Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
French, but its probably not a $1k/mo one.

Almost every officer (or doctor) in the Middle East was either educated in an English speaking country or in France, so you'd be able to talk to them.  Plus its a very common language elsewhere in the world and closer to English than most of the other choices so it'll be easier.

Or look at Turkish, almost anyone in the Northern part of Iraq will speak it.

Quoted:
How did you go about getting a license for this? I'm PCS'ing to Germany in January and would like to try this out!
Its free in AKO if you've got an account.

Kharn

Hows it free?

Log into Skillport and go from there.  There are links on the main page and a FAQ on the left side.

As soon as I typed that, I got onto AKO and did some Googling on there.  I found it and just started some Spanish exercises.

Sucks you cant download them to use offline.

Then it would be too easy to pirate.  Not that it can't be done now, but that would make it even easier.

Eh, you could easily make a standalone player for that computer but s'all good.  I guess I'll have to learn the languages before my CAC password expires.

I picked Chinese...wish me luck.

OMG.  

I am trying to learn Spanish.  They use same letters as English and many of their words come from the same Latin roots as many of our words.  I can't imagine trying to learn a whole new system of writing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No Yiddish?

Go for Welsh!  The deployments would be choice!

Speaking of Yiddish, I have a troop that is a native German speaker and one that acquired Hebrew through schooling.  I challenged him to take the Yiddish DLPT jsut to see how he would fare; he got a 3/3 (read aced it).

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost every officer (or doctor) in the Middle East was either educated in an English speaking country or in France, so you'd be able to talk to them.  Plus its a very common language elsewhere in the world and closer to English than most of the other choices so it'll be easier.

Quoted:
How did you go about getting a license for this? I'm PCS'ing to Germany in January and would like to try this out!

Kharn

Hows it free?

Log into Skillport and go from there.  There are links on the main page and a FAQ on the left side.

As soon as I typed that, I got onto AKO and did some Googling on there.  I found it and just started some Spanish exercises.

Then it would be too easy to pirate.  Not that it can't be done now, but that would make it even easier.

Eh, you could easily make a standalone player for that computer but s'all good.  I guess I'll have to learn the languages before my CAC password expires.

Bastard.

Hey, at least it's free.

Actually, Chinese isn't really all that hard.  I took two semesters of it and did rather well.  Lack of use was what made me forget it...
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Bastard.

Hey, at least it's free.

Actually, Chinese isn't really all that hard.  I took two semesters of it and did rather well.  Lack of use was what made me forget it...

Thanks, that gives me a bit of hope.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bastard.

Hey, at least it's free.

Chinese as a beginners language  

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked up Spanish, so I could learn what the illegals were saying about me while shopping at Walmart

Rosette is good stuff.  Expensive, but worth it.  I was able to pick up stuff after one lesson.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Arabic, I tried the Rosetta Stone. I'm taking it at my college right now.

It was ok, but you really need to learn the aphabet and writing on your own.

Go with Modern Standard Arabic or Egyptian Arabic.

I agree, I use Rosetta Stone as a refresher, but not as a full substitute for formal courses.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
i tried arabic on AKO before i deployed, but i needed more useful utility type phrases more than I needed to learn comprehensive vocabulary so I just started studying the DLI iraqi handbooks. after 15 months of living in an iraqi city i was getting pretty good at it, I can hold conversations with locals and they all knew me by name.

The arabic course is egyptian arabic IIRC, which is pretty much useless in iraq, which falls under the gulf dialects.  Iraq has a lot of nation-specific language as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
Mandarin or Arabic.  Learn it well enough and you might just be able to write your own paycheck one day.

Exactly.  

Skip stuff like Pashtu or Dari, you'll be hard pressed to get some time to sit down with native speakers.  Also, Arabic and Mandarin will be useful long after the Afghan war is over.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i tried arabic on AKO before i deployed, but i needed more useful utility type phrases more than I needed to learn comprehensive vocabulary so I just started studying the DLI iraqi handbooks. after 15 months of living in an iraqi city i was getting pretty good at it, I can hold conversations with locals and they all knew me by name.

The arabic course is egyptian arabic IIRC, which is pretty much useless in iraq, which falls under the gulf dialects.  Iraq has a lot of nation-specific language as well.

I got pretty good at Haitian when I was deployed to Camp Kinser.  I already knew basic French, so it wasn't bad at all.  It does help when you're immersed in the language.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mandarin or Arabic.  Learn it well enough and you might just be able to write your own paycheck one day.

Exactly.  

Skip stuff like Pashtu or Dari, you'll be hard pressed to get some time to sit down with native speakers.  Also, Arabic and Mandarin will be useful long after the Afghan war is over.  

Thats why Farsi would be a good choice.  You can speak and understand Dari still (mutually intelligible), and you learn some Arabic vocabulary in the process.

Plus, Farsi is more easily acquired by a speaker of other Indo European languages than Arabic is.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Plus, Farsi is more easily acquired by a speaker of other Indo European languages than Arabic is.

I'm learning Farsi right now. It's actually more closely related to French and Spanish than to Arabic. And we all know Persian are vehemently NOT Arabs -- don't ever call them one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#13]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What industry are you in? Ive found learning Spanish makes me more flexible with who I deal with in Aurora, not to mention all the Chicas

I saw that and LOL'd

I didn't realize the OP was in CO
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What industry are you in? Ive found learning Spanish makes me more flexible with who I deal with in Aurora, not to mention all the Chicas

I saw that and LOL'd

I didn't realize the OP was in CO

Yup, and Aurora at that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kharn

Hows it free?

Took Chinese in college. Aside from it's characters, the language is not hard. It is all about repetition. Buy a book that has chinese/english stickers for modern things and put them everywhere. Example...put the mirror sticker on the mirror, toilet on the toilet, fridge on the fridge and so on. read and pronounce every time you use the item. Just use scotch tape.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quite a few 'well to do' folks I know are getting their kids Chinese lessons.  The Chinese, love em or hate em, are an economic powerhouse.  They of course will learn English, but being a native English speaker who knows Chinese is quite advantageous in the economy to come.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Spanish or Chinese.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm AD USAF, pharmacy is my trade.  Kinda looking for one of the languages that pay the extra money...but then I'd have to deploy even more I'm sure.

Base education sent out an e-mail offering the course, they bought 100 licenses and the first 100 to reply got a slot.  Since I'm mainly a chairborne ranger now days and always at my desk...I got one.

I thought they changed that.  Dont you have to be in a slot that requires a language to get language pay?

Like a interrogator or translator...?

If you can get it, good for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm AD USAF, pharmacy is my trade.  Kinda looking for one of the languages that pay the extra money...but then I'd have to deploy even more I'm sure.

Base education sent out an e-mail offering the course, they bought 100 licenses and the first 100 to reply got a slot.  Since I'm mainly a chairborne ranger now days and always at my desk...I got one.

I thought they changed that.  Dont you have to be in a slot that requires a language to get language pay?

Not too sure...I know you have to pass the exam, and if you do...and it's a language they need, you can be sure you will be deployed to an area they need it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I like those commercials with the chick with the huge knockers...  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like those commercials with the chick with the huge knockers...  

That helps too...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Arabic 1-3 gets my vote. mostly cuz i'm using it now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Arabic 1-3 gets my vote. mostly cuz i'm using it now.

How easy is it with the software?  I just bought my mic last night, so I'll start either tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#25]
you know the germans make good stuff.

always be a market for the language as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Military? Definately go for Arabic...notice all the hot spots for the past couple decades have been in the Middle East...

Also - after your commitment to the USAF is over, you would be of value to the FBI as a linguist.  They offered employment to some of my weightlifting partners (Palestinian & Syrian) for their Arabic speaking skills.

Personally, I'd like to try Italian.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Each branch has different rules with regard to who gets language pay (FLPB).  The Air Force just changed their FLPB policy with the removal of the AFSC shredouts in fact.

Just as an example, the AF pays for Farsi and Dari separately regardless of AFSC (before shredout removal), while the Army won't pay a Farsi ling for Dari because they consider it a dialect.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Each branch has different rules with regard to who gets language pay (FLPB).  The Air Force just changed their FLPB policy with the removal of the AFSC shredouts in fact.

Just as an example, the AF pays for Farsi and Dari separately regardless of AFSC (before shredout removal), while the Army won't pay a Farsi ling for Dari because they consider it a dialect.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#29]
fong long dong pong
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
fong long dong pong

What did you call my Mom?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top