[#1]
I'd rather have a M&P15-22.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why the flash hider on a .22?
View Quote

You won't have to thread the bbl for a can.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like it. Now does it shoot better than my standard carbine?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Price?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the stock. If I could pick one up aftermarket, I'd slap on on my 10/22. I still want to get a threaded barrel and eventually a can to put on the end of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Makes me want it all the more!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the first 10/22 I'll be buying, any timeline on availability?

And does it come in pink for my little girl?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Want.  Especially if they make a take down version.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Price?

It should retail about $439 according to the factory rep.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't find the stock aesthetically pleasing, but I'm pragmatic enough to recognize functionality has a beauty all it's own. The only wood-stocked rifle I own is, ironically, a 10/22.

With the stainless steel, synthetic stock, sling studs, Picatinny top rail, threaded barrel, and better sights, I may look into one of these as a general pinker even without having taken an Appleseed class. I've considered doing much of that to my 10/22, but mine is still just a big box store cheapie at heart.

The last post in the archived thread sums it up perfectly:

Quoted:
Nice. I like the fact that Gary won. It's what I want but I'm too lazy to put it together myself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it was offered with a walnut stock and blue steel I would be on it like a tick on a June bug.

They need to supply it with a canvas web sling  case that unzips into a shooting mat
View Quote

This! Not of fan of plastic and stainless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Finally, a 10-22 that I actually want to own.  Not that I want to pony up the (nearly) $500 to get one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#14]
My appleseed 10/22 was the sporter model.  It was one of the only models at the time I could find with sling swivels from the factory, and also comes with some really nice looking checkering.  A green sling made it lovely.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if the barrel is free-floating?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is good, good news.

Big for Appleseed.  Which by the way, if you've never shot an Appleseed- you're missing out.  
View Quote

And after Appleseed, come out and try highpower rifle. The principles you learn at Appleseed will give you a big head start!

Start with a local reduced distance match and then when you shoot the full distance, you'll get great satisfaction with the rifleman's quarter mile at actual distance with a service rifle.

I would like to shoot an appleseed event, but the local club that runs them charges way too much for me at $80 for a weekend plus a non-member range fee of $10 per day. Is that normal? I shoot the 200/300/600 and 3x600 full distance matches one weekend a month and the match fees total $50 for the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes I have.  You don't need a target rifle to participate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Appleseed isn't a 'target' activity.  It's basic marksmanship training.  Why would they put a target hammer and sear into such a rifle?

Have you been to an Appleseed?

Means that the 10/22 might have a liveable trigger pull out of the box. IOW, you will not have to buy a Timney or Kidd, or at least not right away.

Red Falcon Bill is absolutely correct.

My wife and I teach at AS.  Some students with stock triggers literally exhaust their finger muscle and have to pull the trigger with two fingers on day two.  A $40-something Volquertson hammer makes a big difference.  There is a big difference between the shitty stock 10/22 trigger, and a milspec stock AR-15 or M1A trigger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And after Appleseed, come out and try highpower rifle. The principles you learn at Appleseed will give you a big head start!

Start with a local reduced distance match and then when you shoot the full distance, you'll get great satisfaction with the rifleman's quarter mile at actual distance with a service rifle.

I would like to shoot an appleseed event, but the local club that runs them charges way too much for me at $80 for a weekend plus a non-member range fee of $10 per day. Is that normal? I shoot the 200/300/600 and 3x600 full distance matches one weekend a month and the match fees total $50 for the weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is good, good news.

Big for Appleseed.  Which by the way, if you've never shot an Appleseed- you're missing out.  

Think of it as a training course fee, not a competition match fee.

AS charges $40/day, with substantial discounts for kids that make it possible to bring the family, and many shoot bosses will offer a discount or free seat to someone who is financially struggling. Most NRA Basic Rifle instructors charge ~$100+ for a one day class.  A Front Sight membership for $250 comes out to $60/day for their four-day rifle class.  The Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry is a better deal financially but honestly is not as good in many ways for the new shooter.  GunSite or Thunder Ranch or even a local carbine course will be way more than $40/day...  There is nothing else in the training/shooting world that comes close to the value at a typical AS.

AS isn't just for new shooters either.  While we do shoot some KD at every AS that has the facilities, wxperienced ones may get more out of a dedicated 100% known distance AS event.  We need the experienced CMP High Power guys to help as volunteers if they are interested in passing on what they know.

I am very happy that there is an "out of the box" rifle ready to go I can recommend to students.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Not NY legal
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Price?

It should retail about $439 according to the factory rep.

Sold.  Now Just have to wait for them to show up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#21]
suppressor ready - ok that could be fun

sights are correct for the game

stock is a bit uggly

in the end it still has a rugar trigger that sucks donkey balls.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I am seriously considering doing my first appleseed this year.  The one I want to go to goes out to 400 yards.  I was thinking about taking my bolt 30-06.  Will a weekend of that totally destroy my shoulder?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll stick with one like this and do some mods...

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Really nice

I hope it sells well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering doing my first appleseed this year.  The one I want to go to goes out to 400 yards.  I was thinking about taking my bolt 30-06.  Will a weekend of that totally destroy my shoulder?
View Quote

It will destroy your wallet. Surely you have a 22 lying around.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It will destroy your wallet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will destroy your wallet.

Yeah, that too
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So it's illegal in NY herp derp. Way to spread the shooting sports
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY doesn't want the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll be buying this one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe I'll buy it so I can have ANOTHER gun I can't find ammo for
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your Appleseed is like what is offered locally most of the instructional shooting will be done at 25m and can be done with .22. After a day of instruction you get to put your skills to work at long range. That's when you would want to break out the centerfire. But it's up to you, you can shoot centerfire for the whole weekend if you'd like.

Make an effort to sign up for the class. I took one last fall and can't say enough good about it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I didn't say there was a downside.  Just that it's not a prerequisite to participating in, and getting something good out of, Appleseed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Appleseed isn't a 'target' activity.  It's basic marksmanship training.  Why would they put a target hammer and sear into such a rifle?

Have you been to an Appleseed?

Means that the 10/22 might have a liveable trigger pull out of the box. IOW, you will not have to buy a Timney or Kidd, or at least not right away.

To participate?  Certainly not.  

Does a better trigger make shooting better easier?  Of course.

There are no downsides to a "target" trigger in Appleseed.

I didn't say there was a downside.  Just that it's not a prerequisite to participating in, and getting something good out of, Appleseed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is good, good news.

Prices have come down for 2014!  

It's worth every dollar.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's all cater to the fucked up states at the expense of the rational ones.  Yeah.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Let's all cater to the fucked up states at the expense of the rational ones.  Yeah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A NYer who thinks his state deserves special treatment?

Neva ben dun befo.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#37]
wow it's fucking ugly

pass
Tech sights and walnut or hogue overmold please
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be silly.  Ruger has made several ban friendly guns for you guys.  I could care less about the flash hider but the threaded barrel saves a trip to the gunsmith for many of us.  Thanks Ruger!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I really like it. Now does it shoot better than my standard carbine?
View Quote

If your standard carbine is a regular factory 10/22, than this one will have a better trigger and much, much better sights, so it should shoot better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Want.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I want one
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#45]

This looks like a factory gun that comes set up exactly the way I would want one. It just went to the top of my want list.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Not a big fan of the stock but the rest of the rifle looks good.
View Quote
Indeed, it needs to be walnut and all the metal needs to be parkerized, then it would be GTG.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Very cool. It appears to the be the modular stock from the Ruger American Rimfire, adjustable for LOP - that was how it was proposed in the contest anyways.

Should that be the case this is a rifle a kid can learn marksmanship fundamentals on and grow into over the years, and setup with and without a scope. I'll probably end up getting one of these for the kids.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#48]
That thing makes the Mossberg tactical lever action look like a custom Pennsylvania long rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Glad to see they finally listened, but ditch that butt ugly stock already.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top