Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

[He's right you know]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God has been forgiving them for a long time without the popes help.

[He's right you know]

One wonders then why John 20:21-23 occured.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems with this. Seeking forgiveness is a cornerstone of the faith.

Still don't like the Pope though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ok and so what? I can swing by the church today and confess to making gloves out of kittens and get absolution
View Quote

What kind of kittens kind sir?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not to mention declaring the US Bill of Rights and US sovereignty irrelevant (at least to the church's interests).

Christian Pharisees (regardless of denomination) are no better than Jewish Pharisees maybe even worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is everybody now fine with the pope's global warming wealth distribution and social justice BS too?

Not to mention declaring the US Bill of Rights and US sovereignty irrelevant (at least to the church's interests).

Christian Pharisees (regardless of denomination) are no better than Jewish Pharisees maybe even worse.

What about people who wantonly lie and sow discord?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This Pope just may be the prognosticated anti Christ.
View Quote

The whole concept of this Pope "Empowering" anyone to have a given authority to forgive sins is laughable. As his belief that certain government entities are "Gods Earthly Government" is perposterous & does show himself as a sort of anti-Christ.

But this stuff is nothing new. Scripture has said for a long time now this stuff is going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
This pope is a creeper. I don't like him one bit. Seems like a kiddie diddler.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Anti-Catholics are like Atheists; some people just need to see the world burn. There is no sense or reason to this need. It is just an inherent desire for manifest hate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and the catholic's heads aren't exploding???
View Quote

MATTHEW 25:45   'I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You showed me in another thread that I have to not accept the OP's "possible slant" and go more to the source to get the real story.

You were right.

But, and this is a serious question, why do I not like this Pope much..............I never disliked any other Pope before this one?

Why do I think, deep down, that he is a communist who says things in such a way as to hide it?

Is it solely my bias?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anti-Catholics are like Atheists; some people just need to see the world burn. There is no sense or reason to this need. It is just an inherent desire for manifest hate.
View Quote

I think at its core is hubris and pride - a rejection of accountability and demand to be seen as equally capable of speaking for the Church. Structures like in Catholocism force accountability and humility. This provokes outrage to those who "already have all the answers" and "answer to no man."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is probably going to just turn into "damn dirty papists".
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You showed me in another thread that I have to not accept the OP's "possible slant" and go more to the source to get the real story.

You were right.

But, and this is a serious question, why do I not like this Pope much..............I never disliked any other Pope before this one?

Why do I think, deep down, that he is a communist who says things in such a way as to hide it?

Is it solely my bias?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were right.

Is it solely my bias?

My slant?  I'm a catholic, and I don't work for Reuters.  Matter of fact all I did is post the article.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My slant?  I'm a catholic, and I don't work for Reuters.  Matter of fact all I did is post the article.
View Quote

No..........I was talking about another thread.........nothing to do with this one.

Bohr knows what thread I was referring to.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Who among us is beyond redemption?

Why should someone who now sees the errors of their past not be able to ask for and receive forgiveness?

The only news here is that this was not the policy of the Church all along.

Not a Catholic (just a forgiving agnostic).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh this thread has potential!

Pope Francis will give all priests discretion to formally forgive women who have had abortions and seek absolution during the Roman Catholic Church's upcoming Holy Year, in the Argentine pontiff's latest move towards a more open and inclusive church.

In a letter published by the Vatican on Tuesday, Francis described the "existential and moral ordeal" faced by women who have terminated pregnancies and said he had "met so many women who bear in their heart the scar of this agonizing and painful decision".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/01/pope-abortion-idINKCN0R13E820150901?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Meltdown in 3, 2, 1....

Why should someone who now sees the errors of their past not be able to ask for and receive forgiveness?

Actually, it has ALWAYS been the policy of the Church. Absolution can be granted through the sacrament of Confession, same as it always could. No news here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You were right.

Is it solely my bias?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were right.

Is it solely my bias?

He has said nothing that contradicts long-established Catholic teaching. He's never said anything contradicting the Church's long defense of the rights to private property. You tell me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think at its core is hubris and pride - a rejection of accountability and demand to be seen as equally capable of speaking for the Church. Structures like in Catholocism force accountability and humility. This provokes outrage to those who "already have all the answers" and "answer to no man."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolute Power Corrupts. Absolutely.
It is ok when we decide it is ok. Otherwise you go to hell.
Fuckin religious douche bags....
View Quote

Oh, ye of little faith (and even less understanding)....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He has said nothing that contradicts long-established Catholic teaching. He's never said anything contradicting the Church's long defense of the rights to private property. You tell me.
View Quote

I can't.............just how I am taking the accumulated overall flavor of his speeches.

And I have never disliked any Pope during my lifetime except this one.

It's something though.............oh well, might be tinfoil on my part.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's always been policy to offer forgiveness to the repentant. the issue was low-level priests weren't empowered.

the church has always faced two competing sources of - for lack of a better word - corruption. 1) Rogue priests who, in this case, might start writing off abortions as readily as being mean to your sister, leading to more of the "you can do anything as long as you say you're sorry, and I won't even dig too deep to be sure you're sincere" attitude.  2) More elaborate processes that quickly turn into costly "it's available to anyone willing to pay for it" appearances.

You see bits of both throughout every anti-Catholic thread.

Francis definitely seems more worried about the latter, as he has a real thing for accessibility and openness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pope Francis will give all priests discretion to formally forgive women who have had abortions and seek absolution during the Roman Catholic Church's upcoming Holy Year, in the Argentine pontiff's latest move towards a more open and inclusive church.

In a letter published by the Vatican on Tuesday, Francis described the "existential and moral ordeal" faced by women who have terminated pregnancies and said he had "met so many women who bear in their heart the scar of this agonizing and painful decision".

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/01/pope-abortion-idINKCN0R13E820150901?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Meltdown in 3, 2, 1....

It's always been policy to offer forgiveness to the repentant. the issue was low-level priests weren't empowered.

the church has always faced two competing sources of - for lack of a better word - corruption. 1) Rogue priests who, in this case, might start writing off abortions as readily as being mean to your sister, leading to more of the "you can do anything as long as you say you're sorry, and I won't even dig too deep to be sure you're sincere" attitude.  2) More elaborate processes that quickly turn into costly "it's available to anyone willing to pay for it" appearances.

Francis definitely seems more worried about the latter, as he has a real thing for accessibility and openness.

WRONG. Any priest can conduct the sacrament of Confession. Even "low level" ones. Your understanding is flawed.

Edit: the Code of Canon Law permits a priest to remit the excommunication and notify the Bishop afterwards. Also, the offense must be undertaken with full understanding of the penalty for there to be an automatic excommunication.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Last time I checked the one who decides these things doesn't hail from Argentina.
View Quote

17PNI
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

WRONG. Any priest can conduct the sacrament of Confession. Even "low level" ones. Your understanding is flawed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meltdown in 3, 2, 1....

Yes but the lifting of an excommunication is reserved to a bishop or somebody he designates (which could be some Priests in his diocese or all of them his call).
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No..........I was talking about another thread.........nothing to do with this one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forgive you.

Sees what I did there?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I forgive you.

Sees what I did there?  
View Quote

Thank you Father.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was coming here to post this.

God doesn't really need the Pope to forgive the sinners.
may their hearts be healed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I've really started looking forward to these threads. I get to learn lots of things about my faith that I never knew from people who have no idea what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. How the Pope decides what can be or not.be forgiven is the dumbest thing I've heard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This. How the Pope decides what can be or not.be forgiven is the dumbest thing I've heard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet it was really dumb when Jesus told that to the apostles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I was raised With synod Lutheran, bapatized Catholic.  Married Catholic, son and wife Catholic, I went and got confirmed Catholic.... I guess God will forgive me when I leave for the Lutheran Church (wi Lutheran is the most conservative Christian sect that I know of). The Catholic church has gone nuts.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So much for that whole abortion=murder tripe the anti-choice crowd likes to trot out.  Does the Catholic church forgive murderers too, or is that sin unforgivable?
View Quote

Anti choice. That's rich. The choice is whether to take your pants off and have unprotected sex, not whether to kill the outcome of that. Rape accounts for such a low percentage of abortions it's barely worth considering.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was raised With synod Lutheran, bapatized Catholic.  Married Catholic, son and wife Catholic, I went and got confirmed Catholic.... I guess God will forgive me when I leave for the Lutheran Church (wi Lutheran is the most conservative Christian sect that I know of). The Catholic church has gone nuts.  
View Quote

I would've hoped your RCIA class would've covered how reconciliation, excommunications, bishop's authority and all that works. Because this really isn't anything shocking.

Except for the SSPX thing. That kinda is
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Is that how it works?

Forget what Christ did on the cross......you still nee the pope's permission to forgive.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Weird.

Priests don't forgive sins. They don't even pretend to. God does.

Even the pope does not decide what sins are to be forgiven and what are not.

and no matter what sin you commit, if you are truly sorry and you ask for forgiveness, you will likely get it, but you will not know till judgment day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

SNIP

]
View Quote

The veil was torn.

The veil was torn.  Period.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

Very true, all sin was paid for a long time ago!  IMHO, that is the greatest thing about the redemptive blood of the Lamb!  Most sinners are just not willing to ask for it, they want to fix it themselves!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This Pope just may be the prognosticated anti Christ.
View Quote

You are not alone in thinking this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Any sin can be forgiven, if you are repentant.   Not sure why this would be controversial.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No kidding? I never knew that  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite. All priests are capable of giving absolution, the rule was that the sin of abortion is considered  so serious, that typical parish priests were ordered not to give absolution and kick it up the "chain of command" in hopes that said absolution would be followed with more intense counseling and authority.

No kidding? I never knew that  

The American RCC often plays a little loose with the rules.

Theologically, the average priest could give absolution to Adolf Hitler himself if he thought there was sincere repentance in him.  Absolution is often automatic without any thought but serious sins are supposed to be given more consideration and counseling.  An example is that absolution for murder might include the stipulation that the murderer turn himself in for justice from the authorities to prove real penance and remorse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#46]

God Loves' you.

I just Baptized everyone in this thread, even the the heathen penguin.

Everyone is now "Born Again"...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.

I used to be catholic.

When the pope summoned cardinal law to the vatican for a new job as he was about to be indited in Boston for protecting and aiding and abetting priests that were sexually abusing children for decades, it became obvious to the world that the corruption within the church was not only systemic but went all the way to the top.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The Pope is just a regular guy. Nothing more. Forgiveness comes from God
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall Jesus saying "hey pick and choose what my Father will forgive, just decide as you go."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All sins are forgivable if you ask for forgiveness and truly mean it in your heart. There is nothing new here.
View Quote

IIRC, denying Christ to others is the only unforgiveable sin.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top