BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<snip>
2. The consequences of not wearing a seat belt are very well documented and are easy to test and verify. I wish we could say the same for motorcycles. It's exceedingly difficult to test various motorcycle accident scenarios in a controlled manner. Unfortunately, all we seem to have are personal accounts of accident scenes, anecdotal evidence, and lots of speculation. I hope this is remedied someday. There are alot of misconceptions on both sides of the helmet issue. Both sides tend to invalidate their point simply by over stating it.

The only thing stopping crash testing of motorcycles is that the primary motivator of automobile crash testing, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, doesn't recognize motorcycles as actual highway transportation, and is largely comprised of the big insurers who are already charging absurd premiums to motorcyclists.

The Snell Foundation, though, can and does conduct an extraordinary amount of research into head injury and prevention.

I remeber once I was riding my Ducati Monster wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter, helmet, gloves, boots. I pulled up next to a TBSFFOAHDLK (Typical Bald Suburban Fat Fuck on a Harley-Davidson Load King) wearing shades, board shorts and flip-flops. He looked over at me and said, "You look ridiculous." I replied, "I was about to say the same thing, but I was laughing too hard." He then proceeded to try to out-loud me. Don't fuck with a Desmo wearing 41's and Sta-In-Tunes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Part of the fascination with helmets & riders is states like Colorado which force all autommobile occupants to be belted in, but motorcycle riders need not wear helmets.

<-------

KS - Seatbelt law, no helmet law. Further, a recent law mandates child seats for all children under 4'-9". No word on whether adults under 4'-9" have to be in booster seats. ... and we're supposed to be a "conservative" state. Yeah, right.

Kansas: It's as Big Government as you think.

Somehow, someway a lobby, and their supportive politicians, are making a killing on these increasingly silly laws.  I'm waiting for the mandatory helmet requirement for car passengers under the age of 16 or so.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard career ending injury somewhere in the news today. Looks lie terry B. was right, ride it when you retire. He'll have lots & lots of time to ride now.

If you ride and don't wear a helmet, YOU'RE A FRIGGIN MORON!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on the latest report of his injuries, I'd say Ben is now a "former" NFL QB.  If I were a Steeler, I'd be pissed too.

What a moron.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny.  I'm in Pittsburgh now. I should go check up on him.

Dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

At higher speeds it doesn't matter what you're wearing, the low speed accidents are where a helmet provides the most protection from injury.

Hmm, tel that to the riders that walk away from crashes on the track.....

Quoted: I've had dirt and street bikes, three wheelers, and four wheelers off and on for the last 20 years, only ridden without a helmet maybe three times in my life. Helmets have saved my melon on a few occasions.  

You should see the bark marks on my offroad helmets.....  At 6'4", I tend to hit the branches most are able to ride right under.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He was riding a Suzuki Hayabusa.

I read that he lost most of his teeth, had a 9 inch cut to the back of his head, fractured his sinus cavity bone, broken jaw and severely injured both of his knees.

Career over.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As far as the helmet issue goes......for better or worse, he was exercising his personal freedom.  From everything I've heard, Big Ben has been not just a great player, but a good guy.  I hope he recovers quickly.

+1 I would love to see the Steelers go all the way again
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Part of the fascination with helmets & riders is states like Colorado which force all autommobile occupants to be belted in, but motorcycle riders need not wear helmets.

We need a steady supply of healthy young organs in the transplant stream.  Helmetless motorcycle riders are the volunteers that keep the supply going.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At higher speeds it doesn't matter what you're wearing, the low speed accidents are where a helmet provides the most protection from injury.

Hmm, tell that to the riders that walk away from crashes on the track.....

This is that "both sides overstate their point" thing I was talking about earlier. Most helmets won't adaquetly protect the rider's head when it suffers an impact over about 15 mph. When you crash on a track doing 120mph, your helmet is not impacting the ground at the same speed. You're going 120mph horizontally, not vertically. If the same rider sent his head straight into a wall at 120mph, it would kill him. In addition, it's much safer to wreck a motorcycle on the track than it is on a public road. There aren't any windshields to crash through...

Make no mistake about it, wearing a helmet is a good thing. I just wish people would back off a bit and really think about how reasonable their arguments for and against them are. The other side frequently brings up neck injuries, reduced visibility and hearing loss as well, though they too overstate the risk. At some point, it begins to sound like religious zealotry.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
one more victim of

"i'm 20-something, rich, famous and invincible because of it"

i'm pretty sure he could have afforded a helmet.

Hit the nail on the head there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to hijack this thread, but is Tommy Maddox still the Steeler's backup? He lives here locally, and as you can imagine, everyone was pretty jazzed watching his comeback. I woinder if he'll have to do that again?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But is his arm ok?

My friend's reaction: "this should help the Browns and Bengals" (he's a Browns fan)
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
That guy is a hero! It says so on the headline on FoxNews.com!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

checked and i don't see that headline anywhere
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread, but is Tommy Maddox still the Steeler's backup? He lives here locally, and as you can imagine, everyone was pretty jazzed watching his comeback. I woinder if he'll have to do that again?

charlie batch is the #2 man
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Wikipedia is already updated!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I heard career ending injury somewhere in the news today. Looks lie terry B. was right, ride it when you retire. He'll have lots & lots of time to ride now.

I was just called a FRIGGIN MORON by a guy with a Spongebob avatar, I can't wait to see how the rest of Monday turns out...
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy cow, both knees.  Career is definitely over.  I just hope he can lead a decent and normal life.  Forget football.  I am sure he has insurance and I hope his contract will pay.  But thats kind of iffy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car, a Chrysler New Yorker with Maine plates, made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist.

I didn't know that Kimo von Oelhoffen lived in Maine.

No no, he only injures BENGAL QB's with cheap shots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I read that he lost most of his teeth, had a 9 inch cut to the back of his head, fractured his sinus cavity bone, broken jaw and severely injured both of his knees.

Source?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

i believe i saw this also on CBS news' website
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Source?

Drudge links that description to this article: www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html, but the page won't load for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I meant specifically the knees--none of the articles I'm finding mention his knees.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag, damn this is terrible news.  I totally support his right to not wear the helmet, but also think its stupid too.  But that wouldn't have helped his knee's, now woudl it? *(if reports are accurate).

this just sucks.

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  just looking forward to he and the Steelers kicking the pussy, big mouth Bengals AGAIN!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I meant specifically the knees--none of the articles I'm finding mention his knees.

ESPN. com

"both knees are injured from striking the pavement."

Hell that could be cuts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just called a FRIGGIN MORON by a guy with a Spongebob avatar, I can't wait to see how the rest of Monday turns out...

the shoe fits you. 1/2 of Bens injuries were avoidable with a full face helmet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
IMHO, the whole helmet 'law' thing is BS. When I ride, do I wear a helmet? Yeah.. Should the state mandate that? Nope.

It's just like any other form of over-governing IMHO.
Yeah, folks who see helmetless riders can scoff, call them dumb, whatever, but it's ultimately their OWN decision, as it should be. Unless you live in a state which mandates it.

$.02

Since this is NOT a discussion about helmet laws, your $.02 worth is worthless.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:I was just called a FRIGGIN MORON by a guy with a Spongebob avatar, I can't wait to see how the rest of Monday turns out...

Look at it this way, at least SpongeBob in the avatar has a helmet on

Oh as a motorcycle rider myself you are a idjit for not wearing a helmet
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is that "both sides overstate their point" thing I was talking about earlier. Most helmets won't adaquetly protect the rider's head when it suffers an impact over about 15 mph. When you crash on a track doing 120mph, your helmet is not impacting the ground at the same speed. You're going 120mph horizontally, not vertically. If the same rider sent his head straight into a wall at 120mph, it would kill him. In addition, it's much safer to wreck a motorcycle on the track than it is on a public road. There aren't any windshields to crash through...

Make no mistake about it, wearing a helmet is a good thing. I just wish people would back off a bit and really think about how reasonable their arguments for and against them are. The other side frequently brings up neck injuries, reduced visibility and hearing loss as well, though they too overstate the risk. At some point, it begins to sound like religious zealotry.

I'll give you the above - good points about both sides.  However, I've seen too many helmets that have been ground down from sliding to think that a helmet only protects from impact.

As a mechanical engineer, dirt & street motorcycle rider and now a cop I have more than enough experience to confidently say that not wearing a helmet is pure stupidity.  Physics and statistics are a bad combination to bet against....

Brian
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give you the above - good points about both sides.  However, I've seen too many helmets that have been ground down from sliding to think that a helmet only protects from impact.

As a mechanical engineer, dirt & street motorcycle rider and now a cop I have more than enough experience to confidently say that not wearing a helmet is pure stupidity.  Physics and statistics are a bad combination to bet against....

Brian

Oh, I'm with you. When I dumped mine at 70mph wearing a full face, the only part of my body NOT fucked over from road rash was my head. The impact was nothing - it was the sliding and tumbling that did me in. OUCH!

I kinda look at it like this: If I KNEW that I was going to wreck (hypothetical situation, and I'm forced to do it), I'd want to be in all kevlar with a nice Arai or Shoei on my head. That sort of says something. I've always posed that scenario to friends who insist that a helmet and other bits of safety gear are mostly worthless.

"I want you to run this bike on the track as fast as you can. There's an invisible oil slick there, and you won't see it. You're probably going to wreck. Are you telling me that you will leave your helmet and leathers right here at me feet?" Any sane person would wear whatever they could get their hands on, if they KNEW they were going to wreck.

In the real world, we never really know so sometimes we take a chance. Sometimes we fare well, and sometimes we don't.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When you ride without a helmet you aren't a stud, you're an organ donor.

DING DING DING.... we have a winner.

I wear a helmet by choice ...After seeing fine examples of what happens when you don't...
I wounder if he'll get religon like Gary Busey...
Or better yet...Maybe he will saves lives with his healthy organs his brain don't need anymore...
No I'm not that much of an asshole....I hope he pulls through and learns
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#33]
while I don't wish harm on most everybody, I hope he recovers enough to play again. Now having said that....

SCREW ROTHLISBERGER...

GO SEAHAWKS....
<----------  WA!

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#34]
A helmet or a clown suit is not going to save your ass in a serious motorcycle accident, he knew the risks he was taking and it was his choice. So let it be, I do not want the Gov. or any one else making desisions for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ESPN. com

"both knees are injured from striking the pavement."

Hell that could be cuts.

People are talking about a broken leg, and torn acl in the forums on his website.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#36]
What a Putz.

You can exercise your personal freedom and still be a total fucking moron.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A helmet or a clown suit is not going to save your ass in a serious motorcycle accident, he knew the risks he was taking and it was his choice. So let it be, I do not want the Gov. or any one else making desisions for me.

Wrong answer, helmet's save lives all the time & leathers protect the riders body.

Look at the pictures of the car/windshield his face hit, want to bet he would be home right now if he would have been wearing a full face helmet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#38]
So why don't all you adopted nannys wear a full face helmet when you're driving your cars and trucks?  You know that a lot of car accidents result in head injuries that could be prevented with a helmet.  Why not strap one on for the drive to the store and notice what driving without peripheral vision is like.  Maybe put some ear plugs in too to get the whole helmet/safety experience.

Tell the smokers what they can do, tell the motorcycle riders what they can do, but you can't tell people which gun they can shoot!  

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But is his arm ok?

My friend's reaction: "this should help the Browns and Bengals" (he's a Browns fan)

He's wrong.  They still have to deal with the Ravens.

Seriously, career ending or not, I hope Ben recovers fully and can lead a normal life. He's always been a standup guy despite his celebrity.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Once more, the only ones bringing up the ".gov" are the ones wailing about it.  This is not a thread about helmet laws.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So why don't all you adopted nannys wear a full face helmet when you're driving your cars and trucks?  You know that a lot of car accidents result in head injuries that could be prevented with a helmet.  Why not strap one on for the drive to the store and notice what driving without peripheral vision is like.  Maybe put some ear plugs in too to get the whole helmet/safety experience.

Tell the smokers what they can do, tell the motorcycle riders what they can do, but you can't tell people which gun they can shoot!  

What's funnier is that wearing a helmet in the car is illegal in some states.

It's true, though. You'd be safer wearing a good helmet in the car. Nobody does, though. I guess they like increasing my inurance premiums. I mean, why should *I* have to pay for their avoidable head injuries?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
But is his arm ok?

He's wrong.  They still have to deal with the Ravens.

Seriously, career ending or not, I hope Ben recovers fully and can lead a normal life. He's always been a standup guy despite his celebrity.

And to me, he's a hometown boy (Findlay ain't far). I hope he makes it ok.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!  No one is pushing helmet laws in this thread.  No one is talking about telling others what to do.

Several have, me included, remarked that to not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle is stupid.  Big difference.

Yes, he was exercising his freedom.  We are also exercising our freedom by proclaiming him a moron.  Now, you gonna tell me what to do and tell me I can't say that?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#44]
"And the quarterback is TOAST"...  Damn look at the bike.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

checked and i don't see that headline anywhere

It said "Super Bowl Hero" in the headline about him crashing earlier when I looked.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMHO, the whole helmet 'law' thing is BS. When I ride, do I wear a helmet? Yeah.. Should the state mandate that? Nope.

It's just like any other form of over-governing IMHO.
Yeah, folks who see helmetless riders can scoff, call them dumb, whatever, but it's ultimately their OWN decision, as it should be. Unless you live in a state which mandates it.

$.02

Since this is NOT a discussion about helmet laws, your $.02 worth is worthless.

I'm sorry, my bad, I didn't add: "Hijack" to my reply..
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ!  No one is pushing helmet laws in this thread.  No one is talking about telling others what to do.

Several have, me included, remarked that to not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle is stupid.  Big difference.

Yes, he was exercising his freedom.  We are also exercising our freedom by proclaiming him a moron.  Now, you gonna tell me what to do and tell me I can't say that?

We bikers are a little uptight and quick to pull the trigger when it comes to helmet discussions. Bear with us.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

He's done. He won't play this year and his career is probably over.

Just as it was taking off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#49]
The 'tard would not think of hitting the field without a helmet, yet he thinks nothing of hitting the reoad without one.  Hope he never plays again, just as a lesson.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Unless he heals very quickly, a jaw and sinus cavity fracture would be enough to keep him out for most of the season.

Injury summary

Pittsburgh news link
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top