Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:26:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bellona:
The best authentic Italian restaurants I've been to have been holes in the wall....not an overcrowded, overhyped, overpriced chain. Olive Garden is not all that in my book. Their eggplant parmesan sucks.

This applies with any ethnic restaurant in my experience. A friend of mine had a policy: If it looked like a hole in the wall, it was good. If it looked like a hole in the wall and had stray cats outside looking for food, it was FANTASTIC. You know what, he never failed to pick a good restaurant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:47:29 PM EDT
Olive Garder sucks balls. If i want americanized itilian i will go to Spegetti Works and pay 8 bucks instead of 18. The wait to get into OG around here on a friday or saterday night is over 2 hours alot of the time. Olive garder, Outback, TGI fridays, Applebees and the like are easily some of my least favorite places on earth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:55:18 PM EDT
Applebee's is horrendous. Everytime I get suckered into going to one, I think "Good god, why am I eating this?"
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:59:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fly-Navy:
It really really really bothers me when people are in a coastal area with great seafood.... say Florida, New England, California..... and they eat at Red Lobster.

This is one of the more assinine statements I've read. Why would you care how an adult chooses to spend their own money?

How people decide to spend their money doesn't even register on my give-a-shit-o-meter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:05:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 1:10:03 PM EDT by Fly-Navy]

Originally Posted By dport:

It really really really bothers me when people are in a coastal area with great seafood.... say Florida, New England, California..... and they eat at Red Lobster.

This is one of the more assinine statements I've read. Why would you care how an adult chooses to spend their own money?

How people decide to spend their money doesn't even register on my give-a-shit-o-meter.

Any other brilliant comments from you? I really don't care what you think, and it seems the other 2 pages of people here don't either, considering they're in the same boat.

WHy do you care what another adult thinks about what other adults eat? Is it that important that you warrant placing a snide comment? It's just an insignificant rant on a boring Sunday. Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:24:00 PM EDT

Any other brilliant comments from you? I really don't care what you think, and it seems the other 2 pages of people here don't either, considering they're in the same boat.

WHy do you care what another adult thinks about what other adults eat? Is it that important that you warrant placing a snide comment? It's just an insignificant rant on a boring Sunday. Sheesh.

I don't care what another adult thinks about what other adults eat. Thus my post. And you're right it's insignificant, so why be bothered?

I understand your preference for "authentic" food. I understand that many of the chain restaurants are very Americanized and not true to the food they are trying to copy. What is beyond me is why someone would be bothered because someone else eats at a chain store. That can't be healthy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
dont go to the OLive Garden in Warwick RI... i heard from a plummer once it was the worst kitchen hed ever seen...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:32:32 PM EDT

I don't care what another adult thinks about what other adults eat. Thus my post. And you're right it's insignificant, so why be bothered?

I understand your preference for "authentic" food. I understand that many of the chain restaurants are very Americanized and not true to the food they are trying to copy. What is beyond me is why someone would be bothered because someone else eats at a chain store. That can't be healthy.

I just don't like seeing people make bad decisions that could be easily avoided

Oh, and I'm a food snob. I'll admit it, I"m a huge food snob. It pains me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:35:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dano1:
i guess the dagos on the left coast are out of luck then .....

Ask yourself this: When people think Italian food in America, do they think about California? No, not one bit.

your joking, right?...

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:45:57 PM EDT

Ask yourself this: When people think Italian food in America, do they think about California? No, not one bit.

your joking, right?...

I could quite possibly be blinded by growing up East Coast, but when someone thinks Italian America they think New York then Boston. What do you have for the West Coast? (Honest question)
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 1:49:09 PM EDT by sharky30]

your joking, right?...

I could quite possibly be blinded by growing up East Coast, but when someone thinks Italian America they think New York then Boston. What do you have for the West Coast? (Honest question)

NY yes, but boston? boston is supposed to be irish when it comes to "what ethnicity do you think of"
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 1:55:15 PM EDT by Fly-Navy]

Originally Posted By sharky30:
NY yes, but boston? boston is supposed to be irish when it comes to "what ethnicity do you think of"

Wrong buddy. Well, not wrong. Half right.

Grew up around Boston. All my family has Italian blood somewhere, and half the families I knew growing up with Italian blooded. The other half? Irish. It's a good split. You got the Northern Boston Italians and the Southie Irish. They don't like each other
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:07:34 PM EDT

your joking, right?...

little town i was born and raised in out here was home-at one time-to the largest commercial tuna fishing fleet in the world, not to mention sword, sardine, squid, anchovy. if ya weren't Dago, you were Slav or Croat. Good southern cooking, no spaghetti and meatballs. Hell, many of my landlords even in the 80's didn't speak a word of English, but could they cook and make wine ;). hings have changed of course, but i can still get a good meal at anyones house. This ain't white tablecoth, which isn't italian anyways, good food family and friends.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:09:13 PM EDT

your joking, right?...

little town i was born and raised in out here was home-at one time-to the largest commercial tuna fishing fleet in the world, not to mention sword, sardine, squid, anchovy. if ya weren't Dago, you were Slav or Croat. Good southern cooking, no spaghetti and meatballs. Hell, many of my landlords even in the 80's didn't speak a word of English, but could they cook and make wine ;). hings have changed of course, but i can still get a good meal at anyones house. This ain't white tablecoth, which isn't italian anyways, good food family and friends.

That's good to know man, thanks for the lesson. But I still stand by my comment that when your average person thinks about Italians, it isn't west coast. Glad to know you all are representing out there though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:31:00 PM EDT
Would this guy eat at OG?

What about this guy???

WWTSE?

WWMME?

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:40:45 PM EDT
my eyes

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:42:28 PM EDT
Most "real" italian resturants I've been too SUCKED as bad as Olive Garden.

My definition of "real" - places folks that are "in the know" have taken me in Little Italy, Baltimore, Italian sections of Boston, even NYC
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Most "real" italian resturants I've been too SUCKED as bad as Olive Garden.

My definition of "real" - places folks that are "in the know" have taken me in Little Italy, Baltimore, Italian sections of Boston, even NYC

Are you a meat and potato kind of guy? Not like Italian? Or been spoiled by being in Italy?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top