Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Still awesome on page 2!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It wasn't just C-130s that were considered for carrier operations.  The CIA tested and prepared to use U-2s off of carriers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E
View Quote

Who drives the el camino on the deck for landings?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not too unlike aerial refueling....though obviously this was a far more incredible feat given the circumstances
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's difficult to believe that its even possible.

Not too unlike aerial refueling....though obviously this was a far more incredible feat given the circumstances

Vastly different forces involved compared to aerial refueling.

We're talking about an in flight aircraft pushing another airplane in flight by a metal rod attached to the back?

Each aircraft has to stay perfectly stable to somehow impart the forces required to keep the front aircraft at an adequate airspeed.

Pushing a military jet in flight? I just have a hard time believing that this happened as it's presented.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We're talking about an in flight aircraft pushing another airplane in flight by a metal rod attached to the back?

Each aircraft has to stay perfectly stable to somehow impart the forces required to keep the front aircraft at an adequate airspeed.

Pushing a military jet in flight? I just have a hard time believing that this happened as it's presented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should go tell Captain Pardo that his Air Force Cross didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
JAG did an episode with that happening & listed WHY they did it during the credits. They also did a remake of the C-130 landing on a carrier deck, again copying a real life incident.

Did the C-130 stick to the carrier's deck ?

Yes it did.

Quoted:
Couldn't find C130 story, any links?

Awesome reading, love the older generations and the pride and morals they showed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp

My uncle flew C130's for the Navy in the '70s. I believe he had to carrier qualify on it, too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are an aviator, yes?

Do you think my skepticism regarding a jet pushing another in flight in this way is unreasonable?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are an aviator, yes?

Do you think my skepticism regarding a jet pushing another in flight in this way is unreasonable?
View Quote

I'm an aircraft mechanic but I fly for fun.  It's a well documented event that led to the award of the medal just below the Medal of Honor, so I see no reason to question it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I couldnt believe that either...........good thing cooler heads prevailed

Quoted:
Amazing display of courage and loyalty to a wingman.

Sadly though, not suprised at the inital reaction of some of the superiors
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm an aircraft mechanic but I fly for fun.  It's a well documented event that led to the award of the medal just below the Medal of Honor, so I see no reason to question it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are an aviator, yes?

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
JAG did an episode with that happening & listed WHY they did it during the credits. They also did a remake of the C-130 landing on a carrier deck, again copying a real life incident.
View Quote

YEP Seen it on JAG Wish they were still on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Damn.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn.

What he said
Quoted:

You are an aviator, yes?

We're talking about a tailhook, which has to be strong enough to bring a 30,000lb (empty) aircraft to a stop from 140ish knots within moments and a short distance, over and over again.

On the flip side, we're also talking about pushing an aircraft in flight, in a descent, which requires a LOT less force than pushing one up to speed from a stop (it's fairly easy for one person to keep a stalled car in motion once it's actually moving, right?).

Seems simple enough to me.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That article really needs to be rewritten though.
View Quote

Fuck that. I'll just make a copy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My uncle flew C130's for the Navy in the '70s. I believe he had to carrier qualify on it, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it did.

Quoted:
Couldn't find C130 story, any links?

Awesome reading, love the older generations and the pride and morals they showed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp

The Herc in the test was modified for the test. Perhaps he was a C-2 pilot?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Caught the arresting cable with the nose gear, IIRC? True story, BTW.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I mentioned the tankers that went outside of the rules to save crews, but here's a quick narrative of a couple:

Link  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So I mentioned the tankers that went outside of the rules to save crews, but here's a quick narrative of a couple:

There was some good fortune as well in the May 31, 1967, Young Tiger mission over the Gulf of Tonkin, when a KC-135 tanker commanded by Maj. John H. Casteel saved six Navy aircraft with a complex and totally unscheduled refueling. The KC-135's original mission was to refuel two F-104 Starfighters, using the drogue adapter that the probe-equipped F-104s required. Casteel's tanker refueled the two F-104s and was then told of an emergency involving two Navy KA-3 "Whale" tanker aircraft, which also used probes.    

The first Whale hooked up, indicating that it had only three minutes' usable fuel. Its systems had malfunctioned, and it could not use fuel it had in its refueling tanks. After transferring 2,300 pounds, the KC-135 then refueled the second KA-3 just as it was notified that two Navy F-8 Crusaders were on scene and short of fuel.

One of the F-8 fighters had only 300 pounds remaining and immediately hooked up with the second Whale even as it was taking on fuel from the KC-135, initiating history's first trilevel refueling. As this was going on, the first KA-3 shared its slender fuel supply with the second Crusader. It then moved into position to refuel again from the KC-135.

So far Casteel and his crew had had a pretty productive day, refueling the F-104s, and saving two KA-3s and two F-8s.

However, the action was not yet complete. Two Navy F-4 Phantoms now arrived on scene, and neither had sufficient fuel to return to their carrier. Already low on fuel itself, the KC-135 turned south toward Da Nang, refueling the two F-4s en route.

When it landed, the KC-135 had less than 10,000 pounds of fuel remaining for its own use. The boom operator, MSgt. Nathan C. Campbell, had earned his pay, saving no fewer than six Navy aircraft. Casteel's crew, including the copilot, Capt. Richard L. Trail, and the navigator, Capt. Dean L. Hoar, received Distinguished Flying Crosses for the action. The crew subsequently was awarded the Mackay Trophy.

In May 1967, a KC-135 flown by Maj. Alvin L. Lewis battled through violent thunderstorms to locate two F-105s that were critically short on fuel. Lewis found the F-105s in a clear area, and put his tanker into a 20-degree dive so that he could position himself in front of the first fighter, which had already flamed out. The Thud was gliding earthward, its pilot preparing to eject, when the diving tanker passed in front to a refueling position. All check lists and preliminaries were forgotten as the F-105 hooked up and took on enough fuel to air-start the engine. The tanker transferred a little fuel, then increased its dive angle to 30 degrees to get enough air through the intake of the fighter to spool it up to starting RPM. Lewis then refueled the second F-105, itself now about ready to flame out. Both 105s made it home.

Link  

Another save of a Phantom, and not a push using the tail hook.  This time it was a tow by a KC-135.

I had heard stories from Viet Nam about tankers towing shot up Phantoms back home to Thailand.  One guy told me about a Phantom so shot up that the tanker towed it all the way to the runway before releasing it.

KC-135s were legendary for having a strong boom, the opposite of what eh KC-10 is legendary for having.  During air refueling it was a standard trick for a Phantom crew to ease off the power just a percent or less and let the KC-135 tow them during refueling so matching speed wasn't an issue.

I was assigned at Seymour Johnson when this happened and A LOT of drinks were bought by the fighter pilots on the TAC side of the base for the tanker pilots on the SAC side.  Before then things were like a line was painted on the floor at the Officer's Club that separated the SAC guys from the TAC guys.  After this, the fighter guys remembered the stories they'd heard about how during Viet Nam tanker crews never had to buy drinks at a bar where fighter pilots were present.

The fighter guys KNEW they owed their asses to the tankers for all the lives they saved.

http://www.tacairnet.com/2014/10/21/north-star-how-a-kc-135-crew-saved-an-f-4-phantom-over-the-atlantic
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty sure those guys can't hear anything...over the sound of how awesome they are.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

its*
View Quote
I like contractions better than possessives

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bad ass!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top