Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ97B .45 pistol with 1 spare mag nearby. Handy in a small house, big enough to convert cover into concealment...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you need any help I would be glad to assist. By the looks of the poll results, it obviously needs to be done. I have been trying for years to quelch the shotgun myths, but decades of wivestales are hard to counter. I cringe every time I see someone on a gun board reccomend a 12 gauge with bird shot as a good home defense weapon.
View Quote

Yeah, I have an ex-brother in law that cringes everytime he thinks about a shotgun with bird shot too. He shits in a diaper and has to be pushed around in a wheelchair because he's a quad. #6 shot from a .410 took out his shoulder joints and about 2 inches of spine. He wont hit my sister again.

I keep my 12 gauge loaded with #6.

How many people have you shot? With what load? What was the results?
View Quote

One unlucky SOB in a wheelchair does not make #6 from a .410 a good defensive load.

A woman was killed by a drunk guy at a party in my home town last year with a .177 pellet rifle. Maybe you should load up your Daisy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you need any help I would be glad to assist. By the looks of the poll results, it obviously needs to be done. I have been trying for years to quelch the shotgun myths, but decades of wivestales are hard to counter. I cringe every time I see someone on a gun board reccomend a 12 gauge with bird shot as a good home defense weapon.
View Quote

Yeah, I have an ex-brother in law that cringes everytime he thinks about a shotgun with bird shot too. He shits in a diaper and has to be pushed around in a wheelchair because he's a quad. #6 shot from a .410 took out his shoulder joints and about 2 inches of spine. He wont hit my sister again.

View Quote

One unlucky SOB in a wheelchair does not make #6 from a .410 a good defensive load.

A woman was killed by a drunk guy at a party in my home town last year with a .177 pellet rifle. Maybe you should load up your Daisy.
View Quote

No sir. I don't think I will take your offer for a Daisy for home protection.

Still waiting to hear about your body count. Expert.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
M1A1.

Bilster
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been told that nothing scares the heck out of a burglar then the sound of a shotgun being chambered.
View Quote

You've been told wrong.  It'll work maybe 50% of the time, usually on people that would be intimidated by any sort of gun interupting their stupidity in progress.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted for the gauge in the poll, being a fan of the 'street howitzer' but actually it would depend on what was handiest:  Revolver in computer desk drawer, pump shotgun by bed, Romanian 5.45 Ak with loaded 30rnd mag in front closet (no AR [u]yet[/u]) [peep]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
That's what I love about this place, I can learn something new everyday. Thatnks for the link.

I happen to be restoring my upstairs bathroom and I've got tons of drywall scraps laying around (measure once, cut three times...lol).

For kicks, I'm going to see what a .223, a .45 and a 308 does to drywall spaced 3.75 inches apart from ten feet. I'm curious.

My house is close to 100 years old. Most of the walls are wood lath and plaster mixed with horse hair (and real 2x4's). They are pretty tough walls and I would guess stand up pretty well against a bullet or shot.

(where the heck did my team membership go?)
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No sir. I don't think I will take your offer for a Daisy for home protection.

Still waiting to hear about your body count. Expert.
View Quote

A stone cold gunslinger such as yourself should know that  one shooting, on its own, does not prove anything about the overall reliable effectiveness of a given load. Anything may stop or kill someone once or twice. A wise person chooses defensive ammuntion based on research of actual shootings, ammo testing studies, and as much other relevant information as possible.  That is why the military, FBI, and police forces don't load their shotguns with ammo meant for killing fucking birds.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Leaving the debate over whether .223 fragments sufficiently in dry wall to NOT be a hazard...

The longest distance in my house is 10 yards.  If I miss at that range with a shotgun OR an AR, I probably shouldnt be shooting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what I love about this place, I can learn something new everyday. Thatnks for the link.

I happen to be restoring my upstairs bathroom and I've got tons of drywall scraps laying around (measure once, cut three times...lol).

For kicks, I'm going to see what a .223, a .45 and a 308 does to drywall spaced 3.75 inches apart from ten feet. I'm curious.

My house is close to 100 years old. Most of the walls are wood lath and plaster mixed with horse hair (and real 2x4's). They are pretty tough walls and I would guess stand up pretty well against a bullet or shot.

View Quote

Good idea. You will have fun and likely learn something too. I have put countless rounds of various types of ammo through wall board, sheetrock, paneling, car doors, windshields, etc., and have often been surprised by some of the results.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
So I take it that it's = a big fat 0?

No need to get mad there Skippy. I just keep seeing this image of a POS folding up like a cheap card table while he screams about how it's burning,it's burning,it's burning.

Keep on reading your data.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Make sure to put some insulation in there, to be as much like your walls as possible. It makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I take it that it's = a big fat 0?

No need to get mad there Skippy. I just keep seeing this image of a POS folding up like a cheap card table while he screams about how it's burning,it's burning,it's burning.

Keep on reading your data.
View Quote

Not that it is any of your business, but no, I have never shot anyone. I don't know what my "body count" has to do with ammo effectiveness, but since you keep pressing, I did stab someone in self defense before I turned 18.
Is that hardcore enough for you Rambo?

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Yawn. I quit. You win. I was wrong.

Now quit stomping your feet and holding your breath.

Rambo, huh? Now that was just plain mean!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So, is .50 BMG out of the question?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Wilson CQB and a Surefire.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, is .50 BMG out of the question?
View Quote

[50]
I'd probably skip the flamethrower also....unless the home defense scenario involves zombies...[pyro]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Baseball bat and knife. No joke.

I seriously doubt someone will break into my house. I got a broken microwave, VCR (why not DVD fool?), junky computer, you get the idea.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine happens to be SIG 220, shooting 230 grn. Hydra Shoks, but the one they should be concerned about is my redheaded wife, she graps a 6" Python loaded with 158 grn. Gold Dots. Five foot two of pure unadulterated mean whan she gets riled up.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
12-ga and 9mm handgun.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I never take my shotguns out to play with them at night, so the most likely home invasion scenario would be a Scout M1A or an AR with possible bayo.

I ussually only have 20 rounds of 7.62mm or 30 rounds of 5.56mm on the bedroom level. I do however have a handgun safe on that level with a couple 10 round mags of .45.

I pprefer the rifle because it could be used as a melee weapon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I pick a 12ga and a American Mastiff there just something about having a 250lbs dog that is over 6 feet tall that just makes people stay away from your home.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I never take my shotguns out to play with them at night, so the most likely home invasion scenario would be a Scout M1A or an AR with possible bayo.

I ussually only have 20 rounds of 7.62mm or 30 rounds of 5.56mm on the bedroom level. I do however have a handgun safe on that level with a couple 10 round mags of .45.

I pprefer the rifle because it could be used as a melee weapon.
View Quote

I've got a Dragunov that is damn near 50" long that has a bayonet and I still think I'd rather have my M1 Tactical. Something about bringing a knife to a gunfight...

CW

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Rem 870 with 7 rounds of Federal 3" OO Buck.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top