Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
As with most of these kind of hot-button questions (like global warming ect) the question is both YES and NO.

If all the world had a similar culture and similar levels of technology to the United States the answer would be NO.

But since most of the world is still living largely in the early Iron Age, augmented by scraps of technology thrown down from on high, for practical purposes the answer is unfortunately YES.

Because neither population or technology is spread evenly things get very bad in some areas much faster than for the whole.  Hati is the classic case of irretreveable overpouplation.

The people who say overpopulation is no problem usually forget that the world isnt limited to just North America, Western Europe, and Japan- the only areas where technology/resources/population are fairly close to being in balance and stable.

Unfortunately those who do agree overpopulation is a problem for the world as a whole- somehow seem to find a way to blame it on those same countries that are doing things more or less right.  That they are successful only because they rob the rest of the world of resources... to feed their "greedy market economy"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Life isn't precious.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The ideal world population level is me and the Victoria's Secret models.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd say that the real ideal population is rather hard to define. It depends heavily on the lifestyle that the ideal population is living.

If everyone is going to be hunter-gatherers living off of the land, then the ideal population of the planet could be just a few hundred million, or less.

OTOH, if we pack everyone as densely as humanly possible and make use of every food and energy production technology at hand in the most space-efficient way possible, the ideal population could be in the hundreds of billions.

Of course, we can never get the entire planet to live any particular lifestyle, so the true ideal would be somewhere in the middle of those numbers, which isn't very helpful.

We also don't have perfect, free trade across the whole planet, so most of the problems are fairly regional. Some areas have a fairly stable population, while others are overpopulated. The overpopulated areas will need to have either less people or more technology, or both.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Texas has 268,581 sq miles . An acre is 1/640 of one square mile. Ergo 268581 * 640 would only give an acre to 171,891,840 people.

Ooops. I stand corrected. By my calculations I get the following;

World population...................................~6,585,289,000
Square Miles Land in Texas.................................261,914
Acres in Texas...........................................167,624,960
Population per Acre.................................................39

Condos, baby! Let’s get building for a better tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texas has 268,581 sq miles . An acre is 1/640 of one square mile. Ergo 268581 * 640 would only give an acre to 171,891,840 people.

Ooops. I stand corrected. By my calculations I get the following;

World population...................................~6,585,289,000
Square Miles Land in Texas.................................261,914
Acres in Texas...........................................167,624,960
Population per Acre.................................................39

Condos, baby! Let’s get building for a better tomorrow!

Precisely. We could fit the entire world's population in Texas with roughly the population density of New York City.

The planet is in no danger.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]

According to the New World Order it's around 500,000,000.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The world is not overpopulated (in the sense of too many people for too few resources), nor will it ever be.  The population growth rates have been dropping for years - and it is pretty easy to look up when the world population is going to plateau and start to drop off.  I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but it's not too drastic.

Use of resources and population density are obviously crucial issue to manage - but it's not a problem that cannot be solved.  Plus, like others have said, some disease will at some point take a big chunk out of mankind, given our fast global inteconnectedness these days.  

My guess as to the "ideal" world population is probably a couple of billion, though.

You claim it will never be? Unless we find cold fusion it is inevitable. Also people seem to forget that living in NY density IS NOT an accurate measure of How much acreage is needed to support each person. You need to take in Food production like how many acres of farm are needed to feed one person per year, Waste, How much space is needed to store or waste. Even if our waste was 100% recyclable (it never will be) it will take time for it to be reabsorbed. Oxygen, how many "greenery" is needed to to properly recycle the CO2 of each person. ETC ETC. And some things are only cyclical if they are properly maintained. If all the Top soil gets eroded due to overfarming (which happened in Rome) there is no going back. Is America overcrowded? no. But guess what Neo-cons, The world is filled with tons of people outside the US!!!!! And their problems WILL affect us no matter how hard we try to ignore it. A perfect example is this Global Jihad that seems to be going on right now. MY "pet theory" is this, This has very little to do with Isreal or Checnia or whatever it has everything to do with overpopulation in the Islamic world. They have too many people in a worthless desert so they  end up more poor and desparate than ever before. Also because of thier Polygamy they have a Surplus of unwed, angry, unlaid,unemployed males who have nothing better to do than blame Jews for their own problems. So like the Klingons in "the undiscovered country" movie,  it's attack in the hopes of gaining land and booty. And if some die well it will then relieve the population pressure. And so now WE have to deal with their cultural shortcomings by culling the herd.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
According to the New World DisOrder it's around 500,000,000.

There fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:   Precisely. We could fit the entire world's population in Texas with roughly the population density of New York City.

When you consider that big ass park they have in the middle of it, we could probably squeeze everyone in just a little tighter and use even less space!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ideal world population:

Christians:..........................? Billion

Agnostics.............................? Million

Atheists................................?

Buddhists/Shintoist/Other.......?

Unlisted/Unknown/Hindu.........?

Jewish...................................?

Muslim...................................0
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#12]
God said "Be fruitful and multiply, fill the Earth and conquer it."
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
See sig line for solution to potential over population.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
What gets me are the people that can't hardly feed themselves but they are making babies every chance they get.  They need their sex organs cauterized.

rj
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Take a drive from PA to CA along the Southern border, or even through Mid America.  While you are driving hours and hours without seeing another house, and only the rare gastation, ask yourself this same question.  You may come up with your own answer then.

I have done that drive quite a few times over the last 15 years, along with the northern route back to PA.  Overpopulation can be seen, even in the desert areas and other low population areas.

How much has Phoenix grown population wise in the last 20 years?  How about D/FW, Houston?

Nevada/Las Vegas?  Montana?  Idaho?

There are few remote areas in this country anymore, it's especially horrible on the east and west coasts.

Cities are eating more and more rural areas.  Philadelphia is roughly 3 hours from me, and sometimes I have business there.  Looking at a map, Philadelphia really extends in PA to north of Allentown and west passed Harrisburg.  New York City, Atlanta, Phoenix, LA, etc can all be viewed in this way, as supercities that take up the city itself and many miles of suburb/city around it.

You are completely wrong. I fly it and can tell you with absolute certainty that we have not even begun to tap this continent. You should post about something you actually know about.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The world is not overpopulated (in the sense of too many people for too few resources), nor will it ever be.  The population growth rates have been dropping for years - and it is pretty easy to look up when the world population is going to plateau and start to drop off.  I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but it's not too drastic.

Use of resources and population density are obviously crucial issue to manage - but it's not a problem that cannot be solved.  Plus, like others have said, some disease will at some point take a big chunk out of mankind, given our fast global inteconnectedness these days.  

My guess as to the "ideal" world population is probably a couple of billion, though.

You claim it will never be? Unless we find cold fusion it is inevitable. Also people seem to forget that living in NY density IS NOT an accurate measure of How much acreage is needed to support each person. You need to take in Food production like how many acres of farm are needed to feed one person per year, Waste, How much space is needed to store or waste. Even if our waste was 100% recyclable (it never will be) it will take time for it to be reabsorbed. Oxygen, how many "greenery" is needed to to properly recycle the CO2 of each person. ETC ETC. And some things are only cyclical if they are properly maintained. If all the Top soil gets eroded due to overfarming (which happened in Rome) there is no going back. Is America overcrowded? no. But guess what Neo-cons, The world is filled with tons of people outside the US!!!!! And their problems WILL affect us no matter how hard we try to ignore it. A perfect example is this Global Jihad that seems to be going on right now. MY "pet theory" is this, This has very little to do with Isreal or Checnia or whatever it has everything to do with overpopulation in the Islamic world. They have too many people in a worthless desert so they  end up more poor and desparate than ever before. Also because of thier Polygamy they have a Surplus of unwed, angry, unlaid,unemployed males who have nothing better to do than blame Jews for their own problems. So like the Klingons in "the undiscovered country" movie,  it's attack in the hopes of gaining land and booty. And if some die well it will then relieve the population pressure. And so now WE have to deal with their cultural shortcomings by culling the herd.

I am not really worried, the planet's magnetic field will be gone in less than 2000 years anyway and will wipe out most life on this planet if not all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
"A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet..." - Agent Smith
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Just take a look at Google Earth.

I would say in the next 50 years we will have reached our limit.

THere  is only a very small percentage of land not already developed.  Most of it mountainous.  All of the good land is largely taken.  Unless you want to live in Suburbia and Urbania.  I like suburban/rural life myself.

It is the couples who have more then 2 children that cause this planet problems.

Doubling your world population in 50 years is an ENORMOUS problem,  especially if it continues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ideal world population:

Christians:..........................? Billion

Agnostics.............................? Million

Atheists................................?

Buddhists/Shintoist/Other.......?

Unlisted/Unknown/Hindu.........?

Jewish...................................?

Muslim...................................0

IBTL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
according to NWO types, ideal population is less than 500 million...200 million is the number

please explain
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Its only overpoulated  to folks who live in the city.

there is easily room for 10 billion
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Read "the myth of too many" by julian simon.

The Earth, with total (totalitarian) control of every resource and utilizing the best of every farming, conservation etc method could support something around 80 billion persons.

Comfort?  Individualism?  Freedom?  Almost non-existent.  But technically possible.

As for all of you who claim to want to see a reduction in current population . . . pppffffttt!!!

There is no 'population' problem in the US.  

I got a mailer from some foundation that makes the same claim, saying that if we could reduce population in the US we would all be RICH!!!!  Since everybody is RICH!!!!  Nobody has to be POOR anymore.  So tell me, Einstein, who empties the garbage in Utopia?  Hmmm?  Zero population hoodoo is moronically stupid.  

Come back and say that when your neighborhood looks like a scene out of City of God.

Honestly, I believe the Earth is a quasi-living system that has the ability to put a serious dent in whatever is killing it, be it with volcanoes, disease, etc. Overpopulation is killing it, and its not really the industrialized countries that only are to blame. Something like 80% of the de-forestation that occurs worldwide, which kills ecosystems and fucks up our planet stems from small-scale third world agriculture, mostly in the form of slash and burn farming. Some family living in the jungle burns down two acres to sustain themself, the soil is depleted and they dont know how farm correctly, so they burn another 2 acres so on and so on. Im no expert, so if this is wrong let me know.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Take a drive from PA to CA along the Southern border, or even through Mid America.  While you are driving hours and hours without seeing another house, and only the rare gastation, ask yourself this same question.  You may come up with your own answer then.

+1  Take a look out the window on a flight from DEN to LAX.  Except for LAS, you will see very few signs of life for 900 miles.  

Fly over WY, MT, ND, SD, CO, KS, and 40 others.  With the exception of the tiny East Coast States, We are not overpopulated, just over-crowded in certain small areas.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
First who is taking the headcount in the shitholes around the world? Second, last I recollect Europe and Russia don't even know what a Suburb is, no such animal.  They live in high rises, Russia has a lot of open space.  
The water issue due to the magnetic field around the planet and atmosphere water leaves one place and ends up in another it doesn't fly out into space and dissapear.  
Those that hope for war to kill off the population, it has been war that has increased it.  At the end of WWII more males were born then females the term "Baby Boomers" ring a bell.  
The Arabs concider a small family to be 7 a large family can have 18.  I have 5 who do you think is going run the world in the future, I stated this to the person that posted "peopl that have more then 2 are the problem"  your a dumbass grow up.
Deforestation is propaganda the Aztecs farmed all the rain forest at one time but the planet didn't die.  That is fact that academia won't tell you.  
The fact of the matter is no one knows the breaking point odf the planet, no one truely knows what the world population is, and no one truly knows how many resorces there are and what level we have used.
Petrified wood was found at a gold rush site that was covered in a mud slide less then 200 yrs ago.  So, science can't explain all.  When someone brings up this kind of tripe don't ponder what they are saying look at what they aren't saying, this can put things context.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You are completely wrong. I fly it and can tell you with absolute certainty that we have not even begun to tap this continent. You should post about something you actually know about.

I guess I am wrong.  You flew over an area and it makes you an expert on overpopulation, demographics, arable land, amounts of potable water in an area, pollution, environmental issues, and other things.

I guess I should fly across the country and can then be an expert too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Give it another decade and Africa will be wide open spaces.

Russia's population has been falling, as has life expectancy.

Europe and the U.S. would be falling in population if it weren't for immigration.  I think Australia is in the same boat, not sure.

China's "one child policy" is going to be impacting their population growth pretty soon -- the first wave is just now reaching the age when they'll be getting married and having children.

The biggest problem area is India.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Europe and the U.S. would be falling in population if it weren't for immigration.  I think Australia is in the same boat, not sure.

China's "one child policy" is going to be impacting their population growth pretty soon -- the first wave is just now reaching the age when they'll be getting married and having children.

Marrying whom?

They all want a male.  Isn't the ratio of men to women in that generation really wacked out of proportion?  The damn chinese will invade Tiawan just for the women in 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
- Less people the Better - I,ll say a Million

Life would be so Grand    
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#29]
removed
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't worry guys, when Allah gives the bomb to Iran, world population will start dropping pretty damn quick.  I predict we can have it down to about 250,000 in three years if we try a little harder.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The native population in Europe, Russia, etc is falling, but immigration is making their population grow.

Which is turning into a big problem as the immigrants are muslims from poor nations.  Look at the riots in France, England, and Australia as an example.  

The demographics of it are astounding: Article: It's the Demography, Stupid.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top