Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked it up on a whim when I read a signature on a forum asking "Who is John Galt"
of course I was also in high school and never bothered to actually work in class so I had time to read it.

not the most entertaining book, not the easiest to read, however, it rates right up there with Robert Heinlens ' Starship Troopers"  IMO

those two books are both cornerstones of how I have learned to look at the world
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a bunch of things highlighted and dog-eared in my copy.  Read it all, page to page.  You'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well vito, I'm not gonna read that until I know exactly what it is.

Is that a spoiler - ala Cliff's Notes?

The "aboutSpudworks" page is kinda lacking in detail as indicated by the title.

1100 pages of interminable waffle condensed into 1.

Basic premise of the book? Ayn Rand wants to be screwed by rich dudes.

Perfect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
"Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical. But, then, I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of shit, I will never read again!"
––Officer Barbrady, Comedy Channel's South Park (the "Chicken Lover" episode)

This
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm currently reading The Fountainhead.  So far I'm enjoying it...and as the son of an architect the design ideas are certainly interesting.

Howard Roark certainly sticks to his ideals, I'll say that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IMHO, if you want to read some Ayn Rand, start with The Fountainhead.

I agree.  If you are going to bother with Rand, you have to start with The Fountainhead.  It will whet your appetite for more of her philosophy.

What I can completely agree with is her stance on religion, and subsequently in principle her basic axiom, a=a.  Human nature is what separates her naivety on reality, both economically and spiritually.  Rational expectations can only carry you so far, and as far as religion is concerned, irrationality knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged about five minutes ago. Finally. It's taken me months to get through.

Am I the only one who feels that Eddie Willers got screwed?

ETA:

What happens to Eddie Willers at the end of the novel?

http://www.noblesoul.com/orc/books/rand/atlas/faq.html#Q5.2
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Audiobook. And don't stop till you're finished.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't quite enjoy the Fountainhead, and ended up leaving it about 1/3 unfinished.  There are some ideas and principles in that book that are absent in AS.  For one, the idea that in order to sustain yourself and making a living that you must first ask permission from the government or from your competing peers is inherently wrong.  I have immense disdain of the idea that you must first have some sort of license to practice your chosen profession.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/articleimages/wong/aynrand/arflowchart2copy.png

Somewhere, I heard there was some rape in this book.

Not particularly interested in reading that.

By definition it wasn't rape since Dagney consented....more like angry sex.

Spoiler: I'm specifically referring to the scene when when Hank Reardon banged Dagney's brains out after she admitted to being in love with Francisco when she was in her teens/early twenties and subsequently Hank bitch slapped Francisco.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]
good read but damn it seems to drag on forever in some parts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm just over half way through the paperback right now. It is a slow, hard read, but I've found myself not wanting to put it down.

Oddly, I'm starting to see parallels between the worst case events portrayed in the book and real life.

I'll be back to read the Cliff Notes post on page one when I'm done.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#13]
It's probably the most important book written in the 20th century. I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well damn.

I've read quite a few reviews of her book, but have yet to read a review like that.

+1

There's too much truly great, clasic literature out there to waste time on this book.

Political philosophies should be able to be stated concisely. AS is padded with way too much drivel.

And though her thoughts have merit in a political/economic realm, she was an awful human being.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Like most things it's got good and bad.  The bad is that some parts just drag on forever and some of the speeches are just insanely repetitive and long and I frankly never gave a shit about Dagney's love interests with angular men.  On the other hand it's nearly impossible not to see the parallels in where we are headed with society.  Wasn't it just yesterday some member of the EU proposed that vacations are a human right to be funded by those that work for those that are needy?

I did the audio book so I could listen to it on the way to work each morning and some of my camping trips.  I don't think her philosophy is 100% right but then I haven't found anyone's I do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well damn.

I've read quite a few reviews of her book, but have yet to read a review like that.

+1

There's too much truly great, clasic literature out there to waste time on this book.

Political philosophies should be able to be stated concisely. AS is padded with way too much drivel.

And though her thoughts have merit in a political/economic realm, she was an awful human being.

Atlas Shrug is a fictitious book, with a story line based around her philosophical beliefs and highlights what happens when we cast away the individual and replace it with some version of collectivism.  

Rand has numerous non-fiction books and essays that are much more concise.  You should read them, and again, your assertion that she was an awful human being has no merit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO, if you want to read some Ayn Rand, start with The Fountainhead.

That's what the lady at the bookstore said.

They had a boxed set of Atlas and Fountain, but I chose just to buy Atlas.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I picked it up on a whim when I read a signature on a forum asking "Who is John Galt"
of course I was also in high school and never bothered to actually work in class so I had time to read it.

not the most entertaining book, not the easiest to read, however, it rates right up there with Robert Heinlens ' Starship Troopers"  IMO
those two books are both cornerstones of how I have learned to look at the world

That's one heck of a recommendation.

Of all the books I've reread, Starship has been read the most number of times.  ETA:  thinking about it, I may have read it more complete times than various editions of the Bible.

Interesting also your comment in blue - this was mentioned on the previous page.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Yes, at first I was happy to be learning how to read. It seemed exciting and magical. But, then, I read this: Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I read every last word of this garbage, and because of this piece of shit, I will never read again!"
––Officer Barbrady, Comedy Channel's South Park (the "Chicken Lover" episode)

This

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged about five minutes ago. Finally. It's taken me months to get through.

Might take me just as long.

I generally have a couple books going, so I'm trying to whittle them down so just Atlas is being read.

Well, at least (it appears) Eddie stays in the plot from page 1 until the end.

I read the first few pages this morning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Political philosophies should be able to be stated concisely.

No they shouldn't and aren't. That is why we use metaphor.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have immense disdain of the idea that you must first have some sort of license to practice your chosen profession.

I gotta sit through a 4 hour Continuing Education class this evening to renew my TX State electrical license.

A topic of great discussion yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well damn.

+1

Atlas Shrug is a fictitious book, with a story line based around her philosophical beliefs and highlights what happens when we cast away the individual and replace it with some version of collectivism.  

Rand has numerous non-fiction books and essays that are much more concise.  You should read them, and again, your assertion that she was an awful human being has no merit.

Gotta admit I'm not a great fan of all the philosophical stuff.

I understand the topic is extremely important, but I always start to zone out when reading it.

Interesting to read the opposing views - thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My wife agrees with you about Eddie. I think the purpose of his character was to show how those who fail to adapt will end up no matter how well intentioned they are.

Yes it's a long read. Yes there is a lot of repetition. Yes Rand herself held very different views on society and sexuality than most people.

All that being said, I think it is an important work not just for the philosophical point of view she espouses, but for the reactions she raises from the reader. You won't find many lukewarm opinions of Atlas Shrugged.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried to read it several times. Couldn't get through the unnecessary drivel. I found a Cliff's notes version online that was several pages long. Even that was boring as hell.
Why read someone elses opinion if I'm not going to change my own? Especially so when we already share the same opinion.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why read someone elses opinion if I'm not going to change my own? Especially so when we already share the same opinion.

Well, can't argue with that.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

[div]Political philosophies should be able to be stated concisely.

Objectivism is more than just a political philosophy. Atlas Shrugged wasn't intended to be a cut and dry presentation of philosophy. It was intended to be a great novel.

Rand wrote quite a number of non-fiction books about her philosophy. Those may be what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just read it. I think you'll find that it goes fast. Some parts go faster than others, but the story's moves. Most important novel I ever read.

See, this is what intrigues me.

You say "most important novel I ever read."

Well, a novel is fiction.

Granted I've read some interesting fiction novels, but I wouldn't call any the most important.

Then, there appears to be an uncanny relationship between her book's theme and events happening today.

I'm curious.

One could say that the book was cathartic for me.
Ayn Rand put into words what I had been seeing (and thinking) for years.
I always observed economics with a basic understanding that math is finite, and you cant turn nothing into something, at least not without magic. She wraps a philosophy around that basic foundation and presents it in a way that inspires the logical mind.

In a world of excuses, irresponsibility, lack of fundamental knowledge, and in general, a societal migration toward the lowest common denominator, 'Atlas' spoke to me...told me that I wasn't some loner thinking esoteric thoughts...in fact there were others who observed what I saw, and agreed with the opinions I had formed based upon my observations.

It's fiction...and it should be taken as such, but to read it during our time and NOT see the correlation with current events is to clutch to denial as though it were ones security blanket.

Read it...just let the story hit you.
Then look around...and you begin to recognize that what we are seeing today is just another remake of a story that has been retold generation after generation...society after society...progressively getting closer to the crux of the novel...a government without capability, logical function, or ability to sustain itself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just read it. I think you'll find that it goes fast. Some parts go faster than others, but the story's moves. Most important novel I ever read.

Granted I've read some interesting fiction novels, but I wouldn't call any the most important.

Then, there appears to be an uncanny relationship between her book's theme and events happening today.

I'm curious.

I always observed economics with a basic understanding that math is finite, and you cant turn nothing into something, at least not without magic. She wraps a philosophy around that basic foundation and presents it in a way that inspires the logical mind.

In a world of excuses, irresponsibility, lack of fundamental knowledge, and in general, a societal migration toward the lowest common denominator, 'Atlas' spoke to me...told me that I wasn't some loner thinking esoteric thoughts...in fact there were others who observed what I saw, and agreed with the opinions I had formed based upon my observations.

It's fiction...and it should be taken as such, but to read it during our time and NOT see the correlation with current events is to clutch to denial as though it were ones security blanket.

Then look around...and you begin to recognize that what we are seeing today is just another remake of a story that has been retold generation after generation...society after society...progressively getting closer to the crux of the novel...a government without capability, logical function, or ability to sustain itself.

Great reply - thanks.

I was wondering if you were gonna get back here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
No need to take notes. It is written simple and clear enough that you cannot miss it.

Also, it is not really 1100 pages, really more like 700.
Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious.

Great reply - thanks.

I was wondering if you were gonna get back here.

Saw your post earlier today on my phone but there was no way I could reply in a manner that would accurately address your question with a 1x3" keyboard (waited until I had a real computer to respond from)
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone else think Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth) got into Ayn Rand mode towards the end of the series (starting right before Chainfire)?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top