BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much going on economy-wise. Kind of dead in the water with a few local companies that provide jobs (like Ruger). LOTS of great road and mtn cycling. While ARFCOM and the rest of the US may hate us, AZ tends to be pretty cyclist friendly in my experience. There is a big mountain bike race in april every year called The Whiskey 50 thats always a blast.

Its small townish. Weather's real decent, good riding.

Check out Flagstaff if you do rental properties. Far better road and mountain biking, alot more going on in the town, and the NAU is growing, so if you're a rental property guy theres a large transient(student) population and thus high demand for a lot of rentals. Only downside is they have real winter. It snows there.

If you're looking for a quiet little place to retire, where nothing ever happens, Prescott. If you're looking for a nice little city/town with some culture and a younger scene, check out Flag.
View Quote

2 different times I've been in the Prescott area when either it snowed or just had snowed.... But it doesn't stick around for long....

That's 2 out of 5 trips there....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful country.

Whiskey row is fun. The Palace is awesome.

Downdown Prescott is old enough that the roads were designed for model T's. It does not look like a safe place to ride a bike.

Prescott, while cheaper than Sedona, is extremely expensive. I don't know about the suburbs or the run down rural areas.

Arizona has illegals. Arizona has Mexican accented US citizens who's ancestors settled here when it was a Spanish territory. If you dislike Mexican culture or Mexican food, no part of Arizona is for you.

Economically, I don't know what there  really is to do. Down town Prescott was originally the place rich people in Phoenix and Tucson bought a second house since it is cooler in the summer.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My bro lives out there. If you can deal with the meth heads, rednecks, freezing cold winters, and super hot fucking summers, it's the place for you

Seriously though, I like it as a place to visit, would never live there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm partial to the Williamson Valley/Outer Loop Road area.
View Quote

We may be neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
... Perkinsville Road AZHTF shoots FTMFW!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My bro lives out there. If you can deal with the meth heads, rednecks, freezing cold winters, and super hot fucking summers, it's the place for you

Seriously though, I like it as a place to visit, would never live there.
View Quote

Welcome to Prescott, leave your money & go home..............
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We may be neighbors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We may be neighbors.

What I really wanted was a place in Raven's Guard..........
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in Prescott and I drive a lifted FJ Cruiser.  The 4x4 opportunites around here are pretty great.  I am out almost every weekend to Sedona, Binghampton or some other locale to do some wheeling.  Prescott is not known for good dining, as most of the restaurants are MEH.  The cost of living is relatively cheap.  The climate is ok.  We are usually 15-20 degrees cooler than phoenix.  Winters aren't bad, occasional snow and cold, but nothing like CO.  Summers are hot, but nothing like Phoenix.  If you like hanging out with people at random events, the Downtown, throughout the summer, host a nightly concert, book reading, karaoke sing along, etc at the courthouse.  Every. Single. Night.

Almost every weekend throughout the summer and some in the winter, there is something going on at the Square in downtown Prescott.  I live up by the Granite Dells and I love it.  There is great short hiking trails all over the place.  The people are friendly, except me, and the crime rate seems pretty low.  There are quite a few retirees around here.

Gun stores are pretty Fudd based.  Honestly, the gun stores here are pretty worthless.

Bucky O'neills blows.  They are a weird bunch.  They don't price most of the guns, so have to look it up on the internet every time you want to know the price.  Irritating as heck
High Country is ok, but they are mostly a fudd store, no parts, nothing really exciting.  They probably have better prices.
The two shops in PV are ok, One has a shooting range, but not a lot of inventory.  The other has inventory, but kind of shady.

The nice thing is, you can drive out of town a few miles and find places to shoot, expecially out towards Skull Valley.

It is a nice mix of Forest, desert, small town atmosphere.  The wheeling isn't as good as Moab, but it has other charms.

Also, Phoenix is 90 min away and Flagstaff is too.  Sedona is an hour and the hiking there is incredible, if not crowded.

If you have any other questions, let me knnow.
View Quote

FUDD STORES? Prescott is home to J&G gun store
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
We have been here just a few months ago and really like it.Wages suck and the speed limit with the shit load of traffic lights will drive you nuts.Sure are a lot of Obama lovers here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We may be neighbors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We may be neighbors.

I wish, it's where I'd live if I could sell my house. Unfortunately, I bought at the height of the market and we are stuck for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Better off going to North Scottsdale since you are not retiring just yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful country.

Downdown Prescott is old enough that the roads were designed for model T's. It does not look like a safe place to ride a bike.

Prescott, while cheaper than Sedona, is extremely expensive. I don't know about the suburbs or the run down rural areas.

Arizona has illegals. Arizona has Mexican accented US citizens who's ancestors settled here when it was a Spanish territory. If you dislike Mexican culture or Mexican food, no part of Arizona is for you.

Economically, I don't know what there  really is to do. Down town Prescott was originally the place rich people in Phoenix and Tucson bought a second house since it is cooler in the summer.
View Quote

This is proof that  being smart and knowing what you are talking about are neither causal nor correlated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I live in Prescott and I drive a lifted FJ Cruiser.  The 4x4 opportunities around here are pretty great.  I am out almost every weekend to Sedona, Binghampton or some other locale to do some wheeling.  Prescott is not known for good dining, as most of the restaurants are MEH.  The cost of living is relatively cheap.  The climate is ok.  We are usually 15-20 degrees cooler than phoenix.  Winters aren't bad, occasional snow and cold, but nothing like CO.  Summers are hot, but nothing like Phoenix.  If you like hanging out with people at random events, the Downtown, throughout the summer, host a nightly concert, book reading, karaoke sing along, etc at the courthouse.  Every. Single. Night.

Almost every weekend throughout the summer and some in the winter, there is something going on at the Square in downtown Prescott.  I live up by the Granite Dells and I love it.  There is great short hiking trails all over the place.  The people are friendly, except me, and the crime rate seems pretty low.  There are quite a few retirees around here.

Gun stores are pretty Fudd based.  Honestly, the gun stores here are pretty worthless.

Bucky O'neills blows.  They are a weird bunch.  They don't price most of the guns, so have to look it up on the internet every time you want to know the price.  Irritating as heck
High Country is ok, but they are mostly a fudd store, no parts, nothing really exciting.  They probably have better prices.
The two shops in PV are ok, One has a shooting range, but not a lot of inventory.  The other has inventory, but kind of shady.

The nice thing is, you can drive out of town a few miles and find places to shoot, especially out towards Skull Valley.

It is a nice mix of Forest, desert, small town atmosphere.  The wheeling isn't as good as Moab, but it has other charms.

Also, Phoenix is 90 min away and Flagstaff is too.  Sedona is an hour and the hiking there is incredible, if not crowded.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
View Quote

I lived in Prescott for almost a year & loved it... Had a nice log cabin in the pine groves not far out of town. Beautiful area.
Anyone know if Coyote Joes Bar & Grill is still open in Prescott?  I used to cook there back in '97 - I actually heard it closed, but had plans to re-open.

I used to love going to the Dells- I did a lot of hiking, mountain biking, swimming in the lakes & I really got into rock climbing there. Granite Dells of Prescott
The more rock climbing i did while living there made me fall in love with the sport & actually started me off with a small business idea when i came back to Maine and I became the owner of an indoor rock climbing gym with a small retail (climbing gear) section... It was a very rewarding career to say the least.

Hey, what is that big rock formation in Prescott called again- where a lot of people hike? It's not far from downtown. And not the Dells...
Here is some good info---> Prescott Trails and more

Prescott is also somewhat of a College town as well. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is there as is Prescott College which is actually a really good & well known school.
There are two other colleges, but i can't recall the names of them...

I'd go back again in a heart beat. Matter of fact when i am able to leave Maine, I will be moving to AZ.
Oh and as for the gun stores being fudd based & worthless, not sure if the one i found was in Prescott, but it wasn't far and they had the most amazing ammo selection I'd ever seen- Then again this is 15yrs ago.
Wish i could remember the name of the shop. They were well known & had a huge selection of everything. And it was a damn cool shop- kind of big too, with an "Old West" design IIRC. Man i wish i could remember the name of it. Pretty sure it wasn't in Prescott but it wasn't more than 20-30mins away... Thumbs up on Prescott, AZ.  

Minus all the "cluckers" - speed freaks- - yet again this was '97-'98

M4-CQBR

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is proof that  being smart and knowing what you are talking about are neither causal nor correlated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down town Prescott was originally the place rich people in Phoenix and Tucson bought a second house since it is cooler in the summer.

Yeah that was kind of dumb.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I lived in Prescott for almost a year & loved it... Had a nice log cabin in the pine groves not far out of town. Beautiful area.
Anyone know if Coyote Joes Bar & Grill is still open in Prescott?  I used to cook there back in '97 - I actually heard it closed, but had plans to re-open.

I used to love going to the Dells- I did a lot of hiking, mountain biking, swimming in the lakes & I really got into rock climbing there. Granite Dells of Prescott
The more rock climbing i did while living there made me fall in love with the sport & actually started me off with a small business idea when i came back to Maine and I became the owner of an indoor rock climbing gym with a small retail (climbing gear) section... It was a very rewarding career to say the least.

Hey, what is that big rock formation in Prescott called again- where a lot of people hike? It's not far from downtown. And not the Dells...

Prescott is also somewhat of a College town as well. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is there as is Prescott College which is actually a really good & well known school.

I'd go back again in a heart beat. Matter of fact when i am able to leave Maine, I will be moving to AZ.
Oh and as for the gun stores being fudd based & worthless, not sure if the one i found was in Prescott, but it wasn't far and they had the most amazing ammo selection I'd ever seen- Then again this is 15yrs ago.
Wish i could remember the name of the shop. They were well known & had a huge selection of everything. And it was a damn cool shop- kind of big too, with an "Old West" design IIRC. Man i wish i could remember the name of it. Pretty sure it wasn't in Prescott but it wasn't more than 20-30mins away... Thumbs up on Prescott, AZ.  

M4-CQBR

View All Quotes
Quoted:
SNIP.

M4-CQBR

CoJo's just re-opened a few months ago after they got all the tax problems and liquor license issues worked out. It's definitely lost some of its charm and the beer selection, which used to be amazing, left a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beautiful country.

I'm not saying Prescott was created for the purpose. I'm saying that lots of people did that. Look at all of the really old, secluded homes. They are pretty small by modern standards, but were creme de la creme in the 1910s and 1920s. Really, Prescott is the most practical place to cool off in the summer if you have the money to do it back in the day. In fact, it still is.

ETA: And I make no claims to being smart. I only claim to be educated.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

M4-CQBR

View All Quotes
Quoted:

M4-CQBR

Thumb Butte?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thumb Butte?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4-CQBR

Thumb Butte?  

Yes brother!!!! Yes...
Thanks man... it was driving me crazy that i couldn't remember because i used to bike / hike up there a lot...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Used to be a nice town before it got invaded by kalifornians/
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make sure you pronounce it press-kit and not press-scot.
View Quote

Crap,
That's what I was gonna post.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Something else to think of, the Yarnell Fire killed 19 firefighters, were they employee's of the city?  

that could be volunteer or paid either way the city is on the hook for the lawsuits that will or have been filed.

Sure the city has insurance, but the city also has assets, and will need insurance once the lawsuits are done, I am sure the insurance rates will go up hugely. How will the city pay for that?

Yes the families will sue the city, county, state, and Forest service and anyone else, but lawsuits cost money.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Something else to think of, the Yarnell Fire killed 19 firefighters, were they employee's of the city?  

that could be volunteer or paid either way the city is on the hook for the lawsuits that will or have been filed.

Sure the city has insurance, but the city also has assets, and will need insurance once the lawsuits are done, I am sure the insurance rates will go up hugely. How will the city pay for that?

Yes the families will sue the city, county, state, and Forest service and anyone else, but lawsuits cost money.
View Quote

Yes, they were city employees and the lawsuits have already started.

I don't think it will affect the city tremendously but someone who is worried about it could just choose to live in PV, Chino, or the County.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top