Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it work with EBT ?
View Quote
If it is like that of IL then they don't pay it.  The retailer is on the hook to get their money back in many instances from the vendor they bought the product from after proving that they didn't collect the tax from the customer.  It is BS
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Soda taxes aren't about revenue. They're who t trying to stop people from drinking Soda. Just like taxes on cigarettes and other items.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
They should be thrilled that their system is actually working! 

The lower the revenue, the less soda people are buying.  

Congratulations!!!  How clever of them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Still brought in almost $40 million, not exactly a failure
View Quote
and cut the sales base by nearly half - it hurt all the vendors in the taxed area (the ones who actually do the work of stocking shelves, cashiers, drivers, etc) - and gave money to the fucking city government who does absolutely nothing value added for that product.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
and cut the sales base by nearly half - it hurt all the vendors in the taxed area (the ones who actually do the work of stocking shelves, cashiers, drivers, etc) - and gave money to the fucking city government who does absolutely nothing value added for that product.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still brought in almost $40 million, not exactly a failure
And?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Who even drinks soda anymore? Aside from beer, drinking your calories is dumb
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
And anyone that thinks the schools will get more funds from the tax is dreaming.  Well they may get some, but gov loves to tax something for schools, that money goes into the schools account so to speak. Then about the same amount of money goes back out to the general fund.  

It's all a shell game.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So it's OK for the gov to tax things it doesn't like or thinks will help people?

Do you not see the issue with that?
View Quote
No I dont.

If people are too stupid to avoid becoming a burden to society, society needs to step up and make them think harder about their personal choices. If you heard the commercials about how this was negatively affecting poor families on Wic and snap you would barf in your mouth a bit.

Poor people need soda?

Nah, not a good way to spend the money I give them, make a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They do. The tax includes sugard soda, diet soda, and, I believe, juice and 'Kool Aid' type beverages.
View Quote
Yeah, the thing with the diet soda is even though it dosent have sugar it still causes weight gain and D'Beetus.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
So 15% off of their projections?  Am I missing something else cause that sounds like a victory for them.  They dont really care whos business they hurt.  The longer the tax is in play and people are used to it the revenue steadily increases.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
That must mean we must tax sodas three times as much!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is also their goal. 

It's a win all around for them, no matter what you do. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never buy another soft drink again if I lived there.
This is also their goal. 

It's a win all around for them, no matter what you do. 
Wait until the city is used to spending that extra $$$.  Then soda sales go flat ( chuckle) and the extra revenue dries up.

Will the city eliminate spending,  or look for another tax?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So 15% off of their projections?  Am I missing something else cause that sounds like a victory for them.  They dont really care whos business they hurt.  The longer the tax is in play and people are used to it the revenue steadily increases.
View Quote
Sure but how much revenue was not brought in because people who travelled outside the city to get soda also bought other things like gas and groceries that the city didn't get to collect sales tax on?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sure but how much revenue was not brought in because people who travelled outside the city to get soda also bought other things like gas and groceries that the city didn't get to collect sales tax on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/philadelphia/planning-a-trip/fast-facts
Clothing and food bought in groceries is tax-free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"pre-k"

taxpayer funded day care and make work for otherwise worthless people.

More subsidies for the single moms out there.
View Quote
The whores need their kids out of the house so they can turn tricks on backpage and support their Pimp/Baby Daddy. Pre K, breakfast and lunch provided helps out alot. On the weekends. Drop the little feral darlings off a the Libery so the librarians and homeless bums can babysit them
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"pre-k"

taxpayer funded day care and make work for otherwise worthless people.

More subsidies for the single moms out there.
View Quote
Most studies show that Pre-K provides significant benefits for middle class children as well as the poor.  The poor simply benefit more.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Most studies show that Pre-K provides significant benefits for middle class children as well as the poor.  The poor simply benefit more.
View Quote
Most? The study I'm most familiar with is the one the Obama admin revealed on the Friday before Christmas after holding it for six months, because it showed no lasting improvement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#19]
the coke and pepsi guys are here 6-8 hours almost every day sorting and putting out soda. people from philthydelphia come here  (about 10 miles outside city) to get soda. i see people getting full shopping carts of just soda. it is nothing to see 5 pallets of both coke and pepsi come in almost daily.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Im sure the people who work for the distributors or in retail that have been laid off or had their pay cut or had to shift routes out of the city are thrilled to be helping the denizens of Philly with their sugar addiction.

OP's motivations are suspect for not even mentioning this huge factor in his post.

Zero Hedge has a nice synopsis.

Even The Blaze lol

-80 jobs @ Pepsi

-40 jobs @ Coke
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
proof-reading is for suckers
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

My cut and paste has a burst mode.

Quoted:
Im sure the people who work for the distributors or in retail that have been laid off or had their pay cut or had to shift routes out of the city are thrilled to be helping the denizens of Philly with their sugar addiction.
OP's motivations are suspect for not even mentioning this huge factor in his post.

Even The Blaze lol

-80 jobs @ Pepsi

-40 jobs @ Coke
View Quote
Jess Sessions is investigating me and I'm due to be subpoenaed by the House.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
They raised the age for tobacco to 21 inside city limits here. The little store up the road sells about triple the amount of cigarettes they used to. Unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Gotta luv the people cheering for the government's power to use an American's own money to punish them.

Just another peg in the control board that emboldens them to add more and more.   
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most studies show we will all be dead 3 years ago because of global warming.

The ONLY variable to scholastic achievement is parental involvement.  

illiterate baby sitters watching 30 kids on the government's dime so mommy can work at starbucks provides no benefits to the child.

but massive benefits to democrat politicians and single mothers to have even less responsibility for their actions.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gotta luv the people cheering for the government's power to use an American's own money to punish them.

Just another peg in the control board that emboldens them to add more and more.   
View Quote
No surprise.

The people that want the government to use it's power to go after things they don't like far outnumber the people that want freedom.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Soda taxes aren't about revenue. They're who t trying to stop people from drinking Soda. Just like taxes on cigarettes and other items.
View Quote
Which is why folks with EBT are not only able to purchase sugary drinks, they’re exempt from the tax.

That should cut consumption significantly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Taxes on soda/cigarettes/etc are never levied to stop someone from using that product.  Oh, that is how the tax is sold to the sheep but the end game is simply to collect more revenue.

The .gov knows you are going to bitch for a while yet continue to buy the product and pay the new taxes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Where's the Tea Party?
View Quote
Killed by the .IRS under obama
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote
From the zerohedge article:

Mayor Kenney harshly rebuked reports of coming layoffs late Tuesday night.

"I didn't think it was possible for the soda industry to be any greedier," Kenney said in an emailed statement. “…They are so committed to stopping this tax from spreading to other cities, that they are not only passing the tax they should be paying onto their customer, they are actually willing to threaten working men and women's jobs rather than marginally reduce their seven figure bonuses."
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#30]
"partially blamed the shortfall on retailers stocking up on products before the tax went into effect"

Bullshit. No store owner took up valuable/limited space to buy months work of soda.  They just buy it outside city limits.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#31]

"I didn't think it was possible for the soda industry to be any greedier," Kenney said in an emailed statement. “…They are so committed to stopping this tax from spreading to other cities, that they are not only passing the tax they should be paying onto their customer, they are actually willing to threaten working men and women's jobs rather than marginally reduce their seven figure bonuses."
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Incredible. And embarrassing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Soon to be the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives and Sodas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I bet their next step is to raise the tax rate to hit that goal. Plus make it illegal to bring untaxed soda into the city.

View Quote
The power to tax is the power to destroy. Exactly why marijuana legalization won't be the utopia some think it will.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#34]
They also lost on sales of the product itself. Less profit for the store, less taxes being paid to the city. It really is an all around loss for the city.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Basic math seems to be an elusive enigma for liberals.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Taxes on soda/cigarettes/etc are never levied to stop someone from using that product.  Oh, that is how the tax is sold to the sheep but the end game is simply to collect more revenue.

The .gov knows you are going to bitch for a while yet continue to buy the product and pay the new taxes.
View Quote
They want both. And you have to figure the second order effects. Smoking cessation actually increases medical costs for a population.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, not really.

The two I mentioned are meant to help people, your example is purely political pandering to their base.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,just like the Seattle "gun violence tax" is only to prevent,well,gun violence.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2026082_Seattle-Council-Candidate-Grant-Wants-to-Double-Gun-Violence-Tax-.html&page=1&anc=67738252#i67738252

Senator moynihan back in NY years ago used to put forward a 1000% tax on ammo every year to go towards stopping gun violence.

I can see that happening when the dems get back in power.....
No, not really.

The two I mentioned are meant to help people, your example is purely political pandering to their base.
Nanny state bullshit isn't helping people.   It's pandering to the base, but on an issue where you may agree with them.   It's nanny state bullshit regardless of who's ox gets gored.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Make the new taxable items an exclusion from purchase on EBT. 

Help those folks get healthy so that they can go back to work!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top