User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My son flies the B-1b. He does not talk about it or it's performance much. Maybe he can't. But this is for sure...it is one awesome machine.
I don't see video of a B-52 or B-2 doing a barrell roll. Down low and fast it's catch me if you can.

A B-52 would never recover from a barrel roll

There is a difference between a barrel roll and an aileron roll.  A barrel roll typically gets a few Gs during the maneuver whereas an aileron roll you don't (pretty much a 1 G maneuver).  A barrel roll is rolling the aircraft around a point on the horizon, a point that is to the 10 o clock or 2 o clock.  During a barrel roll you are changing pull pressures and sometimes your roll rate.  An aileron roll is rolling the longitudinal axis of the aircraft.  An aileron roll is typically a less "aggressive" manuever where you roll the stick in one direction quickly and hold it there until you are wings level again.  I say less aggressive because the aircraft tracks in the same direction the entire time and there is less that can go wrong with an aileron roll.  With that said, if you are very careful, you could perform a 1 G barrel roll.

It appeared the roll exectued by the B-1 at 2:25 of the OP's video was an aileron roll.  

Oh, Tex Johnston barrel rolled a Boeing 707 prototype.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son flies the B-1b. He does not talk about it or it's performance much. Maybe he can't. But this is for sure...it is one awesome machine.

I don't see video of a B-52 or B-2 doing a barrell roll. Down low and fast it's catch me if you can.

There is a difference between a barrel roll and an aileron roll.  A barrel roll typically gets a few Gs during the maneuver whereas an aileron roll you don't (pretty much a 1 G maneuver).  A barrel roll is rolling the aircraft around a point on the horizon, a point that is to the 10 o clock or 2 o clock.  During a barrel roll you are changing pull pressures and sometimes your roll rate.  An aileron roll is rolling the longitudinal axis of the aircraft.  An aileron roll is typically a less "aggressive" manuever where you roll the stick in one direction quickly and hold it there until you are wings level again.  I say less aggressive because the aircraft tracks in the same direction the entire time and there is less that can go wrong with an aileron roll.  With that said, if you are very careful, you could perform a 1 G barrel roll.

It appeared the roll exectued by the B-1 at 2:25 of the OP's video was an aileron roll.  
So you think you could roll your E-3?  As long as you keep it 1-1.5G or so your rotodome should stay on.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one turn into a lawn dart just to the north of Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX.
He was doing pattern work, and on his last touch-n-go there was a 50 ft sheet
of flame coming from his wing root.

Turns out, a fuel line had ruptured.  Anyway, he turned to the North, and we thought
he would try to bring it around and land, but he decided to head to a sparsly populated
area.  We watched the four crewmembers eject safely, then it nosed straight down.

Expensive fireworks show.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
<Snip>Oh, Tex Johnston barrel rolled a Boeing 707 prototype.

Video?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Video?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I lived 1/4 mile from the runway at Grand Forks while the B1s were there.  Me and my oldest (3 at the time) would walk down to the fence line to see them take off.  We couldn't keep pictures straight on the wall and had to leave rattlespace between the dishes in the cupboard, because when those monsters would take off, the entire house would shake.  We lost three glasses broken in the cabinet before we figured out what was going on.  

It's a 146ft-long fighter aircraft with a crew of four.  Amazing aircraft.

That is one problem I would fucking LOVE to have!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_khhzuFlE

Impressive
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've seen B1 Bombers in pictures before, and to me they never looked very big.  Deep in my brain somewhere I knew it was a big aircraft, but pictures make it look fast and sleek so I just felt it was a small plane.  

Than I saw one in person, that thing is huge!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This man brought back the Bone.

http://pubrecord.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ronald_reagan.jpg

While the douche bag before him killed it.

And the current douche bag wants to kill it again.  
-K

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you think you could roll your E-3?  As long as you keep it 1-1.5G or so your rotodome should stay on.  

It would probably end up being my fini flight.  

But I have done it in the sim.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the VTEC kicked in!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The B1 is a large reason why my ears ring 24 hours a day and I cannot hear shit.  

fwiw, they were giant fod queens who were a pita to build munitions for.  Up until the late 90's, the parts were crazy expensive.  The bolts that held the chaff and flare racks in place.  Were over $100 each.  I cannot recall how many bolts it took, but IIRC it was around a dozen.  

I was told at the time, that the parts were so expensive because the b1 platform was originally nuke only.  After the cold war, they converted to conventional.  

I was able to get in on the first go around for the JDAM and the CBU97 when it was being converted for use on the B1B.  I still have a coffee cup that the JDAM guys gave me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#13]
$100 fastener is nothing in the aviation world.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone find the video of the b1 dropping that big bomb on the rag heads on top of the mountain... I still remember it!!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top