BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What if it was an 88mm AA gun and not a 20 mm or 37 mm AA?

If he had 14 88s he'd have to change his name, too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I want a AA Gun.

Does it come with ammo.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

What is the coolest piece of functional military hardware currently in private hands, in the US?

Guy I re-enacted with a little while back had a fully functional German '88

We captured it.

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/sherrick13/DSCF0008.jpg

No shit, that may actually be the one Im thinking of

I'm sure it is.  Sherman, TX.

Very cool man
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Heck  ski patrols run around with recoilless rifles and 105mm cannons.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This begs the question:

What is the coolest piece of functional military hardware currently in private hands, in the US?

the guy who bought the functional apache helo on ebay!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

the guy who bought the functional apache helo on ebay!

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Some may own them, but I know several are on loan to them from the .gov.

I'm really curious about privately owned items, as in what collectors have.  There have been some pretty cool examples in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some may own them, but I know several are on loan to them from the .gov.

I'm really curious about privately owned items, as in what collectors have.  There have been some pretty cool examples in this thread.

Heck just go to some of the WWII re-enactments we do here in TX, always some great stuff out to play. Last one had a functional 105, Greyhound, Stuart, Sherman, German Halftrack, 60mm mortar, all sortsa goodies
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Part of the membership here at www.rmfcsa.org have cannons
The largest is a  French/Isreali 90mm... Go to the site > go to pics > 2007 > it is marked "DSC00320.JPG"

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a guy in the SF Bay Area that owns most of an armor battalion. He's got a couple Scuds, too. When he imported them the sender neglected to decommission them, and customs got their panties in a wad. So I don't think the Scuds are functional any more.

Some people have MiGs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I knew someone in Denmark who had (mostly through conincidence, not criminal intent) what would correspond to six unregistered machinegun receivers, as well as a pound of plastic explosives and two illegal rifles.  When he moved to the U.S., I heard that he threw it all into the ocean off a very tall bridge.

Yeah, I'm sure "he" was a little saddened by destroying them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Artillery shells that are NOT explosive are not classified as DDs.   The artillery piece is the DD, if it's breech loaded.

Explosive shells are each and every one a DD, with a 200 dollar transfer tax per shell,
if in civilian hands.   But non-explosive, no problem.  Those are not regulated, at least,
not by the BATFE.

What I wonder is,  how easy is it to get ammo for your pack howitzer, assuming you own
a pack howitzer?  It's not like the local gun store stocks much 105.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What I wonder is,  how easy is it to get ammo for your pack howitzer, assuming you own
a pack howitzer?  It's not like the local gun store stocks much 105.

CJ

Rich uncle with a smelting plant and a junkyard?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
think people would be upset if i parked one of those in my lawn (i live on an Air Force base)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wish I had an AA-gun.

I own a .50 BMG rifle.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
http://www.thelocal.de/12199/20080530/

Police find WWII flak cannon in garage
Published: 30 May 08 18:35 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.de/12199/

German police have discovered a well-preserved WWII anti-aircraft cannon in a German man's garage in part of a series of raids that uncovered more than €100,000 in illegal weapons, German daily Berliner Morgenpost reported on Thursday.

Police discovered the flak cannon, used by the German Wehrmacht in the Second World War, after conducting a search on a family home in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. The 49-year-old resident was in possession of 200 illegal firearms, one kilogramme of explosives, and 15,000 rounds of ammunition. The anti-aircraft cannon was resting where a car would normally park.

"I thought I'd seen everything, but you can always be surprised," chief investigator Manfred Schmandra told the paper.

The cannon is not in working condition, but Schmandra said this could be easily remedied.

The raid was part of 16 searches in three states, Berlin, Saxony-Anhalt, and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

Schmandra told the paper that police were not planning to prosecute most of the weapon owners. "From what we can tell, they are all collectors who got in touch online. But there is still a danger from these weapons. Someone could get a hold of them, or unused ammunition could be dangerous in the case of a house fire," he told Berliner Morgenpost.

Translation: It was deactivated in accordance with UK law, but they're going to villainize the guy any way they can.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There's a guy in the SF Bay Area that owns most of an armor battalion. He's got a couple Scuds, too. When he imported them the sender neglected to decommission them, and customs got their panties in a wad. So I don't think the Scuds are functional any more.

Some people have MiGs.

A mig would be awsome on so many levels
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do I want a DD now?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
It's either going to be 20mm or 37mm Flak Kanone.

I can't believe the guy had an 88 in his garage.

The German 37 mike mike was hot!  The "Panzerknacker" Stuka slung two 37 mike mike Rheinmetalls under its wings, and was deadly to Soviet T-34 tanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

One day, somehow, I don't know how, but somehow... I'm going to get an Abrams, damnit.

Right up there with the Raptor as one of the coolest pieces of military hardware ever designed, and I've wanted one since the first time I met one in person.

I saw two British Chieftains for sale a while back @ $45k each, but the military doesn't even surplus HMMWVs, so I doubt they'd ever let an Abrahms loose.

I'd be plenty happy with an M8 though.

www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Scroll down for the Chieftains.

ETA: They had US 105mm's at the last WWII reenactment I went too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
img210.imageshack.us/img210/4768/flakqq7.jpg

Oh, I so need details on this, not only the weapon but that Lovely MG-34 I see in the back ground
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]
There's a LOT of WWII vintage weaponry floating around in Europe,  hidden away in barns
and in closets and under beds and floorboards and such.    When it's almost literally
impossible to find a spot in thousands of square miles that wasn't ever within a mile of
some combat action or some troop movements,  a lot of things tend to get dropped,
abandoned, or lost, and a lot of it tends to get found and squirrelled away, too, given
that there is an undeniable coolness factor about military weaponry, and even the most
rabid anti-gunner will admit to the truth of that if pressed.

I'm sure that much of that weaponry is functional and unknown to the respective
governments,  and might come out of hiding if it "comes down to it", if you know what
I mean, and I'm sure you do.

I do not doubt for one moment that there are some live artillery pieces hiding in barns
in Europe,  WITH live ammo, and could be fired within minutes of deciding that the time
has come to quit playing games.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

There was a fully functional Quad 50 (trailer mounted- just hook it to your pintle and tow it away!) for sale at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Phoenix back in December.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This begs the question:

There was a fully functional Quad 50 (trailer mounted- just hook it to your pintle and tow it away!) for sale at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Phoenix back in December.

Oh hell, got shot at by one of those a few years back (re-enactment of course)
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Possibly a 2cm or 3.7cm cannon.  Should take the thing to a museum.

I hope so.. if they dont it would be a waste. it kills me every time i see classics destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Possibly a 2cm or 3.7cm cannon.  Should take the thing to a museum.

I hope so.. if they dont it would be a waste. it kills me every time i see classics destroyed.

+1
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top