BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well aside from Mr. NIpples, I just want to know whay they don't just end it like you would a deer or Elk?

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oibNvAbtpc

Pursuit hunting. Great. Most people put a bullet through the heart now.

My questions has been answered. I was unclear if they were taking all that trouble to just slit their throats, which seems nuts to me. They will be sold to game farms.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious, but what is the sense of pulling them out of the trap live? It would seem easier to just shoot the bigger ones. I saw this on that program "Hog Wild" where they trap them or run them down with dogs. Seems easier to get them in a pen and then have a field day. Not very quiet, but there are ways to take care of that.

Why put the animal through all of that? Trap it, drag it out, tie it up, slit the throat.... just shoot the damn things and end it.

Some guys I know will feed them corn, grain or whatever for a few weeks to fatten 'em up and they say it improves the taste/flavor of the meat. We kill a bunch here every year on one of our deer leases, usually get the backstrap/tenderloins/hams and let the coyotes and critters have the rest.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, but what is the sense of pulling them out of the trap live? It would seem easier to just shoot the bigger ones. I saw this on that program "Hog Wild" where they trap them or run them down with dogs. Seems easier to get them in a pen and then have a field day. Not very quiet, but there are ways to take care of that.

Why put the animal through all of that? Trap it, drag it out, tie it up, slit the throat.... just shoot the damn things and end it.

Some guys I know will feed them corn, grain or whatever for a few weeks to fatten 'em up and they say it improves the taste/flavor of the meat. We kill a bunch here every year on one of our deer leases, usually get the backstrap/tenderloins/hams and let the coyotes and critters have the rest.

Living out west the thought of a game farm never entered into my mind. It is an alien concept out here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:59:47 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of knives were used?

You mentioned a backup pistol, what was it?

I'm gonna go out in a few weeks to see if I can kill any hogs I find locally and am just curious as to what you guys used...
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ponyboy, you're a wild man.

Ed Sr. has wanted to kill a hog with a knife for years, but I don't think he's ever gotten it done.  Why don't you and he go with these gentlemen?  That way he gets his jollies and you can do a "Hog Knives Box-O-Truth."  
They make all terrain Hoverounds?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thank God you're not doing this to dogs or squirrels, GD would have a fucking melt down...

Lol my exact thought. A squirrel gets tossed in a pond to drown in seconds, these hogs are fucked with for what looks like a good twenty minutes.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Those guys are stacking up some bad karma.

I'm sure the landowners will take that burden for them.
These things are a scourge. They are highly mobile bulldozers that destroy crops, pastures and seriously degrade people's livelihood. And they reproduce like rabbits.
If it helps your sensibilities, they reproduce FAR faster than they are eliminated.

I'm not against killing them. I'm for doing that in a humane manner.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What kind of knives were used?

This is the knife that I use.

A couple of weeks ago Cold Steel was gracious enough to send us one of their Boar Hunter knives to use and review. We're going to try it out this weekend.

You mentioned a backup pistol, what was it?

I'm gonna go out in a few weeks to see if I can kill any hogs I find locally and am just curious as to what you guys used...

Randy carries a Ruger .45 but to my knowledge it's never been needed.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ponyboy, you're a wild man.

Ed Sr. has wanted to kill a hog with a knife for years, but I don't think he's ever gotten it done.  Why don't you and he go with these gentlemen?  That way he gets his jollies and you can do a "Hog Knives Box-O-Truth."  

I've tried to talk O_P into going with us but for whatever reason he doesn't seem too enthused with the idea. If Ed wants to go then we can get him on the hogs, he just needs to get his old ass down here.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you don't like what we're doing and you think we're being inhumane then you're officially not invited to ever go with us. Hopefully that will allow you to rest easier tonight.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The reason we don't kill them? Dead hogs aren't worth any money.

Interesting, learn something new everyday.  In Alabama, you're not allowed to transport live feral hogs under pain of death, or thereabouts - hence the question.

I know that TRG kept one of his caught piglets and turned it into 200 lbs of pork meat and lard.

Got any more awesome videos?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason we don't kill them? Dead hogs aren't worth any money.

Interesting, learn something new everyday.

Got anymore awesome videos?

We've got several awesome ones that will be out soon and several more on our YouTube channel and site.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief, folks are acting like they are kittens or something. these things are snouted rats and need to be eliminated. Pen'em, poke'em, shoot'em, stab'em, who gives a fuck as long as they die?

The PETA runs strong here.  Sadly.

Ponyboy, thanks for posting and clarifying.  

The only issue I take with the OP is that he has in the past "gone PETA" on trophy hunting specifically giraffes.  The height of hypocrisy in my opinion especially when take the relatively primitive nature of his preferred sport.

Pot Kettle all that stuff
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good grief, folks are acting like they are kittens or something. these things are snouted rats and need to be eliminated. Pen'em, poke'em, shoot'em, stab'em, who gives a fuck as long as they die?

The only issue I take with the OP is that he has in the past "gone PETA" on trophy hunting specifically giraffes.  The height of hypocrisy in my opinion especially when take the relatively primitive nature of his preferred sport.

I didn't "go PETA" on anybody, I just asked what the fun was in shooting a giraffe. You're a fucking liar.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a lady here that buys the pigs and then sells the meat.
I'm needing to buy a few traps.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool videos.

Thanks. It's always a fun time making them.

Make em in 720p

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The PETA runs strong here. Sadly.

The only issue I take with the OP is that he has in the past "gone PETA" on trophy hunting specifically giraffes. The height of hypocrisy in my opinion especially when take the relatively primitive nature of his preferred sport.

I didn't "go PETA" on anybody, I just asked what the fun was in shooting a giraffe. You're a fucking liar.

Now it's gettin good...
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Serious question, I have heard that you cannot eat some of these hogs for some reason? Is that true?

Heard it here, for what it's worth. lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Pony Boy is good people, A couple of years ago he took my son along on a hog hunt when my son was home on leave.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool videos.

Thanks. It's always a fun time making them.

Make em in 720p

Originals are in at least 720p. We render them into files that don't take 7 hours to upload.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Great videos  Ponyboy.  

Looks like loads of fun and good  BBQ too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I might've seen it wrong on the vid (?) but, why not just cut their throats?

We always did it that way it was pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Serious question, I have heard that you cannot eat some of these hogs for some reason? Is that true?

I wouldn't want to eat a large boar. They stink , we just leave them lay.
They are a serious problem here .
I have permission to hunt a neighbors field he has 40 to 60 every morning and night.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We've got hogs in the past that were covered in sores underneath the skin. It's not uncommon to find a puss pocket here and there because these are tough animals that go through the thickest of the thick parts of the woods and they get splinters and cuts, etc. We'll just cut around those parts if we're cleaning it but if it's covered up in them then we toss it.

Other than that, we'll eat any of them. The bigger ones we'll grind all into sausage except the back straps.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We've got hogs in the past that were covered in sores underneath the skin. It's not uncommon to find a puss pocket here and there because these are tough animals that go through the thickest of the thick parts of the woods and they get splinters and cuts, etc. We'll just cut around those parts if we're cleaning it but if it's covered up in them then we toss it.

Other than that, we'll eat any of them. The bigger ones we'll grind all into sausage except the back straps.

Ok, so it was true, just was missing the relevent info.

For the record, I have no issues with hunting, like many here. I do have an issue with people that kill animals just to fucking kill them (exepting population control, necessary evil), especially if it is done cruely. There have been quite a few asshats here in the past that have bragged about being a fucking douche, so I think that is where the reaction comes from.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pony Boy is good people, A couple of years ago he took my son along on a hog hunt when my son was home on leave.

Thanks again!

No problem. That day was also the closest I've ever got to getting my truck stuck.

We've got some new spots out there that you can only reach by 4-wheeler (if you don't want to be out hiking all day) and if he ever wants to go again then we'll put him on the hogs there. Will have to wait till it dries up a bit cause it's probably impossible to get there now with all of this rain we've had.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#33]
One of those little ones sure would roast up good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Stabbing it in the heart with an 11" knife is pretty quick, it's dead within 10 seconds. Cutting their throats would be extremely dangerous for the dogs.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to Giraffe Thread

You started that thread specifically to call out Trophy giraffe hunters.  You can pretend that you started that thread to "learn" but thats bullshit, you want to learn go to the safari forum, you came to GD to shit on Girafffe hunting.  Sorry if me bringing that to light upsets you.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Link to Giraffe Thread

You started that thread specifically to call out Trophy giraffe hunters.  You can pretend that you started that thread to "learn" but thats bullshit, you want to learn go to the safari forum, you came to GD to shit on Girafffe hunting.  Sorry if me bringing that to light upsets you.  

I started that thread because a buddy of mine that sells African hunts sent me a bunch of pictures and everything looked fun to hunt except giraffes.

It was far from a PETA thread.

I'm not upset, but you are a liar. Do you need further explanation?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to Giraffe Thread

I started that thread because a buddy of mine that sells African hunts sent me a bunch of pictures and everything looked fun to hunt except giraffes.

Curious (haven't read the thread, just tagged it for later), but WTF is this?––

But seriously, what's the point?

Why does there have to be a "point" to killing animals?  Who would decide a particular "point" is valid?  I honestly don't get your question.  If you've already answered in the thread I will read it there, and if you simply don't care to answer it, NBD, but I really am curious about this "point" thing.  

I just wanted to know why it would be fun to kill a giraffe since they're paying a lot of money to do it. I don't care that they do it just curious what they get out of it. I wasn't trying to put anyone down, it just doesn't seem fun to me but I knew there had to be more to it since a lot of people kill them.

Hence, "Seriously, what's the point?".

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#39]
There's not much I wouldn't do to do what you do everyday Ponyboy. You my man have the life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stabbing it in the heart with an 11" knife is pretty quick, it's dead within 10 seconds. Cutting their throats would be extremely dangerous for the dogs.

Gotch'a.  We always strung ours up (so we could bleed 'em out into a pan).
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to Giraffe Thread

Whats the point...

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again!

No problem. That day was also the closest I've ever got to getting my truck stuck.

We've got some new spots out there that you can only reach by 4-wheeler (if you don't want to be out hiking all day) and if he ever wants to go again then we'll put him on the hogs there. Will have to wait till it dries up a bit cause it's probably impossible to get there now with all of this rain we've had.

I'll tell him, thanks!  Maybe I'll try to come along next time.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]
First of all, cool videos. If you ever need help hunting those things give me a holler. Now, on to my rant.

Who cares if the man doesn't think shooting giraffes is a good idea/fun/whatever? Does it really matter?

I wouldn't want to shoot a giraffe. Mostly because I think they're cool. And also because it seems like it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

HOWEVER

Hunting hogs IS different. Have you ever had a giraffe destroy your back yard, kill your pets, gore your livestock, destroy a brand new pair of pants (lol, I was wearing them too), spread disease, compete with native species, and all around be nasty on property that belongs to you or is under your care? No? Well who would have thought.

And WTF do you naysayers want from this guy? He kills the hogs? OH NO! He keeps them alive? INHUMANE! Seriously people!!!!

IN SUMMARY GIRAFFE DOES NOT EQUAL HOG. GET OVER YOURSELF.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to Giraffe Thread

Curious (haven't read the thread, just tagged it for later), but WTF is this?––

But seriously, what's the point?

Why does there have to be a "point" to killing animals?  Who would decide a particular "point" is valid?  I honestly don't get your question.  If you've already answered in the thread I will read it there, and if you simply don't care to answer it, NBD, but I really am curious about this "point" thing.  

I just wanted to know why it would be fun to kill a giraffe since they're paying a lot of money to do it. I don't care that they do it just curious what they get out of it. I wasn't trying to put anyone down, it just doesn't seem fun to me but I knew there had to be more to it since a lot of people kill them.

Hence, "Seriously, what's the point?".

So what would your reaction be if someone linked your pictures of a hog used as a knife sheath and asked "What's the point"  

I have no quarrel with hog hunters or any hunter who takes game by any means permitted by law. You want to drive a herd of cute fuzzy bunnies off a cliff?  As long as you are within the game laws I could give a shit.  You apparently do not feel the same way about trophy hunting.  Thus the reason you are a hypocrite.  

Segmentation and the holier than thou attitude that a lot of hunter have these days will kill hunting faster then PETA ever could hope to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder how giraffe tastes....

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder how giraffe tastes....

Taste like Opulence
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Be a man and chase one down on foot and kill it with your bare hands. Knives are for pussies. (pig must weigh as much as you to count)
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't like what we're doing and you think we're being inhumane then you're officially not invited to ever go with us. Hopefully that will allow you to rest easier tonight.

No problem here, I tend to avoid inbred rednecks & I rest easy every night.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem here, I tend to avoid inbred rednecks & I rest easy every night.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

So what would your reaction be if someone linked your pictures of a hog used as a knife sheath and asked "What's the point"  

I'd answer the question. I enjoy doing it and it's a huge rush, not to mention we help out landowners and make money doing it. I wouldn't drone on about how often the meat goes to those that really need it, even though that's what happens many times it has nothing to do with the reason that it do it, it just happens to be one of the good outcomes.

I have no quarrel with hog hunters or any hunter who takes game by any means permitted by law. You want to drive a herd of cute fuzzy bunnies off a cliff?  As long as you are within the game laws I could give a shit.  You apparently do not feel the same way about trophy hunting.  Thus the reason you are a hypocrite.

Hahaha. You don't know anything about me, but you sure like to pretend that you do. I also find it slightly flattering that you're so concerned with what I think might or might not be fun. I guess I'm more important that I thought.

I've already said repeatedly that I don't care who kills what but obviously you still haven't got the hint, so I'll make it a little clearer.

I.....D.O.N.T........C.A.R.E......W.H.O......K.I.L.L.S......W.H.A.T...

Segmentation and the holier than thou attitude that a lot of hunter have these days will kill hunting faster then PETA ever could hope to.

Ok

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top