Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess the best example is that an indulgence is a bit like a re-baptism, but one that has almost impossible requirements to actually attain.  The sacrament of reconciliation part of the requirements forgives the sins, and the indulgence removes the temporal punishment associated with them - so it is pretty much a true starting over.  That said, doing the requirements of the indulgence to the best of your ability would almost always draw you closer to Christ.  As such, they are still a great thing to do, even if the actual indulgence is never received.

There are hundreds of pious actions which are part of indulgences.  But unfortunately, purchasing them is not on the list.  Plus that last prerequisite just is a tough one - free from the desire to sin.  I seriously doubt many people ever get that close to Christ during their lives on earth.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"In the beginning God said let us......"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spade, I would have wasted way too many words and not said it as well as you did.

Thanks.  

Yup.

I'll take any mention of 'trinity' or 'incarnation' while gwitness is scouring the scripture for prooftexts.

But it doesn't say, In the beginniing God said let the trinity...
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spade, I would have wasted way too many words and not said it as well as you did.

Thanks.  

Yup.

I'll take any mention of 'trinity' or 'incarnation' while gwitness is scouring the scripture for prooftexts.

Ok..I'm game...who was God talking to?.....the angels?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

uh-huh.   btw..can you show me where [in the Bible] it is shown that an indulgence can get one out of purgatory?.......heck..I'll take any mention of purgatory for that matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the Catholic Church stopped selling "indulgences"

You can't buy an indulgence with money.

You actually have to do stuff, like do a pilgrimage, or a set of prayers.

And they don't get you out of hell. It's a purgatory thing.

Wanna bet?    I know for a fact..at least one local church was selling them....as our Pastor bought one.

Sure he did.

I've been a Catholic for 31 years and I've never personally seen or heard of an indulgence being sold for money.

When I lived in Alabama I was told at least 4 times that somebody's pastor bought one though.

It's weird that a real Catholic can't find one for sale, but a Prod pastor can seem to find them everywhere. Funny that.

ETA: No idea why you would pay money for one. They're not exactly difficult to get. It's not like every indulgence granting thing is equal to the Way of St. James or something.

uh-huh.   btw..can you show me where [in the Bible] it is shown that an indulgence can get one out of purgatory?.......heck..I'll take any mention of purgatory for that matter.

So God no longer speaks to us? Or to our holy men? Just because it isn't in the Bible doesn't mean squat.
Guess what, Noah's flood was in the Bible and I don't believe it. Do you actually think the Earth is only 6000 years ago and was completely flooded? Even in the worst parts of the Ice Age, there was still exposed land.
And if the Bible is so infallble, why are you reading the English version? Read the Greek translation instead. Or maybe the Latin translation is most accurate.
Or maybe God writes different versions for different cultures?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  

Yup.

I always thought that was the head god (Yahweh) talking to the angels (which would be considered lesser gods in many other mythologies.)

Hell, it could even be a hold over from a earlier polytheistic creation myth.

Really, it could mean anything you are willing to read into it.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
All this tells me is that the culture of extreme legalism so often promoted in the Catholic church is really just a paper-thin game of little actual substance; so much so that you have to wonder why it was fabricated in the first place.

<----------- unashamed Protestant.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Still missing the point......define what an indulgence is.  and I want a biblical reference to indulgences and purgatory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Misleading title is misleading.  Indulgences do not get you out of Hell.

Quoted:

Yes, the Church stopped selling them.  However, you can still obtain indulgences by doing other things, such as reading the Bible or praying the Rosary.

Still missing the point......define what an indulgence is.  and I want a biblical reference to indulgences and purgatory.

Show me a biblical reference defining the Bible.  Show me a biblical reference saying that scripture is the only authority for a Christian to follow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All this tells me is that the culture of extreme legalism so often promoted in the Catholic church is really just a paper-thin game of little actual substance; so much so that you have to wonder why it was fabricated in the first place.

View Quote

All what?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's too easy to work in an idea called "purgatory" when people don't want to hear the truth of the finality of their actions on earth from the pulpit....because selling sin forgiveness was too profitable a scam to pass up....because having just one middleman to God the Father is too simple an arrangement for some people who are more comfortable with the half dozen middlemen Rome has fabricated over the millenia.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#10]
<Paulie Walnuts>
2000 years in Purgatory?  I can do that standing on my head.
</Paulie Walnuts>
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because it's too easy to work in an idea called "purgatory" when people don't want to hear the truth of the finality of their actions on earth from the pulpit....because selling sin forgiveness was too profitable a scam to pass up....because having just one middleman to God the Father is too simple an arrangement for some people who are more comfortable with the half dozen middlemen Rome has fabricated over the millenia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol no

That's not at all what purgatory is about.

But to know that you'd have to read a bunch of documents and philosophy. Which is harder than staring slack jawed at Pastor Bob's Big House of Jesus (reformed).
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do, of course realize, that the protestant denominations sprung from the Catholic Church, not the other way around.. right?

What you call "legalism" used to be called "philosophy." Protestants and Catholics alike continue to use it to this day... if your tradition has done away with it, I guess that's your business.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You do, of course realize, that the protestant denominations sprung from the Catholic Church, not the other way around.. right?

What you call "legalism" used to be called "philosophy." Protestants and Catholics alike continue to use it to this day... if your tradition has done away with it, I guess that's your business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bunch of them don't believe that, actually. They think there were little pockets of their sect hiding in Rome in secret rooms that nobody knows about and isn't documented anywhere. They certainly weren't created on a Tuesday by Pastor Bill in 1830 or whatever, and they're totally different from that other nearly identical church down the street with almost the same name that was created by some guy in 1830 but their pastor had a fight with the other pastor so they made our own church (blackjack and hookers unconfirmed).
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

lol no

But to know that you'd have to read a bunch of documents and philosophy. Which is harder than staring slack jawed at Pastor Bob's Big House of Jesus (reformed).
View Quote

You catholics sure are uppity about a church with a history of murdering dissidents and selling salvation to the ignorant. The only thing that keeps your church alive is the very thing you accuse me of being.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You catholics sure are uppity about a church with a history of murdering dissidents and selling salvation to the ignorant. The only thing that keeps your church alive is the very thing you accuse me of being.
View Quote

Don't knock our pancake breakfasts, they're awesome
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol no

Yeah, I mean, no good Prod would ever do that, right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

lol no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol no

lol, so true!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[span style='font-size: 10pt;']Because it's too easy to work in an idea called "purgatory" when people don't want to hear the truth of the finality of their actions on earth from the pulpit....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[span style='font-size: 10pt;']Because it's too easy to work in an idea called "purgatory" when people don't want to hear the truth of the finality of their actions on earth from the pulpit....

I can see where you'd come to that conclusion absent any study of real Catholic belief.  Fair enough.

because selling sin forgiveness was too profitable a scam to pass up....

This was definitely true for a certain part of the middle ages.  Can't argue with that.

because having just one middleman to God the Father is too simple an arrangement for some people who are more comfortable with the half dozen middlemen Rome has fabricated over the millenia.

There are no "middlemen" required of Catholics in order to worship and to receive salvation.  I know that you refer to the Saints, Mary, and other historical and biblical figures from whom Catholics request prayers, but what makes you think they were "fabricated"?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A bunch of them don't believe that, actually. They think there were little pockets of their sect hiding in Rome in secret rooms that nobody knows about and isn't documented anywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bunch of them don't believe that, actually. They think there were little pockets of their sect hiding in Rome in secret rooms that nobody knows about and isn't documented anywhere.

Bzzzzzzz. That is unbiblical. Cannot be true! Lol!

They certainly weren't created on a Tuesday by Pastor Bill in 1830 or whatever, and they're totally different from that other nearly identical church down the street with almost the same name that was created by some guy in 1830 but their pastor had a fight with the other pastor so they made our own church (blackjack and hookers unconfirmed).

But, but, nobody ever admits about the creation of fundamentalism 1800 years after the resurrection! Its simply not done!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has any claim to an unbroken history of purity and freedom from sin and shameful actions.  I see hypocrisy more clearly in this thread than even ignorance (of which there appears to be a robust amount as well).

We would all do well to remember that before casting judgement and throwing around insults.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has any claim to an unbroken history of purity and freedom from sin and shameful actions.  I see hypocrisy more clearly in this thread than even ignorance (of which there appears to be a robust amount as well).

We would all do well to remember that before casting judgement and throwing around insults.
View Quote

I can't remember which side you're on, so, get on the rack heathen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, those darn Catholics.

English Martyrs

Philadelphia Bible Riots

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All what?

Guess I should've written "all that story tells me."  
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol no

LOL, the 'killing dissidents' card.  Funny considering that John Calvin and his followers were possibly the most violent of all the competing denominations of that era.

But what are historical facts when bigotry needs to be indulged.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Catholicism does not claim such a history.

Fairly recent apology
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All what?

Book suggestion, Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Show me a biblical reference defining the Bible.  Show me a biblical reference saying that scripture is the only authority for a Christian to follow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Misleading title is misleading.  Indulgences do not get you out of Hell.

Quoted:

Yes, the Church stopped selling them.  However, you can still obtain indulgences by doing other things, such as reading the Bible or praying the Rosary.

Can't help you with the first part, but 2 Timothy 3:16-17 handles the second part quite well:

"16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."  (bolded part was my edit)
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't see a price listed anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Martin Luther ain't gonna like that.
View Quote
He didn't like Jews, either.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All what?

I promise to take that under consideration.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, I'm aware of that.  I've been a Catholic since my baptism over 40 years ago.  

I merely prefer to acknowledge that the Church has its historical problems when pointing out the same of others.  

Quoted:

Fairly recent apology
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fairly recent apology

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
LOL, the 'killing dissidents' card.  Funny considering that John Calvin and his followers were possibly the most violent of all the competing denominations of that era.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol no

JC was equally ridiculous, just on the other end of the spectrum - a real reactionary! He was just under a lot of stress not knowing if he was predestined to be one of the elect or not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Can't help you with the first part, but 2 Timothy 3:16-17 handles the second part quite well:

"16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."  (bolded part was my edit)
View Quote

A better translation:

[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
[17] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

"Scripture" here is ONLY the Old Testament (sacred writings known since childhood).  The Gospels weren't even written yet when 2 Timothy was written.  Are you saying the entire New Testament is not something that a Christian should follow?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A better translation:

[14] But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it
[15] and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

"Scripture" here is ONLY the Old Testament (sacred writings known since childhood).  The Gospels weren't even written yet when 2 Timothy was written.  Are you saying the entire New Testament is not something that a Christian should follow?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A better translation:

The better question to be asked, in light of your statement, is this: "is ONLY Old Testament scripture inspired by God? (IOW, Do no other inspired-by-God scriptures exist outside of the Old Testament?)"  This is especially important to ask in light of the Gospels specifically (and generally) being identified as divinely inspired.

My answer to your question is "No," and/because the answer to my question is, also, "No."  
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The better question to be asked, in light of your statement, is this: "is ONLY Old Testament scripture inspired by God? (IOW, Do no other inspired-by-God scriptures exist outside of the Old Testament?)"  This is especially important to ask in light of the Gospels specifically (and generally) being identified as divinely inspired.

My answer to your question is "No," and/because the answer to my question is, also, "No."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A better translation:

You and I both believe the New Testament is inspired by God.  However, 2 Timothy is only referring to the Old Testament (sacred writings known since childhood; the New Testament was not around when Paul was a child, obviously).

So I see a contradiction here between your interpretation of 2 Timothy and your belief in the New Testament as inspired by God.  You are trying to interpret 2 Timothy as saying that the Holy Bible as we (or at least Protestants) know it is the only authority a Christian must accept.

However, as I showed, 2 Timothy can only be referring to the Old Testament.  But, you believe that the New Testament is inspired as well, and I assume you think the New Testament is authoritative for Christians.  If your interpretation of 2 Timothy is correct, then all a Christian needs is the Old Testament, and not the New Testament.  And I don't think any Christian really believes that.

My point is, your interpretation of 2 Timothy is incorrect.  It is merely stating that Scripture (the Old Testament) is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."  It is NOT saying that Scripture contains the totality of the Christian faith.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You and I both believe the New Testament is inspired by God.  However, 2 Timothy is only referring to the Old Testament (sacred writings known since childhood; the New Testament was not around when Paul was a child, obviously).

So I see a contradiction here between your interpretation of 2 Timothy and your belief in the New Testament as inspired by God.  You are trying to interpret 2 Timothy as saying that the Holy Bible as we (or at least Protestants) know it is the only authority a Christian must accept.

However, as I showed, 2 Timothy can only be referring to the Old Testament.  But, you believe that the New Testament is inspired as well, and I assume you think the New Testament is authoritative for Christians.  If your interpretation of 2 Timothy is correct, then all a Christian needs is the Old Testament, and not the New Testament.  And I don't think any Christian really believes that.

My point is, your interpretation of 2 Timothy is incorrect.  It is merely stating that Scripture (the Old Testament) is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."  It is NOT saying that Scripture contains the totality of the Christian faith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A better translation:

Hang on a second; you didn't show (ie, prove) that the 2 Timothy verses can "only" be referring to the Old Testament.  If you have reasoning beyond just "it was written before the Gospels were," (because that alone does not inherently prove anything), please share it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wanna bet?    I know for a fact..at least one local church was selling them....as our Pastor bought one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't buy an indulgence with money.

You actually have to do stuff, like do a pilgrimage, or a set of prayers.

And they don't get you out of hell. It's a purgatory thing.

I call bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is this the Christian bashing I keep reading that we are supposed to be stopping?
View Quote

Didn't you hear? Catholics are pagans - not Christians.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hang on a second; you didn't show (ie, prove) that the 2 Timothy verses can "only" be referring to the Old Testament.  If you have reasoning beyond just "it was written before the Gospels were," (because that alone does not inherently prove anything), please share it.
View Quote

In context this verse is only referring to sacred writings known since childhood.  What scriptures would every Jew have learned from childhood?  It certainly does not include the Gospels or letters of St. Paul.

And why would the fact that 2 Timothy was written before the Gospels not prove that this verse is only referring to the Old Testament (scriptures already written at the time)?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep. Only it's not bashing if someone is defending what they believe. Don't cha know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this the Christian bashing I keep reading that we are supposed to be stopping?

Yep. Only it's not bashing if someone is defending what they believe. Don't cha know?

I'm pretty certain the OP is an atheist.

He's definitely an anti-Catholic troll.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, I'm totally digging this new pope. Atheists can get into heaven, I can ask for forgiveness in 140 characters or less, etc.. he's sounding better and better. #jezus
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In context this verse is only referring to sacred writings known since childhood.  What scriptures would every Jew have learned from childhood?  It certainly does not include the Gospels or letters of St. Paul.

And why would the fact that 2 Timothy was written before the Gospels not prove that this verse is only referring to the Old Testament (scriptures already written at the time)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you assert that 2 Timothy is NOT, itself, divinely-inspired, then yes- what you just said makes sense and I would have to (academically) agree with you.

However, I assert that- just like all the minor prophets of the Old Testament- 2 Timothy IS divinely-inspired, and thus the verses in question can reasonably be understood to apply to BOTH Old and New Testament...making it irrelevant that the Gospels did not exist at the time it was written (because God knew about them and would've had the "foresight" to give us advice about their value to us as Christians).
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you bashing Catholics? That's so offensive and rude.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I dunno, I'm totally digging this new pope. Atheists can get into heaven, I can ask for forgiveness in 140 characters or less, etc.. he's sounding better and better. #jezus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pope is infallible so it must be true, I guess Jesus just wasn't aware of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Help help you're being repressed?

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
However, I assert that- just like all the minor prophets of the Old Testament- 2 Timothy IS divinely-inspired, and thus the verses in question can reasonably be understood to apply to BOTH Old and New Testament...making it irrelevant that the Gospels did not exist at the time it was written (because God knew about them and would've had the "foresight" to give us advice about their value to us as Christians).
View Quote

So 2 Timothy applies prospectively to any books that Christians would later decide were inspired?  Could a Christian write a book today and claim it to be divinely inspired?  Could you then argue that 2 Timothy applies to that book written today?

That leaves another problem.  How do you decide which books are inspired?  2 Timothy talks about Old Testament scriptures, but how do you decide that 2 Timothy itself is divinely inspired?  How do you decide the gospels or any of the other books in the New Testament are divinely inspired?

I'll give you the Catholic answer:  the gospels and other New Testament books that made it into the Bible are those books that are consistent with a Christian faith that was already in existence and self-sufficient before the books in the Bible were written.  Many "holy books" like the gnostic gospels, etc. were discarded by Christians because they did not conform to Christianity.  Christianity does not need the Bible.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The pope is infallible so it must be true, I guess Jesus just wasn't aware of it.
View Quote

You might be right, but since He picked the first one (and in the same breath, gave him the infallibility you speak of) I'll take Him at His word.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So 2 Timothy applies prospectively to any books that Christians would later decide were inspired?  Could a Christian write a book today and claim it to be divinely inspired?  Could you then argue that 2 Timothy applies to that book written today?

That leaves another problem.  How do you decide which books are inspired?  2 Timothy talks about Old Testament scriptures, but how do you decide that 2 Timothy itself is divinely inspired?  How do you decide the gospels or any of the other books in the New Testament are divinely inspired?

I'll give you the Catholic answer:  the gospels and other New Testament books that made it into the Bible are those books that are consistent with a Christian faith that was already in existence and self-sufficient before the books in the Bible were written.  Many "holy books" like the gnostic gospels, etc. were discarded by Christians because they did not conform to Christianity.  Christianity does not need the Bible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Could a Christian write a book today and claim it to be divinely inspired?"

Sure, he could claim it (heck many non-Christians already do, and have)- but I doubt such a claim, made today, would prove to be truthful- 2 Timothy used as supporting material, or otherwise.

"How do you decide which books are inspired?"

I guess I'll just have to "have faith" that the decisions made in the past were valid.  I also like to apply "by their fruits you shall know them" to any (new or old) reading materials, their authors, and those who teach by them.  

"Christianity does not need the Bible."

I'm not entirely sure what you mean there, but I will say without a doubt that Christians need God, and the Word of God is probably a pretty significant part of that need.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that include Alter Boys?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top