Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget to factor in depreciation if that's something you're into. It'll drop like a rock with Chryco products. That's what got me into them in the first place. 
View Quote

Why are they selling this perfectly "good" used vehicle for a Cheap Trick song?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
25K for a new truck?  Where the Fuck are you shopping

A basic F-150 4x4 Ext Cab up here goes for like 34-38 in it's current year
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a brand new 2009 TRX4 4x4 CC 5.7 Hemi in January of that year, first year of the gen 4 design. Dodge had a few small, easy recalls that were pretty painless to take the truck in and get done. 130,000 miles later and I never had any problems except the manifold bolts that were a factory recall item so Dodge fixed that for free. The truck just ran. I towed heavy with it a few times, ran it off road kind of hard every single fall during hunting season and was never a light foot when it came to driving. The gen 4, 2009 and newer, trucks are great vehicles. Ram also offers a lifetime warranty on your gas engine trucks if you want to buy that, I did on all my FCA vehicles. I totaled my 2009 in January this year and replace it with a Ram 2500 CC 4x4 with the 6.4 Hemi, no regrets at all. Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My last two Chevy trucks have had numerous high dollar problems.  I'm fucking down with them.

At work we use Dodge Ram chassis and love them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll be getting a Cummins in the spring.

This coming from a diehard Chevy guy ever since I've driven.
View Quote

Nissan?

I'm still driving my 2000 Tundra, great pickup.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh, not saying who is best but a lot of people who spend high dollar on stuff feel the need to justify their purchases and overlook stuff the cheapos bitch about.
Buy whatever you want and enjoy.
Free economy and all that shit.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My dad has a 2006 Dodge Ran 2500 with 35k miles on it. I think he has more money into repairs than he has spent on gas so far. Okay, maybe not quite but he's had several bills of $500+ so far. Lots of replacement parks in the axles around 25k miles, had to replace the entire instrument cluster because it stopped working around 30k miles, and some other stuff. And that's not counting the work that has been done under multiple recalls.

When he bought it a few days later we noticed the front bumper was crooked. It was only bolted on on one side. 

He wants to sell it but he can't get any decent money back out of it on trade-in or on a private party sale because it's 11 years old.

That's just one truck though, but that's his/my Dodge/Ram experience.
View Quote

Why would you pay all that money for stuff that should have been covered under the factory warranty?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One of the reviews I watched said those guys are the largest Ram dealer in the nation. I find it funny that they're in a tiny town in rural Idaho.

Their webpage only says the price is "Too Low To Show." That's not very helpful.

The other problem is that they are over 1,500 miles away from me. Not only do I think it's safe to assume that the cost of travel would nullify the savings of going there, but I'd have to immediately take a brand new vehicle on a cross-country road trip. That's a bad idea according to the break-in procedures in every manual I've ever read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a 3500, diesel Ram; zero problems. This is my second one. Buy at Dave Smith Motors for the best deal.

One of the reviews I watched said those guys are the largest Ram dealer in the nation. I find it funny that they're in a tiny town in rural Idaho.

Their webpage only says the price is "Too Low To Show." That's not very helpful.

The other problem is that they are over 1,500 miles away from me. Not only do I think it's safe to assume that the cost of travel would nullify the savings of going there, but I'd have to immediately take a brand new vehicle on a cross-country road trip. That's a bad idea according to the break-in procedures in every manual I've ever read.

If Dave Smith is the one I am thinking of, they are kind of shady from what I have read from people who bought from them.  

OP, of you want the best experience in buying a Ram, contact Ken at Tom O'Brien Ram.  He is the Truck sales manager there, and he is a sponsor at Cumminsforum.com.  He has built, ordered, and delivered dozens of trucks to members of CF.  Yes, he will deliver it right to your driveway.  He knows his stuff, and won't dick you around on price or options.  Just say you heard of him through the Cummins Forum...

Indytruckchampion

http://www.tomobrienindy.com/
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a 2005 Ram for 10yrs with 100k. Few issues, except fender well rust which appeared around year 7.

I now have a 14 Tundra.

I manage a fleet of Fords, all one tons or larger. I'd never, and I mean ever, buy a Ford.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

yup

im on my 3rd ram and my 5th or 6th dodge.  not a single one has ever given me trouble.

those pretty graphs and charts dont mean shit to me.  
View Quote

That grey Ram 1500 you had is still my favorite. The stance was absolutely perfect. 
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie that I bought used last year. I love it. It's had no issues. Mechanically it is sound, and the interior quality is great. I've owned Chevy and Ford, and so far this has been my favorite truck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just here to say that I've had zero issues with my 2015 RAM 1500 Sport w/ the 5.7.

Didn't have any issues with the Tundra before it either, I just needed an extra row of seats.

Pics of both because every thread should be a pic thread....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a 2005 Ram for 10yrs with 100k. Few issues, except fender well rust which appeared around year 7.

I now have a 14 Tundra.

I manage a fleet of Fords, all one tons or larger. I'd never, and I mean ever, buy a Ford.
View Quote

I have 16 tundra and also manage a fleet of ford one tons.  Are you having issues with the diesels?  Our diesels are shit and we switched back to gas last year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting.

Was this Toyota Matrix vs Pontiac Vibe, or something older?

Did they attempt to explain it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Consumer Reports is a biased and very suspect source.  I haven't bothered reading anything they print about vehicles since they rated the two almost identical products from NUMMI (one Toyota and one GM) with very different quality scores.  The brand perception bias was tangible.

As for the RAM, if you're buying a 1500 other than the regular cab, it will be built at Warren Truck outside of Detroit.  The 2500 and heavier, and all of the regular cabs, are built at Saltillo, Mexico.  The eight speed transmissions, a modified ZF design, are built by FCA in Indiana.  The Hemi engine comes from Saltillo.  Between the two RAM final assembly truck plants (Warran and Saltillo), you're likely to get better quality, at least paint wise, from the Mexico plant.

Interesting.

Was this Toyota Matrix vs Pontiac Vibe, or something older?

Did they attempt to explain it?

Matrix and Vibe, although I don't recall the model year.  Regardless, the Vibe was always just a very thinly rebadged Matrix, built on the same assembly line by the same workers and management, using the same parts.  Unless the Toyota people were intentionally sabotaging the Vibe cars, the only other explanation is CR bias.

I don't remember that CR attempted to explain the difference, or even acknowledged that these were the same car except for the badges.  How could they explain it?  Any explanation would throw doubt on their results.

I've owned two Ram 1/2-ton trucks.  A second generation 1997 Quad Cab, 318 V8 4x4 with manual transmission, and a fourth generation 2015 regular cab short bed with the 5.7 Hemi 4x4 and 8-speed auto.  Just shy of 100k miles on the '97 when I sold it, and about 15k now on the 2015.  Both were/are reliable and failure-free.  The '97 didn't have the best interior, but I did like the solid front axle for simplicity and Michigan winters.  The '15 has the better ride by far, though, even with the shorter wheelbase.  The all-coil suspension of the current generation is an improvement in a 1/2-ton truck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#15]
DO NOT BUY THE GM trucks!!!!! ..... google it they shake at most speeds like a drive line problem but that's not it, google shaking truck

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are buying a half ton to drive around in the city, who cares. It wont get worked hard and matters little which you buy. If you are buying a truck for working or heavy Rv use, then you need to do some research. The half tons, just pick the one that you think looks and drives the best based on your perceptions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cummins
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I forgot to mention that I typically buy the truck that is covered in the least amount of chrome, I want a truck not a fucking Harley Davidson.  

Really, the big 4.5 all make good trucks with solid warranties.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have very, very little faith in any of these vehicle quality/ dependability ratings.  With the exception of Lexus/Toyota being consistently at/near the top, there is just too much inconsistency to much faith in them.

Look at the Lincoln vs F150.  I'd be very surprised if they aren't built on the same assembly line with 99% of the same parts, yet one is twice as good as the other?  Same with GM.  Buick gets a much higher rating than other GM cars built on the same platforms with the same drivetrains?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I've had close to ten diesel powered rams over the years. Only ones that gave me issues were extremely used 2nd gen trucks. And even then it was little shit mostly due from lack of proper maintenance.

3rd gens have been awesome, but the back seat is too damn small.

My current 4th gen I plan to keep forever. It's paid off and I don't plan on making car payments again any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know it doesn't really compare to the newer ones, but my 04' Hemi Ram has been pretty bullet proof.....except for a problem with the rearend a while ago.  It's got around 150,000 miles on it.....still running strong.
View Quote

Same here. Had a retainer pin, or something, fail in the rearend of my '04 hemi at around 30k

Truck now has 290k on it, and Ive replaced the battery once, radiator at 200k and the fuel pump at 225k, and that's it other than maintenance stuff.

Same water pump, alternator, starter exc.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I was recently in the market for a new 1/2 ton truck. I looked at everything and way over-analyzed everything. In the end I went with a 2015 Ram 1500 crew standard bed with Hemi and 8 speed. Could have gotten the 2017 but the dealership had my truck in the showroom with 145 miles on it and 10K cheaper with all the options I wanted. I paid 32K and got them to throw in remote start and extended warranty as well. If you get the Ram 1500, spend the money and get the 8 speed. It's a German made ZF (mine is at least). One of the nicest, smoothest shifting trannys around. Oh, last month on a trip from SLC to Vegas, cruising around Vegas valley and then back, I averaged 22 mpg overall. Not bad for a 6K pound truck with wife, kids, and a bed full of luggage.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My last three Ram 1500s have been flawless for a couple hundred thousand miles. My new 16 is at 20k and no issues so far. The only thing that sucks are the factory good years are toast by 20k....every fucking time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]
2015 ram 2500 HD cummins 4x4 quad
54000 miles
0 problems
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I read this stuff all the time, but my experiences differ vastly.

My last truck was a Laramie 1500 (2010) that i drove to work and down the lease roads as well as towed a full sized bass boat for 3 years. Traded it in with 120k on it at the end of 13 for a new Tundra because BLT was paying contingency money for Skeeter Boats towed by Tundras.

Now at the end of 16 and 90k of similar miles pulling a bass boat, lease roads, and tons of highway miles, I wish i still had my 10 Ram and it had 210k on it instead. I regretted thr Tundra by the 3rd week. Its about as ergonomically appropriate as a monkey fucking a football in zero gravity with texting Elon Musk on a flip phone. The turning radius is shit, it takes a city block to make a u-turn. It has absolutly NO more power than the hemi yet the hemi got 17mpg on the highway and 12 towing the boat, the Tundra gets 11 on the highway and 9 towing the boat or even the little 6x10 enclosed trailer. The Ram paint was fantastic and you couldnt scratch it to save your life unless you tried yet the tundra scratched the first time I washed it and now looks like it is 50 years old and been through a sand blaster. The Ram went in the shop exactly 0 times, the Tundra has had to be reflashed twice because when it would get cold it wouldn't start (I'm talking 40 degrees at best, no start). The tundra has eaten two abs sensors in the front at 450 bucks a pop, the interior rattles to hell which the Ram never did, and the list goes on.

Sorry Tundra fans but this fucker has convinced me they just pay the most to the magazine editors advertising department because there is no comparison. I have aleays been a Ford guy and have had a shit ton of them but the Ram and Tundra have played their part in changing my mind. Next truck will be another Ram and I won't even give Toyota my money again.
View Quote

I have never owned a Ram but I have owned the same generation Tundra and your experience is definitely an exception and not the rule. Sorry you have so much trouble.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Ford and Ram paint their truck frames. Chevy and GMC dip their frames in wax instead.

Which would you rather have?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I have owned Dodge products since 2002 and only had minor issues with trucks. I ordered a 2015 Hemi Ram and am pretty amazed at the interior quality and the smooth ride of the 1500. I am very impressed with the 8 speed. I got $11k off msrp with the price negotiated and some rebates and incentives, my Laramie stickered at $46k though. I looked at other trucks and the prices were much higher and most had fewer options. At the very least go drive one. I purchased a lifetime warranty for $2300 as piece of mind.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still looking at trucks and the rams are hard to beat for value. You get a lot of truck for your money.

If rams were such costly pieces of shit I don't think large fleet buyers would be buying them. My very large company uses ram trucks (along with ford & gm), I've noticed that the railroad here uses all three brands as well. I just feel that if anyone would be aware of excessive maintenance and reliability issues it would be multi-billion dollar companies with tens of thousands of vehicles. Yet they still buy rams.

The most troublesome work truck I've ever had was a ford. Three years old 85k, 5.4 decided it had worked enough, sent to auction.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#30]
14 Eco Diesel 43K and no problems.  I've towed at least 1/2 those miles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is really the best way to go, if you plan on keeping it for a while. Transmissions, suspensions and diffs are built stronger than their 1/2 ton counterparts and are intended for hard use over extended periods.
If I were buying a new truck today, it would be a Ram 3/4 or 1 ton, 4wd with the 6.4 and lifetime warranty. My boss bought one of the SLT quad cabs for $32k earlier this year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
2016 Ram owner here and my 1st pickup.  Not a brand fanboi and this was/is my 1st Chrysler product.  I went into the truck hunt trying to choose between an F-150 & Silverado, drover the RAM back to back and never looked back.  Also, check out the Dennis Dillon pricing on new RAMs.
View Quote

Sweet truck!  It looks just like mine, but mine doesn't have the ram boxes (getting a cap) and it's got the ecodiesel. Same black on black though. I wrapped the big Ram on the front and back, gonna order more vinyl to do the bumpers and mirrors.

As far as reliability on the Rams, your dealer service dept is where FCA is gonna screw you over. I do my own maintenance and just document and keep the receipts.  If you can find a good service dept, I think you'll have a good Ram experience.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ford and Ram paint their truck frames. Chevy and GMC dip their frames in wax instead.

View Quote

Interesting.

Source?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is really the best way to go, if you plan on keeping it for a while. Transmissions, suspensions and diffs are built stronger than their 1/2 ton counterparts and are intended for hard use over extended periods.
If I were buying a new truck today, it would be a Ram 3/4 or 1 ton, 4wd with the 6.4 and lifetime warranty. My boss bought one of the SLT quad cabs for $32k earlier this year.
View Quote

There's a lot of added expense there, though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I own nine Ram Cummins. Tax guy today needs I need to spend $100k to try and turn down some of the tax bite. So before the end of the year, I'll buy a tenth Ram Cummins. Along with a ton of other junk I was hoping to not have to buy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:55:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't made any direct contact with dealers. I've only looked at the pricing they are openly advertising on their webpages.
View Quote

Truecar will show you what dealers are willing to do without much hassle, and if you're good you can do much better.

In regards to Ram, Dodge is Ram is Chrysler.  The company is what it is.   I see a lot of Ram owners that like their trucks, but most will tell you to be realistic about what you're getting.   They have specific things they bought it for and think the rest is junk.

I don't think AEV would work with them if they were irredeemable piles of crap, but there aren't any Ram models that stand out that are at the bottom end of the price range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I fully expected this thread to be a full on shit show bashing Ram trucks

I am looking at buying a used Ram. I feel like you get more for your money. And the years I am looking at (09-14), they feel a lot newer inside and out compared to chevy/gm.
View Quote

Same here. Is there actual love being shown for the Ram? Bought my 2012 1500 2 years old and still going strong.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nissan?

I'm still driving my 2000 Tundra, great pickup.
View Quote

Nope, Ram!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:19:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cite pls?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#40]
My experience with my Ram has been less than stellar .  I can say though the cruse control, keyless entry and outside temp gauge have never given me any problems.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My experience with my Ram has been less than stellar .  I can say though the cruse control, keyless entry and outside temp gauge have never given me any problems.
View Quote

My opinion is that every manufactured vehicle will have problems. It's a mechanical device and something will fail early or later in mileage.

I like to go for the best bang for the buck. The Ram 1500 Laramie and Big Horn offers a lot of stuff for the price tag.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:56:41 AM EDT
[#42]
2013 RAM Outdoorsman 4x4 here.

Bought new, no issues yet.  For the extra $3k, buy the Factory Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty.  $3k will get you a $100 deductible.  

Got the same warranty on my wife's 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have yet to use it on her vehicle.

Note..... the warranty is only available on the gas motors.

Factory Chrysler Warranty
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Older 3rd gen Cummins quadcab Ram owner here.

Love everything about my truck, it was cheap to purchase used....it's tough as hell and has good power & mpg. Interior is in great shape & zero rust after 12 years. (missouri)

Older turbo diesel engine is a good way to go.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My opinion is that every manufactured vehicle will have problems. It's a mechanical device and something will fail early or later in mileage.

I like to go for the best bang for the buck. The Ram 1500 Laramie and Big Horn offers a lot of stuff for the price tag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree that you can get a bad one in most any thing made buy mankind . .but some brands have a track record for making mistakes ..The Ram truck I have now is not my first rodeo with Chrysler corporation . The big issue is that despite the problems I still like them. Just be sure you know what you want.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Interior sucks.  Exterior Sucks.  Dealerships suck.  I would buy one as a work truck to beat on but I wouldn't be caught dead daily driving the POS.

So, I guess that's an endorsement?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Chevy F'd me and dragged me along so bad with my duramax, ford played games too. Switched to toyota several years ago
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had an 04, 07, 10, 13, and now a 16 Ram 1500 QC and they've all been issue free. 

Then again, I get rid of them right at 100k miles, hence 3 year rotation, so maybe I don't keep them long enough to have issues. 

I love the 8 speed tranny. 
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cite pls?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite pls?

Looks under the damn trucks

I have a silverado, and the "self healing" crap they put on it is garbage after 2 years
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#49]
read the warranty for the dodge ram carefully
on my 3500 the 100,000 drive train warranty does not include the transmission/transfer case, that drops out at 36,000
so when my transmission went at 48 g I had to fork over 4g to fix it.
aftermarket trans. gave me a 3 yr, 100,000 warranty, ram was only giving a 1 yr, 12,000 mile on a factory new

now after 8 yrs most of the electronics is starting to go,
only good thing about the truck is the cummins , I put in a tuner in 2012 to get rid of the emission crap that never worked.
good mileage/power now but it has cost thousands to get there
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#50]
one thing I have consistently noticed about people who bitch and moan about Ram Trucks, have never owned a Dodge Ram. but they do bitch about some of the assholes driving them.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top