Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I second the motion on going to Gatorland.  Its real close to WDW and the other parks and definitely worth it for the little ones.

Florida in August, WDW in August: not for me.  The best times are just before or after Thanksgiving (I used to live there a long time ago).  The last time I went to WDW, my son was conceived :) :) !!

Second the KSC trip also.  The big rocket tractor at KSC will definitely be worth seeing.  While on the east coast, you could go see Playalinda beach, when I was there, only the extreme north end was clothing optional.  With the shuttles grounded, Playlinda won't be closed anytime soon (the Playalinda beach road runs about 1 mile north of Pads A and B where they launch shuttles and are closed a couple of days or weeks prior to launches).

I also second the motion to just stay at WDW hotels if you're going to spend much time at WDW.  Its not much more expensive, but it will be a lot, A LOT easier going back to your rooms after a day of Rat Worlding!!!

If you go to the Keys, Hwy 27 is the way to go, you'll see Florida the way it was 50 years ago.  

Good luck and have a good time!

Merlin
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Playlinda beach is great but a part of it can be nude.It's actually a Federal beach and it depends if the Feds are in a crackdown mode or not.
View Quote
Hey!  They still call it "PLAYlinda" beach!  That's what they called it when I lived there, but when I was in Titusville last time (July '95) and called it "Playlinda" I got looked at like I had two heads.  Didn't know what I was talking about.  

It was really neat when I went - there was a hurricane coming up from the Carribean, so the sea and sky were wicked, and there was a Shuttle on 39A.  And the beach was abandoned.

I would imagine now that if there's a Shuttle on the pad, the beach is CLOSED.  War on Terra and all that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Mojo,

I saw in your post that you are going to spend six days in the attractions.  I thought you would like to see this link to the State of Florida Park system... again I would like to have you natural/real side of Florida.

http://www.funandsun.com/parks/Ichnetucknee/ichnetucknee.html

I hope this helps

Badredfish
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like St. Petersburg Beach, to the west.
View Quote

Me too, but it's St. Pete Beach, now.  We voted to drop the "burg" about ten years ago! [8D]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of good advice, here.  I would add that my wife is a Disney Freak, and if you could pick her up, she would be your personal guide, and I would not have to spend another week there this year!  I mean, I like it OK, but she would go every weekend if I allowed it.

If you like rollercoasters, and cool Zoo stuff, definitely come to Tampa and go to Bush Gardens.  They are linked with Sea World, and you can get good passes to attend both. My kids like both.  There is a waterpark, Adventure Island, there, too.  Just get there EARLY so you don't get creamed by the morning I-4 traffic heading in to Tampa for work.  

St. Augustine is a cool place to go too, and I like the history stuff, there.  A small park there, and one I can imagine being a Spanish soldier at, is Ft. Matanzas.  It guarded the back door of the main fort in St. Augustine, and is a cool short boat ride across a little waterway.  Doesn't take long to see it, either.  McUzi can show you around, then let you shoot his new .50 Boewolf(sp?) at SJSS's range!

Also, if you have TX CCL, Florida recognizes it, and is reciprocal.  Check out [url]www.packing.org[/url] If you go to KSC, you can drop by Jonathan Arthur Ciener's company, (in Cocoa, right behind the USPO) see if he really is out of 30 rounders. [8D]

Have fun, stay safe, and keep kids in sight!

Don't the Disney Hotels allow EARLY park entrance?  That's worth the extra $$$, alone!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Don't the Disney Hotels allow EARLY park entrance?  That's worth the extra $$$, alone!
View Quote
Yes they do, and yes, it is!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 10:28:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are that worried about SHTF,call me and I will meet you somewhere and slip something into the trunk for you. In this day and age, you have a valid concern and it shouldnt interfere with what otherwise would be a nice time. I certainly wouldnt want to be many miles from home and unarmed. I carry 24/7 and if I went to a nudist camp for the weekend I would have my NAA Mini in the crack of my ass! Thats how serious I am about it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like St. Petersburg Beach, to the west.
View Quote

Me too, but it's St. Pete Beach, now.  We voted to drop the "burg" about ten years ago! [8D]
View Quote

Now if you guys could just get CNN to stop calling it Tampa.

One other note about St Pete/Pinellas Co. is you can jump off the Sky Way,it feels good![BD]
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top