User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sony and Nintendo have their systems scheduled for 2006, Microsoft has stated that it wants to be out later part of 2005.  While Sony is behind right now it is because they came out first.  Sony has the largest user base by far.  They are the leader right now, even though they have the least powerful system.

So Christmas 05 or later for new systems...I guess we differ on what "right around the corner" means.  Personally, I wouldn't delay purchasing a system for my kid now (if I had kids lol).  

I just don't see how you can say you don't think MS will be in the vid game business in the long haul, given the $$ commitment they've already coughed up, the Live infrastructure they've put in place, and the fact that they WILL release another system.  Like I say, they have a cash cow in Live, $60 Million a year and growing....that's not chump change, even to MS.  

As for Sony being number one in terms of sales, user base, etc, I'm not disputing that...but do you *really* think Sony would be coming out with the PS3 so soon if not for the Xbox?  I firmly believe they would like to have got another few years out of the PS2...they certainly weren't getting beat up too much by the Gamecube, but MS made a big enough entry into the business to warrant moving things up a year or 2.  

Either way, gamers win...I"ll have all the new systems I'm sure.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have to be the different one here.

PS2 has lots of different games (down to PS1), Light Gun compatibility, plays CDs, DVDs, etc...

It's very portable, and has a much larger game selection than x-box.  I don't know many 5yos that groove on HALO.

For hardcore gamers the x may be the answer, but for a growing kid the ps2 is IMHO the best bet.

No, you're not different.  I enjoy the PS2 for it's ability to play all the PS1 games, as my budget doesn't always allow for the new $50 games out there.  My 8  year old son loves it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first wanted a next generation system, I was deciding between the PS2 and Xbox.  I fell for the marketing hype of the PS2 being backward comptible with the PS1, so I got the Sony.  I put in about 3 of the old games, compared them to the new ones, and damn near got seasick from the shitty old graphics.  I gave my PS1 games away the next day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sony and Nintendo have their systems scheduled for 2006, Microsoft has stated that it wants to be out later part of 2005.  While Sony is behind right now it is because they came out first.  Sony has the largest user base by far.  They are the leader right now, even though they have the least powerful system.

So Christmas 05 or later for new systems...I guess we differ on what "right around the corner" means.  Personally, I wouldn't delay purchasing a system for my kid now (if I had kids lol).  

I just don't see how you can say you don't think MS will be in the vid game business in the long haul, given the $$ commitment they've already coughed up, the Live infrastructure they've put in place, and the fact that they WILL release another system.  Like I say, they have a cash cow in Live, $60 Million a year and growing....that's not chump change, even to MS.  

As for Sony being number one in terms of sales, user base, etc, I'm not disputing that...but do you *really* think Sony would be coming out with the PS3 so soon if not for the Xbox?  I firmly believe they would like to have got another few years out of the PS2...they certainly weren't getting beat up too much by the Gamecube, but MS made a big enough entry into the business to warrant moving things up a year or 2.  

Either way, gamers win...I"ll have all the new systems I'm sure.  

Yes I do.  They are the leader and are setting the timetable.  I don't see how they are rushed.  PS2 has had a long run so far, and every system they sell now (and for the past several years) is icing on the money cake, compared to MS who looses money on every system they sell.  MS set their release date after Sony announced theirs.  Nintendo may not be providing too much competition to Sony, but they are to MS and neither one of them is much of a threat to Sony right now.

The whole point of this is that in less than two years we will have a total of three new systems to pick from.  I call that around the corner (compared to 6 years, which is about the life span of a system).  If I did not own a system now, and was set on getting something, I am of the mindset that 2 years is not very long to have a system before it becomes obsolete.  In the case of a x-box you only have a year.  I would pick from either a PS2 or a Gamecube to hold me over until the new systems, because the price is cheaper than x-box.  In my view both Sony and Nintendo are sure bets of still being around after the next round of systems because they are very profitable.  X-box seems much shakier to me.

eta - Looking a total world sales (which you have to do) X-box and Gamecube are very close to each other with Sony way way ahead of both of them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In the case of a x-box you only have a year.  I would pick from either a PS2 or a Gamecube to hold me over until the new systems, because the price is cheaper than x-box.  

Well, the PS2 and the Xbox are the same price...$149.00, so that doesn't make either one a better buy than the Gamecube, which has better kids games to boot.  

MS has made a very successful foray into the video game business, and they have the added joy of the Xbox Live monthly cash flow --$60mil a year and growing--into their coffers to offset the $$ lost on the hardware.  They have gotten their foot in the door in a worldwide business worth billions of dollars, a feat they accomplished in only 2 years.  They dont' have to be "number 1" to make money.  If your personal opinion is that they'll walk away from that, or that HALO 2 won't sell assloads of systems this year, thus increasing their market share, so be it.  MY opinion is that MS is here to stay, and that they're certainly in this for the long haul.   If I'm wrong, and MS is out of the video game business, I'll buy you a beer.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
PS2's break often. Not kid friendly.

Xbox's can be altered to do a dozen fun things. Requires CDs to work. Not kid friendly.

GameCube's are made for kids and are the cheapest.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top