BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would I leave? I like the food, my friends and family live here, I speak the language already and understand the customs, I know what side of the road to drive on, I know what the good tv channels are, I know where the good coffee is sold, I just bought a house, my job is here, and it would be too much a pain in the ass to move. And I fought for this country in Iraq (that place you didn't serve) so I think I have a right to stay here, as I have the right to bitch about the stupidity of people who who state me and my bros lost the Iraq war when I know for a fact we won it.

And where will I go? Everywhere will be full of the same dumb fuck mouthbreathing retards that are all about 30 seconds away at any given time from doing or saying or writing something that is somehow exponentially more breathtakingly stupid than the last shit they did, said, or wrote. At least in present day America I still have the right to shitpost about my opinions on Arfcom in a delightfully witty approach that many seem to enjoy. Meanwhile, I get to verbally spare with self righteous posters who don't know history, politics, or military science and this too is a form of entertainment for me in my now very boring life.

Ethno-nationalists are such easy targets, they're as bad as Creationalists, the insults write themselves...
View Quote
Indeed you do have the right to "shitpost about (your) opinions on Arfcom in a delightfully witty approach".  I really look forward to seeing some examples of that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Indeed you do have the right to "shitpost about (your) opinions on Arfcom in a delightfully witty approach".  I really look forward to seeing some examples of that.
View Quote
How did you miss them? What are you, stupid or something?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I take back what I said.  Go back to drinking.  I think it was helping.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You know that's not going to happen, so why even suggest it?
Since plan A isn't going to happen, what's your plan B?
View Quote
They better have a plan for themselves. If they cannot produce one, oh fucking well. I bet a whole lot more "hopeless" US citizens would become productive in a hurry if they had to. If not, stave their genes out of the pool. Yeah, that's my real answer, don't vote for me in the local primary.

Steinhab,

Love your posts bro, never stop educating the masses. We disagree on many points of COIN and the Arabs in general, but I (and I'm sure many others) look forward to your posts.

With that said, you truly believe COIN and the push caused the "ceasefire" in 08-12? I sat in those huts and drank gallons of chai while gathering intel like we all did. What I learned was something different in my experience in the South along Tampa. The fighting stopped when the right man got paid.

Its the same gangster shit everywhere you go in Iraq. Want to get something done? Pay the man. Wonder why they hold you in the hot ass terminal for 3 hours checking your visas and my guy jumps in my truck at the base of the plane? I paid the right guy. 

DoD, DOS and their PRTs were paying motherfuckers left and right to make the attacks stop, and they largely did. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not all of them are.  He didn't sway anyone away from the insurgency.  The ones that had respect for him certainly lost at least some.  

That unprofessional rant probably pushed some guys who were on the fence into the insurgent side.
View Quote
So the reason Iraq is a shithole is because we were mean to the Iraqis?

Or is it because they can't create themselves a modern society with things like healthcare, electricity, running water, and the wheel?

They can't drill their own oil because they have to wait for a westerner to come in to drill it for them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They better have a plan for themselves. If they cannot produce one, oh fucking well. I bet a whole lot more "hopeless" US citizens would become productive in a hurry if they had to. If not, stave their genes out of the pool. Yeah, that's my real answer, don't vote for me in the local primary.

Steinhab,

Love your posts bro, never stop educating the masses. We disagree on many points of COIN and the Arabs in general, but I (and I'm sure many others) look forward to your posts.

With that said, you truly believe COIN and the push caused the "ceasefire" in 08-12? I sat in those huts and drank gallons of chai while gathering intel like we all did. What I learned was something different in my experience in the South along Tampa. The fighting stopped when the right man got paid.

Its the same gangster shit everywhere you go in Iraq. Want to get something done? Pay the man. Wonder why they hold you in the hot ass terminal for 3 hours checking your visas and my guy jumps in my truck at the base of the plane? I paid the right guy. 

DoD, DOS and their PRTs were paying motherfuckers left and right to make the attacks stop, and they largely did. Just my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know that's not going to happen, so why even suggest it?
Since plan A isn't going to happen, what's your plan B?

Steinhab,

You're on board, you are understanding like 95% of the puzzle but just missing the littlest but extra to provide total clarity.

Most of my knowledge of Iraq took place after I left after i spent time trying to figure out what the hell i even saw and experienced. When i was in the Army politics never meant shit, i was too worried which one of soldiers needed remedial PT, who couldn't be trusted to pull guard duty, who never cleaned his weapon, trying to unfuck our PL tactfully without spoiling our relationship, dealing with a 1SG and CSM who were backstabbing motherfuckers. After i got out i binge read a bunch of books and read a shit ton of very varying articles and whatever else and here are my conclusions as to what I think happened:

- US Army finally realized no bullshit in late 2005 we were losing the war and that shit was spiraling out of control. Handing over control to Iraq was NOT going to work and unless drastic measures were taken we were fucked. Senior US Army brass were basically stumped, some junior brass had answers but in any other time they'd been ignored. This desperation allowed dudes like Petreaus to rise so quickly. These guys werent military geniuses unless you compared them to the dudes like Franks, Sanchez, Casey, if you compare them to those dudes then guys like Petraeus were giant brained super humans.

- By 2006 a whole lot of American govt and media already called Iraq as a loss, it was a major factor in the Dems winning control of the Senate again. That alone was one of the best things because Rumsfeld got shitcanned and GWB was willing to do whatever to win.

- I believe some sort of clandestine deal or pressure was put on Iran because they reeled in Sadr big time and it happened at all the right time. Without that Madhi Army ceasefire shit would have been a lot different. But none of that was possible without...

- SMUs doing cool guy shit took down the big AQI car bomb cells that were terrorizing the Shi'a civilians trying to stir up sectarian animosity. McCrystal's boys did some secret squirel shit that was so awesome if the story ever gets told in full it will make a near unbelievable movie.

- Petraeus' Surge, that shit wasn't huge but was needed. My BCT was a Surge unit and we were super busy driving all over Iraq helping put out fires. We needed a hundred thousand more troops to really do good work but those +20,000 were still absolutely necessary.

- Petraeus' COIN tactics were needed. Were there unit commanders following those successful practices before he made it mandatory? Yes. But a lot werent,  and all landowners needed to be on the same page. And while those COIN tactics alone didnt cause a major drop in violence, they helped. You mentioned the bribery and while us buying off sheikhs and militias and payouts happened, the fact that we were willing to go to those levels was a good thing because we were exploring all options and that is how you play COIN. But none of that would have been possible without...

- AQI had grossly overextended themselves by being the corrupt, tyrannical, sexual predator, drug dealing, fucktards they were. They overplayed their hand and spoiled their relationship with rank and file less fundamental Sunni Islamist groups and Baathist nationalists like 1920s. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." It started in Ramadi in 2006 when a very important sheikh rebelled against AQI at the same time the exceptionally well led US Army BCT running Ramadi and the staff of the Marine Division and MEF running Anbar were desperately trying to make inroads with the populace and sheikhs. While before the chai meetings went nowhere, all that ended when the Awakening started.

- Al Sahwa. Sons of Iraq. The Awakening. Concerned Local Citizens. All these words to me are like hearing Saratoga, Gettysburg, Midway. I literally get fucking chills. As I'm typing this hairs on my arm are standing up because this topic is that fucking cool. The true turning point and our greatest victory. Starting in Ramadi, spreading out through Anbar and the rest of the Sunni Triangle. The motherfuckers switched sides and they joined us. No shit,  i was there and i was hanging out at checkpoints with CLC militia dudes with chest racks, well maintained AKs with white painted front sight posts, ski masks, wearing my PT belt as their uniform item, and i knew these dudes were the ones who almost killed me all those times before, vis versa.

We bought some, we pressured some, we blackmailed some. We made deals, we negotiated in good and bad faith and im the end people who'd spent years trying to kill one another shook hands. We stood up their militias,  we followed Travis Patriquin's powerpoint, and we fucking took the Sunni Triangle from AQI and we made them scared to show their faces. We fucking destroyed their organization. We made AQI our prison bitch.

- GWB was a trainwreck of a President, part his fault,  part other people's. He will not be remembered historically as well as he should. And while earlier decisions originating from the White House for Iraq ranged from bad to disastrous, the way Bush dealt with his Iraqi counterpart was some of the best state craft in a long fucking time. The energy and time he devoted to positively influence Maliki was simply outstanding. Bravo Mr President. Bravo.

There is more but my fingers hurt hitting my phone and i think i covered the basics. Iraq 2006-2009 was the perfect storm of "Holy fuck i think this is really working" conditions. All the COIN stars aligned and we fucking won that shit. All those naysayer bitches saying we couldn't do it because Bush is dumb or because our military isn't adoptable or because the techniques don't work,  all those people were proven wrong.

The saddest part of all this is by the time i learned this all Iraq was already going to hell. I never got to enjoy it. Maliki was back to being Iran's proxy bitch and oppressing the Sunni Arabs. ISIS assholes were out of prison and back to their ways gaining traction with the pissed off Sunni Arabs who were desperate for whatever champion who'd  protect them from the oppressive Shia govt. Watching Mosul and Ramadi and Fallujah and everywhere else fall... that shit hurt bad. I'm really glad ISIS is mostly wiped out but i see no great future for Iraq...

A storm is brewing at a time when all global economies and currencies are interconnected, mass unemployment from automation is just around the corner, tyranny and hatred for our fellow man is thrown in our faces by a level of social media that is super detrimental to mankind (humans don't communicate well with one another so a platform to instantly increase  communication only pisses off more people). Will Iraq survive? Fuck no,  neither will the USA. The 4th Turning is so close...

Dramatic gopher gif would be appropriate but I'm going to bed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or is it because they can't create themselves a modern society with things like healthcare, electricity, running water, and the wheel?

They can't drill their own oil because they have to wait for a westerner to come in to drill it for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all of them are.  He didn't sway anyone away from the insurgency.  The ones that had respect for him certainly lost at least some.  

That unprofessional rant probably pushed some guys who were on the fence into the insurgent side.

What was it like when you were in Iraq? What province were you in and when? What branch of service and MOS?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll admit, your grasp on the big picture seems to be much better than mine. And I may be making conclusions based on incomplete data, but no matter how much I want to believe it, it felt more like they were playing nice in front of the parents more than an awakening. I may be wrong.

I lived in Iraq, on DoD/DOS installations and even the local economy for 4 years, but my perspective is definitely clouded by the need for 24/7 mission focus. My experience with locals is 80/20 Shia/Sunni. I was never in any insanely hot area (except that one night I was stuck in Kalsu. Fuck that place, lol).

All of this being said, I hired and worked with hundreds of local terps and PSD team members. To this day, I still think any of them could have been bought. We still got attacked by organized 240 launches and EFPs during this peaceful time. Those items do not move without lots of people knowing and as per SOP, 50% of the workforce had to call in on for some reason or another on the day of the attack. 

Sure the payoff/blackmail/chaifest tactics helped to quell the attacks, but we never made a dent in the underlying thought process of 90% of those corrupt motherfuckers. It's all about #1 at that moment in time with them. They refuse to see the benefits of working toward the greater good. How many of those loyal terps do you think we would have had without the carrot of that green card in the sky? 

My point is, as a whole, the Iraqi people do not believe it possible to install any semblance of a working democracy and making things better. It was all a giant waste of lives, resources and energy, in my humble opinion. Stop paying the right people and everything goes to hell fast. Even when you do pay, they don't rat when you know damned well they knew who did it and they know you will protect them. That doesn't seem like someone who thinks we're there to help. They help when it's beneficial to them and they are safe from repercussions.

Disclaimer; I'm one too many into the bottle and it's far past my bedtime.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#9]
IP and IA are 99% huge fucking pussies, and a goddamned detriment to the fight.  And thats the few that are not actively trying to kill your ass.  

Some good dudes there for sure, but mostly fucking pussy cowards.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Another lie
View Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot how we achieved our goals in Germany by bombing them, with no need for ground forces.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What was it like when you were in Iraq? What province were you in and when? What branch of service and MOS?
View Quote
What are you going to do when the order comes down to go though American homes to confiscate money, property, and firearms?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are you going to do when the order comes down to go though American homes to confiscate money, property, and firearms?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be absurd.  It was a mess before we got there.  What I said was treating people badly can-- and does-- turn them against us.

Too many people think that the war against radical islamists can and should be a quick effort.  It will take centuries, (if it ever really ends)  and because of that, many westerners will get frustrated and give up.  Just quitting will bring about the end of civilization as we know it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Although I didn't ask you that question (I did ask the OP a similar question, and he seems to have disappeared) I have to believe you were never in Iraq-- let alone worked with Iraqi units-- probably weren't in the military, and don't really know what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

What would I do in that situation? I'm not in the Army, and with missing major organs and a cancer history, among many other health issues, my military days are firmly over. So your bullshit anti-military fears are groundless when it comes to me.

But let's talk about you. What prevented you from serving in the military, besides your fear of confiscating money, property, and firearms from US citizens? Why didn't you join the Air Force if for nothing more than to bomb the Brown People you hate? Even Che served in the military and he's your hero and all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll admit, your grasp on the big picture seems to be much better than mine. And I may be making conclusions based on incomplete data, but no matter how much I want to believe it, it felt more like they were playing nice in front of the parents more than an awakening. I may be wrong.

I lived in Iraq, on DoD/DOS installations and even the local economy for 4 years, but my perspective is definitely clouded by the need for 24/7 mission focus. My experience with locals is 80/20 Shia/Sunni. I was never in any insanely hot area (except that one night I was stuck in Kalsu. Fuck that place, lol).

All of this being said, I hired and worked with hundreds of local terps and PSD team members. To this day, I still think any of them could have been bought. We still got attacked by organized 240 launches and EFPs during this peaceful time. Those items do not move without lots of people knowing and as per SOP, 50% of the workforce had to call in on for some reason or another on the day of the attack. 

Sure the payoff/blackmail/chaifest tactics helped to quell the attacks, but we never made a dent in the underlying thought process of 90% of those corrupt motherfuckers. It's all about #1 at that moment in time with them. They refuse to see the benefits of working toward the greater good. How many of those loyal terps do you think we would have had without the carrot of that green card in the sky? 

My point is, as a whole, the Iraqi people do not believe it possible to install any semblance of a working democracy and making things better. It was all a giant waste of lives, resources and energy, in my humble opinion. Stop paying the right people and everything goes to hell fast. Even when you do pay, they don't rat when you know damned well they knew who did it and they know you will protect them. That doesn't seem like someone who thinks we're there to help. They help when it's beneficial to them and they are safe from repercussions.

Disclaimer; I'm one too many into the bottle and it's far past my bedtime.
View Quote
Do you know what deal was made with Al Sadr and JAM? I know our forces in Baghdad almost killed him a couple times but then suddenly we stopped targeting him and his minions (mostly), then he went to "study" in Iran and JAM signed the ceasefire. I guess that it was from some sort of pressure the US applied to Iran but that's just a guess, I have no idea really. Do you know why they did it?

In my opinion a Parliamentary democracy is very doable in Arab culture. They actually love voting, all very proud of their purple fingers, and even though they are only voting as their tribal leaders tell them to its still gives them the illusion of freedom and power, which is what democracy is really about. They can vote in their tyrants and that makes them less tyrannical! Sure, there is lots of voter fraud, but we have had lots of voter fraud here in the US through our history, that's just what happens with elections, people try rigging them and often succeed. Iraq don't have our systems of checks and balances, nor our concepts of freedom, property/ownership, rights, but that's not all truly necessary to run a democracy, most of European democracies don't share our freedoms and rights either. If Maliki lives to a 100 years old he can win every election as president and as long as he doesn't blatantly fuck over the Sunni and remove them from any national power then Iraq could theoretically be fine. The problem is that most Sunni power elite are still tied to Saddam and/or to Sunni insurgencies (which is why the Iraqi govt calls them terrorists, because most of them were/are), and most of the Shi'a power elite are tied to Dawa, Iran, and the PMC death squad militias and the Shi'a are vengeful fucks who still haven't forgot what happened when Saddam was running shit. So Iraq still has too much bad blood to ever be a unified country, I'd love for them to be broken up into separate countries based on sectarian lines or have a very decentralized Baghdad govt with more powerful provincial govt, but that shit wont happen.

And with their form of parliamentary govt normal check and balances don't exist, and they can deal with their own personal rights issues as they see fit (lot different than how we do it).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you know what deal was made with Al Sadr and JAM? I know our forces in Baghdad almost killed him a couple times but then suddenly we stopped targeting him and his minions (mostly), then he went to "study" in Iran and JAM signed the ceasefire. I guess that it was from some sort of pressure the US applied to Iran but that's just a guess, I have no idea really. Do you know why they did it?

In my opinion a Parliamentary democracy is very doable in Arab culture. They actually love voting, all very proud of their purple fingers, and even though they are only voting as their tribal leaders tell them to its still gives them the illusion of freedom and power, which is what democracy is really about. They can vote in their tyrants and that makes them less tyrannical! Sure, there is lots of voter fraud, but we have had lots of voter fraud here in the US through our history, that's just what happens with elections, people try rigging them and often succeed. Iraq don't have our systems of checks and balances, nor our concepts of freedom, property/ownership, rights, but that's not all truly necessary to run a democracy, most of European democracies don't share our freedoms and rights either. If Maliki lives to a 100 years old he can win every election as president and as long as he doesn't blatantly fuck over the Sunni and remove them from any national power then Iraq could theoretically be fine. The problem is that most Sunni power elite are still tied to Saddam and/or to Sunni insurgencies (which is why the Iraqi govt calls them terrorists, because most of them were/are), and most of the Shi'a power elite are tied to Dawa, Iran, and the PMC death squad militias and the Shi'a are vengeful fucks who still haven't forgot what happened when Saddam was running shit. So Iraq still has too much bad blood to ever be a unified country, I'd love for them to be broken up into separate countries based on sectarian lines or have a very decentralized Baghdad govt with more powerful provincial govt, but that shit wont happen.

And with their form of parliamentary govt normal check and balances don't exist, and they can deal with their own personal rights issues as they see fit (lot different than how we do it).
View Quote
I have no idea on what deal was made with Sadr. His portrait hung in every farmer's home south of Baghdad, though, always thought that was interesting. I was just a lowly E5 squad leader at the time. It pissed of a lot of folks whom had spent many more moons in country than I, when we didn't go after him.

Was in Baghdad for the election in 2011 or 12 (can't remember). Stopped counting explosions at 200 something just after breakfast and thought it was strange that when I was looking for the scoop on death tolls and mayhem on the web, it was very quiet. Some said they were celebratory plastic bottle bombs, but I'm not so sure. All you could find were the stories about how well the elections were going. If it sounded like crazytown to me, the reporters should have been eating it up, or so one would think.

Work has interrupted me too many times now, so I have no idea where I was going with this. So I leave you with the coolest bike in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have no idea on what deal was made with Sadr. His portrait hung in every farmer's home south of Baghdad, though, always thought that was interesting. I was just a lowly E5 squad leader at the time. It pissed of a lot of folks whom had spent many more moons in country than I, when we didn't go after him.

Was in Baghdad for the election in 2011 or 12 (can't remember). Stopped counting explosions at 200 something just after breakfast and thought it was strange that when I was looking for the scoop on death tolls and mayhem on the web, it was very quiet. Some said they were celebratory plastic bottle bombs, but I'm not so sure. All you could find were the stories about how well the elections were going. If it sounded like crazytown to me, the reporters should have been eating it up, or so one would think.

Work has interrupted me too many times now, so I have no idea where I was going with this. So I leave you with the coolest bike in Iraq.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259216/38341.JPG
View Quote
Sadr was the direct male descendant of a very old Arab family, possibly to Mohammed (though I might be wrong on that), they were the hereditary commanders of the Shi'a Madhi Army. The way its supposed to work is that all good Shi'a MAM submit their name saying that when the Mahdi/Messiah comes back they will serve in his army, Sadr is the human commander but the real general will be Jesus (who Sunni and Shi'a Muslims also believe will return to lead the army in the apocalyptic battle between good and evil). Joining JAM gets the person a bumper sticker and other swag and the respect of their fellow Shi'a for being pious and brave. Current Al Sadr's father was a super senior Shi'a cleric, equivalent almost to a Pope, and Saddam assassinated him. He was universally adored by the Shi'a community. Current Al Sadr was too young to have been properly educated and got involved in insurgency very early on in the war to fight the "Frankish Infidel occupiers" per Iran's orders. He activated the Madhi Army and in Baghdad and elsewhere they were a major threat to US forces, starting in the big spring uprising in 2004. They weren't supposed to be activated though, it was I believe the first time any of the Sadr family have ever done it.

Election day it was common to plant small "coke bottle" IEDs in trash piles and shit to scare people in other districts to not vote, more effective than Black Panthers handing out front a voting booth. They didn't kill many people though, too small, no frag, and rarely in places where there were people, they were just psychological.

And yes, that's a bad ass bike.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Thought I remembered hearing that about the noise bombs. It's amazing how fast memory fades and how quick they start coming back when you jump into discussions about old stomping grounds. 

Thanks for the refresher on Sadr. I didn't remember the part about the purpose of the Mahdi Militia.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top