Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
As a seventeen year old I feel it is my job to step in here and reply.

I for one picture a generation of kids, I for one am part of them,  that have seen all of the dumb stuff their parents have done and learn from it. They don't have to make the mistake for themselves, they can recognize the pain and strife that spawned from their own parent's irresponsibility and do not need to follow in their steps.

My parents are wonderful parents, especially for having me so young and forcing them to grow up even sooner, I'm sure that was a challenge. I've never seen this as a disadvantage but I have learned from it, as well as my Dad's own mistakes as a young driver.

I've had my license for about 5 months, I drive the speed limit and about 10 below it at night. I don't street race, I don't put wings on my '93 Tempo, I look out for guys on motorcycles,  I don't drink, and I'm always looking out for my fellow driver who is being a little careless.

I understand that not every 17 year old can honestly say these things but I for one can,

Keep it at 16.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I say keep it at 16.  I remember when I was that age and needed to drive to work, high school sporting events and other academic functions.  There is no way that my parents could have  been able to do it and I would have missed out on a lot.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I for one picture a generation of kids, I for one am part of them,  that have seen all of the dumb stuff their parents have done and learn from it. They don't have to make the mistake for themselves, they can recognize the pain and strife that spawned from their own parent's irresponsibility and do not need to follow in their steps.

My parents are wonderful parents, especially for having me so young and forcing them to grow up even sooner, I'm sure that was a challenge. I've never seen this as a disadvantage but I have learned from it, as well as my Dad's own mistakes as a young driver.

I've had my license for about 5 months, I drive the speed limit and about 10 below it at night. I don't street race, I don't put wings on my '93 Tempo, I look out for guys on motorcycles,  I don't drink, and I'm always looking out for my fellow driver who is being a little careless.

I understand that not every 17 year old can honestly say these things but I for one can,

Keep it at 16.

You drive like a pussy
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 17, work at my job until 11pm or later sometimes.  Do you really think I should call my mom to come pick me up at midnight?  

Keep it at 16, 18 is just retarded for so many reasons.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep it at 16.

You drive like a pussy

Oh..... this coming from the kid that had his parents buy him a brand new Ford Truck......

I wish I could have the world at the click of my heels  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep it at 16.

You drive like a pussy

Oh..... this coming from the kid that had his parents buy him a brand new Ford Truck......

I wish I could have the world at the click of my heels  

They didn't buy me one, they extended me credit and I bought it from them

My brother goes to school with a chick whose parents bought her a diesel SuperDuty so she coculd tow her horse trailer, and her horse, around when she went to college. She's hot too, I think I want to meet her
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
16 here. Leave my house at 6:10am drive 18 miles to school and back.

Work after school until 9pm and on saturdays work until 1am.

No way in hell my dad would be able to keep up with that.

Dale - Could be wrong, but Combat_Jack paid for his F350 as I do for my Silverado.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Dale - Could be wrong, but Combat_Jack paid for his F350 as I do for my Silverado.

Comes out of my check But you dont miss it if you never see it

As I recall, there is another youngster running around here with a 7.3L PSD, but I havent seen him post in a while.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Simmer down boys, I was just joking note the

I was just playing off of something Norman74 said to him a long time ago about his new truck his parents "bought" for him.

All in good fun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats is with the general consenus that driving is a privlege.  If I pay my damn taxes and pay for those roads to be built then who the hell is the government to "allow" me to drive on the damn  tax paid road.  I have known many people that didnt get their licenses till they were at least 18 and it was not a good thing, one of my friends was 18 when he first got his license and was the worst driver I have ever road with. (Everytime I got in that car with him I thought it was my last time in earth)  Just because your 18 it doesnt give you super magic driving powers.

BTW what is it with all these minors on the site who cant even buy a AR15
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I didnt get my liscence till 18 couldnt afford the insurcance till then.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simmer down boys, I was just joking note the

I was just playing off of something Norman74 said to him a long time ago about his new truck his parents "bought" for him.

All in good fun.

yah, I know its in good fun. Surprised you still remember the prom truck thread!

Tivoli, thats a hell of a schedule you run there, I never really had to juggle work and school, I do one or the other.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont think it would help much, I see plenty of idiots of a;; ages out there.  Might increase the unlicensed and uninsured theres already too many around here as it is.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Whats is with the general consenus that driving is a privlege.  If I pay my damn taxes and pay for those roads to be built then who the hell is the government to "allow" me to drive on the damn  tax paid road.  I have known many people that didnt get their licenses till they were at least 18 and it was not a good thing, one of my friends was 18 when he first got his license and was the worst driver I have ever road with. (Everytime I got in that car with him I thought it was my last time in earth)  Just because your 18 it doesnt give you super magic driving powers.

BTW what is it with all these minors on the site who cant even buy a AR15

I had three ARs by my 17th birthday I am 18 now. Kids now are the future of the sport.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Legal driving age is 14 here.  Yes 14.  I would like to see it go to 18.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I think better training, mandatory in high school.  Make it a whole year, not a few weeks.
This should include a high speed behind the wheel course, at say a racing style school.  Let them learn how cars react at all speeds on different surfaces.  Not just a drive around the block and parallel park it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think better training, mandatory in high school.  Make it a whole year, not a few weeks.
This should include a high speed behind the wheel course, at say a racing style school.  Let them learn how cars react at all speeds on different surfaces.  Not just a drive around the block and parallel park it.

To costs to drive right now are getting close to being prohibitive.

Around here it's almost $400 dollars for the mandatory schooling, I couldn't imagine having to pay for a "high speed driving class."

In Ohio you have to put in 20 hours of Classroom time, 50 hours with parents behind the wheel, and 8 hours with a driving instructor on many different types of roads.

Edited to add that you also have to pass a test, trip around the block, and a quick maneuverability test.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To costs to drive right now are getting close to being prohibitive.

Around here it's almost $400 dollars for the mandatory schooling, I couldn't imagine having to pay for a "high speed driving class."

In Ohio you have to put in 20 hours of Classroom time, 50 hours with parents behind the wheel, and 8 hours with a driving instructor on many different types of roads.

I didnt get mine until 18 since I had no money for a car and didnt have to do much excpet a test in the parking lot.

I have tried to teach my cousin to drive since no one else will that hasnt went well so far.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm 17, work at my job until 11pm or later sometimes.  Do you really think I should call my mom to come pick me up at midnight?  

What are you states laws dealing with teenagers hours? Are you allowed to work later than 11PM? No, you should not call your mom for a ride. You should walk, ride a bicycle, or take the bus.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Bingo. Make them drive in the wet, in the snow. Hell yeah. Most kids I know can't regain control of their car.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you states laws dealing with teenagers hours? Are you allowed to work later than 11PM? No, you should not call your mom for a ride. You should walk, ride a bicycle, or take the bus.

Probably legal. In WA its midnight, and Wyoming probably doesnt have the liberal labor laws. Exceptions in the legal driving age are made for work. You must live in the city, AR15fan,  because in many parts of the country there is no bus service, and your work or school is too far to ride a bike to. I certaily would not ride 25 miles down a highway starting at midnight!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Well....in MO, most of the roads going to shit is a direct result of 3 factors.

1. Trucks, especially on I70 and I44
2. Weather (winters especially...see reason # as for why)
3. SHITTY ASSED CONSTRUCTION

3 is the biggest reason.  MO tries to use the crappiest and cheapest materials (usually very low quality asphalt) and then stretch the materials farther (ie, thinner layers).

Result?  Hot summers soften the shitty ashpalt, trucks push it around a bit and cause some small cracks, winter comes along and water in those small cracks freeze and make them bigger cracks, letting in more water etc etc etc.

IF MO would get off its asses and build some decent roads, the cycle would break itself and road maintnence would be quite a bit easier and less costly...

</rant>
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top