Originally Posted By Hydguy:
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Originally Posted By GotSig556:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2
JK, its a joke and Jeep admits it in the model code.

How many inches of lift does it take to fit 35's on a tj?

Without tube fenders, a minimum of 4 inches of lift. If you throw on a 1 inch body lift on top of the 4" lift, you should be set, but if you don't do a body lift, you might end up smacking your fenders,and especially your rear wheel well.

It really depends on how much work you want to put into modifying your jeep.

AVE makes the Hi Line kit that you theoretically could probably stuff 40 under with a 4"lift

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

So 5 inches of lift total to fit 35's vs the 3.5 needed on the JK to do it.

LOL I see where you're going with this

OR simply go to an SOA if you run a YJ .........No track or sway bars requd
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 9:41:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 9:44:18 AM EDT by brian4wd]

People have done the same stupid shit to CJ's & Early Bronco's -  and just about every ohter vehicle out there....

Brian

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 9:57:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 9:58:05 AM EDT by TexTJ209]
Originally Posted By Krochus:
Why is it that guys like you always think that having a performance car has anything to do with dick size?

you're the dipshit who felt the need to mention it out of the wide blue in a frickin Jeep thread for no apparent reason whatsoever not me

"OK so I don't know shit about Jeeps" ...."But I own a Lambo and worked on a Nova"

WTF I mean really W.T.F.

I just think it's really hilarious and kinda sad that boy you just thought I'd be blown away by the fact you own a Lambo and simply couldn't comprehend that for the purposes of this thread I could care less. Then you start some rambling diatribe about a fuckin Nova.

In your case if the shoe fits.....well you know

BTW

What manufacturer designed the first wrangler yj?

I did mention that I had a '69 Nova, as in 1986, that is what I was driving, and where my interests in cars was. What I remember from that time was Chrysler buying Jeep at the time the YJ was released. Never gave it a thought, as I thought the YJ was (and still is) ugly as hell with the square headlights. Never gave them a second glance. And to be honest, it doesn't matter to me one bit that AMC designed the square headlight retard jeep. Chrysler was more than happy to keep it going. Of course, they were also happy with the K car, the LeBaron, and other fugly cars until someone with some brains decided to do the Prowler and the Viper.

Now they have some decent cars, but the JK is still butt ugly, just like the YJ.

Her is a nice example of the YJ at it best
http://www.ajeepthing.com/images/gallery_17.jpg

The only decent looking thing is the chick.

Did you honestly just describe the Prowler as a good car? Wow.

While the JK leaves a lot of old Jeep Wrangler/CJ standards behind (farewell trailer tail lights ), its still a very capable Jeep.

Jeeps even had IFS back in the '60s. Oh teh noes!

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:47:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TexTJ209:

Did you honestly just describe the Prowler as a good car? Wow. The Prowler brought back fresh ideas about what a car could look like. It had been a long time since STYLE was part of the major car market. With the exception of the Corvette at the time, almost all American cars lacked any style.

While the JK leaves a lot of old Jeep Wrangler/CJ standards behind (farewell trailer tail lights ), its still a very capable Jeep. Never said it wasn't. Electric sway bar disconnect, decent axles, lockers. Yes, the JK Rubi is quite capable. But even without the electric sway bard disconnect, the TJ Rubi is just as capable. For each model of the JK, it's equivalent TJ model is just as capable. And it costs a LOT less for each package in the TJ line up. And the TJ, IMO, is much better looking than the JK.
The TJ's use of coil suspension was a natural progression. Coils can do more in most cases than leaf springs. But it is also a little more expensive.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 11:56:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 2:14:46 PM EDT by Krochus]
Sway bar? What's a sway bar

Isn't it that thing you remove and toss in the scrap basket with the track bars to get your "Jeep God" given flex back
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 1:43:14 PM EDT

Did you honestly just describe the Prowler as a good car? Wow. The Prowler brought back fresh ideas about what a car could look like. It had been a long time since STYLE was part of the major car market. With the exception of the Corvette at the time, almost all American cars lacked any style.

While the JK leaves a lot of old Jeep Wrangler/CJ standards behind (farewell trailer tail lights ), its still a very capable Jeep. Never said it wasn't. Electric sway bar disconnect, decent axles, lockers. Yes, the JK Rubi is quite capable. But even without the electric sway bard disconnect, the TJ Rubi is just as capable. For each model of the JK, it's equivalent TJ model is just as capable. And it costs a LOT less for each package in the TJ line up. And the TJ, IMO, is much better looking than the JK.
The TJ's use of coil suspension was a natural progression. Coils can do more in most cases than leaf springs. But it is also a little more expensive.

Yeah, that bottom comment wasn't really directed towards you. And while the Prowler was certainly interesting from a design standpoint, from every other standpoint it was a gutless piece of crap.

I wonder how many people in this thread know that my avatar is of a Jeep..
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 1:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 1:45:24 PM EDT by 45FMJoe]
Originally Posted By 4_Rings:
Originally Posted By GotSig556:
Look at the progression:

CJ
YJ
TJ

then the 4x2
JK, its a joke and Jeep admits it in the model code.

get over it already...

Get over what?

The fact that Jeep made a POS 4x2 for the mall crawling soccer mom?

My JK will go anywhere your Jeep can go, sugar tits.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:14:16 PM EDT

I wonder how many people in this thread know that my avatar is of a Jeep

I did
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 2:55:17 PM EDT

I wonder how many people in this thread know that my avatar is of a Jeep

I did

Nice.

FEAR THE J2K!

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 5:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 5:21:05 PM EDT by Hydguy]

Isn't it that thing you remove and toss in the scrap basket with the track bars to get your "Jeep God" given flex back

Actually, I run my sway bar connected on the street. Disconnect off road.

Not an issue. And God forbid that some lawyer use a disconnected swaybar as a point of contention in a legal case if it were to arise. They will be hammering everything about a lift and all the other mods.

And TJ also don't have much issue with axle wrap like the YJ and CJ.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 8:37:06 PM EDT

Not an issue. And God forbid that some lawyer use a disconnected swaybar as a point of contention in a legal case if it were to arise. They will be hammering everything about a lift and all the other mods.

Umm, what's the swaybar have to do with axle wrap?

Brian

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 8:37:45 PM EDT

I did

Brian

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 2:39:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brian4wd:

Brian

The swaybar has nothing to do with axle wrap, as far as I know.
Axle wrap is a problem with the leaf spring set up.
But I prefer having to pop 4 pins to disconnect my sway bar than worry about axle wrap.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 3:47:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2009 3:52:16 AM EDT by Krochus]

I actually run EVERYWHERE with the sway bar and track bars thrown in a corner of the shop. Let's see you run without track bars LOL

It's called INSURANCE.. you should try it sometime

Brian

Axle wrap is a problem with the leaf spring set up SOME soa setups without a torque arm
But I prefer having to pop 4 pins to disconnect my sway bar than worry about axle wrap.
LOL you speak as though "axle wrap" is some evil goblin waiting to pounce when you least suspect it

Do you actually know anything about jeeps? or you just copy_n_pasting what others have posted of forums. You are really really really grasping at straws here. BTW your glorious nova you mentioned earlier for no apparent reason could have had "axle wrap"....You should go out an get a vaccine.

Two words for TJ kool aid drinkers like yourself

DEATH WOBBLE

makes axle wrap look like a piece of delicious carrot cake by comparison
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:36:30 AM EDT

I actually run EVERYWHERE with the sway bar and track bars thrown in a corner of the shop. Let's see you run without track bars LOL

Brian

Axle wrap is a problem with the leaf spring set up SOME soa setups without a torque arm
LOL you speak as though "axle wrap" is some evil goblin waiting to pounce when you least suspect it

Do you actually know anything about jeeps? or you just copy_n_pasting what others have posted of forums. You are really really really grasping at straws here. BTW your glorious nova you mentioned earlier for no apparent reason could have had "axle wrap"....You should go out an get a vaccine.

DEATH WOBBLE

Death Wobble isn't bad at all, usually an easy fix too. It typically results from bad parts(or mud in your wheels), not a problem inherent in the suspension.

Plus you get funny looks on the highway when it happens at 60 mph.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 10:36:28 AM EDT

Brian

DEATH WOBBLE

Death wobble is usually very easy to fix.

Not all lifted TJ's get death wobble, and not all YJ/CJ get axle wrap.

But it's usually easier to deal with death wobble.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:15:21 PM EDT

Brian

DEATH WOBBLE

My '79 CJ-7, '85 Toyota 4wd P/U (bone stock except for 30x9.50 tires and Rancho shocks), '96 Dodge 2500 4wd 360 V8 have all experienced death wobble - it's not just a coil/4 link phenomenom.  My mom's '94 Grand Cherokee has never had a DW problem.

Brian

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:31:55 AM EDT
Jeeps even had IFS back in the '60s. Oh teh noes!

Not to put to fine a point on it, But they had that in the late 40' s.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:34:14 PM EDT
I had death wobble, it was a worn lower trackbar bushing that fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 1:21:53 PM EDT
I have a 1987 YJ.  With stock suspension I had 31x10.5's on it with no problems at all, not even any rubbing.  However, I wanted a little more, so I put the 1.5" Black Diamond suspension kit under it (kit includes springs, shocks, U-bolts, and tranny drop bars, which I did not use).  I then replaced all of the body mounts with a Daystar 1" kit.  I did get a total of 2.5 inches out of it, and now have room for 33x12.5 tires, if I ever get the money for them.  As I said, I did not need the tranny drop nor did I need an SYE.  I wasn't looking to raise it so high that I would need a step ladder... I just wanted something a little more than what I had.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:42:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MC_Man:
I just wanted something a little more than what I had.

I said the same thing when I put my Rusty's 2" spring lift on, and now  I am wanting to get a 4" suspension lift! Looking at the Full Traction Ultimate 4" SA kit with a tri-link rear. But my D35 needs to go first, and do a D44 in the rear and regear to 4:88 to run 33-35's.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:54:04 PM EDT

I said the same thing when I put my Rusty's 2" spring lift on, and now  I am wanting to get a 4" suspension lift! Looking at the Full Traction Ultimate 4" SA kit with a tri-link rear. But my D35 needs to go first, and do a D44 in the rear and regear to 4:88 to run 33-35's.

A Ford 8.8 from an Explorer will work just fine (and be cheaper) and you can probably get disc brakes at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:27:25 AM EDT

A Ford 8.8 from an Explorer will work just fine (and be cheaper) and you can probably get disc brakes at the same time.

I won't waste my time or money on an 8.8. I can't do fab work, and the 8.8 is offset and has tube issues.
Heck, for about the same price of the 8.8 all set and geared, I can get a NIB d44, or maybe an aftermarket 9".

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:52:13 AM EDT

I won't waste my time or money on an 8.8. I can't do fab work, and the 8.8 is offset and has tube issues.
Heck, for about the same price of the 8.8 all set and geared, I can get a NIB d44, or maybe an aftermarket 9".

Latest quote I saw on a new D44 was ~$2800.  Made me glad my Rubi won't be needing it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:40:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 11:41:29 AM EDT by Krochus]
Originally Posted By rob78:

Latest quote I saw on a new D44 was ~$2800. Made me glad my Rubi won't be needing it.

Yep that's why I'm doing my own 9" swap as we speak. The 8.8 and the D44 are unquestionably stronger then the D35 but to me they;re still not enough of an upgrade for me to want to go through the trouble of swapping one in. I can build this 9" with 31 spline aftermarket axles, a spool and gears for less than a Detroit, or even the boneyard axle would cost for the D44 or 8.8 and have the convince of a dropout  3rd and no c clips.

I'm so glad I have access to the equipment being employed in the structural steel industry (fitter welder) so can do my own fab work. It would suck to be stuck modifying my jeep purely at the retail level
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:07:41 PM EDT
Yep that's why I'm doing my own 9" swap as we speak. The 8.8 and the D44 are unquestionably stronger then the D35 but to me they;re still not enough of an upgrade for me to want to go through the trouble of swapping one in. I can build this 9" with 31 spline aftermarket axles, a spool and gears for less than a Detroit, or even the boneyard axle would cost for the D44 or 8.8 and have the convince of a dropout  3rd and no c clips.

I'm so glad I have access to the equipment being employed in the structural steel industry (fitter welder) so can do my own fab work. It would suck to be stuck modifying my jeep purely at the retail level

Aftermarket Hi-pinion or stock center section?  Are you going to run into u-joint angle problems due to lift/drive shaft length/low pinion carrier?

Brian

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:52:20 PM EDT

Latest quote I saw on a new D44 was ~$2800.  Made me glad my Rubi won't be needing it.

I can a front or rear new, geared how I want, with ARBs for $1800. I could go with G2 axles for @ $2700 for the rear with alloy shafts, and all the other goodies, with ARB. The front is $3000.

Or just step up to D60s. But that isn't in the picture.

If I knew anyone who could weld, I'd probably look for a junkyard D44. But since I don't, new is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:55:58 PM EDT

Latest quote I saw on a new D44 was ~$2800. Made me glad my Rubi won't be needing it.

Well, not really. I mean, yea, I gotta figure out how to pay for my upgrades, but That crap of 'built not bought' only goes so far. I can't do fab work, so  Ieither buy something already fabbed, or pay someone to fab it. And now a days, with the major companies, it's easier to buy something already fabbed.

I do need to look into a prebuilt 9" though. If I hit the lotto, it will be D60's on a LCG  by way of the AEV Highline kit.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:10:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 6:18:06 PM EDT by fp1201]

I knew exactly what it is/was, By the design of the badge, I'd say  60's & 70's vintage.
Maby the "Jeep" CJ or otherwise was the Company's mainstay, but the built one hell of a truck too!
I was truly saddened to see the last of the full sized trucks disappear in the mid eighty's.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:29:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fp1201:

I knew exactly what it is/was, By the design of the badge, I'd say  60's & 70's vintage.
Maby the "Jeep" CJ or otherwise was the Company's mainstay, but the built one hell of a truck too!
I was truly saddened to see the last of the full sized trucks disappear in the mid eighty's.  

'73. The avatar is from Google, but its the exact same set as on my J2000 I posted on the previous page.

They also built some damn fine full size SUVs, in the fullsize widetrack Cherokees and Wagoneers.

Last of the J-Trucks was '88, last of the Grand Waggys '91, last of the full size Cherokees '84.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:55:39 PM EDT

I can a front or rear new, geared how I want, with ARBs for $1800. I could go with G2 axles for @ $2700 for the rear with alloy shafts, and all the other goodies, with ARB. The front is $3000.

If I knew anyone who could weld, I'd probably look for a junkyard D44. But since I don't, new is the only way to go.

What's not included in the $1800 price - sounds awfully low for an ARB equipped axle?

Brian

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:42:33 PM EDT

What's not included in the $1800 price - sounds awfully low for an ARB equipped axle?

Brian

It's Jeep Parts Are Us. But, alas, Brian is correct. The $1800 D44 is with the true track. The cart adds $300 for the ARB when selected. I apparently need to read the details a little more.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:30:14 AM EDT

Aftermarket Hi-pinion or stock center section?  Are you going to run into u-joint angle problems due to lift/drive shaft length/low pinion carrier?

Brian

Stock.....for now.  I'm not expecting any problems with my small 2.5" lift and my SYE..  I prolly won't even have as much drive line angle as I would with  4" lift on a  D35

Now if I was SOA on big springs then yes the oprion of a stock center section would be out the window
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top