User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Brand New John Deere LT166 in 1999, I believe is was around $3,500.00
It has a V-Twin 16hp, with a 42" deck. It has been the best riding lawnmower I have ever owned and with propper maintinence it will last a lifetime  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for SCAG here. Just shop around and compare, the way the scag is built, the ease of blade changes, the quality Torrington dual tapered roller bearings used, the deck thickness and design. I would go with a 61" model with at least 25hp if you will be cutting any Zoysia grass and must bag it, you need to go with the 35hp vanguard motor. We just bought a 61" Tiger with the water cooled 35hp and a bagger for doing about 3 acres of Zoysia and 4 acres of weeds. The 35hp with the bagger is just barely enough for cutting that grass of the devil. That grass would kill a snapper in two or three seasons. Unfortunately the price of this sucker is astronomical, 12.5k when it was all said and done.

www.scag.com/turftiger.html

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a quarter acre lot with most of the back yard taken up by a screened in pool enclosure and the driveway is a wide semicircular one.    Lots of planted areas in the yard, too.  I don't have much of a lawn.   But I ride a 42" Toro!

Walking behind even a self-propelled push mower for a single INCH simply SUCKS.   Never again!
CJ

Frankly I find it relaxing to walk behind my sp mower. What I do not like is the fact that it is front wheel drive. I can't complain though because it was free. My neighbor gave up on this year old Craftsman 6.5 HP walk behind after the throttle cable busted
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I picked up another Cub Cadet on the way home today.  A 2160 16hp v twin b&s 46" deck, low hours.  It was sitting in front of a guys house with a sign for $350.  I got it for 325, it runs great.  It needs new blades though.

killer deal
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every five to seven days year round here, trust me, most box store stuff is shot in about two years.  I guess buying a deck every second year is worth it to some but with other repairs it isn't worth it to most.

We joke that box store mowers are just an expensive way to move an otherwise good engine around the yard.

See, I still don't get it. What in the world is happening to a deck in two years forcing you to replace it? It's a stamped hunk of metal with some pulleys. For the life of me, I can't see why I would purchase another deck if something happened to it. As a matter of fact, I'm hard pressed to think of anything major that could go wrong with a mowing deck, forcing me to replace it. There's just nothing to them. I'm not trying to be combative, so please don't misunderstand me. I really want to know what goes wrong.

becuse it is stamped steel the vibration will eventually cause craks around the strut mounting points.  You can reweld it but if you are paying for the work it can get a little expensive....
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every five to seven days year round here, trust me, most box store stuff is shot in about two years.  I guess buying a deck every second year is worth it to some but with other repairs it isn't worth it to most.

We joke that box store mowers are just an expensive way to move an otherwise good engine around the yard.

See, I still don't get it. What in the world is happening to a deck in two years forcing you to replace it? It's a stamped hunk of metal with some pulleys. For the life of me, I can't see why I would purchase another deck if something happened to it. As a matter of fact, I'm hard pressed to think of anything major that could go wrong with a mowing deck, forcing me to replace it. There's just nothing to them. I'm not trying to be combative, so please don't misunderstand me. I really want to know what goes wrong.

becuse it is stamped steel the vibration will eventually cause craks around the strut mounting points.  You can reweld it but if you are paying for the work it can get a little expensive....

That's just it. I weld up my own stuff. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before someone posts the Tactical Lawn Mower thread....

I need to buy a new one.

John Deere?  Cub Cadet?  Toro?  Any others brands that are good or bad?

Kubota, damn expensive but you get what you pay for.

+1  Kubota builds great tractors.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Having spent a couple years working for an equipment dealer....
#1 you need a commercial mower. you will have more hours on your mower in a month than most homeowners do in a year.

Most Landscapers used Zero Turn Walk behind mowers. This also includes the local colleges and a couple school districs. They are easyer to use on smaller lawns. Also make sure to get a Hydro.

Most landcapers use this one for smaller lawns: Hustler

For large areas: Kubota Z or F series.

Niether is cheap but they are both the best at what they do IMO.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#10]
My Craftsman 42" 21HP V-twin does just fine for me and only cost $1200.

It gets hard duty on our acreage and holds up well.

I'm just too cheap to spend more than that on a lawn mower.

All my neighbors have John Deere tractors and they seem very nice though.

The only complaint I have is the lights are weak for night mowing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW!

Lots of great info here.  I'll admit the SCAG's look sweet and tempting but my contract (1st contract) is for mowing my own companies lawn.  The price tag to do it is about $3,000 and I was hoping that cash would pay for the mower and a trailer.  So unfortunately I think I'm limited by cost.   My intent was to have one account pay for the equipment in the 06 season, then have another account, maybe two tops to bring in cold hard cash.

However, given the nominal size of my commercial property - I was thinking I could do it in a couple hours with a 42" mower deck.  Maybe larger if the price was right.  That said, I wanted to do this to bring in some spare cash under the table and be done with the whole shabang by early afternoon on a Saturday - including my own lawn!

If it grew from that, I'd probably bring a friend or someone on board to help me shave the workload.  I can also use my work knowledge and as a potential 2nd motive....offer up driveway grading, landscaping, and general earthwork.

Basically a kick around side gig to bring in some spending cash.  Lots of great info here, thanks fellas, keep it coming!

psst....I wouldn't mind seeing a tactical lawn mower or two if there's some pics out there!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sitting here watching a movie about an old guy that traveled 300 miles on a lawn tractor.  

Actually it was 240 miles on a 1966 John Deere.

Still amazing though:

Alvin Straight
Folk hero
1921-1996

Alvin Straight lived quietly until he went on an unusual journey that put him in the spotlight. The Laurens resident took a 240-mile road trip -on a lawn mower.

At 73, Straight wanted to see his brother, Henry, whom he hadn't spoken to for almost a decade. The 80-year-old brother was ill in Wisconsin after suffering a stroke.

Straight didn't trust public transportation and could not drive a car because he had limited vision and no driver's license. So he decided to drive a 1966 John Deere mower to Wisconsin.

On July 5, 1994, he loaded a 10-foot trailer with gasoline, food, clothes and camping equipment. He hitched it to the mower and started out from Laurens. The mower's top speed was 5 mph, and the trip along back roads took nearly six weeks. Straight endured rainy weather and breakdowns. The odyssey made headlines.

Straight didn't like finding himself the object of attention. He turned down appearances on David Letterman's "Late Show" and "Tonight" with Jay Leno.

Filmmaker David Lynch turned the mower incident into an acclaimed movie, "The Straight Story," which was filmed in Laurens, Clermont, West Bend and Lansing. The movie starred Richard Farnsworth, 78, as Straight and Sissy Spacek as his daughter. The Iowa premiere was held in 1999 at Pocahontas' Rialto Theater.

Straight, who was born in Scobey, Mont., and his wife, Frances, brought their family to Iowa in 1973, settling first at Lake View. Straight worked as a general laborer. He was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War. He was the father of five sons and two daughters.

"The lawn mower man" died of a heart ailment. His funeral procession to the Ida Grove Cemetery was accompanied by a mower similar to the one he had used on his trip.

An actor portrays Alvin Straight in the Film about his life.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a John Deere Walk-Behind-All-Power-to-the-Wheels and work off that fat ass. Anyone who rides is either (1) lazy or (2) has more land than an American should be allowed to own.

Flame on, you lard asses!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get a John Deere Walk-Behind-All-Power-to-the-Wheels and work off that fat ass. Anyone who rides is either (1) lazy or (2) has more land than an American should be allowed to own.

Flame on, you lard asses!

+1000
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

<snip>

Go with a Dixie Chopper (about the best you can get)

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for SCAG.

When my dad and I had our lawn buisness he owned a SCAG Tiger Cub I think, great mower and fast too.

Never gave us any really bad problems, it would occasionally thow the belt that turns the blades. But that was only when we tried to cut though really tall grass with the deck low, and even then that wasn't hard to fix, I had to do it a couple of times by myself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I mow several lacrosse fields and my own lawn.  I have no complaints about Grasshopper Mowers.  I have a 220 mid mount and my father has the 727.  Great machines.  The 727 has a a snow blower (works GREAT!) and a Model 25 vacuum system.  I've also used X Marks in the past.  They seem like a good quality mower too.

ETA pictures  -  Our mowers do not have the roll over protection on them  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Correct on the front axles.  The decks are paper thin, they turn to Swiss Cheese by sand wear and rust. Spindles wear out so now you are looking at a new deck.

I understand your position, and I have a brother in law that can get years out of anything he buys, but believe me, two years and then they get expensive to own here in Florida.  The cheap variable speed stuff usually goes bad too.  Buy a pair of belts and pay our shop $65.00 an hour to install.

Now, I see what's going on. Folks actually pay $65.00/hr to have their lawn tractor serviced. That can add up quick. I don't do that. I don't even take my new cars to somebody else, much less a simple lawn tractor.

Axles are cheap. If a deck gets a hole, I can weld it up for the cost of wire and some spray paint. The hydrostatic transmissions are extremely simple, and can be repaired my most anyone who is reasonably intelligent.

I think I understand where you're coming from, and I suppose I'm unique when it comes to maintaining my equipment. I see my lawn tractor as a tool - nothing more. It needs sharp blades that spin fast enough to cut grass cleanly. That's it. When something fails, I take care of it (it really is cheap) and move on. I paid around $700 for my last one. The parts that can break are extremely inexpensive, and many can be fabricated in my shop. It would take ALOT of parts to equal even half my purchase price (other than a motor failure).

I'm beginning to think I'm the exception, here. It just isn't expensive at ALL to fix mine. I would never buy a new deck and pay somebody to install it - I'd fix the deck I already have. Am I the only guy on the planet who fabricates parts for his equipment?

That's fine,but in a business,TIME=MONEY.
Nobody wants to be foling around patching up crap every other day.
We've got some low buck junk at work and it's just that-JUNK.
Snappers,Statesman-there basically disposable.Decks are so thin we're always patching them up.Adding plates when the spindles let go so many times that there's nothing left to bolt or weld to.Stress cracks all over the place.Plus the front axles are junk.Junk all around.

We have some old Gravelys (front deck andriders) that just keep going and going.
Zero turn is THE way to go if you're doing it as a business.Again,time is money.both mowing time and down time.

I'm also a get it for free and fix it myself type.At home.Not when it's business.
My current fleet?
Early 80's Gravely rider,ancient Gravely 30" round deck with sulky,mid 50's Ford 640,and Kubota L4200. Tractor with a 6' finish mower will get it done IF it's wide open.My brother just picked up,for free,a 72" ZTM with a grenaded 18 hp B&S.Once I talk him out of it,I use that near the tight spots.

At the least,have a spare machine and belts,spindles,blades,etc
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Ferris is the answer, not cheap by any stretch but she'll do my 4 acres in 1 hour

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ferris is the answer, not cheap by any stretch but she'll do my 4 acres in 1 hour

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/Willllburrrr220/IMG_0379.jpg

Do I need a pilots licsence to operate it?

That thing is a beast.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I need someone to sell me a SCAG and trailer for under $3000....

Begin the bidding......NOW
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When it comes to JD, there are two levels... the Home Depot level, which I almost don't like to call a John Deere (it's the one you see at all the "trendy" homes in the plastic mansion neighborhoods), and the REAL JDs like you see at the actual John Deere dealership. My Dad bought one of the "real" ones a few years back, and it was over $8000. Very nice, but too rich for my blood.

All I needed for myself was a lawn mower. After doing some comparisons, I ended up with a Cub Cadet. Mine is on the same level as the Home Depot JD, but I liked it better. CC also has a high-end line. Again, $8000 for a lawn mower seemed a bit extreme for my purposes.

images14.fotki.com/v167/photos/2/262472/941685/NM2jpeg-vi.jpg

images9.fotki.com/v175/photos/2/262472/941685/NM4jpeg-vi.jpg

I picked mine up at Tractor Supply. Check the CC website for specs. The last time I looked they had quite a good model/feature comparison.

Cub Cadet is the one to get.

However, the same JD at Home Depot, and now Lowes, is also sold at JD stores.

This is the sweetest ride...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I need someone to sell me a SCAG and trailer for under $3000....

Begin the bidding......NOW

Good choice and good luck finding one that wasn't beat to death. Most people who own them are landscapers and generally don't get rid of them till theres nothing much left.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's fine,but in a business,TIME=MONEY.
Nobody wants to be foling around patching up crap every other day.
We've got some low buck junk at work and it's just that-JUNK.
Snappers,Statesman-there basically disposable.Decks are so thin we're always patching them up.Adding plates when the spindles let go so many times that there's nothing left to bolt or weld to.Stress cracks all over the place.Plus the front axles are junk.Junk all around.

We have some old Gravelys (front deck andriders) that just keep going and going.
Zero turn is THE way to go if you're doing it as a business.Again,time is money.both mowing time and down time.

I'm also a get it for free and fix it myself type.At home.Not when it's business.
My current fleet?
Early 80's Gravely rider,ancient Gravely 30" round deck with sulky,mid 50's Ford 640,and Kubota L4200. Tractor with a 6' finish mower will get it done IF it's wide open.My brother just picked up,for free,a 72" ZTM with a grenaded 18 hp B&S.Once I talk him out of it,I use that near the tight spots.

At the least,have a spare machine and belts,spindles,blades,etc

Exactly. You'll note from an early reply of mine in this thread that I was coming at this from a homeowner's position. Commercial needs are a different animal - they lose money when their equipment is down. I lose a couple hours on a weekend. I'm mostly addressing the guy who feels that he NEEDS an $8000 tractor to mow his 3 acres at home. If they've got that kind of scratch, then by all means...

...I'm just pointing out that a guy can do quite well for less than $1000 bucks, provided he can fix things. I don't like fixing broken stuff on the weekends any more than the next guy, but I hate spending thousands of dollars to avoid this even more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, what you should choose all depends opn what you plan to do with it.

some demand a bit more from their Lawn Tractors...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yep, what you should choose all depends opn what you plan to do with it.

some demand a bit more from their Lawn Tractors...

i2.tinypic.com/sxgos8.jpg

Does that tractor come with the gay cowboy or is he optional?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Must be the Brokeback Lawnmower edition!

I'd also recommend going with a commercial model if yuo plan to do commercial work.  Even if you like to fix mowers, having one break down on the job is going to cost you in more than one way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
HERE SHE IS!  I pick her up Saturday.

Cub Cadet LT1050 & trailer to tow it around...perfect for a few commercial mows & my own yard!

23 HP* Kohler® Courage™ V-Twin OHV engine for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride.
Full-pressure lubrication w/spin-on oil filter. Easy access makes routine maintenance quick and easy.
Hydrostatic transmission w/cruise control provides durable, reliable power and a smoother ride.
50" QuickAttach™ deck.
Exclusive Smart Jet™ Deck Wash System. High pressure water cleans out grass and debris build-up under the deck.
RevTEK™ Reverse Mowing Technology allows mowing in forward or reverse until the operator leaves the tractor seat, turns the key back to normal or turns off engine.
Electric PTO for smoother deck engagement.
* as rated by engine manufacturer
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Just bought a left over 2005 LT160 John Deere and love it. Wanted a Zero Radius turn version but tooooo much $.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#31]
You think it would cut a 4 acre lot on a regular basis? I'm needing something myself...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You think it would cut a 4 acre lot on a regular basis? I'm needing something myself...

If you are asking about my LT160, I think it would do a fine job. My yard is 1.2 acres and I can do it in around 1 hr., but the lot is irregular in shape and terrain.

Paid $2100 for it. You get what you pay for though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'd get the 54" mower deck but yeah, it'll do it just fine!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Cub Cadet LT1050 & trailer to tow it around...perfect for a few commercial mows & my own yard!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Hokie1850/13AP11CP710_prod_lg.jpg
23 HP* Kohler® Courage™ V-Twin OHV engine for longer engine life, quieter operation and better ride.
Full-pressure lubrication w/spin-on oil filter. Easy access makes routine maintenance quick and easy.
Hydrostatic transmission w/cruise control provides durable, reliable power and a smoother ride.
50" QuickAttach™ deck.
Exclusive Smart Jet™ Deck Wash System. High pressure water cleans out grass and debris build-up under the deck.
RevTEK™ Reverse Mowing Technology allows mowing in forward or reverse until the operator leaves the tractor seat, turns the key back to normal or turns off engine.

What's the top speed, and how fast does it get to it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It goes from "turtle" to "rabbit"....

Specs say it goes from -2.3 (reverse) up to 5.2 (forward).

Once I accessorize with a bunch of stuff and parkerize it - it'll do 55-65mph with ease!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once I accessorize with a bunch of stuff and parkerize it - it'll do 55-65mph with ease!

Needs spinners, or at least the rims painted silver. Some "Type R" stickers wouldn't hurt either.......

Unless you want to go with the off-road look, then it needs 6 KC lights.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs spinners, or at least the rims painted silver. Some "Type R" stickers wouldn't hurt either.......

Unless you want to go with the off-road look, then it needs 6 KC lights.

Since I'm a Mainer, I was also thinking about some deer antlers attached to the front
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

50" QuickAttach™ deck.

I really think you will like the OHV V-twin with pressure oil. I have a Briggs & Stratton 21 HP OHV V-twin in mine and it is a great engine.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I think you made a wise choice. I'm still running the Cub Cadet my Grandad bought new, she was number 8 off the assembly line in 1968.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well my scag, which is $7500 more expensive, will cut at 12mph

Anyhow, good buy I hope it works out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well my scag, which is $7500 more expensive, will cut at 12mph

Anyhow, good buy I hope it works out.

lol...man....a 12mph machine with spinning blades....heck I'd somehow hurt myself on that I know it!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

50" QuickAttach™ deck.

"Fix the lighter."
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

50" QuickAttach™ deck.

"Fix the lighter."

So, is it the new grassmobile, or what?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#44]
It's not Green
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top