Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
BTW if no one remembers, PEPSI was the first company to suck up to the Communists to start
selling their products in China and the USSR.

Also PEPSI owns:

Taco Bell

Pizza Hut

KFC
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... her commencement speech at Columbia University.

...Shortly after the speech, her hair started on fire...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Finally, the US (not Canada mind you) - yes, you guessed it - the middle finger. She then launched into a diatribe about how the US is seen as the middle finger to the rest of the world. The rest of the world sees us as an overbearing, insensitive and disrespectful nation that gives the middle finger to the rest of the world.

cunt
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
No pepsi for my either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My take on this is:

She things we should be more sensitive towards everyone else, while ignoring her own insensitivity towards us by using a symbol that has negative cultural connotations.

I wonder if she uses analogies that include ... (na, you get the point though).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Yeah, shame on us for advancing national interests like "Keepin them from flying planes into our buildings."  How selfish and nefarious of us.

Was Iraq flying airplanes into our buildings? No? Next question.

IS (and was) Iraq a training ground for the people who flew our planes into buildings?

IS Iraq the present home of the beheader al Zarqawi?

Yes.

You distrust Bush BECAUSE he takes moral stands on issues of moral values. I know your type. Conspiracy theorist extroadinaire - like  we're after the oil or some such silliness.

I distrust Bush because he caters to the religious right, who I don't trust.
I have no doubt that we ARE there ultimately for the oil, to establish and keep a base of operations in the area that is friendly to us , etc.

Like I say, I got you pegged.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I noticed Pepsi is the liberals choice in soda. Seriously.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Following email to their board:

I recently read the remarks made by your CEO at a Columbia Business School graduation, her comparison of the United States to the middle finger was not only insulting and inaccurate, but also inarticulate.  It's clear that she and Pepsi do not value the independent spirit and freedom that are the fabric of our nation.  I cannot in good faith purchase products from a company that feels this way, therefore I will no longer be purchasing ANY Pepsico products, I'll be replacing my Gatorade with Powerade, and Ruffles with Cape Cod potato chips.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#10]
tag, I can't pull the .pdf file up on this computer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IS (and was) Iraq a training ground for the people who flew our planes into buildings?

I have yet to see any proff that the government of Iraq provided training areas, logistical support, etc to the plane hijackers.

IS Iraq the present home of the beheader al Zarqawi?

Thats one man. A man not even known to the American public when we invaded. So that ahs nothing to do with why we are there.Your point? You think we are there for one man? If there were foreign troops on US soil, I think you'd be seeing stuff done to them by local populations that would make beheadings pale by comparison.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
BTW if no one remembers, PEPSI was the first company to suck up to the Communists to start

Yes, God forbid that a US country would try and open up new markets (Thereby bringing revenue into the US from those countries).  It's called capitalism, and it's a good thing.

Quoted:
I noticed Pepsi is the liberals choice in soda. Seriously.

Probably because you haven't seen them mix booze with soda.  Coke is best for mixing with rum or whiskey, Pepsi is better on it's own.

The analogy I read wasn't an insult to the US.  It was somewhat clumsy and could be construed as anti-American by the hpersensitive, but it didn't look like an insult to me.

I think some folk here are frothing at the mouth over nothing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm switching away from Pepsi.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#14]
cunt. i'll send pepsi an email telling them to kiss my ass and that i'm gonna switch but i'm not gonna...i like diet pepsi too much...[homer drools]mmmmmmm...phenylketelneutronics....mmmmmmmm, aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh...[/homer drools]

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have yet to see any proff that the government of Iraq provided training areas, logistical support, etc to the plane hijackers.

They tried to kill a sitting American president.

They pay-per-murder $25,000 for the suicide bombers families.

What's it gonna take for you to understand that murderers commit murder?

But as I ALREADY pegged you with, you WILL NOT ( as a matter of the will) see these connections because you dislike Pres Bush's morality. Thus, your latent hate for the man has blinded you to the obvious.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, God forbid that a US country would try and open up new markets (Thereby bringing revenue into the US from those countries).  It's called capitalism, and it's a good thing.

Do some research on what exactly went on for PEPSI to get those deals.  It was really reflective of
some of the dealings of Kissinger and Nixon, but then again that should be no surprise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... her commencement speech at Columbia University.

...Shortly after the speech, her hair started on fire...

My school is a shithole. We can't avoid controversy at a simple thing like commencement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Uh, I aint drinking pepsi no more because of what some guy on ar15.com told me..so there"

Is there any other info?

Pepsi is alright-I prefer Coke but a lot of places sell it only (Culver's for instance) but I like it a little.

Coke is less syrup-y than Pepsi.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Are you referring to the plane that never made it to DC or the grenade that got tossed the other day?
We don't know where that plane was supposed to go, and we don't know who tossed the grenade.

Thats a reason to invade the country?

I wasn't aware we were getting that basic in this discussion. Of course murderers commit murders; i don't think THAT is  relevant to the topic we are discussing.

But as I ALREADY pegged you with, you WILL NOT ( as a matter of the will) see these connections because you dislike Pres Bush's morality. Thus, your latent hate for the man has blinded you to the obvious.

Hate? No, I don't hate the guy.Hate is a strong emotion I save for selected people, and he isn't one of them.
Obvious? i don't think its as "obvious" as you seem to think it is.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Obvious? i don't think its as "obvious" as you seem to think it is.

Obviously YOU wouldn't.

As a third party looking on, its pretty obvious.

beleive me or don't, I'm not really invested too much in what you see in yourself. I'm just observing and taking down notes.

You ADMITTED you don't trust Bush in Iraq  BECAUSE of the religious right. Dude - that's not only hate, its paranoia.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Her and her family give to the democratic party, which has been known to make some anti-American comments.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF guys....she mentions nothing about foreign policy or the US Government...All she said to the graduates is not to be ignorant jackasses when conducting business with people of other cultures.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you atvar...the point I've been trying to make. Just because we're at war with a bunch of kooks doesnt mean we have the right to be ignorant in our PERSONAL DEALINGS WITH PEOPLE OF OTHER NATIONS...and expect to not be looked down upon. This aint about foreign policy...its about respect for any culture that you deal with. "A terrorist blows up my country so I have the right to make fun of the customs of a country I'm in"? come on...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Typical arrogant liberated Indian female snobbery. This pathetic speech about the antiquated idea of being culturally sensitive is not the stuff of which boycotts are made. I am concerned for a company with such an idiot running the show however.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

So being good little capitalists and trying to expand their market, sell more product, and generate more revenue while at the same time introducing established icons on western capitalism and democratic society in those countries are bad things?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Pepsi tastes like shit anyway. COKE is my choice. As for all the other crap Pepsi owns, I don't like them either. Screw em.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Does anyone have a link to the article about  how Europe and the Middle East are worried about the image they are portraying to America?  And how they are trying to change it?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Does anyone have a link to the article about  how Europe and the Middle East are worried about the image they are portraying to America?  And how they are trying to change it?

So are you saying we should be following the lead of the Middle East when it comes to intrernational PR?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So your argument is how we should strive to be just like Europe and the Middle East?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
She's an immigrant who got rich in America, but thinks we suck.  Go to the Pepsi website to see her letter about her commencement speech at Columbia University.
http://www.pepsico.com/

She's backtracking now, but her contempt for Americans is obvious.  Nothing but coke for me from now on.

Pepsi, Coke, General Electric, Ford, GM, etc, . . . they all have only one goal: MONEY. That is their loyalty, ergo, they only use "patriotism" when they need to suck us in to do their dirty work.

Miss Pepsi should not surprise you in the least, she's an Internationalist (as are most of her coharts) and her loyalties do not lie with our country. And guess what? Most of our "Representatives" are of the exact mind set.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your argument is how we should strive to be just like Europe and the Middle East?

No that's not what he means and what he's getting to is a GREAT point.

Why are WE always the ones in the wrong?
Why are WE the ones always having to appease or cater to everyone else?
What about our needs and wants?
We are the ones that are willing to take the heat and loose great men in the process but yet WE are the evil ones that start everything.

It's the SAME damn thing, day in and day out.

There have been examples DAILY since the war in Iraq started.

America will get pinned for something little and the world makes it a HUGE deal, meanwhile the opposite side is doing MUCH worse things, but yet ALL of the attention is on the STATES.

The Abu Prison abuse stuff is a GREAT example of what I'm talking about if you still not following.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No that's not what he means and what he's getting to is a GREAT point.

Why are WE always the ones in the wrong?
Why are WE the ones always having to appease or cater to everyone else?
What about our needs and wants?
We are the ones that are willing to take the heat and loose great men in the process but yet WE are the evil ones that start everything.

It's the SAME damn thing, day in and day out.

There have been examples DAILY since the war in Iraq started.

America will get pinned for something little and the world makes it a HUGE deal, meanwhile the opposite side is doing MUCH worse things, but yet ALL of the attention is on the STATES.

The Abu Prison abuse stuff is a GREAT example of what I'm talking about if you still not following.

+1000

Cultural sensitivity is a two way street.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I boycotted Pepsi after they started donating to Anti-Gun causes and they have pretty much stayed on my chit list. They even made NRA's chit list so for me Coke is IT!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say the situations are reversed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I would think that the CEO of Pepsico could have come up with a better analogy than that. She is speaking to graduates of a business school and talks about how global economy can refer to fingers on a hand?

I actually like Pepsi a little bit less now than I did 5 minutes ago. But I won't stop buying it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So being good little capitalists and trying to expand their market, sell more product, and generate more revenue while at the same time introducing established icons on western capitalism and democratic society in those countries are bad things?

Not if you want to bitch every day about the amt. of 'Made in China' products at Wal-Mart
thirty years later as many of our fellow members do.  I personally don't give a crap, keep on
sending the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Dr Pepper for me but mostly iced tea is my number 1.

Dr Pepper is a product of pepsi but I like it TOO
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Stuff a cock in her mouth.

What she said is somewhat of the painful truth with a lot of distortion for her own benefit. She's trying to appeal to foreign interests.

I don't care, though, I'll still drink Pepsi. Tastes a hell of a lot better than Coke.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
She's sounds like an idiot.

No kidding. What the hell, was this a commencement for junior high? Did she use sock puppets when speaking? Did she have a 7 year old child write this?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
much ado about nothing

move along

+1
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
She makes almost 9 MILLION bucks a year!  

I'd be willing to make stupid comments that embarrass PepsiCo for half of that.  

Indra Nooyi, 49
Pres, Chief Financial Officer, Director $ 8.74M
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
much ado about nothing

move along

+1, although i never really liked pepsi. too sweet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#45]
How many of you ranting and raving about her would buy a Glock?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Tagged for later. I gotta go to work now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Her attitude is typical of many "Indian-Americans".  Why are Philippinos and Japanese immigrants to the USA  so much more loyal to the country?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Dr Pepper is a product of pepsi but I like it TOO

Well, shit... my Squirt and A&W (Squirt when I deserve it, A&W for the root beer floats) says "CANNED BY THE AMERICAN BOTTLING COMPANY, NORTHLAKE, ILLINOIS 60164 UNDER THE AUTHORITY OF DR PEPPER/SEVEN UP, INC., PLANO, TX 75024"
So... that'd make it a Pepsi product?
Bah... there's no substitute for Squirt... though, I guess I can replace my A&W Root beer with Barq's.
Though, after the move to Michigan, I probably won't buy much of either.  This state is just straight-retarded, and only someone from Michigan would say differently.

ETA: Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are the same thing.  I don't even want to hear it.  You can tell the difference between Barq's and A&W, Pepsi & Coke, Sprite & 7-UP, but there's no way in hell you can tell the difference between Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

ETA: Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb are the same thing.  I don't even want to hear it.  You can tell the difference between Barq's and A&W, Pepsi & Coke, Sprite & 7-UP, but there's no way in hell you can tell the difference between Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper.

Yes, you can. Mr. Pibb has more syrup and is more spicy. Easy to tell.

Trust me, I've been in a concession stand before. People thought we had Dr. Pepper (we had Pibb) and I'd just automatically give them that. They'd almost always come back bitching.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
How many of you ranting and raving about her would buy a Glock?

I've toyed with the idea of going over to the dark side myself.

If I buy used Tupperware, is that AS bad??

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top