Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The message needs to be that gun control doesn't work. Gun's aren't bad isn't a fight we can win.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll start posting these.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if I can host from FB or not.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
No I'm not. Check the right-hand column. This is the exact data from the photo.

They used the number for murders by rifle, rather than all firearms. Which I think is ultimately fair, given that what's to be banned is likely rifles, but note that handguns have a much higher number and they are probably going to try and limit magazine capacity there as well, against which there is not quite as clear an argument unless you look at the trends over time.

Our side cherry picks data from time to time as well. I'd prefer we aren't able to be legitimately accused of that, even if it's unintentional.

ETA: I've circled the relevant numbers:

That image was supposed to be just for rifles, not all guns. There is a lot more talk about banning certain semi-auto rifles than handguns right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Great thread.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#7]
2011 UCR table 20:  Murder by State, Types of Weapons, 2011

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

rifle: 323
hands. fist, feet: 728
other weapon: 1671, meaning not firearm, not cutting instrument, not hand, fist feet
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're not changing anybody's POV with those things.

This^

BigDozer66

You're not changing my mind about posting to this thread either. Yet here you are trying to be all persuasive....hmmmm...I think they call that irony.

roy d...or is it hypocrisy?

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^

BigDozer66

You're not changing my mind about posting to this thread either. Yet here you are trying to be all persuasive....hmmmm...I think they call that irony.

roy d...or is it hypocrisy?

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]

I would suggest staying on topic.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's heartbreaking and as alarming, troubling and disturbing as it is to look at, I would say it's completely on topic.

roy d....it fully illustrates the hypocrisy

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's heartbreaking and as alarming, troubling and disturbing as it is to look at, I would say it's completely on topic.

Not a popular topic, but valid.

That's the closest I have ever come to someone murdering me.

When my mon was pregnant with me, her Doc told her I "wasn't a viable fetus" and recommended "starting over".

She found a new Doc shortly after that.

I was born perfectly healthy. Now I'm 25 years old, an engineer, father of two (first one out of wedlock, so I know how hard it can be), husband, and firearms enthusiast.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#15]
From my FB page:

Here

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Oleg Volk

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
those last ones were GREAT.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a very good one.

Simple, direct, cites a source, doesn't instantly turn anyone off with an insult.

Link in the graphic is messed up some - its actually:  Table 8
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fully agree.

That is a very powerful message.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for MOAR.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I like some of the Oleg Volk pieces.  There are a lot more on google image search.   It would be nice if there were  a way to focus group or otherwise field test the different messages in this thread.   I have no idea how to do this, except that it would require going outside our walled garden.

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Ost

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I prefer to be an antagonist so I post stuff like this;

So let me get this straight. My guns are bad because they *could* (let's say 1 in 16 trillion chance [hey the same as the national debt!]) be used to kill people, but the abortion clinics that slaughter children every day are okay because that's someone's choice? Gotcha, I guess that's why I'm not a liberal

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Is this thread about 2A or abortion?
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys need to give credit where it is due. A lot of those are by Oleg Volk of The High Road.

You also need to pass on this website:

http://www.a-human-right.com

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Get that abortion shit out of this thread.  I don't need to see that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. The sheep will be sheep no matter what. If Obungo interrupted an overtime tie in the superbowl dressed up as Hitler with Pandoras box in one hand and an aborted fetus in the other teling everyone that were all being sent off to FEMA camps people would still vote for him

With the impending gun legislation, WE ALL (may) become sheep whether we want to or not...

if our ancestors thought like you, we'd still be British subjects.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Here are some more kick ass ones from Oleg:

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cross posting from another thread.

http://i49.tinypic.com/35m1e9x.gif

I got excited about this one, but looking at the data linked the numbers leave off firearms other than rifles.  It would work if you're going directly against AWB (or long gun ban), but fails for gun control in general.  If I say anything at all in a public forum I want to make sure my statements are bulletproof so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#33]
BUMP, my favorite so far:

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I like some of the Oleg Volk pieces.  There are a lot more on google image search.   It would be nice if there were  a way to focus group or otherwise field test the different messages in this thread.   I have no idea how to do this, except that it would require going outside our walled garden.

His site is http://a-human-right.com/

He has a gallery at http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms but be warned that some sections of it are NSFW due to the naked hot chicks.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He has a gallery at http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms but be warned that some sections of it are NSFW due to the naked hot chicks.

It's as if the voice in thousands of basements screamed "YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS" all at once.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's as if the voice in thousands of basements screamed "YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS" all at once.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4961263569470831&pid=1.7

Haven't looked recently, are the Annatrocity pics still in there?
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He is.

I would suggest being ideologically consistent.  You can't defend a natural right of self-defense and ignore the natural right to live.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck them. I'm not interested in debating with dumbass liberals. I'm only interested in berating and ridiculing them, lest anyone else get the idea that they're making sense.

http://lolll.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/If-someone-hates-you-for-no-reason.jpg

This is my favorite one.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#41]
need MOAR pics!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

what he said...as a matter of fact Id say you'd only serve to antagonize anti's with these.

a better approach is to fight the rhetoric with facts and logic...
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what he said...as a matter of fact Id say you'd only serve to antagonize anti's with these.

Haha! That's a good one! Have you ever had a logical debate with a liberal? Have facts and logic ever mattered to them??? We're using "bumper sticker" slogans because that's all they understand anyway as evidenced by they way they vote. They are generally incapable of critical thinking and rational decision making which is why they are anti-gun, anti-Bill of Rights, and pro-Big Gov in the first place.

roy d...no seriously, I'm serious here

ETA: And as a bonus, we get to antagonize them

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha! That's a good one! Have you ever had a logical debate with a liberal? Have facts and logic ever mattered to them??? We're using "bumper sticker" slogans because that's all they understand anyway as evidenced by they way they vote. They are generally incapable of critical thinking and rational decision making which is why they are anti-gun, anti-Bill of Rights, and pro-Big Gov in the first place.

to be honest its not really the liberals/hardcore antis I am trying to persuade.  I already know that they are a lost cause.  The people I try to get through to are the ones that are neutral in all of this, but the only information they receive are the biased reports from MSM.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a very good one.

Simple, direct, cites a source, doesn't instantly turn anyone off with an insult.

I like it, but be aware it is somewhat misleading:  (ETA: From the link in the photo)

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss309/tbonifie/gun-deaths_zps0dc73743.jpg

ETA2: I think the more interesting thing to note is that, on the whole, murder appears to be on the decline since 2007.

The URL in the photo indicates that it is referring to 2011 statistics. You are showing a different time frame.

No I'm not.  Check the right-hand column.  This is the exact data from the photo.

They used the number for murders by rifle, rather than all firearms.  Which I think is ultimately fair, given that what's to be banned is likely rifles, but note that handguns have a much higher number and they are probably going to try and limit magazine capacity there as well, against which there is not quite as clear an argument unless you look at the trends over time.

Our side cherry picks data from time to time as well.  I'd prefer we aren't able to be legitimately accused of that, even if it's unintentional.

ETA: I've circled the relevant numbers:

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss309/tbonifie/gun-deaths2_zps748f6c48.jpg

To be fair, that's why they include a photo of rifles.

I took that to be the point (murders where a rifle was used), not that they were stating murders by all firearms.

Which makes it relevant in an "assualt weapons" ban, since handguns aren't "assault weapons".

Are you sure about that? In the run up to the 94 ban, a statistic was pushed about the high number of cops killed by assault weapons. It turned out they included cop suicides where the cops used their issue weapons because the guns could use a magazine capable of holding over 10 rounds
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#48]
What people forget is that all of the worst mass murderers in history were/are "politicians."

Drop that onto facebook..I bet the bees comeout of the nest then...

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to be honest its not really the liberals/hardcore antis I am trying to persuade.  I already know that they are a lost cause.  The people I try to get through to are the ones that are neutral in all of this, but the only information they receive are the biased reports from MSM.

I agree but that's why I started a "anti-gun liberal friends on facebook" thread rather than a "sway the neutral/on-the-fence folks to our side thread"

roy d...but then again if they're not pro-2nd Amendment, they're all stupid liberals

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top