Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I give him mad props, not many Vietnam vets still serving. The stories he could tell...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not really. It's from the later part of the war (70-73).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it odd he had a CAR with a collapsible stock and 30 round mag in Vietnam?

(serious question)

XM177 production was 1966-1967.  That is an early war carbine.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, collapsible stock back then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

Come visit the retro section on here. We'll have you building a Son-Tay Raid clone rifle in no time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

(serious question)
View Quote

Nope. I had one exactly like that one and it had a 30 in it all the time.  I don't think I ever saw one with anything BUT a 30.  

On "sprinkle" mine would empty a 30 lickety-split, almost before you could get you finger off the trigger.  A 20 would be gone in about a second.

ETA:  BTW, the XM177's, or CAR-15's as we called them, all came with collapsible stocks.  They fit inside our aircraft much better with the 11.5" barrel and the stock stowed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did 21 years in RA, dude, and what you said make's me go

He thew away a baseball scholarship and enlisted to be in an Army at war while a good certain percentage didn't want to be there, and he did. Flash forward to now, and the very fact an RA unit asked him to stay, was a testament that he was indeed, the real deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet He's Nasty Guard....

He thew away a baseball scholarship and enlisted to be in an Army at war while a good certain percentage didn't want to be there, and he did. Flash forward to now, and the very fact an RA unit asked him to stay, was a testament that he was indeed, the real deal.

yeah

what the jumping fuck is going on with this thread

the guy is a warrant officer, he's not going to ever be a commissioned officer and would never want to

plus he's a 1971 'nam helicopter pilot

all you guys offering your flabby tit internet criticisms of the guy please fuck off and go eat cheese whiz in the basement until mommy says it's bedtime
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lots of active duty guys never realize that many in the National Guard and Reserves have more experience than them, depending on the job and sometimes in spite of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of active duty guys never realize that many in the National Guard and Reserves have more experience than them, depending on the job and sometimes in spite of it.
I was NG. I completely agree. Guard and Active both have there share of bone heads though.

Pretty good for a Nasty Girl no?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
CW-5 is the Command Sergent Major of Warrant Officers!  Nobody fucks with them!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yeah

the guy is a warrant officer, he's not going to ever be a commissioned officer and would never want to

all you guys offering your flabby tit internet criticisms of the guy please fuck off and go eat cheese whiz in the basement until mommy says it's bedtime
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah

Out of pure curiosity, what is your take on LDOs? Never mind, Army doesn't have them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

The 30 round magazines didn't start showing up in numbers until about '69, iirc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Rather have my blue cord than a Stetson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stetsons are gay.

Wrong. The cavalry Stetson marks the wearer as an Alpha amongst Alphas.

So?  This thread isn't about you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Aren't you a special fuckin' snowflake.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are indeed good soldier stud's within the NG and the AR, but I've seen too many bad one's to actually support what you had said. Get stuck being an OC at NTC, and you'd understand what I mean. The 48th GANG lost a lot of good men in Iraq, because their leadership didn't want to listen or learn from their mistakes, even when their OPFOR was the NVNG giving them some really good AAR's, because they weren't being seen as active duty to them like the 11 ACR is when they're doing OPFOR.

As a whole compenent combined, the Army no matter which part of, has it's fair share of retards, but what I'm trying to say is, do not fall into the stereotyping's until after you've had some experience.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(serious question)
View Quote

That dude is so bad he went forward in time to the Iraq war, nabbed a few 30's and took them back to Nam...AND, he kicked Chuck Norris' ass coming and going.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The last CWO for 19th GRP had 42 years of service, and extended over 60 until they finally said, that's it. Granted he was a mustang and made it to MAJ in the USMC and served with Ollie North in VN, then left and joined the SF. Rose through the rank to be a MAJ and command and SF company. Then when he got tired of being back in HQ, resigned his commission and re-enlisted as an enlisted man in the SF (that meant doing the Q Course again). Finally when he was Team SGT, he went back to the Q for Warrant school.

Not bad for a nasty guardsman.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
His carbine got a little bigger, so did he.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yeah

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah

10/10

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/highrailjon/kuwaitrange001_zps1b0e211b.jpg
You had me all the way until I saw that OD M9 Cold War ancient holster.

WTF man

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope. I had one exactly like that one and it had a 30 in it all the time.  I don't think I ever saw one with anything BUT a 30.  

On "sprinkle" mine would empty a 30 lickety-split, almost before you could get you finger off the trigger.  A 20 would be gone in about a second.

ETA:  BTW, the XM177's, or CAR-15's as we called them, all came with collapsible stocks.  They fit inside our aircraft much better with the 11.5" barrel and the stock stowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

That Car-15 is sweet. How long was the barrel? Bet it is loud as a MoFo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#19]
That's pretty badass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed. If you're not Infantry, then you are support for the Infantry. In spite of what all of them think. But I do respect anyone who made it to CWO5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stetsons are gay.

Agreed. If you're not Infantry, then you are support for the Infantry. In spite of what all of them think. But I do respect anyone who made it to CWO5.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I just had the honor of being interviewed by CW5 John Harris. He is the CWO that is senior in the PENTAGON by sixteen years. Started in Vietnam and still serving. He is a hell of a guy and I feel fortunate to have his recommendation for WOFT
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

11.5" in my XM177E1 Model.  Yep, pretty loud and had a cool long flaming tongue!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stetsons are gay.

C Troop, get both.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

WTF man

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/highrailjon/kuwaitrange001_zps1b0e211b.jpg

WTF man

Hahaha.....  Look at that thing!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#25]

WTF man
View Quote

LOL!!! I didn't care for the issued thigh rig and wasn't gonna shell out my own cash for the high dollar PX trendy stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know that....I'm talking about across the board bias for OCS that is stupid. Anyone who can pass an qual exam should be allowed to train as an officer canidate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army and all services are dics .......cuzz they think you have to spend 4 yrs gettin drunk or baked on "Daddys Money" to be an officer.  A lot of good men were held back because of that stupid rule.

If you mean a 4 year degree, not needed to become a WO.

I know that....I'm talking about across the board bias for OCS that is stupid. Anyone who can pass an qual exam should be allowed to train as an officer canidate.

The Army, of all the services, needs more selectivity in its officer ranks, not less.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(serious question)

You youngsters crack me up, if you take note the stock is made of aluminium as well.  Prolly never seen was of these either.............1100 rpm of goodness.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Army, of all the services, needs more selectivity in its officer ranks, not less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army and all services are dics .......cuzz they think you have to spend 4 yrs gettin drunk or baked on "Daddys Money" to be an officer.  A lot of good men were held back because of that stupid rule.

I disagree. If they stop relying on elitists douche bags, they might improve the ranks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I disagree. If they stop relying on elitists douche bags, they might improve the ranks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, it's the career punching yes men who lie about their USR data up the chain whom are the one's to be screened for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, well.... You're wrong.

Yes. Your opinion is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
We will agree to disagree because you , of course, are incorrect!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You youngsters crack me up, if you take note the stock is made of aluminium as well.  Prolly never seen was of these either.............1100 rpm of goodness.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/7743/m76w.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/7743/m76w.jpg

Well ya learn something every day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Stetsons are gay.
View Quote

My step father was 1st of the 9th. His Stetson was one of his prized possessions. My step brother and I placed it in his coffin. Definitely not gay .
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That looks like a 10" or 10.5" barrel. See how close the FH is to the FSB? My XM has an 11.5" barrel and there's about an inch of space between them.
Yes,it is loud and yes,it's a flamethrower.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Face of Defense: Vietnam Vet to Return from Iraq Duty
Face of Defense ^ | Sgt. 1st Class Christopher DeHart, USA

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 7:16:47 PM by SandRat

CONTINGENCY OPERATING BASE ADDER, Iraq, April 16, 2010 – It's a heady résumé: war hero, veteran pilot, commercial pilot, safety officer, father, grandfather, husband – and most recently - projects officer. With such an extensive list of credentials to his name, one would expect this soldier to be incredibly busy.

Army Chief Warrant Officer 5 William R. Halevy recreates a pose from a 1971 photograph of himself taken in Vietnam. The photo depicted was taken March 25, 2010, at Contingency Operating Base Adder, Iraq, where Halevy is presently serving. U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Christopher DeHart  

However, while Army Chief Warrant Officer 5 William R. Halevy stays busy with his job, he never fails to have time for a smile and a friendly greeting to anyone who crosses his path, seemingly the nicest guy you could meet.
Halevy, who calls Jeffersonton, Va., home, is the Headquarters Company, 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, project manager, and he’s preparing to redeploy from his tour in Iraq.

"My primary role is the management of the ongoing construction projects and facilities management for the continued morale and welfare of the troops," he said.

For such an accomplished career brimming with accolades and achievements, it is remarkable that the headwaters of Halevy's military career are rooted in chance.

"I had a full scholarship to play baseball," Halevy said. "I was in the post office one day and saw the [recruiting] poster for Army Aviation. … It said you just need a high school education and a desire to fly. I went from basic training to flight school as a warrant officer candidate."

He since has established himself as a beacon of knowledge and respect within the Army. Throughout his 36 years of military service, he has been a member of Army Reserve and National Guard units in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Florida, holding positions ranging from a civilian emergency medical services pilot and aviation safety officer to his current position as a U.S. Army Forces Command aviation resource management survey inspector.

Halevy came to Iraq several months before the brigade arrived, but was asked to stay onboard to assist and offer his experience to the staff.

"I was in the process of redeploying with the 28th CAB, as their
"I had only joined the 28th five months prior to assist with several safety issues,” he added, “having been requested by the mostly Guard unit, and I was expecting to stay much longer."

Halevy continues his custom of offering quality workmanship and an unending cheerful attitude in his current position, planning and supervising various construction projects intended to improve quality of life and facilitate greater capability for all aspects of the task force's mission.

These projects include simple things such as modifying or improving the tactical operations center’s office space, initiating repairs on the aircraft maintenance shells, building a new chapel, and more.

He is about to finish his time in Iraq but, true to his work ethic, he has a few things he would like to be able to stick around for if he can.

"I would like to see the chapel through completion and throw the first pitch on the ball field,” he said. “A day off would be nice, but I don't think I will be able to work it in."

Previously, as the Army airfield safety manager for the 28th CAB, Halevy brought a wealth of experience to his role as an advisor to the brigade commander.

A veteran of the Vietnam War, Halevy also is a distinguished helicopter pilot, both militarily and commercially, flying more than 6,270 accident-free hours. Still, despite his vast experience and notable success as an aviator, Halevy's focus has centered on safety.

"I did it. I don't miss it," Halevy said of his days as a pilot. "I've moved on, and I [have focused] on safety. I came here to help."

Despite differences between the two aviation brigades, Halevy said, he admires what each brought to the mission.

"I knew many of the 28th CAB personnel, having worked at [the National Guard Bureau] for four and a half years, and then with the [aviation resource management] team doing their evaluations for six years," Halevy said.

"I thought the 28th did a commendable job of bringing together units from eleven states and then building their infrastructure, of which I'm still overseeing the developing," he said. "However, the 12th CAB's command and HHC present a greater synergy, having been working together much longer prior to their deployment.

"With my career spanning many years,” he continued, “I have been part of many units, and I have learned an organization is only as good as its performers and the leaders they support. The 12th has the best I've seen, and now I am one of you."

Halevy recalled where his career started and how things could have been back when he was flying over and through jungle canopies in Vietnam.

"I dedicate my continued service to Sgt. Gary Lee Westphal, who died 13 June 1971, while serving as my scout crew chief/gunner when he was hit by an enemy machine gun at close range while we were searching for a reported [North Vietnamese army] position north of Quang Tri, Vietnam," Halevy said. "He kept me alive through months of hostile fire with D Troop, 3rd Squadron, 5th Cavalry, 5th Infantry Division."

Halevy has focused all of that potential into his drive to do the best work he can at any task, and he does it all with one of the best attitudes a person can have who has done so much, soldiers here say.

Halevy, who will turn 61 this year, has no plans on slowing down after retirement. While he is looking forward to spending additional time with his wife, children, and grandchildren in the rolling hills of Virginia's Piedmont region, he also plans to devote time to his own hobbies.

"I just don't want to get sedentary after I retire," he said with a chuckle.

(This article includes portions of a previous unpublished article by Army Sgt. Brandon T. Metroka of the 28th Combat Aviation Brigade.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That looks like a 10" or 10.5" barrel. See how close the FH is to the FSB? My XM has an 11.5" barrel and there's about an inch of space between them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went back and looked and I have to agree with your assessment, it doe look like one of the old 10" models.  They changed them to 11.5" in about 1967, so that's a real old one he's sporting there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#38]
One of the sickest mustaches in memory.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I went back and looked and I have to agree with your assessment, it doe look like one of the old 10" models.  They changed them to 11.5" in about 1967, so that's a real old one he's sporting there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gun in the first pic is a 10" model. Here's a few of my clones and they have 11.5" barrels.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

A WO during the Vietnam War was more likely to have not graduated college than have graduated.....

My dad was a CW4 USN before they had CW5 rating never went to college....not one single day....didn't graduate high school either.

Hard work and a serious hard ass....smart man as well....depression era.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A WO during the Vietnam War was more likely to have not graduated college than have graduated.....

My dad was a CW4 USN before they had CW5 rating never went to college....not one single day....didn't graduate high school either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

I would agree with that statement!

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hell, just making CW5 is a legend itself. In 21 years I've only met one, and that dude was a BAMF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet that man is a legend...any CWO I have ever met has always been a bad ass mother fucker.
Hell, just making CW5 is a legend itself. In 21 years I've only met one, and that dude was a BAMF.

Agreed.

Knew a CW5 at Simmons Army Airfield at Ft. Bragg back in the late '90's who had flown Chinooks in Viet Nam...he had some serious stories. I swear you could hear him walking into the hanger from the sound of his big brass balls clanking together.

NOBODY messed with Chief Pranger...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems like an awesome guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My step father was 1st of the 9th. His Stetson was one of his prized possessions. My step brother and I placed it in his coffin. Definitely not gay .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stetsons are gay.

He did not mean it in that way, friend

RIP to your Step Father.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'd be a waste of a perfectly good pilot. There's a very good reason that the best pilots in the Army are WOs. They are technical experts in their field, and don't get that way by going off to do all those silly career progression milestone billets expected of the career commissioned officers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is it just me or was his headwear back then quite a bit more awesome than it is today?
View Quote

I agree, it would have been epic if he still had the old school Air Cav hat in the Iraq picture. I hope that man has retired by now! (the article is from 2010) I wonder how many guys have Vietnam AND OIF campaign ribbons??
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The 30 round magazines didn't start showing up in numbers until about '69, iirc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(serious question)

The 30 round mags could be purchased through an ad in the back of Guns and Ammo magazine as early as 1966.  Many people had mags that they purchased with their own money.  The rifle is an XM177, barrel length is 10", they are not quite as loud as you might imagine because the thing on the end of the muzzle is called a moderator and is actually a suppressor.  Modern clones use a solid copy of this to "get the look" because the real moderators are an NFA item and are very rare and valuable.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]
That flash hider on the CAR in the first picture looks shorter than most I've seen.

What model is that rifle? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 30 round mags could be purchased through an ad in the back of Guns and Ammo magazine as early as 1966.  Many people had mags that they purchased with their own money.  The rifle is an XM177, barrel length is 10", they are not quite as loud as you might imagine because the thing on the end of the muzzle is called a moderator and is actually a suppressor.  Modern clones use a solid copy of this to "get the look" because the real moderators are an NFA item and are very rare and valuable.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

You could get them. They didn't become popular until '69-ish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Absolutely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(serious question)

Absolutely.

Yup . . . 90 degree butt plate and only 3-position adjustment.

dp
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top