Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad it not under NYC or LA.
View Quote

Too bad it's not under your mother's house.
View Quote

Actually, most of my family is in NJ  and im presenty stuck in central Cali.  But id still rather see it happen in LA or NYC than at Yellow Stone.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh, yeah, check this out...

[url]http://www.rense.com/general41/yellowstoneupdate.htm[/url]

[party]Happy New year!!![party]

View Quote

The last part is wrong. When the beastie blows CA will be sucked under the tectonic plate to replace the vented magma. No worries.

CW
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it is an SHTF it will only be one for the people around there
View Quote

Actually, not true at all.  The people around it will die instantly, of course.  The rest of us in North America will die gradually over the next year or so.  Those a thousand miles away will die in choking clouds of Hydrogen Sulfide gas, or the fire storm that will be started.  The rest of us will die slowly of starvation as the earth's sky darkens for three to six months, plunging us into an ice age.

Forget the guns, only huge [red]mountain men[/red] of Scottish decent will survive (and only because we are willing to make a coat out of everyone else).  [nana]
View Quote

Anybody tell MM8?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The ground is unstable in areas now , look at this parking lot, one day it was black asphaltr, the next day, a sink hole full of boiling water.
[url]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/IMG_0312.JPG[/url]
View Quote

I was out there this summer and saw a couple parking lots that look like that picture.  There were other attractions partially shut down because the hot springs were bubbling over the walks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ground is unstable in areas now , look at this parking lot, one day it was black asphaltr, the next day, a sink hole full of boiling water.
[url]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/141064/IMG_0312.JPG[/url]
View Quote

That photo could have been taken in Centralia, PA. Is that gonna blow too? Maybe it's part of the Yellowstone system and a Super Mega Volcano?? Is the govenment controlled media keeping this from the people?

'wait... gotta go.
Incoming signal from the Mother Ship.

I think they're
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, I wonder what will kill us first?

An earth-killer asteroid?

A super-volcano?

... or the Stay-Puft marshmallow man?

[img]http://cinemaniacs.virtualave.net/ghostbusters/crowd.jpg[/img]

"Cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!"

[peep]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Now you all know why they called it the dark ages.

A volcano blew up wiping out the whole island in was on.  It was documented by monks. The drawings of before and after as far as the island goes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Frink:[/b] "This is the primary blast zone.  Everyone in this zone will be instantly killed.  People in this zone, which I am sad to say we are in, will experience a slower, more painful death."

[b]Skinner:[/b] "Good lord!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad it not under NYC or LA.
View Quote

Too bad it's not under your mother's house.
View Quote

In NYC or LA.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
All of the scientists talk in geological time.  That could mean 10,000+/- years from now.  That would be the blink of an eye in geological time.  No one in recorded history has seen one of these calderas or super volcanoes blow.  From what the scientists say, it would be horrific.  If what they say is correct, it would mean the end of our civilization as we know it. The greatest gift to you would be to die instantly.  I’m not saying be worried.  I am saying it’s not a question of if but when.  The same goes with an asteroid…
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Fi dolla say's it don't happen in our lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No one in recorded history has seen one of these calderas or super volcanoes blow.
View Quote

Maybe because the last one to blow WIPED OUT all prior recorded history?

Though I rather doubt this due to the lack of any evidence in the fossil record,  it's not entirely impossible that humanity could have achieved a level of civilization equal to our own, or maybe even more advanced than us, and then been all but utterly wiped out by a previous superevent like one of these volcanoes going off, or the ultimate event our planet ever suffered:  the creation of the Pacific Ocean, which is disturbingly circular, crater-like, and probably was the event that spawned our moon.   And THAT happened so long ago that a previous civilization like ours would have left NO TRACE.

Not that I believe it,  but it's something to think about.

If some day we find an ancient base on Mars with a record book in it, chronicling the utter disaster that just occurred back home on the third planet,  wouldn't that be something?

CJ
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
To recap, I don't expect anything to happen in the near future. But with such an unpredictable event, being prepared is your best ticket to survival."

Dr. Bruce Cornet
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
ok somebody's gotta ask it.

223 vs a super volcano.......

45 vs 9mm for fending off the hoards mutants after the blast.

mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
This may actually be a liberal democrat plot to eliminate the "red" parts of the country.

I was there in September. No dead fish in the lake at that time.  There was the normal geo-thermal activity, but not any extra that I could see.  Such a beautiful place- glad I got to see it before it turns into a smoking hole.

I think I will bug out to the Florida Keys if it happens (and I'm still alive). Or maybe the San Diego area. Needs to be some place I can commandeer a boat, if I need to travel further.

I hope it doesn't blow at least for 250 years, but,
It definitly is a good excuse to live for today.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I would sure appreciate it if you guys would refrain from posting shit like this.  I've got my head in the sand only 90 miles from Yellowstone, and am quite content with trying not to think about that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.....I hope it doesn't blow at least for 250 years, but,
[i]It definitly is a good excuse to live for today.[/i]
View Quote

Damn right!  That's why I am heading out to the tavern right now!  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ok somebody's gotta ask it.

223 vs a super volcano.......

45 vs 9mm for fending off the hoards mutants after the blast.

mike
View Quote

Slink around the "dead zones" in Yellowstone Park w/ a Barret. If you spot a bulge in the ground. Shoot it and hope it dies with the first shot. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
Certainly hope we will.
I sure could use a vacation from this...

bull shit three ring cir cus side show of...

Freaks! - Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, see you down in Arizona bay.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car. - It's a

Bull shit three ring cir cus side show of...

Freaks! - Here in this hopeless fucking hole we call LA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any fucking time. Any fucking day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits.
And some say the end is near.
Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
Certainly hope we will...
I sure could use a vacation from this...

...Stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit...

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to beeeeeeee.......

Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
Fuck all his clones.
Fuck all these gun-toting
Hip gangster wannabe's.

Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
Fuck your tattoos.
Fuck all you junkies and
Fuck your short memory.

Yeah, Fuck smiley glad-hands
With hidden agendas.
Fuck these dysfunctional,
Insecure actresses.

cuz I'm praying for rain
I'm praying for tidal waves
I wanna see the ground give way.
I wanna watch it all go down.
Mom please flush it all away.
I wanna see it go riding down.
I wanna watch it go right in.
Watch you flush it all away.

Yeah, Time to bring it down again.

Yeah, Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines.

Yeah, I can't imagine why you wouldn't welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it come down.
bring it down.
suck it down.
flush it down.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Just out of curiosity, is there no method to artificially release some of the pressure?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
"wars....rumors of wars....natural disasters ect ect..."

this is no suprise. Jesus said it would happen in the last days. all we can do is make sure our souls are ready to go and keep our strong faith in God.

and P-R-A-Y!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#22]
[9 dwarves]This is all George W. Bush's fault!! [/9 dwarves]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Dammit as if I wasn't already paranoid enough about commies, liberals, anarchists, soccer moms, the anti christ, jehovas witnesses and Lieberman YOU JUST HAD TO ADD TO THE LIST
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No one in recorded history has seen one of these calderas or super volcanoes blow.
View Quote

Not true.  The 'Dark Ages' (AD version) started with a bang.  Written accounts from Italy, Turkey, Japan, China, and Korea tell us 535 AD started two years of bitter cold. This would have affected both hemispheres, including the Mayans.  Krakatau went off in a big way.  You might remember it from its 1883 hiccup.  The 535 kaboom was the real deal.  The Chinese heard it blasting away for month after month.

The was an earlier Dark Age.  Remember all those neat civilizations like Hittites, Greeks, Minoan, et al that took a nap from 1200 BC to 700 BC?  A caldera is suspected, but no definitive culprit has been named yet.

When (not if) Yellowstone goes postal it will be the end of the USA.  Sure, Hawaii will be ok, but otherwise, all gone.  The rest of the northern hemisphere will suffer mass starvation, etc.  The southern hemisphere will take over the moral/political/scientific leadership of the world.  Maybe the Aussies will rule the planet?

This planet is a deathtrap.  We need to get off of it now!  Man's true purpose is to travel the galaxy shooting bug-eyed monsters, so get off your butts and support manned space flight.  

cmjohnson, the Pacific is a new ocean.  Its floor has only recently been created.  Not too long ago the continents were in a totally different configuration.  What you see as a crater is just a coincidence.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Posted by "Sevendaysinmay" over at Freerepublic...

The estimated maximal blast (blown flat) zone is ~50-100 mile radius, including out of our atmosphere to rain down over the entire planet - perhaps more than a fortnight of night in nuclear Winterville. This is a monumental issue to ponder and for which to prepare meekly one's family pantry.

Picture dead, gray Moon-scapes, utterly dead zones of hundreds of square miles if not nearly a 1,000,000 square miles, a ~550 mile radius.

100 mile radius is I-15, I-94, and the NW corner of Wyoming.

200 mile radius is half of Idaho I-15, Montana, and I-25, I-80 in Wyoming.

300 mile radius is nearly all of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and to Salt Lake City.

400 mile radius is to Canadian 1 in Saskatchewan and Alberta, Spokane, Battle Mt., NV, I-70 with most of Utah, through Denver, and western Nebraska and both Dakotas.

500 mile radius is to Calgary, half of Washington, Oregon, Nebraska and both Dakotas, nearly all of Colorado to Pueblo, Utah, and nearly to Reno and Las Vegas.

600 mile radius, also with a potential building crushing, animal choking kill zone from ashfall, is the area within I-35, I-40, to California's Central Valley, to the Pacific including all of Oregon and Washington, Vancouver, Edmonton, and southeast to Manitoba.

The jet streams push ash more east than blast blown west, south more than north so these radii are for illustration.

Earth's "ash" is very fine, consider cement dust and much finer - re: asphyxiation without masks, many masks each. If mixed with water as ash often is as it falls, picture your house/apt. or office holding up under a rain of wet cement, inches or several feet of it - 6 feet or more. Picture your house's roof completely covered with 90# bags of dry cement, just add water. Will your roof's slope shed the sticky goo? Unlikely. Very unlikely. Roof and/or wall structural failure is nearly certain given the size of the eruption.

A common snow & wind loading design of 50#/sq.ft. would fail with only a few inches of wet ash.

Geologic records show us that more than 6 feet of ash has fallen a long way from Old Faithful in previous eruptions. I don't have those data here tonight.

Forget being saved by neighbors or outsiders, because with such rural country and a few cities of millions, victims from an eruption only a few minutes in duration, you are on your own. Ash destroys internal combustion engines, especially aircraft. There will be total darkness for days on end - globally. There can be no resupply, except in rare instances.

This event will be global, weather and some regional climate changes certain, at least for years if not decades. The Northern Hemisphere's food and fiber production will suffer greatly if not stop for a season. Famine of Biblical scale is certain.

All rivers and watersheds will change. Ash mud/slides will make terra firma not.

This eruption horror would also invite islamists, China , South america, and EU celebrate the end of the USA as we knew it.

Be aware and prepare with life-or-death survivalist know-how. Survivors can always use luck, but significant caches of food, water, tools, temporary shelter, and Faith help. The Bible teaches 7 years.

We are a bit overdue.

Whenever this eruption happens, the civilization of North America will never be the same. The western United States to the Mississippi River will be a solemn burial ground.
View Quote

[i]Sobering, frightening stuff...[/i]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#26]
We need to cover Yellowstone in tin foil.  Then we'll be safe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm going with the park rangers, here.  This story's too good to be true.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
... I don't know, have there been forensic geologists that can confirm that an event at the scale mentioned here has actually happened in history?

[url]http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/new.html#hydro[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
... I don't know, have there been forensic geologists that can confirm that an event at the scale mentioned here has actually happened in history?

[url]http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/new.html#hydro[/url]
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Bring it on, the suspence is killing me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#31]
[img]http://richard.meek.home.comcast.net/OhNoMrBill.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#32]
well shit....

IF this particular piece of S ever HTF, my plan of action will be to grab a beer and the lawn chair and watch the fireworks -- not much else to do, really....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top