Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the smarter things MI has suggested in a while.

I don't mind this one bit so long as they grade it before the washboard ripples shake your fillings loose.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works for me - wish they'd do that here.

And when the summer rains come?

http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/images/siberia%2021%20337.jpg

Wow. Degenerating infrastructure, almost zilch capital investment, banana republic here we come.

That's dirt. Gravel doesn't do that...the worst you're going to get with gravel roads is a dusty car and maybe a little chipped paint behind your wheel wells.

What do you think is under that gravel?

The problem with gravel is that it has to be replaced often. In area with high rain and double especially with snow you can rut the shit out of a road with a quickness.

Have you ever seen a gravel road before?  Seriously?

I grew up down one in north Louisiana. During bad rain storms the only reason we could get to the house was because my mom's beater Outback did better than most of the redneck's trucks.

What did your other mom drive?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

i miss the dirt roads i used to live on

I practically grew up on dirt roads so I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. Degenerating infrastructure, almost zilch capital investment, banana republic here we come.

That's dirt. Gravel doesn't do that...the worst you're going to get with gravel roads is a dusty car and maybe a little chipped paint behind your wheel wells.

The problem with gravel is that it has to be replaced often. In area with high rain and double especially with snow you can rut the shit out of a road with a quickness.

I grew up down one in north Louisiana. During bad rain storms the only reason we could get to the house was because my mom's beater Outback did better than most of the redneck's trucks.

That sounds like a problem with the way your road was constructed without enough drainage rather than a material problem.

My gravel road has great drainage and lasts months during the summer, even when it rains alot in the late spring. It's smooth as hell right now and it rained hard last night. They haven't graded and dropped gravel in two months.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And people always have wondered how the Romans built such great roads and aqueducts, then nothing but deterioration and relics of a great past.

Oh, and people also wonder how a republic can be seen as 'Degenerate' and faltering and gladly hand over the reigns to end corruption and bring back good roads with a "strong man" leader in charge.

They didnt have Rebar. Thats alot of it right there.

We got hit with a pretty big rain here not too long ago. Many roads were beginning to wash out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Are they talking about true gravel roads, or "seal coated" roads which have a layer of tar put over the preexisting pavement which is then covered by gravel?  They've been doing a lot of that here in Kalamazoo County.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I drove many a mile on Michigan gravel roads.  With a good hard-pack of snow, you could drive faster on them than the rural paved roads after a snow.  For rural, low volume roads there's nothing wrong with a gravel road, but all the fuck-sticks that fled Detroit demanded paved roads "just like in the City".  Fuck them, it's mostly rural farmland, and gravel roads are just fine.

The biggest problem with Michigan's roads are the number of freeze-thaw cycles they have every year.  To the north, the ground stays frozen all winter, to the south, the ground doesn't freeze very often.  In Michigan, you can have 2 or 3 freeze-thaw cycles in a week, which tears the ass out of an asphalt base, and causes heaving on concrete roads.  U.S.23 (used to be all concrete) was horrible.....the slabs would be 3-4 inches different from slab-to-slab.

Not a damn thing wrong with a maintained gravel road......plus you get to get a new windshield or two every year!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A properly constructed rock road holds up to weather just as well (and sometimes better) than paved.  You just can't travel as fast on it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow!  And they call us Southerners Rednecks

Gotta love UAW  Wonder if dem government vehicles will make down a unimproved road?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Part of the problem here is that they've put off fixing roads for so long that by the time they get around to them the cost to fix them has skyrocketed and they have to completely tear the road out and rebuild it from scratch. Plus the idiots at the road comission wasting money by tar and chipping blacktop roads that are in great condition.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya no shit..

Don't argue with a journalist! They know more about this than you dumb hicks who actually drive on the roads. Why just last week there was a special on NPR about Obama rebuilding infrastructure...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I  am of a mixed mind on this.  I grew up on gravel roads here in Iowa and HATED every time it rained and the winter.  If they don't take care of them they get rutted and will suck you into a ditch quicker than shit!  I see the reason to not pave small country roads but...gravel sucks!  The dust gets everywhere!  But then again thats why I moved to the city no gravel!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I  am of a mixed mind on this.  I grew up on gravel roads here in Iowa and HATED every time it rained and the winter.  If they don't take care of them they get rutted and will suck you into a ditch quicker than shit!  I see the reason to not pave small country roads but...gravel sucks!  The dust gets everywhere!  But then again thats why I moved to the city no gravel!

Now you've done it.

Apparently if you don't like gravel roads that makes your mother a lesbian. Just ask larkinmusic.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you guys think of privatizing roads? I heard someone make this argument a while back. You would have to pay a small toll or stare at an ad to pass, but theoretically, the condition of the roads would be much better, and it wouldn't waste millions of taxpayer dollars as contractors milk as much time as possible to get a road project done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
More gravel roads = Less salt on the roads in the winter.

I might actually be able to keep a vehicle for 10 years without it rusting to pieces.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to think gravel roads were shitty when it rained, but that all changed when our brilliant county government decided to replace the gravel with shale.  The shale makes a fine powder dust when you drive on it, and when it rains it's like clay slip.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top