Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Any Garth Brooks. Doug McCormick from South Carolina, google him you can get his CD for cheap, or listen to some of his music on his website or his myspace.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]
HANK III! FTW!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
as good as he is you prob wouldnt like hank sr., he is twangy and sings about stuff you dont want to hear (but once you get turned onto country you will enjoy him because of what he means to country) you might like some of Hank jr. though, and someone mentioned Hank III who i havent really heard but do know that he is even more rock and prob up your alley.

my sugestion would be to go for more southern rock such as skynyrd, charlie daniels band, and montgomery gentry. montgomery gentry is new but they are good and can rock it. (listen to Hillbilly Shoes, what do ya think about that, and hell yeah.) also you might like keith anderson (pickin wild flowers, and three chord country)

what turned me onto country was right after 9-11 they were the only ones singing about getting up and fighting, and toby keith is the first one i listened to w/ Courtesy The Red White and Blue. Keith is good, Trace adkins also has a good song about Arlington (very sobering)

if you need more suggestions on patriotic, southern rock, or anything else send me a message and i could just give you a bunch of artist names

also, look up Cpl. Joshua Belile online. The guy was/is a marine who caught alot of flack for a song he made up but its pretty good if you ask me (i downloaded it for free just off the internet)
Hadji Girl Song

Dirka Dirka Mohamed jihad...... One of my favorites!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

Since I know you're into metal too...his other band Assjack, is releasing their first metal album in August
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]

One of the best ways to see what you like is just general listening. AOL Radio actually has some very good country choices from new to old.

AOL Radio

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jason Boland & The Stragglers!  You may also like Roger Creager, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, and a litany of other bands that come out of the Texas Country/Red Dirt scene.  Fuck Nashville.

QFT

Robert Earl Keen
Jackson Taylor
Jarrod Birmingham
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Max Stalling
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Bart Crow
Django Walker
Dale Watson
Kevin Fowler
Mark McKinney
Reckless Kelly
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
can't go wrong with george straight or dwight yoakum
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
New or Old?

either or

I'd prefer new

Ive been a Cash fan for years, but that's as country as I got, with the exception of the songs everyone knows.

If you like Cash give Dale Watson a listen. Check out his song, Justice for all. There is also a video for it.

http://www.dalewatson.com/
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Hank Williams, Jr. - A Country Boy Can Survive
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good country music is an oxymoron....

My guess is you know dick about country music.

There's a lot of good new country, it's just coming out of Texas instead of Nashville. Check the Texas Music chart for good stuff.

Good guess. I don't know dick about country music because I can't stand it. I gave it an honest try when my ex tried to get me into it. Aside from the basic 6 chord format, they also almost always have terrible lyrics. I turned on the radio and put it on a country station a few months ago when a few of my buddies and I were on the way back from a weekend trip, we started laughing about a song that was talking about a pickup truck. Then the next song mentioned a pickup truck. We laughed and turned it off. No doubt the next song was about a pickup truck. In the same way rappers talk about drugs, egos, and loose women, country singers talk about pickup trucks, small towns and drinking. Neither strike me as genius lyrics. There are no "Bob Dylan"s or "Aaron Weiss"s of country music. The closest would be Cash but they don't make any like him anymore

You've obviously never listened to Billy Joe Shaver. IMHO Billy Joe is the greatest song writer thats ever lived. From Corsicana , Texas

Billy Joe Shaver - Georgia On A Fast Train
Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever
Billy Joe Shaver - Willy the Wandering Gypsy and Me

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

Since I know you're into metal too...his other band Assjack, is releasing their first metal album in August

Thanks! I'm gonna be all over it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Unknown Hinson!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

Thanks! I'm gonna be all over it.

You betcha....he's playing in Philly on 6/27 with both band @ the Theatre for Living Arts
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no good country music.
/thread.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#15]
RYAN BINGHAM - MESCALITO

Trust me on this, this CD will not leave your player for a long, long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7H_KpispY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmXdWOG0dTw&feature=channel
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
John Anderson, Alan Jackson circa early to mid 90's.

In March of 1992 I became a "country music convert."   I was on vacation with 2 friends that listened to Country Music the whole trip (presumably to annoy me) but the joke was on them when I discovered some songs that I really liked and that turned me onto Country forever.  

The 2 songs that were in heavy rotation on the radio at that time (and will forever be remembered by me as the 2 songs that turned me into a coutry music fan) were Alan Jackson:  "Dallas," and John Anderson: "Straight Tequila Night."

Upon returning home, I borrowed some of my mom's country music Tapes (yes, tapes).  Garth Brooks, "Ropin the Wind" and "No Fences."
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I think Big & Rich is hilarious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Get Sirius satellite.available in small shit towns everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]
OP, you can also plug in a bunch of these artists on Pandora.com and it will start throwing new music at you. You can thumbs up or thumbs down the songs it plays and it will very quickly throw about 95% great music based entirely on your preferences.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Eric Church.
Good, no Great Stuff

How 'bout you?

Guys Like Me

Sinners Like Me

Willie

FTMFW!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#21]

IM just sayin
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hank III & Wayne Hancock would be good places to start for newer stuff.

Hank Sr, Cash, Haggard, CDB, Jennings for more of a classic feel.

THIS...+ old Bluegrass...Jimmy Martin, Del McCoury, Bill Monroe.

Pop cuntry makes me want to puke.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out The King Bucks

http://www.myspace.com/thekingbucks

I think they are on Itunes as well.  They write awesome songs, and cover Buck Owens, Merle Hagard, and a bunch of old school others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
A little more like southern rock, but the Drive By Truckers are pretty damn good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CyNabyA4lA
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hank III & Wayne Hancock would be good places to start for newer stuff.

Hank Sr, Cash, Haggard, CDB, Jennings for more of a classic feel.

THIS...+ old Bluegrass...Jimmy Martin, Del McCoury, Bill Monroe.

Pop cuntry makes me want to puke.

Well you know what the man says...

"But if you know what I'm thinking, you'll know that Pop country really sucks!"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Roger Creager FTW
Kevin Fowler
Cory Morrow
Jack Ingram
Pat Green
Charlie Robison
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Pat Green

Bot no CD's after the shark-jumping Cannonball. Try "Here We Go".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
People are crazy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrogegV1lw

Where I'm from..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ytq9LzN-I
Then for the scenery:

Best days of your life (Watch in HQ
)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd7l7_D0y-k

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jason Boland & The Stragglers!  You may also like Roger Creager, Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers Band, and a litany of other bands that come out of the Texas Country/Red Dirt scene.  Fuck Nashville.

Adam Carroll, too.

And don't forget Jerry Jeff Walker and Robert Earl Keene

Absolutely! Listen to these men, as they clearly have excellent taste in music.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Adam Carroll, too.

And don't forget Jerry Jeff Walker and Robert Earl Keene

Absolutely! Listen to these men, as they clearly have excellent taste in music.

I approve this message. Fuck Nashville/CMTville.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

How is this the first if they have been selling Assjack at shows for years and years?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eric Church.
Good, no Great Stuff

How 'bout you?

Guys Like Me

Sinners Like Me

Willie

FTMFW!

And he puts on a hellova live show
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Good country?  Isnt that kind of like a conservative Democrat?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good country music is an oxymoron....

+11ty billion.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Big plus 1.

Jason Allen and older Corry Morrow albums (The Cory Morrow Band, Texas Time Travelin', The Man That I Have Been, Full Exposure).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

How is this the first if they have been selling Assjack at shows for years and years?

Did not know this...BADASS. Is it going to be on Curb?

The Assjack CD's are bootlegs with III's hand drawn artwork...no label.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#38]
That is impossible, as there is no such thing as good country music.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#39]
http://www.countrylegends921.com/  Some music played is great, other is...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I like the following, whether the traditionalists consider it country music or not

Dierks Bentley
Eli Young Band
Kenny Chesney
Jason Aldean
Eric Church
Emerson Drive

and of course George Strait

there are others but that is all I can think of off the top of my head
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#41]
As other people have mentioned, you can't go wrong with Texas country/Red Dirt. It's all pretty much singer/songwriter types. More heart & soul if you ask me. To throw out a few other names:
Brandon Jenkins
Mike McClure
Austin Cunningham - his new song is called Guns & Religion listen to it on iTunes
Brandon Rhyder
Casey Donahue
Johnny Cooper
Mark David Manders
Trent Summars and the new row mob
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HANK III! FTW!

Did not know this...BADASS. Is it going to be on Curb?

The Assjack CD's are bootlegs with III's hand drawn artwork...no label.

Well, first official real label release anyway.

Yup, on Curb...
http://www.hank3.com/news.htm
::: June 02 :::

Great news!

Hank III and Curb Records will be releasing the long awaited Assjack material in both CD and Vinyl formats on 8/04/09.

Track list for the upcoming release:

Tennessee Driver / Wasting Away / Choking Gesture / Gravel Pit
Cut Throat / Smoke the Fire / Cocaine the White Devil
Redneck Ride / No Regrets / Doin' What I Want

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Jerry Reid, ALL OF THE HANKS, Randy Travis, Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, some of Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Josh Turner, Alabama, Waylon Jennings, Brooks and Dunn, Garth Brooks, David Allen Coe, Charle Daniels Band, and sooo many more to list.  

I do agree about the newer music on the radio, (TIm McGraw is the biggest pussy/sellout ever) you really have to sift through it to find something descent and of course once you do they play the crap out of it till you can't stand it anymore.  Stick with the guys that started this genre and moved it along through the years and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As other people have mentioned, you can't go wrong with Texas country/Red Dirt. It's all pretty much singer/songwriter types. More heart & soul if you ask me. To throw out a few other names:
Brandon Jenkins
Mike McClure
Austin Cunningham - his new song is called Guns & Religion listen to it on iTunes
Brandon Rhyder
Casey Donahue
Johnny Cooper
Mark David Manders
Trent Summars and the new row mob

You can NOT make a Texas country list without Wayne Hancock's name atop it. Shame. Hell, I've never even heard of anyone you named.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
New or Old?

either or

I'd prefer new

Ive been a Cash fan for years, but that's as country as I got, with the exception of the songs everyone knows.

New artist with old flavor - Jamie Johnson

+1,000,000

He is the only newer country singer that is worth a shit.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Get an acoustic;play your own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#47]
What? No Deraillers?

I agree with the rockabilly suggestion. A good fusion of rock and country. Psychobilly for more rock than country.

Look into alt-country as a genre as well. I believe Hank III falls into that category.

All the old school stuff mentioned is a great start.

The new pop country stuff from Nashville isn't country. It's like calling Air Supply a rock band.

*ducks rocks from Air Supply fans*
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#48]
I havent these guys posted...

TRAILOR CHOIR

Check out the song "Rockin the beer gut"  funny as hello. the the girl in the band is smokin!!!

Trailor Choir
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What? No Deraillers?

I agree with the rockabilly suggestion. A good fusion of rock and country. Psychobilly for more rock than country.

Look into alt-country as a genre as well. I believe Hank III falls into that category.

All the old school stuff mentioned is a great start.

The new pop country stuff from Nashville isn't country. It's like calling Air Supply a rock band.

*ducks rocks from Air Supply fans*

Rockabilly is where it's at actually.....best of both worlds.

Early Cash
Carl Perkins
Johhny Burnette Trio
Early Elvis
The Killer
Eddie Cochran

If psychobilly is your thing...OTMAPP
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Ronnie Milsap,
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top