shift (if you're an LEO) or simply go home (if you're a civilian).

Let me make the same change I made for others.

The child being held by the crazed woman is your daughter.

A LEO/civilian is in the same position that you were just a few minutes ago in this thread.

Do you want him to think the same way you did when the shoot/don't shoot call was yours? Eh?
I would shoot at the first opportunity EVERY TIME. [u]Even as the risk of killing the child.[/u] You see "I" have a family and me being around to take care of them takes higher priority than ANYONE's child. I would NOT try and kill the child but I would not sacrifice MYSELF for that child if the person was trying to kill me.
View Quote

See, you can afford to think the way you do when it's some other schmuck's child endangered.

When it's yours, the rules change a bit don't they?
View Quote

Again, I won't like it. But I would understand it. I don't expect ANYONE to take a bullet for me or my family. ONLY "I" have that obligation.

Now if it was me and the kid was yours, and the gun WAS NOT pointed at me, I wouldn't feel compelled to take the shot. But if the gun WAS pointed at me or multiple person were being shot RIGHT NOW, I would take the shot and do my very best to NOT hit the kid.

Quoted:
But there are some things worse than dying and killing a child is right up there with the very worst thing you can do.

As a matter of fact, it's at the top of the list!

Think it over.

Eric The(ItWouldn'tBeEasy,ButThenWhoSaidItWouldBe)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Yep, that is a shitty one for sure. But it isn't a matter of "I" wouldn't die to save the kid. It is more a matter of MY family depends on me for their survival, so it it a choice of MY kid and family or THAT kid.

Harsh call, but I already know the answer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummm, just how much "attacking" can a woman carrying a child do ?????  unless she has a gun or a knife in that other hand, and from the pics it sure does'nt look that way, HELL NO !!! there is no reason to punch a child !!!

View Quote

OK first, as I noted above, if it were me, I'd have removed the child BEFORE kicking the womans ass. So on that issue I agree.

But let me try and re explain my original point.

I would find it unnaceptable for a woman with a child to attack ANYONE.

Situation ONE: You are a white person walking past a civil rights demonstration. A black woman carrying her child (as a human shield and for later photo propaganda) attacks YOU the evil white man. Do you defend yourself?

Situation TWO: You are a black person walking past a white power demonstration. A white woman carrying her child (as a human shield and for later photo propaganda) attacks YOU the evil black man. Do you defend yourself?

I also find these types of attacks on LEOs just as offensive. The point I was trying to make IS - IF YOU HAVE YOUR CHILD YOU DO NOT TAKE THEM INTO HARMS WAY. That is because people, including those in law enforcement WILL defend themselves.
View Quote

Steyr, here we agree. Anyone who intentionally puts a child in danger deserves to be dealt with harshly. I do not find these attacks (the type we are discussing) "offensive" to leo's, I see it as part of the job they signed up to do. If they don't like dealing with these and other stressfull situations, then they are in the wrong line of work.  It's a thankless job with good and bad times and especially these days the public relations aspect of law enforcement such a major concern, leo's have to use the utmost restraint when dealing with the public.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course I don't have the slightest idea of what really happened, but I wouldn't put it past some people utilize a child's presence in a confrontation with police.  Heck, parents use their kids in strollers to muscle their way through malls.  I'll bet nearly everyone on this board has been forced aside as some mom shoved her kid in a stroller at you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Boys, boys, boys, are you guys Americans or what?

Just because some pinhead (?) protestor does something stupid like smack a policeman with her purse while holding her baby, does not give the policeman the right to endanger the child's well-being by swinging back wildly!

That's the way a civilized police department would act. Obviously, this particular policeman got all of his training under the former Soviet system, which was not very civilized at all.

Let's see. Suppose the woman had a gun and was threatening the [u]police[/u] with it.

Who thinks it would be a wise and justifiable course of action for the [u]police[/u] to shoot back at the woman with the child in her arms?

If you are an American LEO and you said yes, please turn in your badge.

But don't worry about a job. I hear there may be an opening in the Vladivostok Police Dept. very soon.

Eric The(TheyMayLoveYouThere)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

[rolleyes]Well at least the cop did'nt shoot the mother while she was holding the kid.[rolleyes]

libharouchi

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top