BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The cops didn't want to shoot your dog?

Nope. They even gave her a little scratching and laughed at her.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bet if you would have called the cops to let them know you would be going home with a gun to clear the house the response time would have been a few minutes.  

EDIT also did you have a trunk shotgun or did you get it from in the house?

My shotgun does not ride in the trunk. It is a valued member of the family and has it's own seat. I carry a load out of slugs and buckshot for it. I had been hunting earlier, and it was full of Hornady SSTs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You were being watched son! Get a Great Dane.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You were being watched son! Get a Great Dane.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

15 years ago I had a Harlequin one. Her name was India.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Game camera time...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mandatory door check every time I leave.

OCD will make me pull a U-turn up the road just to jiggle the knob if I don't specifically remember turning all of the deadbolts.    

I live in an apartment building, my neighbors must think I'm crazy because of all times I leave and come back up the stairs to jiggle the knob. Maybe if they knew about all of the nice shit I have inside they would understand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#7]
reminds me of that southpark adt episode.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
What's this "when you leave" nonsense, my family keeps all doors (security doors) locked at all times. Everyone has keys to let themselves in and know to lock the doors behind them.

A locked security door was the only thing between my mother and a serial killer who killed several women her age. She had the since not to unlock it and sign a paper he was using as a ploy to gain access to older single women's homes.

Home invasions are a common occurrence, better safe than dead, raped or robbed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
This the season to be a stealing fallalalala happy hoildays. I usely take my F'en I don't trust anybody to a whole new level during the holidays. Glad all was safe.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you have any sketchy neighbors that might have watched you leaving?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Something similar happened to me, except I bumped into two armed men in the house and I didn't have an alarm, I just went home because I forgot something.  Police response time was about the same though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody has to be the one and I guess today is my turn.

No disrespect towards the OP but here is the first thing to come to my mind

You arrive home and there is a pretty good chance the Cops are about to arive to look for intruders and after 5 minutes the best action you come up with is to wander around the back yard with a pistol and shotgun? To me that is asking to get shot.

Decideing to clear your house when you think there is a chance of bad guys being inside is one level of risk but to do so when you know the police are about to roll up is a double risk to my way of thinking. Your family is safe outside in your car and you have something so valuable in your house you feel the need to go Charles Bronson?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was the dog left inside or out?

Inside. She curls up on our daughters bed when we leave.

OK . I thought maybe she opened the door to get in.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mandatory door check every time I leave.

OCD will make me pull a U-turn up the road just to jiggle the knob if I don't specifically remember turning all of the deadbolts.    

This, me too.

Wife won't go to the trouble of checking the back doors when I ask, saying "I know I just locked it."

Then when I go to check it...back door is indeed locked, but then I open it to see the security door swinging back and forth in the wind, wide open.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:19:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad to hear nothing bad happened.  I have alarm and cameras.. Nice to be able to check up on the house when away.

Just yesterday I noticed that the neighbors left their garage open.  I knocked, no one was home, so I shut the door for them.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From what i understand cops treat alarms like this as low priority, too many false alarms.

dang, that puts zero faith in my alarm system... :(
my only hope is a buddy of mine is an officer in my city and used to live here so if the address came over the speakers he would know it was mine anyhow.

Luckily we have 4 dogs, I know one of them will at least try and kill a man if they come inside. the other 3 probably wag their tails and wait for a treat...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A locked door, only keeps honest men honest.

It also weeds out the lazy from the motivated.

My dad left his sliding glass unlocked and his home was burglarized.  The police found fresh pry marks on the sliding glass door at the next door neighbor's house.  The thieves apparently checked that door first and when they found it was locked, they just moved on to the next house, my dad's, and struck gold.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#19]
350lbs of dogs in the house, 4 llamas  outside have 100% roam of the property really don't worry about locking my doors or take the keys out of our cars
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cops didn't want to shoot your dog?

Nope. They even gave her a little scratching and laughed at her.

Sounds like fake cops.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
so "they" enter with the alarm warning tone, turn on a light, then leave when the alarm goes off?

How long is your pre alarm timer?

I have mine set to 15 seconds (the shortest time allowed for the unit.)

Glad they were cowards.

Yep.

I honestly don't know, but about a minute, I think.

I am too.

too long, you can adjust it down I believe. I did.

Hell, in 15 seconds you can unlock the door, walk to the key pad and type in your code 3 times if you like.

I have mine set short for when I'm asleep. I want that loud ass alarm waking me up and scaring the shit out of the burglar before he can reach my bedroom and , just before he gets shot.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Somebody has to be the one and I guess today is my turn.

No disrespect towards the OP but here is the first thing to come to my mind

You arrive home and there is a pretty good chance the Cops are about to arive to look for intruders and after 5 minutes the best action you come up with is to wander around the back yard with a pistol and shotgun? To me that is asking to get shot.

Decideing to clear your house when you think there is a chance of bad guys being inside is one level of risk but to do so when you know the police are about to roll up is a double risk to my way of thinking. Your family is safe outside in your car and you have something so valuable in your house you feel the need to go Charles Bronson?

^^Wisdom^^

Even the police won't go rushing into a house if they know everyone is safe and outside. It's a property crime at that point. Safer and more effective to establish a perimeter around the house and let the scum exit on their own. God forbid someone actually went into your house with the intent on harming someone only to have you walk in by yourself.

That response time does suck though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
City or area this was in? If you don't mind of course.

Glad everything turned out okay. We can't leave lawn tools out up here in Franklin County. Sad indeed.

Konger

Lincoln county is just as bad. Heck someone got raped during a burglary less than a mile from me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like they know ya or watch ya.

This . You're  being  watched .

Yep. Neighbor.

And now they know you have property that can net them a couple hundred and is easily sold, AKA firearms.

Time to begin a "sanitization" operation of the immediate area.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like they know ya or watch ya.

This . You're  being  watched .

Yep. Neighbor.

And now they know you have property that can net them a couple hundred and is easily sold, AKA firearms.

Time to begin a "sanitization" operation of the immediate area.

ALL of my neighbors have guns. On any given afternoon you can see dudes walking to their vehicles to go hunting.

I'm starting to think it was the neighbors young son ( 8 or so) who came over to see if my daughter wanted to come out and play. He has no comprehension of "other peoples property" . This morning he came up to the back door that was open to see if she wanted to come out since "she was gone last night."  I've had talks with him before about coming in the backyard if no one answers the front door.  He said yesterday afternoon he had come over to see if she wanted to come outside and play.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top