Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It should not cost anything to exercise your RIGHTS!

The license cost should have only covered the actual cost to implement the licensing in the first place.

Since they are overcharging and using the money to supplement their budget instead of returning any surplus $$ to the people in the form of reducing what they charge, this is a good thing.

Why do gun owners have to pay to have the right to own and carry guns for protection?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]

"I think you do have to be mindful though that, when we're talking about
someone’s Second Amendment rights, that shouldn’t be a way to balance
the state’s budget so, if there are implications, we need to deal with
that,” said Sen. Kyle Loveless.
View Quote

A little mamby pamby, but damn right!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The clue there is that they are running it to profit instead of a more break-even type of thing.
View Quote

Damn right. These program should be cost neutral. If you cut something the government does, that we pay a fee for, the response should be "the only impact would be losing the personnel affiliated with the administration of this."

If it costs $40 in time, people, and resources to do something, fine. I'm okay with that. Heck, in PA I actually paid more than the state cost for my CCW license there because it paid for the fancy plastic card instead of the actual piece of paper some counties gave. I was willing to pay more to get a better project. But to charge more just so you can fund other crap is unsat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
What a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Meh.  8 million is a lot of staties.  what's their real budget, not just the lost revenue from this measure?  article makes it sound like it's the entire budget, but I bet it's more just a portion of it.  they usually play this card when they want to scare people into opposing a measure like this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because it is a non-essential agency.
Taxpayers shouldn't be funding non-essential agencies at all.

The state police is a non-essential agency? Or do you mean just this division of it?

Meh.  8 million is a lot of staties.  what's their real budget, not just the lost revenue from this measure?  article makes it sound like it's the entire budget, but I bet it's more just a portion of it.  they usually play this card when they want to scare people into opposing a measure like this.

not state police.

the Oklahoma Highway Patrol is a separate entity and a excellent organization.

the OSBI is a multifactional organization that operates like the FBI.- assisting our rural sheriffs depts in crime solving and interacting with criminal probes all over the state in everything from Drug cases/Sex trafficking with OBNDD and other issues.

OBNDD, OSBI and ABLE should all be combined.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are fucking incompetent. They fucked up the investigation of the killing of two little girls in eastern Oklahoma. They didn't even have a camera to take pictures of tire tracks in the dirt road before it rained. They asked everyone in the state to bring their 40 cal Glocks in for ballistic testing.
Yeah, they are top notch investigators.
http://newsok.com/article/3479477
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is essentially the state FBI, it does a lot more than CCW permits, that is a tiny and insignificant function of the agency.

That's odd. . .according to OSBI spokesperson Jessica Brown “It would have a devastating effect on OSBI. We would not have any more gun licensing. That could be up to $8 million and, for a very small agency, that would be a devastating amount” (http://kfor.com/2016/04/21/osbi-agency-could-lose-millions-if-gun-legislation-passes/)

Further, the fiscal impact report states: "Layoffs through a reduction in force of up to 60-70 or more positions, about 20-25% of our workforce, would be required as well as reductions in operating expenses."  (http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16%20SUPPORT%20DOCUMENTS/BILLSUM/House/HB3098%20INT%20BILLSUM.PDF)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Well it may play a big role in funding for this one, but the primary purpose of state investigative agencies is well investigations to include homicide, child crimes, computer crimes, arson, police misconduct, OIS's, financial crimes, etc. etc.  They also usually run the state crime lab which a lot of local agencies depend on, as well as assistance with investigations.  That is what SLED does here for example. To say it is a non-essential agency out of some knee jerk about CCWs is absurd.

They are fucking incompetent. They fucked up the investigation of the killing of two little girls in eastern Oklahoma. They didn't even have a camera to take pictures of tire tracks in the dirt road before it rained. They asked everyone in the state to bring their 40 cal Glocks in for ballistic testing.
Yeah, they are top notch investigators.
http://newsok.com/article/3479477

one of the most flawed investigations ever.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I am hopeful we will do similar here in Texas next session. I am certain it will at least be brought up. Not sure what other things are on our agenda....

I need to see what bills we are "pre loading".....our Legislature only meets for a very limited time every other year. Some folks consider that a bad thing..... But that gives plenty of time to work on things between sessions- and less time to fuck with the citizens.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#8]
So it's not about "We The People", it's about saving bureaucrats...

Here's a quarter, call someone who cares.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apparently I'm supposed to feel *bad* that a .gov agency might lose money.

As a CCW instructor, I stand to lose a not insignificant sum also.  I am still 100% in favor of this measure.
View Quote

Same, complete constitutional carry would carry would be awesome. Me losing money teaching is well worth the trade.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Or to put it another way: citizens of Oklahoma will pay 8 million less in taxes if the bill passes.
How you frame the argument is very important.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember that letter the OSBI sent to Glock owners to bring their guns in for testing during a murder investigation a few years back

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
"Taxpayers get to keep up to eight million" would be a much better worded statement.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#13]
This is almost as bad as the whiney-assed, crybaby, reserve deputy (daytime accountant, night time "super cop") they interviewed on the radio here in Tulsa last week regarding the re-opening and revision of the Reserve Officer program...

"I spent all this time going to night classes to get my "Advanced" rating (Buck Rogers deputy space cadet badge)...and now they're only going to use me for crowd control and extra security at the county fair. I was about to get to take out my own patrol car..."

So it NOT about "Serve and Protect", it's all about YOUR EGO, sunshine?

Like my dad said (dad is a 30-year retired police veteran) "Kids who didn't get picked for the baseball team."
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I see it more like "Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation will no longer have to waste $8 million under a gun bill that passed the Senate on Thursday."

Good job, fellow Okies!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As a CCW instructor, I stand to lose a not insignificant sum also.  I am still 100% in favor of this measure.

View Quote

same
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think it will be as bad as they are predicting.

I would say that OK has had CCW long enough that well over 90% of people who would actually carry a pistol have applied for a license.

You may have a handful of people that for whatever reason just will not get a license.  A handful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Didn't even know this was going on. What are the chances the governor will veto it? She's a Republican but she seems like a cunt, and she's vetoed pro-gun legislation in the past.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't even know this was going on. What are the chances the governor will veto it? She's a Republican but she seems like a cunt, and she's vetoed pro-gun legislation in the past.
View Quote

From what I have heard she will sign it.

We are also getting a bill that provides legal immunity to employers who have employees that use their CCW on employer property.  That should alleviate a lot of employer fears regarding their people carrying.  I think there are a lot of smaller businesses that would not otherwise mind responsible CCW by employees but their insurance companies put the squash on it for liability reasons.  Hopefully this loosens employer restrictions at more places.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because you are not an asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish more IL CCW instructors were like Jack_T.

I think most of them were like this when they heard Illinois was going to pass a CCW law:

I think it is about a $500 proposition to get an IL CCW, with paying for the 16 hour class and the actual licensing part.

On the Illinois Carry forum, there were instructors speculating that they would make an extra $30,000 per year just from teaching CCW classes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they could contact these ladies and get some tips on how to run a bake sale.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I know a girl that works at the crime lab for them, she was/is very anti gun and about lost it when she found out what I owned.

she got pissed when I took her boy friend and brother out shooting and she wanted one of our leo friends to arrest me for having so many guns, he laughed at her and pissed her off even more
about the only good thing about her was she was fun in bed
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Responsible people will still seek training
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
News article isn't very informative. While this thread title says it's about Constitutional carry, the article doesn't mention that at all.  

Anyways, is that 8 million per year, or over a certain number of years/

Either way, tough shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
DO IT!!!

Not that I care much because I'm moving back to Georgia. But I'm all for another state regaining some of their freedom back.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top