Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think paypal was pushed to do this by the feds.  It's gonna get harder and harder to do non-cash transactions for guns.
View Quote

This doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the Feds would want to push to electronic transfers CC etc to provide a better paper trail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That is why when you use it be DISCREET.

If you must put something in the message box use a code word that both the seller and buyer agree on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You can buy an NRA membership with Paypal.

Curious that huh?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of gun people willing to support an anti-gun company always amazed me.

Curious that huh?

No fucking way.  Really ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The ironic part is, you can buy just about anything gun related on egay, with a few exceptions, (no mags above 10rds, no brass anymore, etc.), and yet they will MAKE you use GayPal to pay for it.
Same stuff sells on GB, and I'm betting they won't process it.
That's screwed up.
A poor business model, and I'd bet it would change, if a legitimate competitor came along.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I typically buy and sell things using discreet PayPal. Have like 60+ transactions with 0 problems.

Really considering just using my company's credit card machine and running shit through that. Payment's are my only other issue. People dislike personal checks understandably so. Majority of sellers dislike bank checks / certified checks or don't understand them. So its stupid USPS money orders. Which is a pain in the dick.

There really needs to be a widely accepted better alternative.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
bitcoin bitches
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone who's selling gun stuff and accepting payment via PayPal is desperate or retarded.
  1. Dwolla
  2. PistolPay
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My problem with that is I'm 20 miles from the post office. And there's no way I will drive that far for a $20 RVG. We really need to get something pro gun.

Don't you guys think ARF staff and members could come up with a new website that is just as easy as paypal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paypal for non-gun stuff on ebay or buying and selling car stuff.  I've always used USPS money orders for firearms. Couple of days in the mail hasn't killed me yet and it's private.

My problem with that is I'm 20 miles from the post office. And there's no way I will drive that far for a $20 RVG. We really need to get something pro gun.

Don't you guys think ARF staff and members could come up with a new website that is just as easy as paypal?

Not to drive this thread off the cliff but this is EXACTLY the kind of problem that Bitcoin and the service Coinbase were designed to solve.  The trick is getting people to realize that the round trip from CASH to BITCOINS and back to CASH is pretty damn simple.  It's the exact same number of steps and level of complexity as using PayPal.  Companies are slowly starting to figure this out.  Dell, Expedia, and Overstock are using Coinbase now to accept payments.  It's not some fly by night geek hobby thing anymore.

Problem solved.  No new website required.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd take monopoly money first. Call me in 6 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer to use bitcoin. Cheap and you aren't supporting PayPal.

This should become our preferred method. Fuck paypal.

Just open up a coinbase account and start buying some or acquire them through other means.

I'd take monopoly money first. Call me in 6 months.

Then you really have no idea what you are talking about.  The round trip from cash to bitcoins to cash takes a matter of minutes using Coinbase.

Bitcoins are more secure for a seller than credit cards, checks, and money orders by far.  It's not even a contest.  If you are having trouble seeing this, then spend just a few minutes with Bitcoin and then come back to me.  Buy five bucks worth on Coinbase, send them to a paper wallet, import them back into Coinbase, and then sell them.  That will pretty much answer any questions you have about the legitimacy of Bitcoin as an alternative to PayPal.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The 180 day hold happens to so many people that I believe they put large balances into a 6 month CD to make interest and then release them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The amount of gun people willing to support an anti-gun company always amazed me.

Curious that huh?

Halfway down the page on the right.

Comcerning the reason why they refuse to be a knowing part of firearms transactions, I have always believed that they are just liability lawsuit adverse, not wanting to be attacked for being part of the loop that some nutjob mass murderer uses to purchase the weapons he uses in a crime.

Perhaps it is there insurance company's policies that preclude it, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but I have never had a problem with them.

Three rules though.

1. Never refer to any firearm related item during transaction.

2. Have a seperate account in a seperate bank just for Paypal.

3. Never leave balance in the account, put only enough money into it to make a purchase and withdraw all transferred funds as soon as possible.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I typically buy and sell things using discreet PayPal. Have like 60+ transactions with 0 problems.

Really considering just using my company's credit card machine and running shit through that. Payment's are my only other issue. People dislike personal checks understandably so. Majority of sellers dislike bank checks / certified checks or don't understand them. So its stupid USPS money orders. Which is a pain in the dick.

There really needs to be a widely accepted better alternative.
View Quote

I've probably had around 1000 successful discreet Paypal transactions over the past couple years. It only takes one to get you blacklisted. Lots of people have put the item number in, even when asked not to, but. Paypal obviously wasn't searching like they are now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone who's selling gun stuff and accepting payment via PayPal is desperate or retarded.
  1. Dwolla
  2. PistolPay

Few to no buyers know what those are or use them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  1. Dwolla
  2. PistolPay

That's why he put them in large red font.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
  1. Dwolla
  2. PistolPay

That's why I put them in 112pt bold font.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This doesn't make sense to me. It seems like the Feds would want to push to electronic transfers CC etc to provide a better paper trail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think paypal was pushed to do this by the feds.  It's gonna get harder and harder to do non-cash transactions for guns.

The feds are documented trying to restrict access to the "financial system" to undesired industry.  This fits right in.  

I don't think they care about the paper trail.  They are playing the long game.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do not put the item number in the description.

Paypal has apparently started to Google numbers written in the description. If you Google a Gunbroker item number, Gunbroker will pop up almost immediately.

Oh, and when the seller says if you must use Paypal, "I'll send you an invoice", and "Paypal is anti-gun, so the description has to be completely blank", don't go ahead and write the item number in the description anyways.

Sellers aren't retarded, it's not hard to cross reference that Billy McGee bought something for $152.95 on GB and one Mr. Billy McGee sent $152.95 through Paypal.

Now I get to wait 180 days for Paypal to release my money, luckily I only had $179 in the account at the moment.

Fuck Paypal, I don't get why lots of people still insist upon using them to pay for Gun stuff.
View Quote

And that right there is the main reason I won't accept Paypal when I sell something online. I've heard stories again and again about the fuckwads putting a "hold" on other people's money. What a bunch of dickheads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not only has paypal been unfriendly to the gun community since I can remember bu they have held people's money for the same amount of time.

Don't try to excuse them by saying it's the Feds making them do it.

Even without the politics, the fact that they can hold your money is enough reason not to use them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Because at this time there's nothing else quick and easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paypal has apparently started to Google numbers written in the description. If you Google a Gunbroker item number, Gunbroker will pop up almost immediately.

Oh, and when the seller says if you must use Paypal, "I'll send you an invoice", and "Paypal is anti-gun, so the description has to be completely blank", don't go ahead and write the item number in the description anyways.

Sellers aren't retarded, it's not hard to cross reference that Billy McGee bought something for $152.95 on GB and one Mr. Billy McGee sent $152.95 through Paypal.

Now I get to wait 180 days for Paypal to release my money, luckily I only had $179 in the account at the moment.

Fuck Paypal, I don't get why lots of people still insist upon using them to pay for Gun stuff.

A postal money order is difficult? Chances are if you buy a gun you need to send a receiving FFL, put a money order in the same envelope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A postal money order is difficult? Chances are if you buy a gun you need to send a receiving FFL, put a money order in the same envelope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still more work than bitcoin.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
What happened to that gun friendly "paypal" type service?  Did it die?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same thing happen to me, except they held over $1600 of my money. Fuck PayPal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Never conduct a firearms, firearms accessory, or ammunition purchase using any aspect of PayPal services.

The reason is doing so is a direct violation of PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy, dated Oct 24, 2011, which states in part:

Prohibited Activities
You may not use the PayPal service for activities that…
(2) relate to transactions involving....
(i)  ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories,
(j)  certain weapons or knives regulated under applicable law.....

(see https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/AcceptableUse_print).
View Quote

If you violate the Acceptable Use Policy by engaging in Prohibited Activities and are discovered, the PayPal Purchaser User Agreement states:

10. Your Liability - Actions We May Take.

10.3 Actions by PayPal - Restricted Activities.

(g) If you violate the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy, then in addition to the above actions you will be liable to PayPal for the amount of PayPal's damages caused by your violation of the Acceptable Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that $2,500.00 USD per violation of the Acceptable Use Policy is presently a reasonable minimum estimate of PayPal's actual damages considering all currently existing circumstances, including the relationship of the sum to the range of harm to PayPal that reasonably could be anticipated because, due to the nature of the violations of the Acceptable Use Policy, actual damages would be impractical or extremely difficult to calculate. PayPal may deduct such damages directly from any existing Balance in the offending Account or any other Account you control.
(see https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#9.%20Restricted%20Activities.)
View Quote

Therefore, by using PayPal to conduct a firearms, firearms accessory, or ammunition purchase you are taking a $2,500 gamble that they will not find you out and decide to invoke this clause of the agreement you entered into freely when opening a PayPal account.

Note it is unilateral and gives them permission to take that minimum of $2500 from … any other Account you control. like your linked bank account or credit card.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I buy a LOT of paintball and computer equipment.  Basically, if you don't use Paypal for those things, you're not getting the items (money orders, lol).

Guns?  I've done bank transfers, I've done money orders, I've done paypal (before their ban).

I also wish there was a decent way to transfer cash without using paypal, because of their policy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Postal money orders every time for exactly that reason.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I buy a LOT of paintball and computer equipment.  Basically, if you don't use Paypal for those things, you're not getting the items (money orders, lol).

Guns?  I've done bank transfers, I've done money orders, I've done paypal (before their ban).

I also wish there was a decent way to transfer cash without using paypal, because of their policy.

View Quote
Have you looked into a coinbase account?  Fairly easy to set up.  Very limited fees.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck paypal

I refuse to make a purchase with paypal , or accept it as payment
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a credit card processor linked to Gunbroker, so it's actually easier than using Paypal. You click a link through Gunbroker and punch in your CC, and done. But yes, I guess if the seller isn't set up for credit cards. I should have said, since I have a CC processor, I don't understand why.
View Quote

If you're setup to take CC then why do you continue to accept PP? We accept CC only on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Google Wallet has served me well in this regard. No issues yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is.  Will need to be on my computer to get the information.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bitcoin does not remove the FFL requirement. I know, you can legally email an FFL too, but have never bought from a seller who accepted it that way, they still wanted a hard copy mailed. Envelope, money order,FFL, stamp. Anyone who can change their own oil can do it in a reasonable amount of time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bitcoin does not remove the FFL requirement. I know, you can legally email an FFL too, but have never bought from a seller who accepted it that way, they still wanted a hard copy mailed. Envelope, money order,FFL, stamp. Anyone who can change their own oil can do it in a reasonable amount of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SNIPe.

I'll email the form if they accept it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIPe.

I don't understand those who wont accept emailed FFLs.  EZ Check will confirm legitimacy and the address.

Heck, some large distributors no longer send copies of their FFL at the direction of the BATF.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#36]
clearXchange

I have used this bank to bank transfer for a couple of firearms I have sold.

COSTS NOTHING and no delay in receiving funds as with PayPal.  I wish it were better known, as it works very well.

ETA: I do not bank with their "member banks".  It should work with any US banking institution.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Paypal started as a Wells Fargo company, kinda ironic with it being anti-gun. I just use my own invoice numbers for my shop and my invoice software and not once has my business account with paypal ever been questioned and it is painfully obvious on my business name what I do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Have you looked into a coinbase account?  Fairly easy to set up.  Very limited fees.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who in the gun business actually accepts bitcoins?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It shouldn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't.

No kidding. People are stupid.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shouldn't.

And they vehemently defend using paypal while they are at it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And yet, they people that boycott paypal pay taxes to a anti gun Gov't, buy food from companies that are anti-gun, buy cars from anti-gun companies, etc... I could go on..... That ignores other moral conflicts like supporting gay marriage, paying for abortions, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, they people that boycott paypal pay taxes to a anti gun Gov't, buy food from companies that are anti-gun, buy cars from anti-gun companies, etc... I could go on..... That ignores other moral conflicts like supporting gay marriage, paying for abortions, etc.

This.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't use PayPal for gun stuff, and won't accept it as payment here, for these reasons.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like we have a choice in paying taxes.

But please, list the anti-gun car companies, grocery stores, etc.............I could go on.........................

Those other things are just flak thrown out as a smoke screen.  They are irrelevant to this subject.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I am trying Google Wallet out, hope more people get on board. I even got a Google Wallet MasterCard debit card for free so I can access money at ATMs or anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

No fees unless you fund with a CC.

https://www.google.com/wallet/index.html

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But please, list the anti-gun car companies, grocery stores, etc.............I could go on.........................

Those other things are just flak thrown out as a smoke screen.  They are irrelevant to this subject.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't see how boycotting a private company's service due to their beliefs and rules is identical to tax evasion, which the government enforces through threat of violence?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am trying Google Wallet out, hope more people get on board. I even got a Google Wallet MasterCard debit card for free so I can access money at ATMs or anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

No fees unless you fund with a CC.

https://www.google.com/wallet/index.html

View Quote

Actually, I had used some form of Google credit card processing for a few hours when my site was first published, then Google shut it down immediately after the first sale. It was several years ago, I don't recall all the details.

Google Wallet isn't anti-gun though?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Their company, their rules.

Because freedom.  Because 'murcia!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their company, their rules.

Because freedom.  Because 'murcia!

Tcrpe you remind me of somebody else that used to say that. Can't quite put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I prefer to use bitcoin. Cheap and you aren't supporting PayPal.
View Quote

The bulk of the people who support BitCoin are pozzed out reddit shitlibs. I'd rather support PayPal given the choice.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#49]
fuck paypal. they only fuck with you when there is money in the account. you never hear of them locking an account with 5 bucks always over a hundred bucks. fucking cocksuckers.
google PAYPALSUCKS.COM    Read the horror stories for your self.

They boned me once!!

I have a website and pay 25 bucks a month. that comes with a cc processor i take cc/dc right over my phone.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can't see how boycotting a private company's service due to their beliefs and rules is identical to tax evasion, which the government enforces through threat of violence?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silly me............................
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top