Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Put out a mouse or rat somewhere that might lure them out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 4:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
First thing you should do is count the kids.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Try using your nose.  Snakes have a distinct odor that you should be able to detect.  You might need to get your other snakes into one room that has already been seached so that their odor does not interfere with the rest of the search.

The human olfactory sense is one that we tend to overlook––-it is not as good as a dog's which could differentiate between specific snakes, but it is generally good enough to detect the presense of a snake.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
lol

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do these snakes eat when they escape into your house for weeks/months?

Ball Pythons can survive a long freaking time without anything. I think almost up to a year without eating.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Try putting duct tape (sticky side up) in doorways and other places the snake may move thru. It'll get stuck and ball up, it just takes some warm water and dish soap to clean them up. You can use an electirc blanket as heat/bait. Turn the AC up or the thremostat down to make the house cooler. A BP can find that heat from a long way off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, it's not hot (THANK GOD!)...it's a Ball Python.

Any of you snake owners ever experience this? What is the best way to get them out of hiding?

Finding a snake is nothing like finding any other animal, since they don't make a sound when they are out and about.

Just wait.

My sons Ball escaped while her mouse was being boiled.  Two months later, she slid out from behind a bookcase.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Lay his/her hide down on the ground in a secluded spot and check it in the morning.  If that doesn't work do the same thing the next night except put a F/T food item in it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a ball python when I was in junior high. It escaped a few times. It liked to go in clothes hampers, towel drawers and even got stuck in our treadmill.

How big is he?

Make sure his cage is secured really good. They are smart and can almost undo anything to get out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I 7+ foot rat snake has escaped 2 times.

First time I found him behind my dresser.  In the same day.

Second time took me a week.  He had curled up in a blanket in the top of my closet.  I pulled everything out of my apartment and it took me 3 times to find him.
Lost a 7+ foot snake.
 Me, tent, radio, flashlight, handgun:  camping in backyard until that bastard was found.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]
http://nukeitfromorbit.com/

it's the only way to be sure....

Sorry man.....if a garter snake was loose in my house I would burn it to ground
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

buy a large glass bottle. cut the large bottle in half horizontally. put a goat in the bottle and glue it back together. the snake will crawl into the bottle through the opening, swallow the goat and wont be able to get outta the bottle until it digests the goat.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Still no snake to be found.

I bought a mouse and put it in his tank, which is now on the ground. I also put the snake's drift wood jungle gym thing against the tank, so it can climb up and into the tank to grab said mouse.

I also removed everything but his favorite hide, so he cant use any of his old cage accessories to help climb back out.

This is a fairly deep tank, so it would be extremely difficult for him to get back out.

God, this has been driving me crazy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

buy a large glass bottle. cut the large bottle in half horizontally. put a goat in the bottle and glue it back together. the snake will crawl into the bottle through the opening, swallow the goat and wont be able to get outta the bottle until it digests the goat.

Creative....I like it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok...this thead could go on for days.  So, I'm not gonna tag it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The snake was FOUND!!!

Around 1am this morning, I heard what sounded like a crash, so I went to go investigate. I thought maybe I left something unsupported or at a weird angle and it fell to the ground or something.

Well, upon investigation, everything looked normal. Just when I was about to go back to bed, I saw my snake wrapped around my wife's gerbil's cage.

I grabbed it, but realized I couldn't put it back in it's cage, because I left a large (live) mouse in there...and the cage was now covered in mouse piss and shit.

So, I put it in a damp pillow case (the snake was rather dry...it's pretty arid in CO), and left it in a warm spot overnight.

Now, it is back in it's cage after finishing off a jumbo mouse.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
-10 for no body count or pics.

FAIL!
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a hatchling reticulated python that got out in my bedroom when I lived at my parents' in high school.  They have radiant water heat so the pipes go in and out of the walls.  The retic went into the wall at that hole; I saw his tail going in.

I got a live mouse and some 50 lb test fishing line, tied it in a slip knot around its neck and sent the brave trooper into the hole.

I felt the strike, applied pressure so that it couldn't constrict it, and kept applying pressure, like pulling out a nightcrawler, until the snake was out.

That was my first and only experience fishing for snakes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I 7+ foot rat snake has escaped 2 times.

First time I found him behind my dresser.  In the same day.

Second time took me a week.  He had curled up in a blanket in the top of my closet.  I pulled everything out of my apartment and it took me 3 times to find him.
Lost a 7+ foot snake.  Me, tent, radio, flashlight, handgun:  camping in backyard until that bastard was found.

Was that your wife's decision?  And did she get to stay at the really nice hotel while waiting for it to come out?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Heh.  If you'd mentioned the gerbil cage previously, I'd have told you where to watch :-)  Came home one day to find my ball python coiled up on top of the gerbil cage, trying to find a way in :-)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top