Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
FUCKO ESPANOL!

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The machine is smart enough to remember my name and account, why can't it frikking remember what language I use?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Your barking up the wrong tree.

The banks and businesses have the right to cater to an many clients as tehy possibly can. If you dont want foreign speaking people petition your government to remove the illegals, and instate English programs to foreigners.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Someone will surely call me racist, and another will probably call me out because he is chicano/mexican-american/or whatever... but my rant still stands. I know it takes me an extra three or four seconds at the ATM to select which language, BFD, but it annoys me every time I need cash.

Big hassle: no
PITA: in a way,  yes.

Mostly, I figure if I immigrated to mexico, I couldnt expect ATMs there to have an option for  "english" when I wanted cash, so I guess I'd have to learn the language. Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone have any insights as to ATMs in, say, Mexico or France? How about ATMs in Germany?

+1 . If you want to flood our country and live off of, and contribute to,  our "Milk and Honey", learn English and stop trying to bring your "Old World" culture into America. If your previous homeland wasn't good enough for you to stay in... don't try to influence your new country's culture with it. This is what pisses me off so much about "Hispanic History Month" and other bs like that.

See Also: Chinese speaking individuals
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you get pissed off at the brail dots on the things too? Get upset at the ramps at street curbs? What about disabled extra-wide toilets with the hand grips around them?

As to the toilets?  Hell no I don't get pissed!  I seek them out when I need to take a shit in a public place.  They're really comfy, often you'll find a newspaper in there and many people will not use them because they think they're for handicapped only so they're often cleaner.  I love handicapped public toilets!

Even better is when I step out from taking a rather good dump in a handicapped shitter, and there's some guy in a wheelchair making handicapped faces at me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you get pissed off at the brail dots on the things too? Get upset at the ramps at street curbs? What about disabled extra-wide toilets with the hand grips around them?

The one I use assumes English but offers about six or eight others including Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and a few others. If you start typing your PIN the menus come up in English, if you want another language you select it before entering your PIN. Wouldn't in be nice to have your card programmed with your perfered langage so that once selected it would remember and automatically change the screen to the correct langage.

If you don't like having other people who speak different languages visiting your neighborhood send them to mine. We love tourist, our economy, like many others, benifits plenty from tourist dollars, pesos, yen, baht, euros ...

Making REASONABLE accommodations is always the noble thing to do.

Brail dots dont bother me, but as someone said, if they are blind, what are they doing at a drive up ATM? All of those things are pretty much seamless as far as how they might effect me. If someday all bathrooms had  handles and extra wide toilets , and stairs were eliminated for ramps, it wouldnt effect me much and would help those wo needed them. If someday english became second or third choice for the "language of the land, I think I'd be a little upset, as that is NOT the same and might have serious consequinces for those of us who dont speak Spanish, or... maybe... Farsi in the future. I could probably get by if the only option was spanish. I know a few words, mostly bad ones.

I agree it would be nice if your card was progammed with your prefered language.

I dont have a problem with tourists, and generally, American greenbacks are good everywhere. Note that I dont have a problem with folks who want to come here as tourists or to work, but it is America and english is the prevailing language.

I agree with your last statement. But where do we draw that line? Or must we?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Its complete BS, learn English or get out. Better yet, just get out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about disabled extra-wide toilets with the hand grips around them?

Nah those are nice. I use them all the time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Move to Alaska.

Our ATMs are still pure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
...because they won't let me chose "German"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Out here in San Jose, CA, it's English, Spanish and Chinese.

I'm slightly more ticked that at the hospitals and banks, the signs are in English, Spanish, and VIETNAMESE.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the main reason is because the money of those spanish-speakers is green, just like yours, so the bank doesn't give a fuck if you have a problem with it.

Bingo ! We have a winner !
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The one I use assumes English but offers about six or eight others including Spanish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean and a few others. If you start typing your PIN the menus come up in English, if you want another language you select it before entering your PIN. Wouldn't in be nice to have your card programmed with your perfered langage so that once selected it would remember and automatically change the screen to the correct langage.

If you don't like having other people who speak different languages visiting your neighborhood send them to mine. We love tourist, our economy, like many others, benifits plenty from tourist dollars, pesos, yen, baht, euros ...

Making REASONABLE accommodations is always the noble thing to do.

I don't think the point of this thread is aimed at tourists!  Just like the optics forum is not intended for Tacpoints.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The one in the local Wawa (convienience store for those in other parts of the country)  has selections for like a dozen different languages.   it bugs me too, I've choosen a different language just to see how hard it would be to figure out and it ain't that hard.

Learn to speak English or leave.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Well we're not in Rome and the Constitution is written in English so learn it!

Do we have to have all signs in multi-language form?  Where does it end?!

I'm bi-lingual, but I hate those instruction manuals with like 10 different laguages.  You have to look for the English in a simple manual that's 50 pages!!

The rest of the world is learning English and we have to learn Spanish here?!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Out here in San Jose, CA, it's English, Spanish and Chinese.

I'm slightly more ticked that at the hospitals and banks, the signs are in English, Spanish, and VIETNAMESE.

Learn to translate dollars into Yuans, because the Chinese are taking over our economy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
The assistant manager at my job is spanish, doesn't speak english that well.  So I always have to ask her twice sometimes three times what the fuck she said so I know what to do exactly when she wants me to do something.  It's bullshit.  Sometimes I have to even have her point out where she wants me to move something, because I just can't understand her.  She's lazy as shit too.  Dumps most of her work on me, and then sits in the office all god damn night.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I say it's discrimination.   I want signs and ATM's in :  Deutsch; Magyarul; and how about Cy
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I didnt read all the posts, so I dont know if this has been said already...

but if you go anywhere else in the world, there is an option for English. International navigational language is English. ATMs, banks, street signs, menus - all over the world have English, so don't act like America is doing something special because we have a spanish option on our ATMs.

Should they still learn English? Yes, of course. Even if our official language was English, you would probably still see a Spanish option on the ATM.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I cant tell you how many times in Italy I was thankful for an "english" button on thier ATMs.

+1 although although after a month I could and did use the Italian language choice.  Since my Italian was OK, I could pretty much decipher ATMs in Spain too, but in France, Austria, Greece, and Israel I was glad to have an English option.  I only don't like it if English isn't the top choice on the machine here in the US.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#21]
que???
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The same reason drive up ATMs have braille on all the keys.  

I still love that one WTF!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]
ITS NOT YOUR COUNTRY ANY MORE, ITS THEIRS!!!!!!!!! UNTILL THE SHTF AND WE TAKE IT BACK!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
zbe glad yours do not have English and Francais.......

though spanish is not really any better.......
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was in Uruguay the ATMs had english too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
If you push the espanol button you get pesos!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#27]
The reason you people see ENGLISH in other countries is because ENGLISH is the international language. They are not simply doing it to please you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top