Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife goes to the discount outlet mall to buy "blemished" LeCreuset cookware, when they have some huge sale.

So we have stuff like $400 LeCreuset pots (with some tiny almost invisible "blemish" on the lid or something), that she paid $60 for.

They are awesome pots, and we will probably use them forever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man people love spending redicilous amounts of money here. Go with Calphalon with pots and pans. They just made a dishwasher safe version of their contemporary line which is awesome. Buy a cast iron because everyone needs one and get a few Wusthof or Henckels knives.

My wife goes to the discount outlet mall to buy "blemished" LeCreuset cookware, when they have some huge sale.

So we have stuff like $400 LeCreuset pots (with some tiny almost invisible "blemish" on the lid or something), that she paid $60 for.

They are awesome pots, and we will probably use them forever.
I've got one of those from TJ Maxx.  Can't find the blem either.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
A few things I've learned:

Knives - Best to buy one or two really good ones, and let the rest be cheap. My 6" chef is the one I reach for most often, followed by an 8" Santouki. I use other stuff for butchering and BBQ that's more commercial-grade (Dexter Russel), but doesn't really look good in the kitchen.

Pots - Calphalon, Al-clad, etc. are all good. Again, focus on the couple of them you know you'll use. Also be very careful not to use metal utensils, on your non-stick stuff. Here in Texas, our local grocer (HEB) sells All-Clad pots that have been re-branded with their name. And I can get these for less than 50% of what I'd pay for comparable Al-Clad, when they go on sale.

Pots #2 - If you think you may ever go induction, do use a magnet. I thought I never would, and now have a huge Al-Clad set that's now worthless to me. I had to go induction, since my house only has electric... as many around me do. And induction kicks other electric's ass, though it's a wash vs gas, better at some things (lighting fast boils), and worse at others (still prefer gas for low-saute).

But the general theme is, if you're starting out, focus on a couple very good pieces. You'll gradually be replacing stuff anyhow, and I'm guessing there will be one knife you use 50% of the time, and probably two pots you use 60% of the time. Buy good versions of those.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Knives: henckels, wusthof, and shun.
View Quote

I love mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Most food forums recommend you mix and match what pot and pans to get.  A carbon steel 12 inch skillet works similarly to cast iron but is lighter and it's always nice to have a larger skillet.  I use this for high heat cooking like searing steaks and veggies.  Bacon and eggs also go here.  Good ones range from $40-$90 dollars.  I went with the welded handle model for ease of cleaning.  There are several french brands and one american that are all usually highly rated.  (I can't remember the names/spelling but Mauviel, duBeyers, Mafret, Vollrath.  I'm sure someone here will correct me)

Next you'll need a 2 and 4 quart pots for cooking soups and such.  Unless your doing technical cooking just get stainless steel, no need for copper or copper core.  All Clad is the best but insanely expensive.  Caphlon and the better model Cruisinart are close in quality but cost less because they are made in China.  Made with the same process and materials as All Clad.  Maybe a slight bit thinner but if you have to ask what's a good brand, you won't notice the difference.  The brands listed also make copper sets that are awesome but most of us will never really notice the difference or won't care for the difference because it's a $1000 or more difference in price.  From a couple of hundred for the cheaper stainless set to several thousands for the all out copper set.

If you get a set, it'll include 8 and 10 inch skillet, sauce pan, and stock pot.  I never use the skillets that came with the set but they are almost always included.  The sauce pan I use for reducing sauces because stainless is inert and won't transfer tastes.  I hear that the carbon skillet can do that.

A stainless stock pot and a cast iron dutch oven will cover the rest.  An enameled dutch oven will hold up just fine.  Just don't use a metal stirring utensil.  Use a wooden spoon, that's what they are made for.  Get the stock pot to match your other pots if you didn't get a set and a Lodge dutch oven.

I have a Lodge skillet that I use a lot but I should have gotten the dutch oven instead.  

Get the German or Japanese name brand knives.  Look on the internet and be patient.  You can usually get them half off.  Get a good sharpening system, APEX, Spyderco, Japanese water stone sets (takes more skill) even the 8 inch belt sharpener from Cabelas seems to get decent reviews.  Lastly, get a good thick wood butcher block.  Spend a hundred dollars on one if you have to, your knives will thank you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

If you want non-stick, then a company called "Scan Pan" makes absolutely amazing non-stick cookware.  It does fall into the category of "buy once, cry once" - but IMO is totally worth it.  I've got three of their pans, and use at least one of them every day.

I looked around for good non-stick stuff, and bought Calphalon based on all sorts of recommendations and ratings.  After about six months the surface was already starting to go, and after a year I threw them away because I didn't want to EAT non-stick coating in my food.    I've had Scan Pan pans for several years now, and the surface is still perfect.  It's some kind of ceramic-titanium coating on aluminum, and it works really well.  Supposedly, you CAN actually use metal implements on them, and put them in the dishwasher (although I try to avoid that).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All-Clad for pots and pans, and for a pot? Le Creuset enameled.

This.

If you want non-stick, then a company called "Scan Pan" makes absolutely amazing non-stick cookware.  It does fall into the category of "buy once, cry once" - but IMO is totally worth it.  I've got three of their pans, and use at least one of them every day.

I looked around for good non-stick stuff, and bought Calphalon based on all sorts of recommendations and ratings.  After about six months the surface was already starting to go, and after a year I threw them away because I didn't want to EAT non-stick coating in my food.    I've had Scan Pan pans for several years now, and the surface is still perfect.  It's some kind of ceramic-titanium coating on aluminum, and it works really well.  Supposedly, you CAN actually use metal implements on them, and put them in the dishwasher (although I try to avoid that).

The Newer GREY ALL-Clad nonstick are very good. It also is not Teflon (the older Black ones were a Teflon derivative) and is designed for stove top to oven, just not into the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got some Pampered Chef knives that are pretty good. You can get better knives, but they're very good steel and solidly built for less $ than the ultra-grade knives.

One of my all time favorites are the higher-end Chicago Cutlery kitchen knives. They are a high carbon steel that requires a little more frequent sharpening, but can be given a scalpel-like edge with minimal work. They're also much less expensive than most other high quality knives.

Also check out Laguiole knives if cost isn't an obstacle and you just want some seriously nice stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You don't need to go crazy on knives.

This $35 chef knife and a couple of others of the same brand will serve you well.  They are first rate knives and an excellent value.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-8-Inch-47520-5-2063-20/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421694460&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+knife
View Quote

The Victorinox - Fibrox was rated best by America's test kitchen for medium priced knives.

IIRC they said it performed equally as well (balance, handle comfort, blade durability and sharpness) as some of the higher priced German brands.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All-Clad for pots and pans, and for a pot? Le Creuset enameled.

This.

Le Creuset also make very good non-stick (non-teflon) pans that are also supposedly dishwasher safe and gtg with metal utensils (I avoid both).

Le Creuset
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some Heathcraft and Farberware stainless pots that I received as gifts and they have both worked very well for me so far. The Heathcraft will cost you some bucks and is Made in the USA, the Farberware is cheaper and does the job pretty well too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The restaurant supply recommendation is not a bad one.

White handled Sani-Safe knives might not carry a lot of weight in the fashion world but they hold a decent edge, don't cost so much that you don't mind using an electric sharpener on them, and cut reasonably well.  They're not as sharp as a lot of more stylish knives but there's certainly nothing wrong with them.

Heavy duty pots & pans at reasonable prices, too. Especially baking pans.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The restaurant supply recommendation is not a bad one.

White handled Sani-Safe knives might not carry a lot of weight in the fashion world but they hold a decent edge, don't cost so much that you don't mind using an electric sharpener on them, and cut reasonably well.  They're not as sharp as a lot of more stylish knives but there's certainly nothing wrong with them.

Heavy duty pots & pans at reasonable prices, too. Especially baking pans.
View Quote

except for being stainless.  my chef is a 10" stainless sabatier.  because my sister has a larger budget, she has the exact same knife, but in carbon.  the difference is night and day.  i sharpen both, but while my knife is merely solid, hers is dreamy.  since the chef is what you're going to be using the most, it makes sense to spend more to get more.

i normally recommend going to restaurant supply places like ace mart when people ask about value cookware, but given the OP's stipulations, i suspect that he wants something a bit "nicer".
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you have a SurLa Table near you, they have some nice European-made cook ware that isn't the usual "made in China" variety.

Be prepared to really cry, though.
View Quote
My boss gave me a Sur La Table gift card and I just spent quite a bit of time there yesterday.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Wustoff or Shun knoves, all-clad pans.

Calphalon tri-clads are 90% the pan for 30% the price.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pots and pans: All Clad
Soup, chili etc...: LeCruset
Knives: Shun, Wustoff
View Quote

Santa covered me on those this year
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
More votes for:

• Wusthoff Trident Knives

• All-Clad Pots and Pans

• Lodge Cast Iron Pans

Get a quality sharpening kit for the knives (I'm partial to DMT), some Barkeeper's Friend for the All-Clad, and learn to season the Lodge cast iron.  Happiness will be yours.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top