Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/28/2020 4:15:45 PM EDT
I have been collecting nuts, bolts and washer "odds and ends" for longer than some of our younger members have been alive - even some from my long-dead father's collection.

They are in no particular order. As you can imagine, this turns every attempt to find something that fits for a household project into a tremendous time sink. I have been putting off organizing them for decades, but maybe I will finally get my shit together and git' 'er dun...

How do you guys handle this?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been collecting nuts, bolts and washer "odds and ends" for longer than some of our younger members have been alive - even some from my long-dead father's collection.

They are in no particular order. As you can imagine, this turns every attempt to find something that fits for a household project into a tremendous time sink. I have been putting off organizing them for decades, but maybe I will finally get my shit together and git' 'er dun...

How do you guys handle this?
View Quote

I just throw all the hardware into boxes and dig around until I come up with something close to what I need
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy a bolt bin.

Organize by size.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Mason jars. One for random wood screws, one for random machine screws, one for washers, one for wire nuts, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Sell it for scrap, buy what I need when I need it and then start organizing it.

When my father died, I took a whole lot of machine screws, wood screws and nails from his work shop along with all the tools I inherited.

I spent about a month organizing them into bins only to realize I still never really had what I needed/wanted for a project.

I scrapped everything but the sheet rock/wood screws and carriage bolts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Throw them all away except for the most commonly used ones, and organize those. Buy what you need when you're starting a project for just that project, and don't be afraid to throw away the $0.27 worth of extras when you're done.

A homeowner's JIT manufacturing process.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw them all away except for the most commonly used ones, and organize those. Buy what you need when you're starting a project for just that project, and don't be afraid to throw away the $0.27 worth of extras when you're done.

View Quote

Did you know that antique hardware such as high head bolts are actually worth a lot, it's expensive to buy those
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck, I’ve been at it for years. I’ve bought multiple steel bolt bins and organizers, but still have a few days worth that need organized.
I have an old military file cabinet that has two drawers completely full. They are real handy when you need them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did this once and my heart sank the next weekend when I needed one of those bolts...
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Sortimo
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought about 5 or 6 of these dewalt organizer cases from HD for $10 each.  I put all my smaller nuts, bolts, screws into hose just sorted by what they are. Hex bolts in one compartment,  nuts in another, just based on type not size.

Thing weighs about 40 lbs but i can find little stuff easily.

I put larger stuff in coffee cans and those are sorted by type. I do have a whole can of metric stuff for cars and trucks.

I threw out probably 30 lbs of stuff that was rusty or I had plenty of. I can find stuff so easy now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I did this once and my heart sank the next weekend when I needed one of those bolts...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My old ford tractor uses all fine thread stuff. I found bolts in my cans I know I would have one hell of a time finding locally.  I should of been smarter and not removed something, laid the bolts on the hood to later drive off, and they got scattered in the field. Glad I could replace them right then.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
5 or 6 bucks apiece $
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I gave up.  Most of what I had went to the scrap yard.  I kept a few trays of odds and ends, but I try to just go to the hardware store and get what I need for projects.  Much less aggregating than finding 3 of one size and one of another size none of which are quite right.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Sort by diameter then thread pitch If you have different threads.  Store in labeled bins.  

Additionally sort by length if you have enough of the different sizes.

Here’s how I sort them at my business. A given diameter all has the same thread (5mm x .8 in this case) so they’re just sorted by length with each container being a different diameter.

Attachment Attached File

The bin divider walls are all taped down to prevent illegal border crossers.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sort by diameter then thread pitch If you have different threads.  Store in labeled bins.  

Here’s how I sort them at my business. A given diameter all has the same thread (5mm x .8 in this case) so they’re just sorted by length with each container being a different diameter.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/3AE7CF29-0B37-4A1A-BF17-9A807AF59683_jpe-1480828.JPG

View Quote

This is a strengthy suggestion. I need a thread sorter to do this right!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
People can't tell thread and size by eye?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Did you know that antique hardware such as high head bolts are actually worth a lot, it's expensive to buy those
View Quote
Also stuff that matches particular periods can be of interest. Non-galvanized, slot head, brass, stainless, etc. Grade 8. Better quality knobs and hinges too.

Organizing likely depends on the quantity you are dealing with. I use a combination of plastic parts bins, divided plan file drawers and glass jars in a vertical file.

An old timer I knew used baby food jars with the lids fixed to the shelf above his workbench.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also stuff that matches particular periods can be of interest. Non-galvanized, slot head, brass, stainless, etc. Better quality knobs and hinges too.

Organizing likely depends on the quantity you are dealing with. I use a combination of plastic parts bins, divided plan file drawers and glass jars in a vertical file.

An old timer I knew used baby food jars with the lids fixed to the shelf above his workbench.

View Quote

I've paid thousands for antique hardware that many throw away
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've paid thousands for antique hardware that many throw away
View Quote

why?

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The "deli slices" I buy come in a reusable container.
I save them. Once I had a stack I started sorting.
I stacked the containers in homer buckets. Put lids on, stacked the buckets.
I did eventually spring for the dividers that fit in the buckets and a few of the divider tops for more commonly used pieces.

Amazon has cheap thread gauges.
I was looking recently. Normally I sponge off of Depot, but with the 'rona lockdown, that was off limits.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

why?

View Quote

To replace hardware on restorations that only people that know what they are looking at would appreciate
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Do not throw these away!!!
They were valuable enough for someone to save.
One of my biggest fears is that someone will throw away my collection of nuts and bolts that I have saved over a lifetime.
They should be put to good use.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Gotta go old school. I have coffee cans and boxes. I've accumulated nuts bolts and misc fasteners for 30 years. Last weekend my son needed 4 fasteners. In a few minutes I had exactly what he needed. So many projects I am able to fish out what I need. That and the tools needed. No way gonna toss all this away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

My favorites are Equipto drawers, the green ones on the bench. In between are baby formula cans, we had dozens of them. They are a handy size but rust easily. My least favorite are the little plastic drawers that come in the cheap blue cabinets.

Attachment Attached File

My next favorite are the blue pullout drawers, like the ones that Fastenal sells. The yellow plastic containers are great for small stuff and come in many configurations, but i never see them for sale. The clear plastic ones on the right work well. The bigger ones can get fairly heavy when they are full. They stack nicely, the ones that I need are always on the bottom.

Attachment Attached File

Factory boxes or repurposed bolt boxes work well.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7/16 x 1-1/2 reproduction high head bolts are $7 a pop? Good lord.

Square head bolts and square nuts are no slouch either. I should sell all of those on ebay or something. Why is there even a collector's market for them?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Square head bolts and square nuts are no slouch either. I should sell all of those on ebay or something. Why is there even a collector's market for them?
View Quote

I visit the scrap yards often to strip hardware that others scrap not knowing its value, that stuff is gold that people throw away, some restorers install new hardware not knowing how it destroys the value of what they have
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I visit the scrap yards often to strip hardware that others scrap not knowing its value, that stuff is gold that people throw away, some restorers install new hardware not knowing how it destroys the value of what they have
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well - whatever works for you. There are usually piles and piles of stuff like that at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations around here. More than once I've bought a full box of whatever hardware I need for $1 and then the rest of the box of 50/100/whatever ends up sitting on my shelf practically forever.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
What's the best way to sell off a collection like that when the person who owns it dies and you're responsible for cleanup?

my parents garage is an odds and ends hoarders dreamland, and I don't have time to sort through that shit and sell one by one.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well - whatever works for you. There are usually piles and piles of stuff like that at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations around here. More than once I've bought a full box of whatever hardware I need for $1 and then the rest of the box of 50/100/whatever ends up sitting on my shelf practically forever.
View Quote

I would love to find the hardware I'm talking about for a dollar a box, not so easy to find
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Please tell me I'm not the only one who picks up washers in parking lots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would love to find the hardware I'm talking about for a dollar a box, not so easy to find
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If what you're talking about - high-head bolts - are for engines and machinery then they do pop up a few times a year out here in Montana. Lots of hardware tucked back in barns and the new owners never care to keep it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What's the best way to sell off a collection like that when the person who owns it dies and you're responsible for cleanup?

my parents garage is an odds and ends hoarders dreamland, and I don't have time to sort through that shit and sell one by one.

View Quote

First you have to identify it, then ebay, someone that knows what they are looking at can do it easily, most garage hardware is not what I'm talking about, the stuff I'm referring to is typically 70 years old or older
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If what you're talking about - high-head bolts - are for engines and machinery then they do pop up a few times a year out here in Montana. Lots of hardware tucked back in barns and the new owners never care to keep it.
View Quote

You can buy high head hardware still but it is not like the old style that are higher and typically have a dome top
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

First you have to identify it, then ebay...
View Quote

yeah, that's how it will end up being a steal for someone else

no time for that

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah, the grown-up version of a lego bucket.  

I generally sort mine into machine thread, wood/sheetmetal thread, washers, nuts, etc.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Only been collecting for 11 or so years but at your level I’d say bolt bin.

I organized mine in several of those plastic divider top close trays from HD
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

yeah, that's how it will end up being a steal for someone else

no time for that

View Quote

Recently made about 30 of these, customer paid 700 dollars, I run across them every now and then
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I had an old tool box full of nuts, bolts and body trim from when I was in the body shop.  Couple years back I got tired of using it for a step stool.  Pulled out the good bolts I might need, restored the toolbox and gave it to a coworker that needed a small tool box. Only reason I restored it was because it was Made in USA.  

I have parts bins for bolts, also bought DeWalt parts boxes and built a roll around box they slide into.  I just had too much shit laying around.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/3AE7CF29-0B37-4A1A-BF17-9A807AF59683_jpe-1480828.JPG

This and a thread gauge will do it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Chuck em in a 5gal pail. Bring it to the scrapyard.  

When I need a random nut/bolt/screw I goto the hardware store and buy what I need.
It's usually under 10$ per project

I'd rather spend my spare time in the woods or fishin
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20190727_175811-1_jpg-1480840.JPG

My favorites are Equipto drawers, the green ones on the bench. In between are baby formula cans, we had dozens of them. They are a handy size but rust easily. My least favorite are the little plastic drawers that come in the cheap blue cabinets.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20190727_175841_jpg-1480847.JPG

My next favorite are the blue pullout drawers, like the ones that Fastenal sells. The yellow plastic containers are great for small stuff and come in many configurations, but i never see them for sale. The clear plastic ones on the right work well. The bigger ones can get fairly heavy when they are full. They stack nicely, the ones that I need are always on the bottom.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24999/20190727_175444_jpg-1480867.JPG

Factory boxes or repurposed bolt boxes work well.

View Quote

@GreenDragon

What do you call this kind of shelving with a bunch of tiny compartments?

Attachment Attached File

I need something like that but ideally with even smaller compartments to store a hundred or so boxes of bicycle wheel spokes.  Each box is about 1" tall by 2" wide by 12" long.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Washers, screws, nuts & bolts, anchors, coax fittings, sockets, screwdrivers, bungee cords, fuses.

No, you are not the only one.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Washers, screws, nuts & bolts, anchors, coax fittings, sockets, screwdrivers, bungee cords, fuses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

U guys need help.

Probably make fun of cat ladys and hoarders too.   Mental illness comes in many forms.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I worked as a building inspector for years. Toward the end of a job, the superintendents would throw throw all kinds of hardware away in the dumpster. I would find anchor bolts, titan tapcons, all kinds of simpson connectors and straps, tie wraps, and wire.

After a while, I had to stop. I ended up with a home depot collection. I ended up using quite a bit of it on personal projects around the house.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Lots of these:

On a homemade shelf like this:

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I have those industrial drawer thingies and sort them into categories.

Standard nuts, bolts, washers.

Me-trick Nuts, blots, washers.

Screws and other hardware are similarly sorted in coffee cans.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought some of those bins and some of those large closing trays with several compartments.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Throw all that shit away. Keeping something for 40 years just in case? Declutter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top