Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Type 2 diabetic

+1

being a fat lazy arfcom potato is not good on the body.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My hubby, westendg, suffers from extreme anxiety disorder and depression, takes megadoses of antidepressants.
He also has Type 2 diabetes, high cholestral and high blood pressure. He's working on losing weight so hopefully some of that will get better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Nehpritis-Kidney Disease

I take four meds a day and HOPE that I won't ever need a transplant!

Could have come from inhaling one of more of the following:

lead
gun powder
copper

titanium
acetone
keosene

mercury
aluminum

solvents
coolants

tapping fluids
cutting oils

Shooting and machine-trade related metals and fluids

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Lost a kidney to renal cell carcenoma in 2000.  Lucky that it was still encapsulated.  Still getting tests and not done with DR till 2010.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just diagnosed with type II diabetes last week.  Still trying to figure out what I can eat or drink for the rest of my life.....

Very minor, though, compared to some of the stuff others have posted.

(ETA - I'm not overweight. either, but was two years ago, and that was when I probably contracted it)
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 Type 2 diabetic for the last 2 years.

Turned 40 in 2000 and the warranty ran out. Came down with severe pancreatitis. Surgeons had to remove half my pancreas which means I don't produce enough insulin. Diagnosed with diabetes in 2002. Controlled by diet, excercise and medication.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Black Rifle Fever

+1 on the BRD.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Acute Intermittent Porphyria.

Thankfully, a pretty mild case that I control by diet, but attacks are absolutely no fun, and have gotten more painful as I get older.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Alpha 1 anti tripsin something. Basically I am predisposed to lung disorders.

<---6 weeks premature.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just diagnosed with type II diabetes last week.  Still trying to figure out what I can eat or drink for the rest of my life.....

Very minor, though, compared to some of the stuff others have posted.

(ETA - I'm not overweight. either, but was two years ago, and that was when I probably contracted it)

Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to the Lord (daily), my only disease is 1911itis.  I've got my AR-10itis under control.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been fighting colon cancer for 2 years now and I think we got it whipped. Atleast I hope so. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think so
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Well.................lets see
Thyroid doesn't work
Depression since the late 1980's ( but rather than wanting to kill myself I want to kill others)...Damn
I'll have to take a differant pill now.

Crohns Disease, it is like having bleeding ulsers in your colon I was diagnosed with that 18 months ago,
luckily there is treatment, but no cures
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's see....

Hypertension
Sleep Apnea (a RAGING case, I might add)
Some problem that affects my BP and heart rate in wild swings that we can't figure out.  But a certain medication I take seems to have it under control.

Yee ha.

Woody
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy shit, I had no idea how prevalent diabetes is!!!...........+1, diagnosed 1 month ago, 4 injections per day.    

.....it pains me to see a disease like this take so many of THIS countries youth. The major contributing factor being their physically complacent, FAT and LAZY. ME...I have degenerative Central Nervous System(CNS), multiple neuopathies, RSDS, and the list goes on,... but I'm out at the gym almost daily@50yrs old.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease.  Type 1 diabetes occurs because the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas are destroyed by the body's own immune system. Normally, the body's immune system fights off foreign invaders like viruses or bacteria. But for unknown reasons, in people with type 1 diabetes, the immune system attacks various cells in the body. This results in a complete deficiency of the insulin hormone.

Doctors don't know all the factors that lead to type 1 diabetes, but have identified the fact that an environmental trigger plays a role in causing the disease.

Type 1 diabetes appears to occur when something in the environment - a toxin or a virus - triggers the immune system to mistakenly attack the pancreas and destroy the beta cells of the pancreas to the point where they can no longer produce sufficient insulin.  Markers of this destruction -called autoantibodies- can be seen in most people with type 1 diabetes.

It's got nothing to do with weight or lifestyle.  

So shut your piehole when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#17]
No I'm not.  Thank God.
I wish I could say the same for my mother.  This past July, she had a stroke and has lost much of the use of her left arm.  When she was admitted, she found out that she is also a diabetic and has breast cancer that has now spread to her bones.  She had a masdectome (spelling?) that removed her right breast.  As soon as her incisions heal completely, she will begin chemotherapy to treat the cancer in her bones.  She is only 54.  Man, I am beginning to wonder if my own mom will be around in 10 yrs.

Edited for typographical errors.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#18]
hypertension, controlled by daily meds. Also anxiety & depression, (daily meds for this also)
Funny thing though, since being laid off, instead of being upset about losing my job, I'm more calm and controlled. Things don't upset me anymore like they used to.  Must of been "workplace related." Guess it was time for a change.(Actually, I'm working harder than when I was "working."  I'm going down to my Dad's farm to help cleanup after the storms this weekend.) Considering the alternative, I'm truely blessed.

Hessian-1hanging in there!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy shit, I had no idea how prevalent diabetes is!!!...........+1, diagnosed 1 month ago, 4 injections per day.    

.....it pains me to see a disease like this take so many of THIS countries youth. The major contributing factor being their physically complacent, FAT and LAZY. ME...I have degenerative Central Nervous System(CNS), multiple neuopathies, RSDS, and the list goes on,... but I'm out at the gym almost daily@50yrs old.

Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease.  Type 1 diabetes occurs because the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas are destroyed by the body's own immune system. Normally, the body's immune system fights off foreign invaders like viruses or bacteria. But for unknown reasons, in people with type 1 diabetes, the immune system attacks various cells in the body. This results in a complete deficiency of the insulin hormone.

Doctors don't know all the factors that lead to type 1 diabetes, but have identified the fact that an environmental trigger plays a role in causing the disease.

Type 1 diabetes appears to occur when something in the environment - a toxin or a virus - triggers the immune system to mistakenly attack the pancreas and destroy the beta cells of the pancreas to the point where they can no longer produce sufficient insulin.  Markers of this destruction -called autoantibodies- can be seen in most people with type 1 diabetes.

It's got nothing to do with weight or lifestyle.  

So shut your piehole when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

I think he is talking about all the young kids getting Type 2 diabetes which can be controled by weight and lifestyle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Black Rifle Fever

+1 Ooooh, I feel sick!!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Severe Rhumatoid arthritis… needed new hip and knee 5 years ago, need another knee before Christmas… and Hypertension, age 45… I sure keep the Doctors busy!

Andy
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I posted the above before I read how many of my fellow ARFCOMers are suffering.    I am truly sorry for the grief you must endure.  I will say a prayer for all of you tonight.

Originally Posted By: LightSpeed2
Crohns Disease, it is like having bleeding ulsers in your colon I was diagnosed with that 18 months ago,
luckily there is treatment, but no cures

I buddy of mine was diagnosed with Crohns disease.  He's had two or three surgeries and takes a lot of meds.  He also has to have his blood checked every two or three months.  But he says that's nothing compared to the agonizing spells he would have before the doctors got it under control.  He can eat anything he wants now.  So hang in there!

-YJ
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Thankfully, not now, but we all will get one.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top