Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sherry was a waitress at the only joint in town.
View Quote

Sherry drove the pickup through the alley on the side
Where a lawman tackled Sonny and was reading him his rights
She stepped out in the alley with an A-R-fifteeeeen
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Brandon Jenkins but you watch your whore mouth talking down on REK like that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Listen to the REK Live at the Ryman CD, you'll be a fan before it's finished.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who the hell is REK, or the other guy for that matter? Are normal people supposed to know who these two guys are? The songs were decent, but OP make sit sound like these guys are the second coming or something.

Listen to the REK Live at the Ryman CD, you'll be a fan before it's finished.

This.

REK is the shit.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you do realize that Brandon Jenkins did this cover at a tribute concert to REK, right?  because basically Jenkins has REK to thank for the texas music scene as it exists today that allows him to make a living playing his music.   and that the album has been out for several years now?
View Quote

Cody Canada says the REK is more important to our music than Willie Nelson.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it embarrassing that I honestly know every word of ever REK song? Seen him countless times in concert. A friend of a friend knows him personally. I had him autograph the entire length of my arm when I was younger for my girlfriend who was a huge fan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you do realize that Brandon Jenkins did this cover at a tribute concert to REK, right?  because basically Jenkins has REK to thank for the texas music scene as it exists today that allows him to make a living playing his music.   and that the album has been out for several years now?

Yup. I like REK way more than Willie and I have been to Willie's house many times
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]
How the hell did Lyle Lovett (Keen's college roommate) ever marry Julia Roberts?

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That might be a strech

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yup. I like REK way more than Willie and I have been to Willie's house many times
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REK may have an occasional bad show, but if that's the case I've never seen it.

The one time I saw Willie he finally stumbled on stage 30 minutes late and sucked.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like Brandon Jenkins but you watch your whore mouth talking down on REK like that.
View Quote

LoL I ain't sayin' REK is bad. I'm saying Jenkins did a far better version of "What I really mean."  He did it perfect.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but that song is too good for a fast beat and horned instruments.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LoL I ain't sayin' REK is bad. I'm saying Jenkins did a far better version of "What I really mean."  He did it perfect.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but that song is too good for a fast beat and horned instruments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked his version, thanks for posting it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just fuckin with ya

I like em both. That whole album dedicated to REK was pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That might be a strech

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That might be a strech

Nah.  Willie is great, but old and washed up.  Wayyyyy past his time.  REK still has years to go.  

Reminds me of a DAC show a few years ago.  Dude is old and well past his sell by date.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That might be a strech

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be a strech

Canada really hit the scene around '97-98 in my area if I remember right, so he might have said it.  Before Cross Canadian Ragweed there was Jimmy Lafave, The Great Divide, Red Dirt Rangers and various other Bands/Singer Song Writers are long forgotten but were awesome. You have to remember in the early '90's their was another guy from OSU that dominated for years, Garth Brooks.

When Cross Canadian Ragweed was starting to get big in Amarillo you could pretty much take your pick of going to see Cross Canadian, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, and my personal favorite and back again Cooder Graw.

The last time I saw REK was at Funfest 2000 in Amarillo ironically Cooder Graw opened for him.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Canada really hit the scene around '97-98 in my area if I remember right, so he might have said it.  Before Cross Canadian Ragweed there was Jimmy Lafave, The Great Divide, Red Dirt Rangers and various other Bands/Singer Song Writers are long forgotten but were awesome. You have to remember in the early '90's their was another guy from OSU that dominated for years, Garth Brooks.

When Cross Canadian Ragweed was starting to get big in Amarillo you could pretty much take your pick of going to see Cross Canadian, Jason Boland and the Stragglers, and my personal favorite and back again Cooder Graw.

The last time I saw REK was at Funfest 2000 in Amarillo ironically Cooder Graw opened for him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be a strech

Love Cooder Graw.  Dirty Little Hometown Girl and Shotgun Wedding are in my regular rotation.  Same for Jason Boland.  His live version of Rich, Young Dumb Nymphomaniac cracks me up every time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Love 'em both.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
True but we adopted him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:Okay I'm being confusing I guess. I was talking about Chris Ledoux and others that kept Texas music going during the 80's and 90's.

yes, Keen wasn't the only one you're right.

Lets not forget about the one and only Jerry Jeff Walker too. That guy is a legend in Texas.
True but we adopted him.

Yep, originally from upstate,,,,, NY  gasp
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nah.  Willie is great, but old and washed up.  Wayyyyy past his time.  REK still has years to go.  

Reminds me of a DAC show a few years ago.  Dude is old and well past his sell by date.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be a strech

Saw Willie in '14 he didn't sing, just rapped everything. He can still play now, and his son Lucas was with him so it was basically a jam band show with very little singing. It was a disappointment compared to the last time I saw willie in 1982.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#30]
My favorite REK song has to be Snoras Death Row, although the front porch song off the live #2 is always a welcome cruising/party song. I thought Jenkins cover for the Undone album was great but the show stopper for me was Walt Wilkins doing Paint The Town Beige. Plus you know... Walt Wilkins.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My favorite REK song has to be Snoras Death Row, although the front porch song off the live #2 is always a welcome cruising/party song. I thought Jenkins cover for the Undone album was great but the show stopper for me was Walt Wilkins doing Paint The Town Beige. Plus you know... Walt Wilkins.
View Quote

First time I heard Sonora's Death Row was on an old Leo Kottke album from sometime in the 70s.  I love REK's version, as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#32]

Fuckin A.  Here it is.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Lately my new music obsession is Jason Isbell

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMsUQmS0Bo
View Quote

It's because you've been listening to the greatest writer alive today.  Isbell is in the writing groove right now that Dylan was when he was in Greenwich Village.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Honestly, how has nobody posted this one yet???  To me, this one is the best.  Partly because I lived in Levelland for a while, and no, my wagon did not loose a wheel, yes I did have ambition, but I do still wonder why I stopped there.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Location: Maryland.  Your ignorance of his music is understandable, just like I don't know dick about crabcakes.

REK is a Texas Country musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7L6egkbKTo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who the hell is REK, or the other guy for that matter? Are normal people supposed to know who these two guys are? The songs were decent, but OP make sit sound like these guys are the second coming or something.

Location: Maryland.  Your ignorance of his music is understandable, just like I don't know dick about crabcakes.

Geographic location has nothing to do with good taste in music. There are great bands/ musicians from all over the world. As I stated in my original comment, the songs are ok. The Front Porch Song sounds like he got the lyrics from a crazy old man in a nursing home and put it to a pretty good music track. I like the older country sound, but overall it's just meh.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMsUQmS0Bo
View Quote

That guy can write a song.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Geographic location has nothing to do with good taste in music. There are great bands/ musicians from all over the world. As I stated in my original comment, the songs are ok. The Front Porch Song sounds like he got the lyrics from a crazy old man in a nursing home and put it to a pretty good music track. I like the older country sound, but overall it's just meh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed my point, entirely.

Oh well.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top