Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the checkout at Kohls wanted my SSN.

Were you opening a charge card?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That LifeLock guy is an NRA member and had a booth at the annual meeting/show in Louisville.

LifeLock guy is an idiot that had his identity stolen at least 20 times.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That LifeLock guy is an NRA member and had a booth at the annual meeting/show in Louisville.

Yea, they advertise in American Rifleman.

So? it's still a scam.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
867-5309

I've actually had a girl give me that number once.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1060 W Addison
Chicago IL 60613

It never gets old

+87

Excellent movie!

-Out
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I have not read the entire thread, but someone might have said this.
I worked for a few years at a large grocery store where once a year we were required to get phone numbers in a survey.

The reason that phone numbers are chosen over zip codes is that phone numbers point to a direct customer and house, and that way a specific profile can be created of exact neighborhoods. Zip codes can only be traced to a very large area.

On the practical terms you can have multiple neighborhoods in one zip code, and the task is to find out why some neighborhoods are shopping at your store and not others. Does another store need to be built so that customers can get to the store easier and closer? Do more promotions need to be enacted?

Zip codes don't tell all of the story.

Oh, and BTW we never once sold a number or called it. No additional junk mail either. Stores don't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
They do that shit at Lowe's now.. thay ask for a phone number ... in case you "need to return it."
fuck off, I have a receipt.

sure.. lemme give you social security number too... fucking tards don't even know that the information is sent ti pakistan and india for data entry- same with your tax info, medical info etc....

We're just training people to regurgitate their info without thinking....
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I give them my zip, but usually make up a phone number.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish more would ask for my zip code so that they would build stores closer to where I live.  Tractor Supply for instance.  I'm sick of driving 60 miles round trip for farm stuff.

Any other info, pound sand.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Area code plus 555-1212. I've had several of the retards tell me what a cool number that is to have.

that's the number for everything!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
"No Thanks" and a smile usually does the trick.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zip code is mostly for seeing where your customer base is from. Say your store is in zip code 12345 and you get a ton of customers from zip code 12346 which is ten miiles away, you might want to look at the possibility of opening a location in that area.

Then pay for market research like a normal person.  Quit passing the work to the customer.  You want information from me to help you make money, pay me for it.  Otherwise fuck off.  

I like that attitude!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was asked for my home phone last week.  I said "6-6-6... oh wait I forget the rest."

That actually IS my prefix..... 661/662/666

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I think Radio Shack pioneered this shit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate that bullshit.

I also hate the "Do you have a piggly-wiggly card" everytime I stop at some po-dunk grocery store to buy beer.

What the fuck.  I need to have a fucking card, password, and line of credit for every fucking place I ever buy a damn soft-drink now or what?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
No problem giving a zip code, but that is it. Toys R us is the first place I ever ran into them asking for information.
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#19]
When asked for a phone number I tell the clerks in a very serious tone, "Telephones are the work of the devil!"  I keep a straight face and it usually throws them off.  It seems to really disturb the third world cashiers.    
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LifeLock guy is an idiot that had his identity stolen at least 20 times.

Isn't he also a convicted felon for ID theft or something like that?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
While I don't give out much other personal info, it's good to give your ZIP sometimes.  If you're shopping somewhere that doesn't have a store within 100 miles of your home, then you're telling them that people from your area shop there and it might be a good idea to put a store there.

you gotta figure they get 95%+ of zip codes of where the store is.  But they get a lot from where they don't have a presence, they might think about it.

The other stuff they don't get.  Used to be they could pull from checks, if they felt so inclined, now very few checks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I tell them to **** off!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When asked for a phone number I tell the clerks in a very serious tone, "Telephones are the work of the devil!"  I keep a straight face and it usually throws them off.  It seems to really disturb the third world cashiers.    

I'm soooo using that one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to argue with them ('you don't need that information') now I just make shit up. Much faster and serves their marketing department right for being meddling nosey busybodies. I bought your crap, be happy with that. I don't want your junk mail to buy more.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Either "No" or "63874" for the zip code.

Middle of fucking nowhere.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think Radio Shack pioneered this shit.

Yep. I once had some clerk get almost white with anger over not giving my info. She wound up nearly having a breakdown and calling the manager.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I always tell them no thanks and some of them actually give me a dirty look when I say no.

If they are particularly obnoxious about it I ask them for their home phone number.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Got asked for my phone number the other day I gave them 867-5309...the clerk didnt even blink at it but everyone else in line got a laugh at it.

Now that I read the whole thread I see I'm not the 1st to use this trick.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zip code is mostly for seeing where your customer base is from. Say your store is in zip code 12345 and you get a ton of customers from zip code 12346 which is ten miiles away, you might want to look at the possibility of opening a location in that area.

Then pay for market research like a normal person.  Quit passing the work to the customer.  You want information from me to help you make money, pay me for it.  Otherwise fuck off.  

Your gonna pay for it one way or another.  If they can't get voluntary market research, if they really want it, then they will have to pay for it..  Probably raise prices to pay for the research.

So, what does it hurt you to say 5 digits that don't identify you.  Maybe they'll open another store closer to you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I hate that bullshit.

I also hate the "Do you have a piggly-wiggly card" everytime I stop at some po-dunk grocery store to buy beer.

What the fuck.  I need to have a fucking card, password, and line of credit for every fucking place I ever buy a damn soft-drink now or what?

The "card" thing pisses me off FAR more then asking for my zipcode.

Every single fucking grocery store in this area went to a "card" to get sale pricing all at once.  Absolute fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Got asked for my phone number the other day I gave them 867-5309...the clerk didnt even blink at it but everyone else in line got a laugh at it.

Now that I read the whole thread I see I'm not the 1st to use this trick.

634-5789, that's my number.  634-5789.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#32]
My zip code is always "12345"

Like robots they just enter the data.

GM
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I let them know I'd be glad to tell them for $10.  They're not a charity and neither am I.

DN
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#34]
my standard answers are

1 800 234 5555

beverly hills 90210

It's funy to watch their reaction, IF they get it.

G/F usualy gives me a jab in the ribs and a WTF? look

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I hate the card thing too.  They claim they don't track individual purchases.  BULLFEATHERS!

If you don't track individul purchases why do I have to sign up for the card and give all my personal information?  Just give me the dang card without my information!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top